Buy 2 Used Games or Accessories, Get 1 Free at GameStop.com

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#61 dannyox718

dannyox718

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:21 PM

Oook, so here's the short version of the above.

B2G1 --> You pay for two-thirds of what you get = 33.333% savings
B1G1/2 --> You pay for three-quarters of what you get = 25% savings

This is why B1G1/2 actually = B3G1

#62 moorebrb

moorebrb

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

Not true. Assuming $30 per game...

B2G1 = $30 + $30 + $0 = $60 / 3 = $20 per game
B1G1/2 = $30 + $15 = $45 / 2 = $22.50 per game

Ahhh, nothing like Cagonomics. :applause:

#63 Slappybob

Slappybob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

Please note (because the original poster did not) that these are for USED games, so this is a crap deal.

Is this your first time at CAG or Shopping from Gamestop?
The Douchebag Porpoise does not save drowning sailors, it just mocks them as they struggle. What a jerk!

Posted Image
Currently playing:
:360: Fallout: New Vegas, Borderlands
:xbox: Mechwarrior
:ps2: Final Fantasy X
:psp: Legend of Heroes
:pc: Portal

#64 Stoic Person Eater

Stoic Person Eater

Murder City Pandas

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

Please note (because the original poster did not) that these are for USED games, so this is a crap deal.

Gamestop sells used games? When did this start?

#65 Jackie Chandler

Jackie Chandler

Jamanandayo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:09 PM

Except that's not the case for this deal, since it doesn't matter how much the new game is to get the 50% off the used. Assuming you're buying a $5 new game to go with the used, and that the used are $30...

($30 x 0.5 = $15. $15 x 3 = $45) + ($5 x 3 = $15) = Total cost of $60
($30 x 2) = Total cost of $60.

So put simply, if you're wanting to get three used games of similar prices at $30 or more, it's best to make three orders of the B1G1 1/2 off. Why? That way you get three new games for free, and a better discount if your used are over $30. Even if you don't want them you might have some trading fodder for Gamestop's next tier promotion. In addition, if your games AREN'T of similar value or you can't find three used games you want, it'll most likely be in your benefit to do this, too.

Consequently, anything less than $30 and you might better off doing the B2G1. But for that you need to choose three same-priced used and want more than one/two in the first place.

#66 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 06:18 PM

so that makes 2 great gamestop deals ps3 owners get screwed on lol. fucking restock already!!!!!! btw is this online only or can you do it in store as well?

#67 dannyox718

dannyox718

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:07 PM

Except that's not the case for this deal, since it doesn't matter how much the new game is to get the 50% off the used. Assuming you're buying a $5 new game to go with the used, and that the used are $30...

($30 x 0.5 = $15. $15 x 3 = $45) + ($5 x 3 = $15) = Total cost of $60
($30 x 2) = Total cost of $60.

So put simply, if you're wanting to get three used games of similar prices at $30 or more, it's best to make three orders of the B1G1 1/2 off. Why? That way you get three new games for free, and a better discount if your used are over $30. Even if you don't want them you might have some trading fodder for Gamestop's next tier promotion. In addition, if your games AREN'T of similar value or you can't find three used games you want, it'll most likely be in your benefit to do this, too.

Consequently, anything less than $30 and you might better off doing the B2G1. But for that you need to choose three same-priced used and want more than one/two in the first place.

No, I totally agree with you. Don't get me wrong. I was just doing the math for the case where all games are of equal value. It was interesting to me because at first it didn't seem to make sense. It was more for a mental exercise rather than trying to prove anyone right or wrong.

For games of varying values, of course your logic is sound.

#68 oldboy26

oldboy26

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

Not true. Assuming $30 per game...

B2G1 = $30 + $30 + $0 = $60 / 3 = $20 per game
B1G1/2 = $30 + $15 = $45 / 2 = $22.50 per game

If you buy a $2 new game and then the get all the games you want used, its a way better deal for the b1g1/2.

#69 officerrob

officerrob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:53 PM

Finally got it to work
I got NFS:HP, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, and Your Shape Fitness Evolved for $68.38.

#70 Jackie Chandler

Jackie Chandler

Jamanandayo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:20 PM

No, I totally agree with you. Don't get me wrong. I was just doing the math for the case where all games are of equal value. It was interesting to me because at first it didn't seem to make sense. It was more for a mental exercise rather than trying to prove anyone right or wrong.

For games of varying values, of course your logic is sound.

Oh, I apologize if I seemed apprehensive about it then. :P

#71 fwacce

fwacce

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:27 PM

I guess it's been a while since I did one of these online GameStop deals. Pretty sparse selection for PS3, and if you select in store pickup, the price jumps up. I don't think I know of any retailer where you have to pay more for an item where the order initiated online for store pickup. Seems rather silly to offer a sale like this without much of a selection.

#72 Dranakin

Dranakin

Member Since Oct 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:38 PM

I guess it's been a while since I did one of these online GameStop deals. Pretty sparse selection for PS3, and if you select in store pickup, the price jumps up. I don't think I know of any retailer where you have to pay more for an item where the order initiated online for store pickup. Seems rather silly to offer a sale like this without much of a selection.

Wal-Mart and Best Buy online stores with lower prices come to mind. Their prices never match up and they won't honor it in-store.

#73 stack9902

stack9902

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:04 AM

sorry but it was in the titel clearly.

Posted Image

#74 hawaiiboy

hawaiiboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:45 AM

Wal-Mart and Best Buy online stores with lower prices come to mind. Their prices never match up and they won't honor it in-store.

i just got bestbuy b&m to honor the price of bestbuy online last week. they went to their website and looked up the item and gave me the online price. it wasnt a huge difference but better than nothing.

#75 rawrker

rawrker

Supreme Llama Tickler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:46 AM

This is correct, but don't forget you can buy a $2 game to get any used game for half off. ;)

#76 Narok

Narok

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:19 AM

Perfect timing, I've been playing Phantasy Star Universe a lot lately and wanted to pick up the expansion but was waiting for the next B2G1 sale.

Got Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of Illuminus, Rogue Galaxy, and Odin Sphere for $20.

#77 fwacce

fwacce

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:29 AM

No, I know that many stores have different online prices than in store. However, I was referring to in store pickup exclusively. I don't know of a store that offers in store pickup where the price changes once you select that option. If I order from Best Buy online for in store pickup the price doesn't change, even if the actual store price is different. Same thing with WalMart or TRU.

#78 jupiterjones

jupiterjones

WHAT THE CUSS!?!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:35 AM

so that makes 2 great gamestop deals ps3 owners get screwed on lol. fucking restock already!!!!!!

Sad, but true. No cash for you, GS!

Jupiter_Jones.png

Check out my blog on music, gaming, wrestling, movies etc etc. It doesn't totally suck!

http://abloggymess.com/

#79 pharmacrest

pharmacrest

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:53 AM

i just got bestbuy b&m to honor the price of bestbuy online last week. they went to their website and looked up the item and gave me the online price. it wasnt a huge difference but better than nothing.

I have also gotten BB to honor their own web sites price. But the two times I have tried at Walmart, no dice.

Sucker born every minute

Wrencrest.png

#80 Peffse

Peffse

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:29 AM

Powerup Rewards 10% off doesn't stack on this B2G1?
Why is Gamestop so inconsistent?

#81 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:00 AM

Most of the time Best Buy will because you could literally just order it on your phone in the store and then pick it up... The individual stores lose revenue when this happens (at least that's what I was told). With Wal Mart it's a little different because it takes 5+ days usually.

Still, I think it's dumb all around when they do this. Gamestop always tries to justify it because shipping costs online make up for the price difference. Even without the SAVER code it still usually ends up being cheaper online...

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#82 rawrker

rawrker

Supreme Llama Tickler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:02 AM

Powerup Rewards 10% off doesn't stack on this B2G1?
Why is Gamestop so inconsistent?

Because untrained monkeys work on their website. It'll either screw people or screw GS itself. Seldom ever a middle ground.

#83 timesplitt

timesplitt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:57 AM

I'd like to know what these games are that range from $2-$5 new.

#84 Amblix

Amblix

Posted 22 January 2011 - 08:37 PM

Wow, like no PS3 games in stock at all.

There are a few Kinects though. o:

#85 neoKEN

neoKEN

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:27 AM

DAMMIT! Bought 2 games yesterday for 10$ each at the store! Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. If I've known, I would get them online with the 3rd free game being Gears of War 2. Too late now..., the money on gas makes it not worth the extra 10$ game :bomb::bomb::bomb:

#86 StickyWaffles

StickyWaffles

Us Kids Know!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:06 AM

DAMMIT! Bought 2 games yesterday for 10$ each at the store! Halo 3 and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

Well, have fun in your time machine that's taking you to 2007 anyways. ;)

After reading the math theories, this deal seems to be great for me and 2 friends that want to buy Civilization Revolution. Costs $20 for each copy, and after this, the 10% edge card discount, and tax, I think it's $13 each. I've already grabbed Black Ops and Brotherhood with 2 copies of Space Chimps, so I'll give the B1G1 half off trick a break, as it would make the total a tiny bit higher if I used 3 $5 games. How many copies of Two Worlds Epic Edition does one man need?

#87 Zin_LG

Zin_LG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 07:15 AM

I have about four or five games I want to buy I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

There's no guaranty that you get the case and manual if you order online is there?

#88 PhantomKing5

PhantomKing5

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 24 January 2011 - 10:55 AM

I have about four or five games I want to buy I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger.

There's no guaranty that you get the case and manual if you order online is there?

I actually called GameStop's number that's located within the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of their site. I asked the guy on the phone the same question you were wondering about. He pretty much told me that when you order online from them, you get whatever they have in stock. So I'm not sure if they even try to give you a complete copy if it's available, or if you just get what they happen to pick up (whether its missing original case/manual or not).

I read somewhere that if you buy a game from them online, and then your local shop has the same game but a complete copy of it, you can exchange them as long as you have a receipt (not sure how true that is though).

Hope that answers your question, good luck with your purchases.

#89 zeddic

zeddic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:11 PM

I actually called GameStop's number that's located within the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of their site. I asked the guy on the phone the same question you were wondering about. He pretty much told me that when you order online from them, you get whatever they have in stock. So I'm not sure if they even try to give you a complete copy if it's available, or if you just get what they happen to pick up (whether its missing original case/manual or not).

I read somewhere that if you buy a game from them online, and then your local shop has the same game but a complete copy of it, you can exchange them as long as you have a receipt (not sure how true that is though).

Hope that answers your question, good luck with your purchases.

Happened to me, as long as they have it in stock in the local store they will give you the manuals if you ask.

#90 PhantomKing5

PhantomKing5

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:43 AM

Happened to me, as long as they have it in stock in the local store they will give you the manuals if you ask.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.