Marriage and Gaming

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#61 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:09 PM

My wife and I lived together for a few years before getting married. I think that was a smart move. My brother did the opposite moving in together after they got married. I think they lasted 6 or 7 months before splitting up. It would have saved him a lot of time and money if they decided to try living together for a year before making that commitment.

#62 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:12 PM

Yep. But I understand people have religious/moral reasons for not living together first, and that's their right. I never try to push people on it.

Just seems like way to big a risk for me to every remotely consider it. You just don't really know someone, or know what level of compromises are required, until you live with someone and spend nearly all your free time around them under the same roof.

Better to find out you're not compatible/willing to make the needed compromises before getting married and having all the legal hassles to deal with IMO. Living together first isn't fool proof by any means, but you probably at least have a lot less relationships ending in a year or less. Most of those that end so quickly are probably due to incompatibilities that could have been realized in the same time frame of co-habitating.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#63 BattleChicken

BattleChicken

IM IN UR THRED!!1

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:00 PM

My gaming habits didn't change at all after getting married. But over the last 7 months since my son was born, I can count the amount of times I've sat down to play games on one hand.

The same thing happened to me. I've just shifted to games I can play slowly over time, or games I can play with one hand.

Civ 5 has gotten more play time than anything else since BattleChicken Jr. was born.
Pretend something awesome is written here.

#64 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:13 AM

Do yourself a favor and buy a 2nd tv so that you can play your games while she watches her crappy reality shows.

#65 Sarang01

Sarang01

My Use Name Is Saber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:28 AM

Rodimus I respect what you're saying about if she doesn't like them. Make sure she doesn't like them because she thinks they're "Boy's toys" or just "toys" or any of that bullshit.
We have enough of those lies spreading around and they need to be nipped in the bud. We need more girl gamers to increase the dating and attractive pool. It shouldn't be that the Asian girls are the only hot girls playing games. I'm sure all the girl gamers here are fairly attractive but I still have a sneaking suspicion they're like unicorns or the exception to the rule.
Also I'd just like girl gamers because more tend to like RPG's and if I can find more J-RPG fans then thumbs up. There are too many FPS fans(on the 360) and too few people with my taste on XBL.
Posted Image

"Friends let friends eat each other out.".

#66 dlostluv

dlostluv

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:10 AM

Do yourself a favor and buy a 2nd tv so that you can play your games while she watches her crappy reality shows.

I thought about that along time ago actually, preferably just for the sake in case her friends come over i won't hog the main room tv and maybe go play in a computer room or something (i got hdmi and a old set of vga cables for my xbox and turtlebeach head phones). Whats really funny is the fact that i'm alil more focused on getting ready to move and sorta focusing on either finding a better career or at least moving to a different department within the company (i work for a bank as a teller but i want to move to operations). Now i know once i have kids thats gonna be a game changer but its a part of life and i figured i had over 15 years of gaming under my belt (and worked at a gamestop only to leave because customers just annoyed me with some dumb stuff). I really appreciate everyones input- man i love this forum.