PS2 Newbie

Megiddo_CAG

Banned
Been recently thinking about picking up a ps2 recently, haven't had one in ages though.

Question to the PS2 Veterans:
1) Slim VS Phat?
2) What memory card should I get?
3) Recommeneded games? (RPGs, Fighters, Horror, FPS, etc.)
4) How long do they usually last? (Slim, Phat)

Thanks again guys!

1) Slim. The only drawback about them is that they're always in standby when turned off, unless you unplug the machine; there's no on/off switch in the back like on the Phat.
2) I've only ever used official ones. You can get new two-packs fairly inexpensively if you shop around.
3) There are a lot of them, especially if you like JRPGs. For those, you can't go wrong with Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest VIII, and Disgaea to start off with. I don't play many fighters, and tend to avoid horror games and console FPSs, so I don't have any recs there.
4) My phat lasted me roughly six years, and I've had the slim since then (2007). I bought a backup slim either last year or the year before in case my current one dies, but haven't needed to use it.

On how long they last, I've had my slim for longer than my launch Wii console. As long as you don't do anything stupid, the slims last for a long time.

Looks like blueshinra got everything covered, still I can throw in my 2 cents:

1./4. - get yourself slim, the main thing that eventually breaks up is laser and or drive mechanism.
It's kinda hard to tell, but they usually last several years.
The only phat models you can find now are used ones and if you're not planing on playing "backups" (uh-huh) of the HDD, there's really no reason to get em.

2. Personally I got myself ultracheap 64MB non-genuine memory card from dealextreme (less than 5 bucks and free worldwide shipping, hell yeah).
It's a bit on the slow side, but works pretty fine.

3. as recommended by 4chan's /v/:
vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com

Oh, and yeah, you may also want to get yourself a component cable (and HD box) if you're going to play this thing on big lcd screen. It's around $50-55 combined.

My favorite main-stream games, and therefore most likely inexpensive, were God of War 1&2, Devil May Cry 1&3, Kindom Hearts 1&2, Final Fantasy X, Shadow of the Colossus, and Silent Hill 2. There are lots of great non-mainstream games, like the persona and disgaea series, and Ico, but those games might be harder to find, and they'll probably be a lot more expensive than the other games I listed.

I would recommend buying a genuine Sony memory card because the non-genuine cards are more prone to failing.

If you're buying new, you can only choose the slim, but if you're buying refurb or used, I'd recommend a slim. The phats had a higher failure rate than the slim, and the slim uses less power and takes up a lot less space.

I had a phat that I purchased a year after launch, and it lasted me 6 years before I knocked it off a dresser and onto a hardwood floor. If you treat it well, it'll last a long time. There was a lot less technology in the PS2s than current gen systems, and the parts were so small and power-efficient in the slims, that they have a very small failure rate.

The component cable that was recommended will only help with games that support progressive scan, of which, there were a few. If you buy it from monoprice.com, you could pick it up for under $10 shipped.

Hey thanks for the answers guys! Really appreciate it, only a few more question.

I have an 32inch HD 720P tv that I will be gaming on if I do get a PS2. Will the HD box be able to output above? Otherwise I see no reason to not just go with a component cable and call it a day.

[quote name='Megiddo_CAG']Been recently thinking about picking up a ps2 recently, haven't had one in ages though.

1) Slim VS Phat?

Thanks again guys![/QUOTE]

1> Slim
2> Sony brand and there is 2 pack that you can shop around for $25 or less
3> RPGs -- FFX, FFXII, Dragon Quest VIII, Disgaea, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, and Shadow Hearts (I could go on for a while but this is what is coming off the top of my head)
Fighters -- Soul Calibur 3, Tekken 5
Horror -- Resident Evil 4
4> My phat is still going since 2000, but it has been giving me DRE on CDs (PS1, PS2 blue bottom discs)

My PS2 has been going strong for nearly ten years. There's an occasional grinding noise when opening the disc tray (gears skipping maybe?), but otherwise it's been trouble free.

My phat is also going 10 years strong. It got a little sick last year where it was having trouble reading discs, but the problem seemed to have passed.

Dragon Quest VIII is a must. Kingdom Hearts is also a good choice.

[quote name='Megiddo_CAG']Been recently thinking about picking up a ps2 recently, haven't had one in ages though.

1) Slim VS Phat?

Thanks again guys![/QUOTE]

>phat
>a 8 mb to a 16 mb
>final fantisys and dragon quests. also kingdom hearts (my favoret):D:applause:
>phat 7/8 years. slim 3/4

bread's done
Back