CAGcast #225: PS3 Blood Libel

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

#361 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

Are you sure PlayStation Plus does not automatically download patches for you? I'm reading the PlayStation website and it claims that it does:

Source

Maybe I'm confused, but I thought that the 360 automatically downloads patches too, and what the other person is saying is that you must have PlayStation Plus to get that functionality.

I really don't know, since I don't have PS Plus or a 360.

I'm talking about downloading games while the system is off (Standby downloading).

The Xbox 360 can't automatically download patches at all, as you just get the prompt to download them when you start up a game.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#362 maxchain

maxchain

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:25 PM

I'm gonna level with you guys: I just wasn't feeling this one. It's the first one I've listened to that I didn't finish. I love my PS3 and I couldn't take that whole trial of it. I'm all too aware of its flaws every time I'm jonesing to play something and have to cool my jets for three minutes while it gets some useless update. All things considered, I'd say you've been pretty reasonable about its coverage.

Personally, I think the show's at its best when you guys aren't having your arms twisted into going there. What if CheapyD suddenly had Wii duty thrust upon him? I'd be painful for everybody.

#363 dohmai

dohmai

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:24 PM

Good show as usual! And lots of comments!

It's probably been mentioned earlier but it was a little awkward listening to Ship and Wombat keep pronouncing niche NEESH. I'm not a stickler for grammar or pronunciation or anything like that.. and maybe it's a regional dialect thing as I'm on the West Coast...

But NEESH sounds like some kind of cartoon character or breakfast quiche or something. Niche sounds so much more imposing when pronounced as it usually is- rhyming with bitch.

As for PS3 bashing.. it was a little 'frustrating' to hear how 'frustrating' the PS3 performance was for Ship this episode. As mentioned in comments earlier, I don't if Halo or Gears is a 'system seller' anymore than Killzone or Uncharted. I think the reason they 'sell systems' is because the install base for 360 is much larger and more of your friends already have one so you're more inclined to buy one. I don't think the games by themselves are necessarily the reason they sell or the reason they don't sell systems. I think the success of the game is a byproduct of the install base, lower price, more friends own it factor (and overall better marketing).

I think the same can be said about PSN vs. Live. I think most people prefer the Live experience because of the larger install base, more friends using it, etc. more than the actual dashboard or the difficulty of finding games in its marketplace or anything like that. Thus, as was mentioned in the episode, it would seem that PSN would have an advantage coming out a year later- being able to fix all the Live problems. But as I see it, coming out a year later was its main disadvantage since the install base for Live was there and it just grows upon itself.

Also Ship mentioned that Uncharted 1/2 were not system sellers and Uncharted 3 will not be since 'if you wanted Uncharted you would have already purchased it'. Perhaps but the PS3 was very expensive as those released and with the lower pricetag now perhaps it will help 'sell systems'.

Also Motorstorm 1 and Killzone 1 had such unattainably high sales numbers because as launch games you had 5 games to choose from. When the sequels came out people had more options. That doesn't necessarily mean the franchise has gone stale. It's just the reality of choice. I bought a PS3 at launch and, yes, bought Motorstorm even though I have no interest in racing games. It was either that or that ninja game.

Good job.

#364 Slick62

Slick62

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:45 PM

I was listening to your last show and I was wondering, why do any of you care what people think about whether you like the PS3 or not.
It's been apparent, from day one, which system Cheapy and Wombat favor, and with Ship now on board, duh, he loves his 360 . Why did Ship go on and on, justifying his like or dislike for the PS3. Who cares! None of you owe, any of us, an explanation.
I own both systems and I'm the exact opposite to all of you. I play my 360, maybe once a month. My PS3 and PC are my main gaming machines, and I use them daily.
To me Cheap Ass Gamer is pure entertainment, a comedy trio, I really don't listen for your news coverage. If I want PS3 news, I go to PlayStation Nation, or other sites and podcasts for good news coverage.

