CAGcast #225: PS3 Blood Libel

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:16 AM

Shipwreck, with help from Wombat and Cheapy, examines the PS3 2011 exclusive lineup and wonders what went wrong. Also, blood libel.

Download - 109 minutes, 66MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Edited by CheapyD, 14 January 2011 - 07:32 AM.

#2 200STM

200STM

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:43 AM

Sweet CAGcast! While playing NFL Blitz 2000!!! on NES64

#3 Master Troll

Master Troll

Whaat is this place?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:47 AM

Awesome, downloading right in time for sleep.

I dont know guys
idiots are a diamond dozen nowadays :)

Posted Image

#4 BuckFush187

BuckFush187

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:50 AM

thanx, westside!

#5 FishyJoe

FishyJoe

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:07 AM

i had a flutter in my soul that told me to check for a new cagcast, and here it is. Now to fall asleep to the wonderful banter of two jews and a ginger. (feel free to use that as your trio's name in rock band 3)

#6 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:10 AM

I did a double take on the title. How topical.

#7 hectorlaparka

hectorlaparka

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:17 AM

Blood Libel sounds like a band featured on Guitar Hero: Warriors Of Rock.

#8 zzebedee

zzebedee

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:31 AM

Won't download for me for some reason on itunes, it shows it in the list in my subscribed podcasts bit but doesn't download.
Anyone else having this?

#9 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:43 AM

aside from shipwreck you 2 (cheapy and wombat) do come off like microsoft fanboys. actually listen to the shit you say in your podcasts some thing you nitpick about with the ps3 console and ps4 games youll gloss over or ignore when it comes to xbox games and consooles. just own up to it already and stop denying it. btw cheapy its hard to take your opinion on games seriously anyway when you whine about how if a game is too much of a challenge you dont want to play it and you play most games on easy.

as far as wishing the ps3 was better cmon already i wish xbox had better games and more variety in games. the lack of variety and the instability of the system itself is why i never bought one.

#10 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

They have their preferences, but I dont find them hugely unfair. The 360 has very robust online functionality, strength in particular kinds of games and perhaps most importantly, most of your friends probably own one. They've criticized 360 when appropriate.

Its ok to have preferences.

#11 odin08

odin08

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

That pac-man show sounds terrible. Also, I think that Sony need to get their act together. They always seem to drop the ball with their systems when they could do so much more.

#12 Loonknight

Loonknight

Dirk The Daring

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

The Cagcast has been "dumping" on the PS3 and Sony since I've started to listen to this podcast, it is usually a short snicker or comment here or there such as "Nobody has a Go, that doesn't count." I'm glad at least you guys are trying to "help Sony"

Now I would be disappointed with the PS3's online service or the Wii's online service if I had to pay-to-play online like I have to do with my Xbox360. Microsoft essentially fooled everyone last gen when they started Xbox Live and its pay-to-play service adding this new premium in order to play with your friends online and back then paying for something like that made sense. The crack that is playing with friends online was what Microsoft was banking on and has helped continue to improve the Xbox Live infrastructure to what it is today. They essentially have pulled the wool over the collective gaming minds of the community and I applaud them for their mastery of the Jedi Mind trick they employed and applaud Microsoft for continuing to keep fooling us all into thinking you still need to pay-to-play online. So bravo.

Now, I am not dumping on the Xbox360. It has excellent games on it, and great indie titles as Wombat has pointed out recently, but I'll be damned if I'm going to support a pay-to-play model I don't believe in anymore. I can stream Netflix on my Wii, my iPod, my Mac, my PC, my PS3 for free, but not on my Xbox...why is that??? We need to rise up against this before other companies start charging us to pay-to-play online because they want more revenue. Oh wait there are companies that do that already. I'm looking at you Electronic Arts and speaking of here is my Metal of Honor key for my PS3 version that I'll not be using
Spoiler

At any rate, I enjoy the show and the Cagcast so keep it up guys.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ Raise your bananas ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

#13 aktivity

aktivity

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

I think it really comes down to pricing and not so much the games. As consequence of the pricing you'll more likely to have friends with an Xbox, so you'll naturally drift towards an Xbox so you can play with them. Most of the time Sony tends to have the better exclusives. It's the reason why I choose a PS3 instead of a X360. The PC being my preferred gaming platform made this decision easier for me, since most Xbox games get ported eventually.

Personally coming from the PC I just couldn't justify paying for Live. I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was getting scammed. Even more so when I took into consideration that most of the services like Netflix don't even make it over here in Europe, not to mention the ads. I will agree that Sony needs to do something about how they promote PSN games though.

#14 HustlerKid

HustlerKid

The Real Huey Freeman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:53 AM

I thought I was the only one who noticed how much they rag on the PS3...its pretty annoying.Yeah I know I dont have to listen to the show but I do enjoy the banter. I suggest you guys realize that you do have PS3 fans that listen to your show, some that cant afford to get a 360 too.

