The official title is Dark Souls
There won't be separated areas like in Demon's Souls
Aiming to make it as difficult as Demon's Souls
No more job picking in the beginning
Wider selection of weapons and magic
Online play with co-op and versus
No tendency changes
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#32 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:49 PM

I really liked the tendency changes though...was a great way to switch things up every now-and-then.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#33 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

yeah boo on the tendancy changes, however I can handle that.

I know they could never say this, but I was wondering if they would possibly aim at the last pillar as being a giant world to tackle with the next game. Its interesting they said it wont have the stages like previously.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#34 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

I really hate how "leak" is thrown around nowadays. Anyway, the first details of Dark Souls came from this week's Famitsu. A more thorough source here.

Source

1920x1080 Scan of Dark Souls from Famitsu (Click spoiler)

Spoiler

Judging from the undead dragon picture at the bottom of the left. Instead of "blues," seems we have allied phantoms being white now. Its also nice to see a new rendition of the Flute armor.

#35 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

HAHAHA... Can't call it Demon's Souls what do we do? DARK SOULS! Geez. Going to miss the tendency changes but this looks SWEET! And unless there is a fast travel option no hub is going to SUCK. Imagine how many times you would die just getting back somewhere you want to go.

That white phantom just looks like a normal white phantom to me... you came across those all the time... some other schlub fighting the same monster, just not in your game.

#36 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, I made the assumption about the white phantoms as allies since the ones in Demon Souls usually showed the person being naked. Usually with a basic shield or weapon. The scan actually showed armor on the person. lol

#37 Maynard46

Maynard46

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

It comes down to this, if you don't read the hints and tips there are online, Demons Souls will become a very hard game, this is not a game where you can just breeze right through it on your first try.

oh i played the hell out of it. it is a phenominal game. it just reached a point where the frustration out weighed the enjoyment for me. thats why i wish it had difficulty settings but i know thats a trademark for the game and i assume it wont happen

http://kotaku.com/57...-play-this-year

Get Ready For the Hardest Game You'll Play This Year

Posted Image
Demon's Souls was a hard, hard game. Its spiritual successor doesn't sound any easier — even with it's brand new title.
Previously the game sported the working title "Project Dark", but according to the latest issue of Japanese game magazine Famitsu, the game is now called "Dark Souls". Spiritual successor, perhaps, but the world and the story are unrelated to Demon's Souls.
Demon's Souls was a PS3 exclusive, while medieval fantasy Dark Souls is for both the PS3 and the Xbox 360.
The game will have large areas that can be explored, so if players see, for example, a field in the distance, then they will be able to make their way there and have a look around. However, players will not be provided with a complete map in this open world, but only a marker that shows where they currently are. The entire world is conjoined, and there isn't a "hub" like in Demon's Souls that linked the five different worlds. Areas won't be only be horizontally expansive, but also vertically so. Thus, the focus on exploration is increased in Dark Souls.
Compared to Demon's Souls, Dark Souls will allow more freedom in how players play. When players create their character, their character will not be class-based. The game offers a wide variety of different weapons (and weapon animation) as well as spells and in-game items. Players are invited to fully explore their own play style — as opposed to having an assigned one.
Online-wise, the game has online play that's similar to Demon's Souls with co-op play and versus play. In the online mode, which won't have dedicated servers, players can see where other players died and leave messages. There is also "mutual roleplaying", which will be explained in greater depth at a later date.
Dark Souls sounds easy? It's apparently not. The developers are trying to make something as challenging as Demon's Souls — and just as rewarding for players. As with Demon's Souls, the themes are "learn from one's mistakes and take delight in discovery". The developers are happy that Demon's Souls was so well received aboard, and Dark Souls is slated for release this year in both Japan and the West.