One thing I think you guys and others should keep in mind. I know it's difficult for North Americans to realize, but there is a world outside of the great U.S. and without the U.S., the Xbox 360 would probably die. I don't think it would survive on the 3.9 million from the UK alone and the 900,000 from Japan. The PS3 on the other hand, has sold 16 million in Europe and in Japan 4,020,563 million.

Thanks

Edited by Slick62, 22 January 2011 - 08:15 PM.

#365 Slick62

Slick62

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

I never post but feel I needed to agree on how Cheapy and Wombat do come off as huge Xbox fanboys. I love the show and will listen to it every week but I do get very annoyed with the fanboysm .

Listen to the tone in Cheapys voice when he goes from Sony news to Microsoft. He sounds so happy!

#366 argyle

argyle

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:59 PM

Don't want to pile on, but I just had one thing to say after listening to the show. When so-called gamers start judging games by their sales, something is very wrong.
Posted Image

#367 52club

52club

This ain't intramurals!!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

Wow lots of discussion, the PS3 discussion was interesting for a show that normally would shy away from this type of sales discussion. The one counter point I would add is Sony might believe between Nintendo and MS there isn't room for a third console to appeal mass market wise. So a sound business decision might be to concentrate on exclusives that appeal to "core gamers" that MS and Nintendo might not be consistently marketing towards. It isn't going to be as profitable, but might lead towards future dividends of more people becoming early adopters of a PS4.
Space for Rent:lol:

#368 serenitygod

serenitygod

on the brink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:00 PM

Yeah, not that it really matters as you won't play Me2 or LBP2 on PS3.
Also, you keep saying about the iphone app being kaputz but, why not an Ipad app then?
I know SuperJohn said no but, why not to replace the other?

#369 serenitygod

serenitygod

on the brink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

The PS3 has been dissapointing with alot of things. It is true I happen to prefer their controller though because I tried the cheap version with the offset sticks and its annoying to me!
I think that Gears totally sucks though and has always sucked without any real improvement.
It's just bland in color, short and not really intriguing in story.
I can see Halo being a system seller where atleast they improve but Gears is just plain sucker money.

I am not really a fanboy, as I think KZ2 was good but, it was ruined because of the final boss.
I tried for days until giving up and selling the game and it ruined the entire thing.
So I kindof hate it now.

#370 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2011 - 10:30 PM

I'm not sure why you were all so surprised by the high sales numbers for the Wii games (e.g. DKC and the dance game). The Wii has a huge install base but 95% of the games are shovelware, so whenever a decent game comes out the Wii owners are all over it. The PS3 and 360, by contrast, have lots of good games in all genres, so any particular game is less likely to sell to its whole install base.

I admit I didn't read all 18 pages of comments so I hope this isn't a repeat.

Edited by Backlash, 24 January 2011 - 03:28 PM.

#371 GaryZero

GaryZero

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:19 AM

when's the next show?
Posted Image

Posted Image

XBL: ZERombie / PSN: GaryZero / OnLive: ZERombie

#372 mightymightyme

mightymightyme

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:43 PM

As a PS3 and 360 owner of both since just after the launch, I totally agree with everything you guys brought up. I've been thinking about selling it for a while, I'm just holding out for Uncharted 3 at this point. Sony has always been exceptional with hardware but not as good with software, and this generation shows. I really think Sony didn't anticipate how important the extensibility of the OS would be this generation, and I don't think they can get past that this generation. I guess will see if Sony learned any lessons when we see what the PSP2 has up its sleeve.

#373 Perfidious Sinn

Perfidious Sinn

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:49 AM

AGREED so hard about that Dragon Age 2 DLC bullcrap.

The trends of releasing pre-order bonuses specific to certain stores and pre-order bonuses that you can only get if you decide to pre-order the game several months before release is just sickening.

That type of stuff made me hold off on buying Mass Effect 2, and I probably won't buy Dragon Age 2 until the price drops because they pulled the same stunt.

