Nier [360] $14.99 FSS, Amazon Prime, etc.

[quote name='ral1121']mediocre game but thanks anyway.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gorebago']The game sucks. Its so bland aside from the music.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna go into a thread about a game I don't like & bash it instead of just ignoring it

Oh boy...

I can't believe one of you two gave this thread one star. This is a great deal for anyone who doesn't want to deal with Gamestop.

The game may not be for everyone, but there's a fanbase for a reason. I think NeoGAF had it behind only Just Cause 2 and Alpha Protocol for most under-appreciated game of 2010.

[quote name='HORSEBORSE']this game isnt worth 5 bucks.

ignore this thread.[/QUOTE]

All the website reviews agree until you read some of the reviews at Amazon.com, they seem to love it. I have such a backlog i'll side with the website reviews.

[quote name='Rodster']All the website reviews agree until you read some of the reviews at Amazon.com, they seem to love it. I have such a backlog i'll side with the website reviews.[/QUOTE]

I always read this, yet never find a large amount of awful reviews. They're mostly all fair(and I loved this game). Playable but somewhat mediocre gameplay though good variations on a theme, dull graphics, meh fetch quests. Amazing soundtrack, great dialogue, intriguing story, well written and acted....also perhaps beautiful?

Nothing is broken or awful, ever, and I think the average of a 70% reflects this nicely. Completely depends what you're looking for as this is certainly not the WoW or CoD of action rpgs; not in a bad way mind you, but meaning no it doesn't have a very universal appeal.

At this point it's been pretty low numerous times and I'm sure most of the people who have wanted to try it have already, so not like I'm worried about someone passing it at this point anyway but it's definitely a worthwhile experience if you're looking for something different.

For what it's worth, I started this game and quit at the "fishing part", and then came back a few weeks later and enjoyed the game so much I beat it with all four endings. It has flaws, but the annoying quests are not required and the graphics are not noticeably bad (and even quite nice in some areas). The soundtrack should have won some sort of GOTY awards or something and the characters are pretty awesome.

The "fishing part" took me less than thirty seconds to complete, so I don't know why everyone complains so much about it just because Justin McElroy got stuck in that part. The game is a good buy at $15.00, although it is pretty much an average action-RPG, but it's not bad or unplayable. I have to say that I find myself laughing every time that Grimoire Weiss starts arguing with the rtest of the cast, and I wonder how better it would have been if his "character" was incorporated in a more "high profile" game. Simply put, the game has a particular "charm" that won't appeal to those spoiled by the more commercially successful and critically acclaimed games, but those who just want to hack and slash their way through hordes of weird ass enemies might enjoy this game, even though it looks a bit unpolished, graphics-wise.

Best or 2nd best JRPG of this generation, without a doubt.

Anyone who hates it either never really gave it a try, or have horrible taste in JRPGs and should be disregarded.

It's a love or hate game. The mechanics it presents are interesting, but from what I've heard, the overall package was lacking. The story and characters, however, make up for it.

Crackdown is most definitely worth trying if you haven't tried either game. It's fairly unique.

I'm not a big fan of it, but it is something worth trying (especially with a sequel out, that is fairly cheap, used). It can be a tedious game, though, and heavily urges grinding.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']I'm gonna go into a thread about a game I don't like & bash it instead of just ignoring it

Oh boy...[/QUOTE]

The "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" mentality should only be used in Elementary school. If people didn't post their opinions of it being average, somebody might regret their purchase.

[quote name='artego']Best or 2nd best JRPG of this generation, without a doubt.

Anyone who hates it either never really gave it a try, or have horrible taste in JRPGs and should be disregarded.[/QUOTE]
:roll:

your a idiot

I liked this game. It's very ambitious with the story. The gameplay is kind of meh, but the characters, story and music are pretty great.

[quote name='xlaxparkax']The "fishing part" took me less than thirty seconds to complete, so I don't know why everyone complains so much about it just because Justin McElroy got stuck in that part. [/QUOTE]

I played this game before I read anything complaining about the "fishing part", so it has nothing to do with some random guy complaining online. It is just very unintuitive when you get to the fishing town and are told to go to the dock and learn how to fish from that old guy, and are told that you can catch that fish on the beach. They fail to mention that the beach directly next to the old guy has like the hardest fish in the game to catch, and that the beach you actually want is through a tunnel and maybe 50 yards down from it.

