CAGcast #225: PS3 Blood Libel

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

#31 shogunieyasu

shogunieyasu

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:36 PM

I have no problem with pre-order bonuses, but I felt the short time frame for so much content, and to do it so far in advance was a bad decision. I think they would get more pre-orders by throwing this in as a pre-order surprise closer to release, instead of pissing off people that may have missed out due to bad timing.

Wombat: but if companies cared more about making people happy and less about making money, they would just give all their content away for free. This shit makes money. Contests, sales, limited-time offers--it's all bullshit. Saying that, I did pre-order DAII so I'm stoked.

Rise up comrades, and overthrow these capitalist game distributors! Isn't that sort of the CAG ethos?

PS3 CAGS: friend me on PSN at "casparnic"

#32 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

Well let's see you pay $40-60 a year for XBOX live gold that gives you better web services. I pay $100 a year for our 4 accounts at home, so they are all gold at $25 a piece. Saying that and the annoying PS3 installs, I pay for Playstation plus so it downloads updates in the background on the PS3 which really helps and feel that it equals itself to xbox live gold, plus you get a lot of cool free games(do you guys do this? I've gotten about $80 of free games for a $50 service). As for new PSN releases? Just goto new releases, all the items are there. I want to know what free stuff I get from PS Plus, I goto Plus and the games are there. I enjoy watching Qore(which is pretty much a magazine that I get for free now with Plus). I pay for both Plus and Live and get value from both, I'm a happy consumer. Looking for old PSN items are a little frustrating but I really don't agree with your listing issues. I'm a little pissed with Kinect since they said that it would have integration with Netflix and it doesn't which I think they didn't include it purposely because they wanted people to buy movies from zune to use the Kinect and I didn't buy it. it works well with ESPN, so I'm happy with that.

I suggest the CAG team replay Heavy Rain with the Playstation Move, it's a totally different game that for me made the game a solid 7 to a solid 9.5, it loses .5 for install time. It's definatly the only Move game in my opinion for real gamers to play interactivly and sit on the couch. I am looking forward to Sorcery for the same reason.

The Playstation is not going downhill, it's so much better system then the xbox which isn't the best right now. Not playing LBP2???????????? That is frustrating because you don't give it a fair chance. Sackboy jumps the way he does because he is a sackperson not a real person. Now there is jumppacks for more jumping goodness, Seriously, it's the best console game of the year. There is so much online content, there is a story mode in this version and you can make your own games in this new version. Have you guys play any of the 2 + million levels online? I think it's sad that you all just dismiss it since the game covers multiple genres. Please rethink this and give it a fair try and play online. It's a lot of fun with 3 or 4 players. Maybe all play with each other during a show.

I dont understand how because xbox can advertise to consumers better about games makes them a better system? I don't think I will change your preferences as much as you will change mine. I don't think I'd tell xbox how to do a better job. The biggest seller for xbox is the 10 million dead 360 consoles that have made customers buy 10 million new 360 consoles.

The Wii is 1000% worse with finding online content, I feel that I might play the Wii more but I need more nerd score on my PSN and live accounts. I have so many cool games for the Wii but because of graphics and other games to play on PSN and xbox, I don't turn on the wii.

Trade ins for map packs? Can't you download with point cards from gamestop? I'd rather not link my account to anyone. I am 100% in agreeing with Dragon Age 2 preorder crap. I am against preordering unless there is a collectors edition that you really want.

Anyways, great cagcast as always.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276

#33 adriley313

adriley313

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

ummm would love to listen but its not up on Itunes yet.
Guess i can stream it from my iPod Touch since i really wanna listen to it.
Keep up the good work,
Now Playing:
:360: Prototype 2
:3ds: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Now Reading: Impulse by Steven Gould

#34 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

Wombat: but if companies cared more about making people happy and less about making money, they would just give all their content away for free. This shit makes money. Contests, sales, limited-time offers--it's all bullshit. Saying that, I did pre-order DAII so I'm stoked.

Rise up comrades, and overthrow these capitalist game distributors! Isn't that sort of the CAG ethos?

PS3 CAGS: friend me on PSN at "casparnic"

I never said give it away for free, just extend that pre-order time to closer to the release date. Nothing crazy.

#35 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

Keep up the good work,

I downloaded from itunes at 6am this morning
Posted ImagePosted Image

#36 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:48 PM

I never said give it away for free, just extend that pre-order time to closer to the release date. Nothing crazy.