#38 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

Looking for my padded cell

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

Some details have been leaked

I, for one, really like the name. Very much a homage to the original and a they got rid of the bad English. Win win if you ask me. (Considering they couldn't use Demon's Souls 2)
Not sure what to make of the other details... I guess the Co-Op and versus mechanics will be different than in DS... Which sort of sucks (I loved the oppressive atmosphere of it) but is really understandable.

Anyhow, most of my 'Wish List' has likely already been included... Game Chat/Cross-Game Chat and the controller... I loved the game, I bought it twice new (Asian and the Deluxe Edition), but I've never been able to play it for long as the game just destroys my left wrist.

Granted, its not really the games doing... My wrist has carpel tunnel and the DS3 is just not comfortable over long periods of time, especially if I'm constantly holding down the L1/LB button.

That said I would really love better character customization. :)

#39 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

I, for one, really like the name. Very much a homage to the original and a they got rid of the bad English. Win win if you ask me. (Considering they couldn't use Demon's Souls 2)
Not sure what to make of the other details... I guess the Co-Op and versus mechanics will be different than in DS... Which sort of sucks (I loved the oppressive atmosphere of it) but is really understandable.

Anyhow, most of my 'Wish List' has likely already been included... Game Chat/Cross-Game Chat and the controller... I loved the game, I bought it twice new (Asian and the Deluxe Edition), but I've never been able to play it for long as the game just destroys my left wrist.

Granted, its not really the games doing... My wrist has carpel tunnel and the DS3 is just not comfortable over long periods of time, especially if I'm constantly holding down the L1/LB button.

That said I would really love better character customization. :)

I will agree with you 100%. I wish it can be like the weapons for example if you have all the armor that has the highest defense one of it's biggest weakness is magic attacks...or something like that.

#40 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

I will agree with you 100%. I wish it can be like the weapons for example if you have all the armor that has the highest defense one of it's biggest weakness is magic attacks...or something like that.

Yeah, something like that... It would mean their would be something to say about a nice all around suit too... not to mention maybe the ability to shock abilities/bonus into said items. (like seen in Diablo 2 and many other games)

Of course what I really meant was the ability to customize what one's character looked like... Their was allot of sliders (if I remember right) but most made for some really horrific looking characters if they where touched too much.

#41 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

From what I'm hearing this game will be even harder than Demon's Souls, the types of worlds are going to be 99% like Demon's Souls but even more complex. The gameplay will remain about the same.

#42 Maynard46

Maynard46

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

Details from Famitsu:

• Dark Souls is the title. 2011 release.
  • This time they want to increase the amount of field exploration in the game.
  • All fields are seamless, so whatever you can see, you can reach and explore. If you see a fortress or castle walls in the distance, you can eventually get there.
  • There will be no map display in the game, just a position display marker.
  • They aim to make the game just as challenging as Demon's Souls, but also just as rewarding when you succeed. The sense of achievement is important.
  • The gameplay will be similar to Demon's Souls in concept, where it's about trial and error and learning from your mistakes to play better.
  • The game does not share the same world and story as Demon's Souls.
  • The game will not use the same format as Demon's Souls in terms of having 5 worlds connected via a hub.
  • Instead all maps in the game will be linked seamlessly in a connected world. The pace of the game will feel more about exploration and discovering locations, which you can then go inside a dungeon and explore the interior further.
  • There will be more complex level designs in the game using more vertical design in areas and such.
  • The world setting is based on medieval dark fantasy, and will contain themes like "high fantasy of kings and knights", "death and the depths of the earth", and "the flames of chaos".
  • The character creation process will not be class based.
  • The play style of the player character will have much more freedom this time.
  • There will be many more spells and items, and the animation and uniqueness of weapons will also be increased.
  • The online elements are very similar to Demon's Souls. There is cooperative and PvP.
  • You can still leave messages, and see players who died at various places.
  • There will be no Soul Tendency this time because they don't want to have to use dedicated servers.
  • Instead this time there will be more features allowing players to engage in "mutual role playing" which they say are still under wraps. They'll reveal more when it's time.