I got frustrated and quit, and a few weeks later I went online and found out what my problem was and at that point saw the infamous "fishing part" complaint, and subsequently went home and it took 30 seconds to catch the fish and went on to almost 100%ing the game including all four endings.

PS: For what it's worth, I wound up getting all the fishing achievements in the game as well. It wasn't the fishing minigame itself that was a problem, it was just the game leading you to make a very logical assumption which was very wrong.

[quote name='amblix']i'll wait until $10 or less, i mean bayonetta was put down to $9.98 on amazon and it is amazing.[/quote]
^ this.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Bayonetta is my favorite action game since DMC 1. Amazing game; put over 60 hours into it :D[/QUOTE]
Sad part was that I jumped all over Bayonetta for $29 at K-Mart last fall, and barely just started playing it a month ago when it had already dropped to $10.

Ugh... :whistle2:#

Since I still have yet to play Star Ocean International and Resonnance of Fate, there's no hurry for me to pick up another RPG right now; especially one that has just average reviews like Nier.

Nier is a love it or hate it type of game. I loved it, infact I just bet it last night. It feels to me more of like a Zelda ish type adventure game than a straight out RPG, and probably my 2nd favorite game of 2010 next to Just Cause 2.

I can see why people dislike it. Nier doesn't do anything truly innovating and the battle system is ok but nothing new really.

Although $15 is a nice price for Nier and a good pickup for that price.

[quote name='croqoa']PS: For what it's worth, I wound up getting all the fishing achievements in the game as well. It wasn't the fishing minigame itself that was a problem, it was just the game leading you to make a very logical assumption which was very wrong.[/QUOTE]
Didn't you feel dumb when you saw the big red quest-marker X on the screen pointing you to the correct beach? I know I did.

I thought the game had one of the most intriguing plots for a game in awhile. It just isn't a game that is all spelled out for you,doesn't hold your hand.

I think its cool how its a spin-off based on ending E from Drakengard too.

Nier was my GOTY. True, it's a love it or hate it type of game, but there's no denying this game has heart. Plus it has a ton of replayability. Check out Kotaku's review if I haven't swayed you yet.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']The "If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" mentality should only be used in Elementary school. If people didn't post their opinions of it being average, somebody might regret their purchase.[/QUOTE]

How are these opinions & not herp derp it sucks-type posts?

[quote name='ral1121']mediocre game but thanks anyway.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gorebago']The game sucks. Its so bland aside from the music.[/QUOTE]

Any person with a brain would glance over these blatant trolls & read reviews (as well as watch gameplay videos), you know, actual opinions on how a game is.

Last edited by a moderator:
i recently bought this for $10 at J&R. after playing for a little bit, i found the game is pretty playable but kind of repetitive on the combat and isn't all that exciting. people keep saying how great the sound track is and i find some of the tracks are fairly annoying, the ones that sound like church music that repeat over and over again. i'm putting this game off for a bit and will get back to playing it bits by bits. got some more enjoyable games to tackle first.

Nier is a good game, especially if you like JRPGs and appreciate an excellent soundtrack. And at $15, it's a great game. I picked it up at GameStop a couple weeks ago and have not regretted it at all.

[quote name='simmias']Didn't you feel dumb when you saw the big red quest-marker X on the screen pointing you to the correct beach? I know I did.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I never did see the red X since I went online and found exactly what to do for that part; but I would have laughed a little for sure. Who would think there were two different beaches in the same town, and they pick the one that is kind of hidden on the other side of the town through a little tunnel?

I think my favorite part of fishing though was the comically large sizes that it says you were catching. I'm no physics master, but a dude with a tiny little wooden fishing rod should not be able to fish up something that weighs 15,000 pounds or whatever some of those big things were. Plus the graphic for the fish would have to be a whale sized monster.

