Photo
- - - - -

Eagle Eye PlayStation 3 Converter - Converts Mouse and Keyboard to PS3 Controller

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

12 bucks off ain't to shabby
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#32 Nohbdy

Nohbdy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

Whats the advantage using a keyboard and mouse over my ps3 controller?

Everything.

#33 Readthepost

Readthepost

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

Is there a BM store that has this setup for testing? I like to try it out before buying it.

#34 DaBoltz

DaBoltz

Casual CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

To Eagle Eye owners: how is DIAGONAL aiming? Is it accurate/PC-like?

I'm personally waiting for the XIM3 . It's made for the 360 -- and perhaps moddable for the PS3. From what I read, it's due out very soon.

...And NO, I don't work/own stock in that company (unlike the OP for this thread).

Re: 'cheating'. I don't look at it as cheating. If you REALLY wish for an even playing field then EVERYONE must use the RCA connections with their consoles and play on an analog TV with 2.0 sound and a dialup internet connection. Using ANYTHING else is just optimizing your playing experience.
A mouse/keyboard is just an alternative controller, IMO that helps those used to m/k. Does someone using the new silver 360 controller with 'enhanced D-pad' have an unfair advantage over those with the old controller? I don't think so. It just adds to their comfort level with the game.

Edited by DaBoltz, 02 February 2011 - 07:39 PM.

589637.png

#35 DeilGyre

DeilGyre

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

What's the return policy for the Eagle Eye, in case the 'pretty good job' you did isn't quite up to expectations?

See, I've been down this keyboard and mouse adapter road a few times.
SmartJoy Frag, MaxShooter, XFPS Sniper Pro, etc.
They all have the same problem - a general blanket approach to games that need a unique solution to their look mechanics - deadzone size, deadzone shape, translation exponent, diagonal dampening, smoothness, x/y ratio, acceleration issues, etc.

Does the Eagle Eye adapter address these issues? If so how? Can the firmware in the EE be updated, or will we have to buy a new unit every other year? (aka XFPS.)

From my experience with these adapters, the only adapter I've found that is TRULY almost PC-like, are the XIM adapters. The about-to-be-released XIM3 looks amazing, judging from all the competitive footage and info vids that have been recently put out.

Thanks for the coupon.

#36 Warrior Of Ice

Warrior Of Ice

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:12 PM

You get what you pay for. Eagle Eye, cheap. Only OK with one or two games.

Xim 2 may have been on the expansive side, not very versatile, and somewhat buggy but it let you modify configs which let you emulate a PC feel much better than anything on the market.

Xim 3 fixes everything that was wrong with Xim 2. And provides the option for translators, called Smart translators, that are the most optimal at emulating a PC feel you will get from these devices. So far only the most popular games have Smart translators but the list will grow. That's in addition to the regular translators that you can edit and modify yourself for each individual game.

#37 leckytech

leckytech

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:28 PM

You have got to be kiddin me......get real...I have spent enough of my hard earned cash on crap... stop pushing crap on the gullible masses. These half assed attempts at emulating kb.m suck fullstop...There are viable alternatives which I wont go into...google is your friend...starts with X :P

Im going to make a youtube vid soon taking a hammer to an Xscortch as proof that I wasted £70 on a lie!

#38 Emanuel83

Emanuel83

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:12 AM

I have Eagle Eye Converter, FragFX and Fragnstein/Scorch wathever you call it. So I´m in a good position to talk.

Let me tell you that none of those adapters are good. It´s all about marketing. They simply emulate an right analog stick in a mouse but it´s not accurate at all even configuring dead zones and stuff. I end up fighting with my mouse playing online rather than killing people. I don´t trust my aim with those products, because sometimes it will jaggle or skip frames and I got killed.

My advice is that don´t waste money on those. The last and final one I bought is called XIM 1 (xim3.com) and this is the only one that gave me a PC feeling playing my PS3. I hesitated a lot before buying it because I felt robbed by eagle eye and other converters, but this one made it. The only downside is that as it uses PC windows acceleration you must have your pc turned on to play, but that´s worth it and I guess in XIM3 (wich is almost out) you don´t need a PC.