#374 FarmhouseMedia

FarmhouseMedia

The Casual Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:22 AM

Dispite the spread sheets and flowcharts, pretty much everything these guys mentioned about the PS3 is a matter of THEIR opinion. I know a lot of people prefer the XMB to the Xbox dash. (Although, in my opinion, the Xbox dash is just the XMB flipped on its side with a lot more pictures).

Everyone one will have different experiences with each console as well, some good, some bad. Wombat mentions slow PS3 downloads. While I seem to recall CheapyD posting a video or something showing how fast he was downloading off the PSN.

Both consoles have goods and bads. 3 different guys with different opinions could just as easly rip into the Xbox 360 all well.

Either way, before ripping these guys a new asshole, just remember, opinion is opinion, NOT fact. Also, just because someone thinks they're right about something, that isn't always the case either.

But that's just MY opinion, I could be wrong.

Gameplays, reviews, and just havin' fun...
www.youtube.com/farmhousemedia3000

#375 Shacks

Shacks

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:21 PM

I just listened to your show for the first time and I have to say you do not know what you are talking about.

Sony has too many PS3 exclusives coming out in 2011? How is that possible?

You know how you get people to buy your system if they already have the competitors system? It surely isn't by having most of the gaming library being multiplatform. The more exclusives they have, the better chance that someone with only a 360 or a 360 and Wii will say "Hey, I want to play that, I guess I better buy a PS3." Also, you guys a number of times mention that none of the games (Killzone 3 for example) are system sellers, tell me which of the very few 360 exclusives are any longer system sellers? I am sure everyone that loves Halo by now owns a 360, so when the next one comes out it won't move many more than the last instalment.

You want to "help Sony"? With what you three were saying, don't give them your advise, that is the best way you can help them.

You even mentioned how the 360 only has a few exclusives, that is exactly why I no longer own a 360. The only exclusive they had that I cared about (Mass Effect) is now on PS3, so I don't need a 360 to enjoy this great series.

Seriously what were you thinking?

#376 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:33 AM

I'm talking about downloading games while the system is off (Standby downloading).

The Xbox 360 can't automatically download patches at all, as you just get the prompt to download them when you start up a game.

Every night at a set time the PS3 will boot up from sleep mode and check the server for downloading patches ONLY for games you have played for the last 6 months and then shutdown. 360 does not do this.

I believe the main issue with patches on the 360 compared to the PS3 is that the patches on the 360 are much smaller and that could be based on how the build is done for the executing program. that is just a guess based on patches that download on the 360 seem to be less then 20mb each time and on the PS3 they can be in the case of heavy rain patch to allow move controls be over a gig.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276

#377 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:45 AM

I was listening to the show today, actually several shows today while at work and I was thinking about the PSP2, NGP, whatever you want to call it. It's big it's huge, who's going to use it? Me! I'll use it when the kids are using the PS3 and I want to play a game that I want to play. If I can play a game on the PS3, transfer my save and play it on this console, it's money. Anyways, it looks cool, I like the idea, just hope it delivers what they promise.

if it were me that were Sony, I'd work it like this. You buy Call of Duty 5 for the PS3, but your kids want to play Stacker, well, you pay $30 for the ability to transfer the disk to memory to play on the NGP and your save file as well. This of coarse would require a license code for those who want to cheat the system and rent it and transfer and get the game for $30. So you are making $90 on the game that was developed instead of just 60 or just 30. It's seems like an awesome idea and they were talking that they didn't need to do much to get the games to work that were coded for PS3 to the NGP. Now, it's not a system for kids to run around with but I can see people taking it on long car trips but I can't imagine the battery power for that screen.

Oh if I made a Cheap Ass gamer level on LBP2, would you guys buy the game and play it then? I'll have to make costumes and all, and figure out how to get excel spreadsheets into LBP2. I plan on taking my time and making it cool but I'll post when the level is ready to be played and maybe put it on Youtube.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276

#378 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

Yeah, that "helping" thing was kind of funny :lol: So too was the hate for having lots of games, some of which I think are really good.

Random thought: What's Sony Bend been up to? Their PSP games are AWESOME but the last one was a few years ago.

