Nintendo 3DS overpriced?

Viper139

CAGiversary!
Amazon prices compared

US Store Price - $249.99 (£156.31)
UK Store Price - £219.99 ($351.79)

How is this right even with VAT?

There is no way I will spend £220 on a 3DS, I will wait untill there £100 or less.

Apparently it does not have a set price by Nintendo, they are instead leaving it up to retailers to decide. ...because with retailers desperate for sales more than ever and with a huge definite seller coming I'm sure Nintendo expects them to have a fair price...

...still they'll easily manage to sell-out the entire first batch and the many subsequent restocks.
too bad we cannot vote with our wallet, but end up ponying up every time.
that's the way it is
PS: it will be a LOOOOONG way to go before it hits the 100 £ mark, if ever

Pricing suggests to me arrogance on the part of Nintendo, personally I think the DS's early adopters now play on their more convenient phones while the current popularity of the DS is that its a cheap thing you wont get too upset if the kids break.

No handheld should cost more than £150 imo.

Things are a bit different in the US where Nintendo are an institution due to the NES they have more of a fan base there,

If I'm in the uk and buy from amazon.com isn't it still sent from amazon uk warehouses thus getting a uk 3ds for the lower price ?

Overpriced, definitely. 230 from game! and I didn't realise it, but apparently the game cartridge aren't big enough for all the types of dogs and cats. game has 3 differnt nintendogs 3ds versions for preorder, too!

Though, should we really be surprised by nintendo anymore?

It is very overpriced i wouldn't buy a hand held game system for more than $150 if even that, it'd have to have a lot of games that i want before I'd even do that, and I'd probably wait for it to be used versions too.

I just see this failing , or being a rich kids toy, or something new for kids to ask for , for Christmas and get to be spoiled... i don't think it'll end up being a true gaming device...

[quote name='Viper139']Amazon prices compared

US Store Price - $249.99 (£156.31)
UK Store Price - £219.99 ($351.79)

How is this right even with VAT?

[/QUOTE]Do amazon.com store prices include sales tax or not? If not, and we subtract the 20% VAT from the UK price, that gives ~ £183, so in real terms it would only be about £30 different.

Still bloody expensive, though.

Argos just sent me an email for 3ds pre order they also price the games @£38.99 wow I'm skipping the 3ds it's to expensive

Not too expensive when you consider how well the DS sold, that was a missed opportunity for Nintendo.
However when an iPhone or Android can offer similar games for around a quid then you have to be a bit special to buy one.

This is consol price for a hand held system. I shudder to think of the price of the Wii's successor. 550? 750? And their justification: It's in 3D.

Well, not getting my money. This is why we're in a recession. People throwing away too much money. If people'd just refuse to buy, it'd drop down to 90, just like the original Game Boy was. if people buy left and right, expect Nintendo to jack up their prices from here on out.

And Amazon's price is sans tax/shipping. Shipping would be free, but taxes would apply, I'd wager.

Its bound to be overpriced as one of the first mass-market applications of glasses-less 3D. Those that are dying to play it will buy it no matter the price, and as always we have to wait months / years for the price to drop to a reasonable level.

Capitalism's a bitch.

Being from the US, I feel bad for you guys. Do you remember the PS3 launch prices? In the US the wifi version was $600. The EU/UK price (when converted to dollars) was $1,000! Talk about arrogant. These companies seem to think they can charge whatever they want and people will buy their products. Of course, they're right to some extent. Some idiots actually paid full price for the PS3 and it rapidly lowered in price just 7 months after release.

The fun part witht he PS3 is, when questioned about how people might not want to spend that money, Sony's rep basically said (in a nicer way), why should we care about those gamers? Yup, if you don't fork over the dough, Sony don't care about you. Their gamers spend the big bucks.

[quote name='Ather']The fun part witht he PS3 is, when questioned about how people might not want to spend that money, Sony's rep basically said (in a nicer way), why should we care about those gamers? Yup, if you don't fork over the dough, Sony don't care about you. Their gamers spend the big bucks.[/QUOTE]

He also said people will get a second job in order to afford it. Way to sell it to the masses Sony.

Hoovers company profile of Antelope Dancer. More Companies in These Related Industries: Handbag & Purse Mfg В· View Antelope Dancer location on a map
We are wholesaler of Nike Jordan, Adidas Soccer Ball Boots and Other Shoes in China. We are big Shoes Manufacturer in China. We supply many kinds of Shoes,
The classic Campus shoe from Adidas has been thoroughly upgraded for optimal

I seem to remember that when the DSi came out, certain UK retailers were doing considerable discounts for trading in your DS fat. Any word on whether trading in a DSi will save you a worthwhile amount?

[quote name='Eugene Goat']I seem to remember that when the DSi came out, certain UK retailers were doing considerable discounts for trading in your DS fat. Any word on whether trading in a DSi will save you a worthwhile amount?[/QUOTE]

GAME have some prices on their site for trading in systems for 3DS, all looked like a rip-off to me.

I think it's ok with the deals we've been seing, it looks interesting for under £200. It's a shame we can't import one from the US because of the crazy region locking. We always get ripped of, maybe I'll wait for the inevitable second generation 3DS.

If the 'game gears.co.uk' price is right (£195) then you'd only be saving £40 by trading in your DSi at 'game' (Game price is £230, seems to be pretty much the highest price, price after trade £155).
'game gear.co.uk' seems to be offering the red 3DS on pre-order although it hasn't been announced as being available on release, which makes me slightly sceptical about the site.
hmmm, still little to steep for my liking, think I'll stick to the virtual boy for my 3d action for now, lol.

The price is crazy just crazy, you know they will sell out because nintendo will not make enough off them. I was thinking about buying one then selling it on ebay. Plus we all know a 3ds lite will be on its way a year or so after the 3ds hits. The region locking puts me off big time I have a lot off jap and us games on my ds :(

I would say it's overpriced.

Initially, I though it was overpriced by a lot though, but after seeing more of the system and what it has to offer, it does have some nice looking features. The Augmented Reality stuff looks really enjoyable and has the potential to be used for some great experiences.

Below £180 would have been a better price point, in my opinion. Ideally, I'd like it for no more than £150, but I doubt that will happen any time soon.

Yes it's overpriced imo. Handhelds shouldn't cost more than a console, and 3D is somewhat overhyped these days. 3D is great, but I wouldn't want it all the time.

[quote name='helluvagood']Yes it's overpriced imo. Handhelds shouldn't cost more than a console, and 3D is somewhat overhyped these days. 3D is great, but I wouldn't want it all the time.[/QUOTE]

Hence the switch that makes it turn off... :applause:

So, it's $250 for an enhanced DSi XL. Which already sells for $180 with fewer features. All the non 3D features just doesn't justify $70 more. Congratulations, Nintendo. You overpriced yourselves out of sales.

bread's done
Back