#43 ChalupaBatman

ChalupaBatman

Bruce Willy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 05:42 PM

Can't.

Fucking.

Wait.

#44 Snake2715

Snake2715

Gotta Have Your Toys...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:26 PM

So being all opena nd going whereever you can see.. its almost as if its a Elder Scrolls/DS hybrid.

Lets hope that this comes through as we all wish, and not a slapped together game.
-Josh

Posted Image
-courtesy of onetrackmind-

TRADE LIST

#45 loltonytony

loltonytony

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:35 PM

From what I'm hearing this game will be even harder than Demon's Souls, the types of worlds are going to be 99% like Demon's Souls but even more complex. The gameplay will remain about the same.

YES!

Spoiler

AND MORE YES! lol (but not sure about the dedicated servers thing tho)
Posted Image

#46 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

The tendency system in Demon's Souls was a nice touch, but I did find it annoying that you had to play everything a certain way in order to acquire all the pure white/black items. If you slipped up and made a mistake/killed too many bosses, it is impossible to get it until your next playthrough. That rigidity is the same reason I hated Oblivion's leveling system, because you had to play a certain, convoluted way to level efficiently.

Another reason they are likely jettisoning the tendency system is the hub world with individual levels is no more so any change would not effect just one of 5 worlds, but the entire world.

As to "Demon's Souls" being bad English, it depends how you interpret the title of the game. A Demon in the game is one who feasts on the souls of men in order to become more powerful. In the course of your quest you murder soul-starved soldiers who have gone insane and you kill demons which have fed on human souls directly. Though the souls have filtered through Demons, the source of the power is still humans, and is the reason the Soul Arts were banned. So in the course of play if you level up just once, you have become a Demon. In which case the "Demon's" in the title is singular because teh DEMON IZ U!

Even the title "Dark Souls" can have a similar double meaning.

Guardian_owl.png

#47 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:35 PM

Demon's Souls is not bad English... it just hits your tongue like a lasso. Not an easy one to rattle off.

#48 leshrac55

leshrac55

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:50 PM

All I want is mic support for chatting. I don't care if it adds X to the gameplay, or Y to the mystery of who I am playing with. It's a god damn game and if I'm playing with a friend I want to be able to talk to them.

Yes please... My first time through fighting the boss in 3-1 I had someone else in my game helping out and we quite literally were using PSN messages to try and communicate with each other while hiding from the boss... This was extremely unpleasant.

It would be interesting if they allowed a real "co-op" too, even though I know that was not the point of the first one (which was to essentially be a single-player game with occasional help from a "super-smart" AI, aka, another human). Perhaps they could just allow two different character types if they want to preserve the original feel but still let friends link up: "Classic" style where its Demon Souls-esque and you can't choose your playing partners, and a "Co-op" character, which lets you link up with other coop players of your choosing... Would sort of be like the distinction between Diablo 2 Realm characters vs. other characters. Realm characters can only play with other realm characters, other characters can be played in Single Player or in any other open game.

Can't wait for this though. Will probably get the 360 version assuming it's not terrible, as I just prefer the controller and online support.

#49 punkmaggit

punkmaggit

Masashi Hamauzu > you

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

Day 1, midnight launch, WHATEVER. Can't. Fucking. Wait.

#50 leshrac55

leshrac55

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

Guys, the game is not that hard. There are so many tricks to beating every boss, you can do it all w/o ever getting killed (really, there were more than one boss that you could kill with Poison Cloud and just standing there). Yes, it's very very difficult if you were to play without a walkthrough (because there are certain weapons you need and certain quests that aren't very obvious). I played with a FAQ the whole time and I really enjoyed the game. Even with the FAQ, it was still challenging enough for me. I really hope they don't change a thing, just add more and make it original.

On the other hand, Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero? Is HARD. Soldner X Himmelssturmer is HARD. Demon's Souls takes some dedication, strategy, and some trial and error, but most gamers could probably finish the game if they stuck with it--it's not a run and gun.