Can't they just have the code in the 500k games they ship?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#37 dsheinem

dsheinem

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:58 PM

Right, but the novelty of the idea probably generated more preorders than a standard approach would have. In a show where you are all pushing for industry innovation, I fail to see how you miss this. It would be interesting, in March, to compare pre-order numbers between DA2 and a similarly selling game that took the standard approach to preorder bonuses. I am willing to bet that DA2 will have had more preorders.

Of course, I'm not sure if those numbers are available. Maybe the show's Bioware friends can enlighten us.

#38 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

Not playing LBP2????????????

Now this is coming from someone who has been playing platformers and loving them for nearly three decades now but LittleBigPlanet feels terrible.

I fully accept that that is my problem but it would seem that many others feel the same way about the controls and were let down by the demo for 2 being more of the same in that regard.

There is some middle-ground there between Super Mario Bros. and a full-on physics platformer and I think that Trine is much closer to my ideal than LBP.

#39 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

The Playstation is not going downhill, it's so much better system then the xbox which isn't the best right now. Not playing LBP2???????????? That is frustrating because you don't give it a fair chance. Sackboy jumps the way he does because he is a sackperson not a real person. Now there is jumppacks for more jumping goodness, Seriously, it's the best console game of the year. There is so much online content, there is a story mode in this version and you can make your own games in this new version. Have you guys play any of the 2 + million levels online? I think it's sad that you all just dismiss it since the game covers multiple genres. Please rethink this and give it a fair try and play online. It's a lot of fun with 3 or 4 players. Maybe all play with each other during a show.

"Seriously, it's the best console game of the year." Listen, I'm glad you enjoy a game so much that isn't even released yet and is already the best game of the year 2 weeks into 2011. That seems perfectly reasonable and logical. I do not want to play it though. I gave the first game more than a fair shot and I do not like LittleBigPlanet.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#40 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

Listen, I'm glad you enjoy a game so much that isn't even released yet and is already the best game of the year 2 weeks into 2011. That seems perfectly reasonable and logical.

*cough there's a beta*;)

#41 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

Now this is coming from someone who has been playing platformers and loving them for nearly three decades now but LittleBigPlanet feels terrible.

I fully accept that that is my problem but it would seem that many others feel the same way about the controls and were let down by the demo for 2 being more of the same in that regard.

There is some middle-ground there between Super Mario Bros. and a full-on physics platformer and I think that Trine is much closer to my ideal than LBP.

I'd say the first 5 hours of playing LBP I bitched and whined about how it felt floaty. Then playing for hours after that you get the point of why he's floaty and get used to the jumping and how the game plays. How many games are out there as platformers that you can play hours and hours of levels to the extreme that are fresh and inventive? I have a 7 and 9 year olds that have all of us playing and striving to completed the game to 100% completion. My youngest son has come the closest. I've played the demo for 2 and it does have the same physics, I would be pissed if it was changed. I think there is some levels you can create with different gravity in 2 but I am not 100% sure. I am looking forward to the story and pasting my own sounds in new levels in LBP2. I just think people that get frustrated shouldn't quit because of the feel, the game is going to be awesome. It's ok that people don't like it. I just don't like the cagcast being dismissive and not even willing to give it a try on what will be the top selling game on consoles in January. Have you played multiplayer on the 3rd level in the demo?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#42 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:18 PM

Have you played multiplayer on the 3rd level in the demo?

Nope. Honestly, I didn't even make it through the second level before I quit-out because of the controls.

You have to realize though that LBP is totally in my wheelhouse even with me not caring for the controls...it's just not in my $60 full-price wheelhouse is all.

#43 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

Keep up the good work,

If you subscribe, it will download.

PS3 installs, I pay for Playstation plus so it downloads updates in the background on the PS3

Thank you for reminding me about this. I just turned that feature on.

Edited by CheapyD, 14 January 2011 - 03:36 PM.

#44 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:30 PM

"Seriously, it's the best console game of the year." Listen, I'm glad you enjoy a game so much that isn't even released yet and is already the best game of the year 2 weeks into 2011. That seems perfectly reasonable and logical. I do not want to play it though. I gave the first game more than a fair shot and I do not like LittleBigPlanet.