Edited by HustlerKid, 14 January 2011 - 11:16 AM.

GTABlueKid.png

#15 Kisses

Kisses

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

i hate this preorder thing with DA2. i think i will wait for DA2 to drop in price to balance out the cost of the DLC.
As for PS3. i love it. i play it every day but i hate XMB with passion! and i think HOME was a waste of money and time for Sony.
in 2011 i think i buy more games on ps3 than on xbox because of those exclusive J-RPGs but it's me, i like this stuff.
P.S. never commented on show before, feels good (^_^)

#16 Broo

Broo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:41 AM

aside from shipwreck you 2 (cheapy and wombat) do come off like microsoft fanboys. actually listen to the shit you say in your podcasts some thing you nitpick about with the ps3 console and ps4 games youll gloss over or ignore when it comes to xbox games and consooles. just own up to it already and stop denying it. btw cheapy its hard to take your opinion on games seriously anyway when you whine about how if a game is too much of a challenge you dont want to play it and you play most games on easy.

as far as wishing the ps3 was better cmon already i wish xbox had better games and more variety in games. the lack of variety and the instability of the system itself is why i never bought one.

I thought they were XBox fanboys. I thought that was part of the schtick. I mean, look at the color of the site.

#17 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:51 AM

you play most games on easy.

I've played one game on Easy, Metro 2033. I can't remember any other game that I've not played on the default difficulty.

Edited by CheapyD, 14 January 2011 - 12:02 PM.

#18 HustlerKid

HustlerKid

The Real Huey Freeman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

I thought they were XBox fanboys. I thought that was part of the schtick. I mean, look at the color of the site.

good point. i can understand cheapy being a fanboy, but i thought wombat had some class lol (jk, jk)

GTABlueKid.png

#19 Big-T

Big-T

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

I never post but feel I needed to agree on how Cheapy and Wombat do come off as huge Xbox fanboys. I love the show and will listen to it every week but I do get very annoyed with the fanboysm .

#20 repete

repete

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:18 PM

seems like there is going to be some sarah palin talk
Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 sheppyboy2000

sheppyboy2000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

seems like there is going to be some sarah palin talk

Either some Sarah Palin talk or them pesky christians spreading rumors about how terrible jews need childrens blood for their rituals and traditions. I really, really, really despise how often people in the political realm misappropriate words.

I am curious, however, how 2011 is going wrong with PS3 exclusives... 2010, I can understand if you're just not into Mag and such, but 2011?

#22 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

I can tell you what the PS3 is seriously lacking: RPG powerhouses from Squaresoft.

If you look back at the libraries of both the PS1 and PS2 they are overrun with Japanese RPGs and many of the best ones, some would even say the best ones ever made, are from Squaresoft.

Square and Enix are one entity now, they also own Eidos, and are able to call upon the wonderful studio that is Level-5 to produce superb products time and time again. Sony needs to be throwing cash at them, locking up exclusives, and marketing the living hell out of the titles.

Fucking seriously Sony = http://en.wikipedia....mes#PlayStation

One spot where 2011 is already going horribly wrong for Sony is the whole cracked wide-open private signing keys made public because Sony failed to use a random number mess. If piracy becomes rampant for them then the hardware sales will seriously spike but the utter ease of the hack could cause software sales to plummet.

I adore my PS3 and some of the best gaming in my lifetime was done on the PS1 but Sony has this strange curse this gen where they step in shit at every single turn and it is heartbreaking and baffling to watch.

Edited by Fell Open Ian, 14 January 2011 - 02:08 PM.

#23 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

I don't consider myself an Xbox fanboy, I have a preference, but that is different than outward hate. I have alsways said that I like the PS3, even in this show I said that. If anything the point I was trying to make over the last two shows, is how little it really matters as the best games lately have been multiplatform.

#24 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

I don't consider myself an Xbox fanboy, I have a preference, but that is different than outward hate. I have alsways said that I like the PS3, even in this show I said that. If anything the point I was trying to make over the last two shows, is how little it really matters as the best games lately have been multiplatform.

Look at your shirt. It's GREEEEEEEEEEN! Case closed.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#25 dsheinem

dsheinem

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:12 PM

I'm a big fan of the show, but this is the first time I've been compelled to comment and disagree with some of your points:

Wombat: I'm not sure why you are complaining about the pre-order scheme for Dragon Age 2. I can understand being upset if you didn't know about it and missed out, but you did know about it and chose not to pre-order. It's actually a clever marketing scheme - the most devout fans of the DA franchise and Bioware (such as yourself) would probably know about it and pre-order accordingly. The novelty of the marketing scheme got people talking (in favor or against) and raised awareness. This is the kind of fanservice that is smart, not dumb.