I can't speak for others here, but most people I know don't like playing with an FAQ/playthrough. I certainly try to avoid them unless I get stuck or want to know where to get something in particular, which actually did come up for this game a few times. Sometimes, though, this means losing 6 soul levels on the final boss of the game just to beat him (which had the even worse implication of it reducing my Magic level to the point where it had to remove a spell from me, and it happened to remove my most important spell just in time for New Game+). But, at least I figured out how to kill him myself at the cost of those 6 levels. =)

Nevertheless, I do agree that the game is not THAT hard if you know what you're doing and have a little patience (or you're just awesome). After all, this guy finished the game in under an hour =) :

http://kotaku.com/56...n-under-an-hour

#51 INMATEofARKHAM

INMATEofARKHAM

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

Very good point. I guess its not so much bad English as it is... uniquely used. (I just don't think an English first publisher would have named it in that manner.)

I'm guessing that the source of the release date, along with all the new news is from Famitsu, so does anyone want to venture rather 2011 release is based upon calender year or the fiscal year?

#52 commanderxp90

commanderxp90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:07 PM

Wow, that's very interested. I hope it could be related to the next Demon Soul's game or not.

Let's sign up at the Swagbucks to earn more points and redeem to get rewards:

http://www.swagbucks...r/Commanderxp90

Suppose if you want to join the League of Legends for free-to-play, then sign up at the below link:

http://signup.league...f=4c311020f13ff

#53 Assasin

Assasin

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

Wow, that's very interested. I hope it could be related to the next Demon Soul's game or not.

It's not going to have anything to do with the previous Demon's Souls except for the gameplay, story is not related.

#54 SynGamer

SynGamer

Welcome to Night Vale

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:43 PM

Isn't ['s] supposed to mean 'is' something? So "Demon's" souls should read "Demon is", no? I don't care either way, just curious.

g92sOMa.png4lNop7I.pngEwYfNFu.pngauyL8J9.pngszbgEtP.pngSoNL9s6.png

#55 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:45 PM

The first one barely had a store anyway, so it's not a big deal. The gameplay was what made Demon's Souls so great.

For the record, I thought the world and character tendency was pretty cool, but it did make it almost impossibly to find everything without an FAQ since it was very difficult to figure out how to control the tendencies just through trial and error. So while I liked them, I won't really miss them.

#56 Backlash

Backlash

www.thecoverproject.net

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

Isn't ['s] supposed to mean 'is' something? So "Demon's" souls should read "Demon is", no? I don't care either way, just curious.

's is much more often possessive than a contraction. One major exception being "its" vs "it's" where the former is possessive and the latter means "it is."

#57 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:49 PM

What Backlash said. So it is like Syngamer's Games.... the games you own which are more than one...

#58 ChibiJosh

ChibiJosh

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

I always thought it should be Demons' Souls since you acquire the souls of multiple demons throughout the game.
Posted Image
Games Completed '08 (32) - '09 (43) - '10 (48) - '11 (43) -'12 (15)
PS3 Trophy card:
Spoiler

#59 Supplice

Supplice

Popcorn.gif

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

Since they do not want dedicated servers, it suggests PvP is going to fall prey to terrible P2P connections. I wouldn't see the point of "invading" if the host is going to have the advantage. Shame too, because I would love to see how raged people would be if they died near the end of a seamless field lol. Anyway, hope for more info on that.

#60 Saint Noir

Saint Noir

CinemaScope

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

Since they do not want dedicated servers, it suggests PvP is going to fall prey to terrible P2P connections. I wouldn't see the point of "invading" if the host is going to have the advantage. Shame too, because I would love to see how raged people would be if they died near the end of a seamless field lol. Anyway, hope for more info on that.

This is where you are wrong.... huge field... HUGE area to RUN AWAY!!! :lol: