You Don't Know Jack (2011) by THQ $29.99 Preorder - X360/PS3

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I don't normally post deals like this, but I didn't see this one posted.

You Don't Know Jack is available for preorder for $29.99 ($10 off). The Wii version's MSRP is $29.99

icongs_r1.gif

iconxbox360.gif
Normally $39.99

iconps3.gif
Normally $39.99

As an FYI Amazon price matched GameStop on the preorder price of the 360 version of YDKJ. I'm not sure why the PS3 version isn't matched.

iconamazon.gif

iconxbox360.gif
Normally $39.99

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember this, along with Rebel Assault, were some of the very first CD-ROM based games to come out in the mid-90's. Then YDKJ went the Sim City route and there was YDKJ 'everything'..

I got semi-excited when I saw this knew title was in development, I might just have to go ahead and pre-order. thanks for the heads up redjoey!

Original price is $20 lower than other retail games, and now it gets an additional $10 discount before it's even released.

Yeah I'm going to say this is a T.O.A. (turd on arrival)

[quote name='ssjmichael']Original price is $20 lower than other retail games, and now it gets an additional $10 discount before it's even released.

Yeah I'm going to say this is a T.O.A. (turd on arrival)[/QUOTE]

It's a quiz game without accessories. What do you expect?

I enjoyed playing YDKJ with my brother on the PS1 ages ago. I hope this new iteration keeps the same type of questions and humor intact.

[quote name='ssjmichael']
Yeah I'm going to say this is a T.O.A. (turd on arrival)[/QUOTE]

You never played the online series that was available a year ago, did you?

There was a demo episode at http://www.youdontknowjack.com/ but it's been taken down for some reason. Now there's a video of a banana in a toaster.

FWIW, the latest OMX gave it an 8.

+ Really good trivia-game formula; funny questions and delivery.
+ Accessibility and rapid-fire pace make it a perfect party game.
- Presentation-wise, it's a little light on variety and visual flair.
? The YDKJ website lists "New fonts!" as one of the game's features. How awesome is that?

Seems like a solid trivia game, especially with multiplayer.

[quote name='Walt Jay']
Seems like a solid trivia game, especially with multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Online multiplayer if you own the 360 or PS3 version. Strange they'd leave out the PC version like that.

[quote name='knightsdwn']It's a quiz game without accessories. What do you expect?

I enjoyed playing YDKJ with my brother on the PS1 ages ago. I hope this new iteration keeps the same type of questions and humor intact.[/QUOTE]

Maybe a PSN/XBLA release would have been better then. Obviously I haven't played the game so I can't judge realistically whether it's good/bad, I'm just saying, based on the original price and the fact that it's dropped another $10 before release, it raises a red flag in my mind. If the game turns out to be a great then all the better for those here taking a chance on it.

[quote name='Nohbdy']Online multiplayer if you own the 360 or PS3 version. Strange they'd leave out the PC version like that.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I haven't seen the PC version available for pre-order anywhere, which makes me a little nervous. D2D has a page for it, but said page is all but blank: http://www.direct2drive.com/10100/product/Buy-You-Don't-Know-Jack-Download

I'll grab the 360 version if I must, but Jack and the PC are natural allies.

Anyhoo, thanks, OP!

Read the oxm review over the weekend and it seems limited in content, ie questions, but should be great fun, probably going to wait for the under $20 price point.

[quote name='prayformojo']Read the oxm review over the weekend and it seems limited in content, ie questions, but should be great fun, probably going to wait for the under $20 price point.[/QUOTE]

No doubt they'll release a bunch of DLC packs with additional questions and such. When you think of it from that p.o.v., itt actually does make sense to sell this game for cheap with limited amounts of questions, then get people to buy more quiz packs down the line. Sort of the same strategy as selling a printer for dirt cheap and making money off the ink in the future.

Apparently this has some sort of Kinect feature. Not sure what that is. Raise hand to answer a question? I have no idea. Might be pretty stupid. Anyway, I suck at trivia.

[quote name='ssjmichael']No doubt they'll release a bunch of DLC packs with additional questions and such.[/QUOTE]

There's 10 or so question packs already confirmed.

[quote name='mokmoof']Actually, here it is on the PC for $20 at the THQ store: http://store.thq.com/store/thq/en_US/pd/You-Dont-Know-Jack/productID.223249900

Edit: Anyone know whether the THQ Store charges for pre-orders right away, or whether they wait until shipment, Amazon-style?[/QUOTE]

Just in case you missed it, that appears to be a download rather than a retail copy. Wasn't sure based on the "shipment" usage.

edit: They also show a picture of the box saying PC DVD which could add to the confusion. *shrugs*

[quote name='ssjmichael']Just in case you missed it, that appears to be a download rather than a retail copy. Wasn't sure based on the "shipment" usage.[/QUOTE]
It does indeed. I'm at a place in my life where boxes mean nothing to me, so I'm fine with a download. But I am well aware that others feel differently, and so I should have mentioned the digital-only nature of THQ's offer. Sorry about that.