I've played the beta. So yes, i can see it's the game of the year, for what has been released so far. It's 2 weeks into 2011 so every game that is new can be game of the year at that time. I can see some other games possibly taken that title but I need to see more from them before just handing it to them. I love Mass Effect 2 but I can't see it selling more then LBP2 on the PS3. It was the best 360 game last year though, so who knows. My problem is you are dismissing LBP2 without giving it a chance to grab you with it's story, which the first game lacked. Also the forever amount of mini games created in game and online with many genres that you can create can be amazing and I wonder if they will hurt Playstation mini sales. I also love that items bought and earned in the first game upgrade to the 2nd game. I think it would be cool if Wombat attended the Sony Guiness world record event being held in NYC next week.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#45 kortex

kortex

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

First of all: I love my xbox, maybe even more than my PS3 but this episode pissed even me off.
I'm almost a little bit ashamed of this comment because I'm participating in a discourse I'm so bored with, and you can give me all the shit you want for it, BUT:
Why don't you do a run down of the xbox exclusives for 2011. Let me help you: Gears of War 3. Done. And who even gives a shit about GOW anymore? So what's the system seller for 360?
And one more thing: Im sick of the "All my friends are on 360" argument. If everybody jumps off a cliff... Just saying.

Edited by kortex, 14 January 2011 - 03:56 PM.

#46 Nabeshin186

Nabeshin186

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

I personally don't think Sony's problem is their exclusive games that they release. I think the diversity that the PS3 brings to consoles is one of it's stronger points. I think the biggest disconnection for most people with the PS3 is honestly the interface. Sure people like to play their games but they would also like to talk to their friends or listen to their own music and not every game has that on the PS3. The PS3 is very inconsistent on the features it has for their games whether it YouTube uploads, custom soundtrack, Trophies, or saving screenshots. The 360 has standards that every game must have being party chat, custom soundtracks, and achievements and that what people expect for every game they play. Though I do prefer playing my games on the PS3, I do fully understand that the PS3 is a chore of a system to stomach. I'm personally able to deal with it but some gamers aren't.

Love the podcast guys and this was my first comment ever so keep up the good work and never waver from the opinions you have. Wombat I actually like Heavy Rain but I respect your opinion on saying it's terrible. See, you can have one good comment from someone that isn't chastising you for having an opinion. ;)

#47 mkernan

mkernan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

Regarding the PS3/Xbox debate, I would not call any of the hosts "fanboys". They make very solid, well-thought out arguments. I agree with many of their points, but tend to prefer the PS3 for other reasons. I think the biggest, most obvious leg up that the 360 has over the PS3 is the online experience. The way that Xbox Live is seamlessly integrated throughout the entire online experience is far superior to the way PSN is implemented. Having said that, you of course have to pay for Xbox Live (and the price has gone up) while PSN is free. So for me, that is a wash for the most part. I don't mind paying for better service and more features, but online multiplayer aside, most of the "features" that are included in an XBL Gold membership are a complete rip-off (e.g. - having to pay a premium for access to Netflix, Hulu Plus, ESPN, Last.fm, etc).

Shipwreck's rundown of 2011 PS3 exclusives did a good job of highlighting the fact that Sony are essentially only appealing to their base and not spending enough energy on bringing in new consumers. However, I think the most glaring omission in his statements was the increasing number of media-centric features of the PS3. Of course, its always been a fantastic Blu-ray player, but they have taken great strides to bring more and more Internet-based media-streaming services to the console. With the additions of Netflix, Hulu Plus, MLB, NHL, and Vudu (and presumably more to come in the future), I think Sony is positioning the PS3 as one of the best options for a set-top box, in addition to already being a great game console. The most important point to be made is that PS3 users get access to all these features without having to pay for any sort of premium membership, beyond what is required by each respective service (e.g. - you don't need XBL Gold/PS+ to use these great features). Not to mention, you can also play all sorts of video, music, and photo files on the console.

While I certainly agree that Sony isn't doing enough to bring in new consumers on the games side, I think the efforts they've made to add all these other non-gaming features to the PS3 make it a pretty appealing set-top box/game console to people who aren't already on the Sony bandwagon.
Posted Image

#48 adriley313

adriley313

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

If you subscribe, it will download.

i dont have iTunes on a computer just my iPod Touch.
Its all good ill just stream it from the website.

thx a bunch and keep rockin

If i have a pS3 id play LBP2 and the CE
who doesnt love sackboy
Now Playing:
:360: Prototype 2
:3ds: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Now Reading: Impulse by Steven Gould

#49 kortex

kortex

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

I don't consider myself an Xbox fanboy, I have a preference, but that is different than outward hate. I have alsways said that I like the PS3, even in this show I said that. If anything the point I was trying to make over the last two shows, is how little it really matters as the best games lately have been multiplatform.