[quote name='GoukiGamer']Nier is a good game, especially if you like JRPGs and appreciate an excellent soundtrack. And at $15, it's a great game. I picked it up at GameStop a couple weeks ago and have not regretted it at all.[/QUOTE]

The soundtrack is probably the best part of the game in my opinion, with the plot coming close to it. Character development is very well done even including NPCs (old lady in Seafront, one of the towns in the game). The only negative point of the game for me is in the gameplay, in which some of the magic-based abilities comes off as rather useless while others are clearly superior. This is one of those games that I found where watching videos (whether reviews, gameplay, etc.) does not do it justice, so I suggest actually trying out the game. At $15, it's a great deal; I personally picked it up from GameFly for around the same price during their winter sale.

Here's an example of one of the tracks that I particularly like.

After reading reviews from IGN, Gamespot, and Gametrailers:

The things that are good about this game are the Story and the Music.

Everything else from the Graphics to the Gameplay is just below average to average.

Btw, the Japanese PS3 version has the main character as the brother of the victim... while the US 360/PS3 version has him as the father. Crazy.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']After reading reviews from IGN, Gamespot, and Gametrailers:

The things that are good about this game are the Story and the Music.

Everything else from the Graphics to the Gameplay is just below average to average.

Btw, the Japanese PS3 version has the main character as the brother of the victim... while the US 360/PS3 version has him as the father. Crazy.[/QUOTE]

You didn't bother to check out the reviews from Amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/NIER-Xbox-360...sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

There was a reason that the game was considered to be underrated, and it was because of the poor "professional" reviews.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']How are these opinions & not herp derp it sucks-type posts?

Any person with a brain would glance over these blatant trolls & read reviews (as well as watch gameplay videos), you know, actual opinions on how a game is.[/QUOTE]
:roll: considering most reviews and opinions say the game is mediocre at best. comments like yours seem like fanboyism

I really am enjoying this game. It isn't perfect, but it is solid. I highly recommend it for $14.99. :)

The dialogue is great, the combat is good. The graphics? Not FFXIII, but nice.

[quote name='gmsick']:roll: considering most reviews and opinions say the game is mediocre at best. comments like yours seem like fanboyism[/QUOTE]
In what way does that make me a fanboy? =\ I despise morons coming into threads for games they obviously don't like & leaving single sentence remarks like "oh man shit's garbage better avoid", as well as people like that other guy thinking that's as much of a valid opinion as someone who's actually played enough of it & describes their experience in detail.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Btw, the Japanese PS3 version has the main character as the brother of the victim... while the US 360/PS3 version has him as the father. Crazy.[/QUOTE]
Not sure which came first, Gestalt or Replicant, but the differences came from which would sell better. But really there is zero differences besides the relationship towards Yonah & lines being said regarding the relationship. Though anyone who's played both versions will most likely agree that Gestalt (the father version) is the better of the two, father/daughter feels more natural while brother/sister feels forced at times.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']In what way does that make me a fanboy? =\ I despise morons coming into threads for games they obviously don't like & leaving single sentence remarks like "oh man shit's garbage better avoid", as well as people like that other guy thinking that's as much of a valid opinion as someone who's actually played enough of it & describes their experience in detail. [/QUOTE]

how do you know those guys have never played the game? maybe they bought it, played it for 10 hours and just didnt like it... it happens. you should be mad at the people that say "oh its worth it for the music alone" thats even worse. Yeah just forget the boring quest & combat. Bad graphics and love it or hate it story right? :roll:

[quote name='gmsick']how do you know those guys have never played the game? maybe they bought it, played it for 10 hours and just didnt like it... it happens. you should be mad at the people that say "oh its worth it for the music alone" thats even worse. Yeah just forget the boring quest & combat. Bad graphics and love it or hate it story right? :roll:[/QUOTE]

Well Told!

I was pretty undersold on this for a while. Then I started reading the guide a little and it sounds much more intriguing than I expected. Sitting on a bunch of Amazon credit, so I'll consider it. Thanks OP.

Nier threads always make me laugh. Everyone always jumps in to troll going on about "IT GOT BAD REVIEWS fu Nier", and they always end up bicking with the people who actually played the game and loved it. The game is a LOT of fun. It's certainly not reinventing the wheel but it has many high points, chief amongst them being the story and music. Yes, the music is good enough to mention. If you had played through the whole game you would know that :roll:

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Nier is awesome. All that needs to be said.[/QUOTE]

Avatar looks really realistically drawn. Have the full size picture of that Kaine art?

Konachancom-79774futanarikainenier.jpg

bread's done
Back