Also, it does look like they charge you soon after you place the order: https://store.thq.com/DRHM/store?Ac...ationPage&SiteID=thq&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE#q3

[quote name='mokmoof']Source?[/QUOTE]

Press release. Also, I was mistaken: there's four DLC packs each featuring 10 episodes.

Always used to play the old ones with my friends at lunch period in high school and online when they had the web version (amongst other Berksys games). When I first heard YDKJ was coming back I was going to buy it regardless, but $10 off makes this a no-brainer. Sold!

[quote name='mokmoof']Not to be a jerk, but I'm not seeing it.

http://investor.thq.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=96376&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1488321[/QUOTE]
Not sure where THEY got the information, but this article also mentions the 4 DLC:
http://www.trueachievements.com/n2461/you-dont-know-jack-dlc-confirmed.htm

Also, GameStop's listing (also $30) mentions, "4 Extra Downloadable Packs (X360/PS3) / 10 Episodes Each" under product details:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=84694

[quote name='yuyak']Not sure where THEY got the information, but this article also mentions the 4 DLC:
http://www.trueachievements.com/n2461/you-dont-know-jack-dlc-confirmed.htm

Also, GameStop's listing (also $30) mentions, "4 Extra Downloadable Packs (X360/PS3) / 10 Episodes Each" under product details:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=84694[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. As with the online multiplayer, the wording here is interesting:

4 Extra Downloadable Packs (X360/PS3) / 10 Episodes Each

Why not PC? Perhaps they're just going out of their way to say "Online features and downloadable content (except on the Wii)."

[quote name='zenintrude']Will these support the Buzz or Scene-It controllers?

THIS IS IMPORTANT.[/QUOTE]

Funny, I bought Scene-it as soon as I confirmed that I don't have to use those pointless controllers. I prefer using my regular wireless 360 controllers that also happen to have 4 colored buttons on them that I already know the color configuration of without looking.

[quote name='Kerig']Funny, I bought Scene-it as soon as I confirmed that I don't have to use those pointless controllers. I prefer using my regular wireless 360 controllers that also happen to have 4 colored buttons on them that I already know the color configuration of without looking.[/QUOTE]

It's also way cheaper to buy the Buzz/Scene-it Controllers than it is to buy regular controllers for those that don't do regular multiplay. It seems the UI on the game is set up for regular controllers, as well.

IIRC the Scene-It controllers are just a D-Pad (that is the button) and the XBYA

This game was incredibly fun on the PS1. "Screwing" people over in the game was always funny. Then again, it's been many years since I've played so who knows how well it'll play out on the PS3/360.

It is not important because they do not have a dedicated button for Screwing Your Neighbor.

[quote name='reddjoey']IIRC the Scene-It controllers are just a D-Pad (that is the button) and the XBYA[/QUOTE]

Yep. With optional use of the trigger instead of D-pad if playing with a standard controller.

In a pinch I'm sure the average host has 2 controllers, a Guitar and a DJ Turntable to use for player 3 & 4. DJ Turntable is the best, it includes a bonus built-in mini lazy susan for snacks and drinks.

YDKJ has always relied on the buzz-in method before doing anything else, including answering or choosing to screw, but if they did let you use the buzz controllers, the screw option could be activated by pressing the buzz-in button again.

I actually asked if the Scene It controllers were supported on their Facebook page and they confirmed that those will work with YDKJ.

Thanks OP. My wife loved the old, original game back on the PC. The OXM review was highly positive, plus $10 off makes this a good deal. Kudos for the heads up!

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Thanks OP. My wife loved the old, original game back on the PC. The OXM review was highly positive, plus $10 off makes this a good deal. Kudos for the heads up![/QUOTE]
Is there a link to the OXM review? I can't seem to find it via simple google search. Any indications as to how the "Kinect support" works on this game?

[quote name='yuyak']Is there a link to the OXM review? I can't seem to find it via simple google search. Any indications as to how the "Kinect support" works on this game?[/QUOTE]

The review did not mention anything about kinect.

I think I had every PC incarnation except Sports...Even The Ride was fun for a while.
Great games. Loved the shortlived TV show. ["Someone on this show will drive away in this BRAND NEW CAR"]

I think the OXM review mentioned how many questions [or episodes] were in this release, anyone have that number?

In. It was great on the PC, but should be even better on the big screen.

I could see it dropping in price quick, not because it's not good, but because it's a trivia game. Then again, there are probably enough older gamers who played the PC, PS, or web versions to give it legs with slow steady sales.

Buying it day one anyhow. My friends love YDKJ (with Volume 3 being the favorite, "Impossible Questions" and all).

Amazon hurry and match the PS3 price so I can pre-order!

I remember playing this on the PC too. Dont remember a whole lot except for it cracked me up and my wife didnt mind playing it. Good enough for me.

bread's done
Back