Shipwreck: You are right to point to diminishing returns of sequels on the PS3 - that's a very valid point and innovation would certainly behoove them. But, trying to figure out what games will be a "system seller" seems pointless at this point in a console's lifespan. What new 360 exclusives do you think will attract new users? Their big exclusive this year is Gears of War 3 - which will sell great to people who bought a 360 already for Gears 1 or 2 and the like - but probably not move many new consoles. The reason MS has been moving so many consoles so well is A) their back catalog, B) Kinect (which is smartly marketed) and C) RRODs. What new Wii games will sell the Wii? the PSP? the DS? I really don't think that there is a single upcoming "core demographic" game that will create new users on any of these systems.

Other than being a little whinier than usual, it was a great show as always, but I just can't see where you are coming from on these points.

#26 gordiet

gordiet

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

Love the CAGCast... look forward to it every week...

I just wanted to say I hope you don't change the year-end review show one bit. It's been my favorite show for the past few years, and I think the way you go console by console & genre by genre should stay. It's a riot that Cheapy hasn't picked a favorite Wii game, or even turn his Wii on, for at least three years now. Fuck the PS3 fanboys who get all pissy that their system isn't as good as the 360. And besides, it's your favorite games, not a definitive list of the best of "whatever" category.
[URL="http://zaamit.com/content/gamercards.aspx"]Posted Image[/URL]

#27 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

I'm a big fan of the show, but this is the first time I've been compelled to comment and disagree with some of your points:

Wombat: I'm not sure why you are complaining about the pre-order scheme for Dragon Age 2. I can understand being upset if you didn't know about it and missed out, but you did know about it and chose not to pre-order. It's actually a clever marketing scheme - the most devout fans of the DA franchise and Bioware (such as yourself) would probably know about it and pre-order accordingly. The novelty of the marketing scheme got people talking (in favor or against) and raised awareness. This is the kind of fanservice that is smart, not dumb.

Shipwreck: You are right to point to diminishing returns of sequels on the PS3 - that's a very valid point and innovation would certainly behoove them. But, trying to figure out what games will be a "system seller" seems pointless at this point in a console's lifespan. What new 360 exclusives do you think will attract new users? Their big exclusive this year is Gears of War 3 - which will sell great to people who bought a 360 already for Gears 1 or 2 and the like - but probably not move many new consoles. The reason MS has been moving so many consoles so well is A) their back catalog, B) Kinect (which is smartly marketed) and C) RRODs. What new Wii games will sell the Wii? the PSP? the DS? I really don't think that there is a single "core demographic" game that will create new users on any of these systems.

Other than being a little whinier than usual, it was a great show as always, but I just can't see where you are coming from on these points.

You should comment more often, I like your points. One thing I'd say to the "at this point in a console's lifespan" though is that there's a lot of life left in these consoles. I'd just like to see Sony do something rather than riding it out.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#28 HustlerKid

HustlerKid

The Real Huey Freeman

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:20 PM

I agree with you there. One of the reasons I wanted an Xbox last gen was its Bioware exclusives(KOTOR, Jade Empire, that stuff) and now they develop most if not all of their games on PS3 as well now.Same goes for FF13 but vice versa, that wasn't that good tho.

I seriously believe that when it comes to commercial exclusives that Sony has been doing a better job. At least with originality this gen. Infamous, Uncharted, Resistance, are all really good IPs that were created this gen. Now rather or not these new franchises are being milked to death...maybe but still there new.

GTABlueKid.png

#29 shogunieyasu

shogunieyasu

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

Cheapy, Shipwreck, Wombat:

The criticism of PSN integration is completely fair and quite accurate (though not all gamers care about those aspects of the console). Until Blue Ray Players became cheap, PS3 fanboys could criticize the lack of a Blue Ray player on the Xbox, though again, lots of people don't care. Personally, I hate all Microsoft products.

The real point is that while game reviewers and a few hard-core gamers may have both systems, your average gamer doesn't. I have a PS3, I play games on my iPhone, and recently I can play some games through Steam on my Apple computer. So, the only console experience that I know is the PS3. Your criticism of the PS3 is rooted in the fact that you own all the systems and have the luxury of choosing which to play. Most of us don't have that luxury, so swipes at the PS3 (particularly the off-the-cuff comments in the average podcast that aren't thoughtful and contextualized) just seem obnoxious.

I love your podcast, though, and I don't really care about your Xbox leanings. Obnoxious can be funny. If I want to hear PS3 cheerleading, I listen to the IGN Beyond podcast.

PS3 CAGS: friend me on PSN at "casparnic"

#30 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:23 PM

I have no problem with pre-order bonuses, but I felt the short time frame for so much content, and to do it so far in advance was a bad decision. I think they would get more pre-orders by throwing this in as a pre-order surprise closer to release, instead of pissing off people that may have missed out due to bad timing.