Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Dark Souls (Project Dark) - October 4, 2011

• Please log in to reply
2115 replies to this topic

#1 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

Platform(s): PS3, X360 (only for PS3 in Japan)
Publisher: Namco Bandai
Genre: Role-Playing Game
Developer: From Software
Release Date: October 11, 2011

Added by Io: Folow Jodou's guide in the spoiler tag below if you are looking to get all the trophies
Jodou's Perfect Run Guide
Spoiler

Posted Image

Screenshots from a magazine: http://i51.tinypic.com/fbcci0.jpg
A better look into this here with clearer screenshots: http://gamrconnect.v...d.php?id=123975
Even more HQ screenshots: http://media.ps3.ign...623/imgs_1.html

This would be the next Demon's Souls, but not in name unfortunately.
The story and worlds and are not connected to Demon's Souls whatsoever.
Gameplay will be almost identical to Demons Souls but even harder.
Bloodstains and messages will still be available.

New Features
- You will be able to see a layout of the world you're in, meaning that the map will be on a corner of the screen.
- More variety of items and weapons.
- Creation of the character is not based on class this time
- Characters will not have a style added to them
- Instead of having 5 separate worlds like Demon's Souls, the worlds in this game will be literally connected to each other meaning there is no "Nexus" in here.
- No Soul Tendency
Posted Image

Edited by io, 13 November 2011 - 12:26 PM.

#2 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:51 PM

That's annoying that they never uploaded a better quality video of the trailer.

Guardian_owl.png

#3 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:36 AM

February has to be the month where they announce something....

#4 Darth Sontin

Darth Sontin

Ostrava of Boletaria

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2011 - 10:57 PM

I just got the platinum in Demon's Souls and am desperately waiting for any news update on Project Dark. I can't imagine they'll wait for E3 since I doubt it's going to get a huge marketing push.

My problem is I have a hard time putting together a new feature wishlist since DS was almost perfect. I only request that they don't dumb it down at all.
Posted Image

#5 phantasyx

phantasyx

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:00 PM

the creators already announced that this is NOT a sequel to demon souls, it looks like it has a similar play style but everyone will have to wait and see once its announced.

#6 Darth Sontin

Darth Sontin

Ostrava of Boletaria

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

the creators already announced that this is NOT a sequel to demon souls, it looks like it has a similar play style but everyone will have to wait and see once its announced.

It can't be a sequel if it's going multiplatform since Sony published the original in Japan. Atlus then bought the rights to publish it in the US. Bandai Namco is handling Project Dark so it will be a spiritual sequel. Hopefully it's Demon's Souls 2 in everything but name.
Posted Image

#7 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

It can't be a sequel if it's going multiplatform since Sony published the original in Japan. Atlus then bought the rights to publish it in the US. Bandai Namco is handling Project Dark so it will be a spiritual sequel. Hopefully it's Demon's Souls 2 in everything but name.

Yeah, from what I understand, Sony owns the Demon's Souls IP. So you'll never see a Demon's Souls game on anything other than PlayStation.
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

Can't wait for this. It has to be pretty much Demon Souls 2... I mean just look at it. And they can't say (for relationship sakes) that "YEAH THIS IS DS2... WE JUST COULDN'T CALL IT THAT." So, of course they say it is unrelated.

#9 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 04:56 AM

Can't wait for this. It has to be pretty much Demon Souls 2... I mean just look at it. And they can't say (for relationship sakes) that "YEAH THIS IS DS2... WE JUST COULDN'T CALL IT THAT." So, of course they say it is unrelated.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much the deal. It's not "officially" DS2, but it's practically DS2. :)

#10 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

Bandai Namco is handling Project Dark so it will be a spiritual sequel.

It worries me to see Scamco Bandai as the publisher. Their track record so far has just been abysmal for many of their supporting games. Namely charging for DLC already on the disc or cutting out content to sell as early DLC.

#11 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

It worries me to see Scamco Bandai as the publisher. Their track record so far has just been abysmal for many of their supporting games. Namely charging for DLC already on the disc or cutting out content to sell as early DLC.

Apparently Namco published it in Europe, so unfortunately, it's not much of a stretch. I'd rather have Atlus doing it, but maybe they have too many projects going on and don't have the resources for the localization.

#12 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 07:08 PM

Apparently Namco published it in Europe, so unfortunately, it's not much of a stretch. I'd rather have Atlus doing it, but maybe they have too many projects going on and don't have the resources for the localization.

Or since Demon Souls was a sleeper hit, on the follow-up Namco outbid Atlus.

Guardian_owl.png

#13 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

Or since Demon Souls was a sleeper hit, on the follow-up Namco outbid Atlus.

Probably this. I wish it was Atlus since they KILLED on the last release.

#14 mr_burnzz

mr_burnzz

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:41 PM

I only request that they don't dumb it down at all.

C'mon..maybe a little bit? At least allow you to choose a difficulty setting. DS1 difficulty setting was on whatever comes after expert!

#15 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:07 PM

All I want is mic support for chatting. I don't care if it adds X to the gameplay, or Y to the mystery of who I am playing with. It's a god damn game and if I'm playing with a friend I want to be able to talk to them.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#16 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

C'mon..maybe a little bit? At least allow you to choose a difficulty setting. DS1 difficulty setting was on whatever comes after expert!