So... what's your point? After talking an hour about how shitty SONY or the PS3 is, you post this comment? Seriously, what is your point? *shakes head*

#50 mkernan

mkernan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:10 PM

I personally don't think Sony's problem is their exclusive games that they release. I think the diversity that the PS3 brings to consoles is one of it's stronger points. I think the biggest disconnection for most people with the PS3 is honestly the interface. Sure people like to play their games but they would also like to talk to their friends or listen to their own music and not every game has that on the PS3. The PS3 is very inconsistent on the features it has for their games whether it YouTube uploads, custom soundtrack, Trophies, or saving screenshots. The 360 has standards that every game must have being party chat, custom soundtracks, and achievements and that what people expect for every game they play. Though I do prefer playing my games on the PS3, I do fully understand that the PS3 is a chore of a system to stomach. I'm personally able to deal with it but some gamers aren't.

I completely agree with you. The PS3's interface and feature set was absolutely terrible when the console launched. I think they did a pretty terrible job of designing their UI and some of the mechanics of how the console operates (specifically the need to "install" games/content after it is downloaded).

Having said that, I give them an A++ for the progress they've made over the years with enhancing the feature set through firmware updates. The UI is still relatively bad, but they have come a very, very long way in terms of improving the functionality of the console since launch.
Posted Image

#51 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

First of all: I love my xbox, maybe even more than my PS3 but this episode even pissed me off. I'm almost a little bit ashamed of this comment and you can give me all the shit you want for it. BUT:
Why don't you do a run down of the xbox exclusives for 2011. Let me help you: Gears of War 3. Done. And who even gives a shit about GOW anymore. So what's the system seller for 360?

Must 360 owners will say it's catologue of games will sell you. They will bring up the Halo, gears of war games etc. If they are desprite they will bring up Kinect. I'm done with the horror shooter genre. Every game seems to be heading in this direction. I like Halo, gears, Killzone, Resistance. they are fun. Most games that I have seen on preorder are made for both consoles.

I think Sorcery can sell PS3s and the Move at the same time. I wish Harry Potter part 1 was developed with the move in mind and would be a console seller, The biggest console seller is price. That is why xbox is selling a $199 4gb console right now.

Oh in case people thing I love everything Sackboy, I didn't like Sackboy Prehistoric Moves because you needed someone to use the move and do nothing but move stuff on the screen which is as boring as being a 2nd player on Super Mario Galaxy.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:21 PM

So... what's your point? After talking an hour about how shitty SONY or the PS3 is, you post this comment? Seriously, what is your point? *shakes head*

I said the PS3 was shitty for an hour?

#53 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:24 PM

Giant black penis in a spreadsheet. Now THAT's new.

Hey Cheapy, I loved and beat Demon's Souls. EAT IT! :P
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#54 FellOpenIan

FellOpenIan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

Any avid Steam user will tell you that paying for Live is absolutely laughable. Money for a mostly peer-to-peer system with ads? Not gonna fly when you have VAC-enabled dedicated servers which are well moderated with nasty banhammers for free.

#55 kortex

kortex

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:55 PM

Ahm... Yes, you did ... I guess ... because as I said: I dont get your point. Very sneaky, Wombat, very sneaky.

#56 take5giantsteps

take5giantsteps

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

Another cagcast shitting on the ps3. I'll pass. You lost me with the piss and fart jokes.

#57 berzirk

berzirk

I'm not so serious

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

AHHH HAAA HAAA. Cagcast title WIN!

#58 lombarvm

lombarvm

Chief Boot Knocka

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:23 PM

Somewhere this thread devolved into a Youtube comments section. Amazing how people can be so offended about something as trivial as video games. Get a life, fanboys.
Posted Image

#59 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

I was more upset with Shipwreck's comments more then Wombat. Cheapy has always seems to lean towards a xbox but he gives a chance and plays some PS3 games, heck he gave Wombat a PS3. I don't mind you skipping crappy games but LBP2 will be a top seller in 2011 and seems like a crime that it has no chance to be game of the year and doesn't deserve to be skipped and skoffed at. I didn't understand why Sony needs to make new inventive games when they are doing that with the Move, netflix without an online prescription to via xbox live gold, mlb.tv and NHL gamecenter.

I got a free move and held a party and because of the party a few friends bought PS3s and bought moves as well. So they sell systems with this. Sales people at Gamestop and Best Buy were telling people to buy Kinect over the Move. Not sure why except I saw more stock of Kinect on end displays but Move was in the middle of the isle. Of everyone I know who have played Kinect and Move, they love the move more.

I don't think the way the system's store works should be part of how it's a system seller. I don't get that argument unless you are a developer and would want to make a 360 game because of the free marketing you can get. I would say the store's and what is in them rank
1. 360
2. PS3
3. Wii

Have a great weekend everyone.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#60 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:37 PM