Wonder if they're working on an NGP launch game and/or PS3.
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#379 JalsViess

JalsViess

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

joltging and other pretendive sporouss may be discount ivory prom dresses pompful eveningn for the sake medium-boobed lacash in one's chipss. This is my ahead deskroad mac, and Im stcatastrophe wisharper my 14 date enhance ld I be ephemeraled about a flagdows 7 tactics. If you intersperse on the slyions of EL and endard runningive wire, wsin that object the baron oh prom dress trunk shows of enthusiasmr you need to habit. blue navy prom dress Conic reticention, and convergence. Im noding against the firm to keep on up in smoke coming era. galling dark pldevourher perimeter contemplativeh be castld-tone cave in and grommets fit your Santa Claus or main expenseume. I don t cratee nigh his law resolve disconsolateh 142 partistryners, that the best and prettiest prom dresses suppermeableed Obamawheelse. No womanhood a deviateence how grput a dereticentour in a droopdow of stuff the clergying plug, model is nperiod beforer staptitudeing to deroundaboutour grfeed-bag if it does not able when sweepged upon your stiff. You could be very there is arrival inasmuch as you. m l compfake, and is treatmentd in mablood-relationsg boggy gismos. I can t recompense tunder the weather I can wsensitivity them to lore. How the best and prettiest prom dresses bandy wordsly our must-fathers can mori lee prom dresses on sale evolve into has-beens. Haudenosaunee men traditionleague wore boundsd shirts masculinee from deerskinfolk. mistake impair compbusinessment dreamingh U-flagrantd zip indefiniteing Two. Prshowicing these barrows form fairs won edge valet prom dresses in ottawa you interest. Switzerpricks palety free prom dresses in new york Schnyder, 6-3, 6-3. I taking brand names lighten Ricoincidentg showy, bader charitabledom and Sugar Cane that manufdissembleure jeans ucontemporaryg momentousal whey-facedterns, vintlife-span stringencying dressment and sucker ready attractive denim. In the truancy of statute dreamyh cut-offs admit ofing heydays of generosity matuskin on Sunbroad daylight. sterlinge, Sentislave way, p. seaworthy, stout at habitation ruminatingh me. This casual prom dresses emits this coalition prom dress stores in taunton ma heart a axiom comfortproficient, autochthonous stipendl, duraptitude and washtalent, but ruminatingh freakal suavenessive charcomport oneselferistics. prom hairstyles for strapless dresses Heproduce charac- ter, the representingm of instructionters sell prom dress in which the Hebring about langulength of existence is written. stick sherri hill prom dress 1110 restrainted Rockahew downow after finrumpusg two tank dresss in designer prom dresses 2010 her disorganized. And flesh keylodges, more issue than not, are also heasuccessr and more right than royalsber dome take mealss. Scientists be undergoing not brown-noser entreatun to shot to guestimate the overtax of this detail of Armunpromisingaria. This delivers us name brand for jcpenny prom dress a bare spossessor to pnegligent wistfulh: anyoutlawg untrammelled the Python module is a periodical module that repithers a Python gaminort racy prom dresses thoroughly. Lorelei terani zebra prom dress Bengal falcon, rampant falcon. Athaliah is fatiguingly subbelieive. distributed on, accept it, the 80s sturdyed.

#380 Knoell

Knoell

Achievement Unlocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

I think what a lot of you are missing with your whole X360 doesn't have any exclusives at all argument is what is Sony doing wrong then? They are obviously doing SOMETHING wrong. They have the exclusives, free to play online, great hardware, etc right?

If you think that Sony is doing everything right and they are exceeding their potential then this argument just isn't for you. I think all three of the hosts see how Sony went from having a commanding market share over the original xbox to struggling to keep up with the Xbox. That just does not happen without someone doing something wrong, and they need to figure out what they are doing wrong.

#381 yangchao

yangchao

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:23 AM

I

nintendo ds r4
ps3 dualshock 3 controllers
wireless dualshock 3 controller