But that's why Demon's Souls had such a cult following, was that it didn't baby you and hold your frickin' hand like so many games out there now. That's what was fun(and frustrating) about Demon's Souls, was that you had to learn and adapt in order to get anywhere in the game. If you didn't, then you were doomed to keep repeating the same mistakes and dying horribly.

All I want is mic support for chatting. I don't care if it adds X to the gameplay, or Y to the mystery of who I am playing with. It's a god damn game and if I'm playing with a friend I want to be able to talk to them.

Messages on PSN are your friend.

Oh and FYI people DS was developed by From Software(same folks behind the Armored Core games) and the only REAL version of the game to have was the import.:booty:Otherwise it's just some other company putting their name on someone else's product. So all of the praise and/or hate for Atlus and Namco is just unjustified.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#17 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

Oh and FYI people DS was developed by From Software(same folks behind the Armored Core games) and the only REAL version of the game to have was the import.:booty:Otherwise it's just some other company putting their name on someone else's product. So all of the praise and/or hate for Atlus and Namco is just unjustified.

Um, no. When Atlus DISTRIBUTED the game with such aplomb they deserve some credit. They supported the hell out of it. And here is a news flash... FROM (which we all know developed it anyways and who we all love) didn't DISTRIBUTE the import either. Sony did. So, a company taking a risk to release this in America (which Sony was too afraid to do) deserves even more KUDOS.

Kudos to Atlus. And yes, From rocks and made a great game.

#18 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:26 PM

Messages on PSN are your friend.

I live in the digital age, and last I checked, games don't have to lack features just to be...hard, or nostalgic, or whatever it is you want to call it. No one is forcing you to use a mic to chat, but I know myself and others would like the option. OPTION ;)

#19 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

I live in the digital age, and last I checked, games don't have to lack features just to be...hard, or nostalgic, or whatever it is you want to call it. No one is forcing you to use a mic to chat, but I know myself and others would like the option. OPTION ;)

Would be a non issue if Sony implemented cross game chat... COME ON SONY.

#20 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

Would be a non issue if Sony implemented cross game chat... COME ON SONY.

Very true.

#21 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

OK. Well then, good. If we're talking about options, then I'd like the OPTION to do shitware updates when I want to or it's convenient for me and not when Sony forces you to or you're locked out of PSN until you do it.:booty:

As for cross game chat, the OPTION to delete that and any other items I don't used and likely will NEVER use from my XMB just to unclutter it would be nice as well.

We all can dream, right? It doesn't mean Sony is going to give us what we want though.:razz:

Posted Image

#22 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

Options 8-). There is always Skype and other VoIP IM programs. I used it for DS a few times with friends and for games that had poor VoIP support (such as Borderlands).

#23 Maynard46

Maynard46

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

love demon souls, but i hope they add a difficulty option this time

#24 jh6269

jh6269

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:21 PM

Guys, the game is not that hard. There are so many tricks to beating every boss, you can do it all w/o ever getting killed (really, there were more than one boss that you could kill with Poison Cloud and just standing there). Yes, it's very very difficult if you were to play without a walkthrough (because there are certain weapons you need and certain quests that aren't very obvious). I played with a FAQ the whole time and I really enjoyed the game. Even with the FAQ, it was still challenging enough for me. I really hope they don't change a thing, just add more and make it original.

On the other hand, Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? Is HARD. Soldner X Himmelssturmer is HARD. Demon's Souls takes some dedication, strategy, and some trial and error, but most gamers could probably finish the game if they stuck with it--it's not a run and gun.

#25 porieux

porieux

Posted 31 January 2011 - 09:33 PM

Can't wait!

#26 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:37 PM

love demon souls, but i hope they add a difficulty option this time

It comes down to this, if you don't read the hints and tips there are online, Demons Souls will become a very hard game, this is not a game where you can just breeze right through it on your first try.

#27 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

IF they do have difficulty settings (which I hope they do not), I hope you can still see ghosts on lower difficulty settings. I hope they make the lower difficulty ghosts pink so that you know you are playing with a wuss. I hope that instead of a helmet you can only choose flowers to put in your hair.

#28 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

I vote for a lower difficulty selection, but trophies only unlock if you play on the real difficulty.

Honestly, I hope this game plays as if they just added new areas to Demon's Souls. The one thing I do kinda hope for is a more fleshed out magic system. A lot of the spells were basically the same, and there was fire element or no element.
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#29 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:03 AM

IF they do have difficulty settings (which I hope they do not), I hope you can still see ghosts on lower difficulty settings. I hope they make the lower difficulty ghosts pink so that you know you are playing with a wuss. I hope that instead of a helmet you can only choose flowers to put in your hair.

Classic!

While I didnt platnum this (or any game) I really enjoyed Demon Souls. One of the most memorable games I have played in my life. Something about it clicked for me.

Lets not change it in anyway, just give it to me already!
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#30 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:19 AM

It comes down to this, if you don't read the hints and tips there are online, Demons Souls will become a very hard game, this is not a game where you can just breeze right through it on your first try.

Most of the tips were pretty useless though, as many of them were just repeating what others had already said.

Best one was the ones repeating how hard the game was(or so it seemed like they were saying it was) and them wanting you to rate their comment.:roll:

Posted Image