So just follow the advice from someone who burnt money in a lot of junk until find the only good product that does what advertises. In my experience, and I´m not a kind of geek, other converters emulation and translation are MILES away from XIM one. Much work to do.

Cheers from Portugal

#39 Antipodes

Antipodes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:39 AM

Very strange thread.

First a straight up advertisement for a product, which was later rectified by including a deal. I'm fine with self-promotion as long as there is a worthy deal in it (<3 Markman).

Then, the previous two posts by newly registered 1 post users (Emanuel83 and leckytech) that are suggesting a different product. My guess is they are from the same IP?

When I was looking at the FragFX Shark (which is another console mouse solution from a different company), I noticed that they do some very aggressive/shady online marketing. It including making fake user accounts to praise the product and accusing real reviews of being fake. Is this market segment really this cutthroat?

#40 Animefalcon

Animefalcon

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:07 AM

Ok i have frag FX V1, Fragnstein, and a eagle eye. they all need alot of tweaking to get it right feel to it (even then they dont feel right). They all try to emulate a analog stick and it took me a long to get used to have played pc fps shooters for life (the only reason i the ones on the consoles is work related).

STICK to the PC,
if you must play on a shooter on a console the eagle eye is the way to go, even then i would still would pick up the PC version

#41 Antipodes

Antipodes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:48 AM

Ok i have frag FX V1, Fragnstein, and a eagle eye. they all need alot of tweaking to get it right feel to it (even then they dont feel right). They all try to emulate a analog stick and it took me a long to get used to have played pc fps shooters for life (the only reason i the ones on the consoles is work related).

STICK to the PC,
if you must play on a shooter on a console the eagle eye is the way to go, even then i would still would pick up the PC version

Even ignoring the cost issue, there often isn't an option.

Hell, I'd even re-buy console games I've beat like MGS4 and Uncharted 2 if they released it on PC. Playing with a mouse makes it feel like a completely different experiences with since it controls so much better.

PC gaming is in a pretty poor state, and even if it does get games, they are sometimes unoptimized shoddy ports.

#42 Animefalcon

Animefalcon

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:50 AM

Even ignoring the cost issue, there often isn't an option.

Hell, I'd even re-buy console games I've beat like MGS4 and Uncharted 2 if they released it on PC. Playing with a mouse makes it feel like a completely different experiences with since it controls so much better.

PC gaming is in a pretty poor state, and even if it does get games, they are sometimes unoptimized shoddy ports.

you dont want to know how many games i have rebought on the pc, from this gen. It was a chore to play some of these top FPS/3rd person shooters on a console (hell it took about twice as long as the intended play time cause i cant aim to save my life on a gamepad)

At least capcom does them right even tho they got off on a wrong foot Lost planet 1 (poor port) but they got around to fixing it with a better porter LP:colonies edition.

#43 Esoteria

Esoteria

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:25 AM

At least capcom does them right

I played the PC version of Resident Evil 4 after the GC version. It didn't even support mouselook. I was kind of frustrated, but on the other hand the game would be entirely too easy if you had mouselook.

As a matter of fact, that makes me wonder if they dramatically change the difficulty of multi-platform games like Call of Duty to account for the inferior control scheme on consoles.

I know that'll tick someone off who's a big console FPS fan (to be fair, it does largely depend on which control set you started on), but the proof is in the stats. Even adapted controls like this Eagle Eye system which don't fully emulate PC controls regularly top the leaderboards in console games.

#44 Animefalcon

Animefalcon

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:07 AM

I played the PC version of Resident Evil 4 after the GC version. It didn't even support mouselook. I was kind of frustrated, but on the other hand the game would be entirely too easy if you had mouselook.

As a matter of fact, that makes me wonder if they dramatically change the difficulty of multi-platform games like Call of Duty to account for the inferior control scheme on consoles.

I know that'll tick someone off who's a big console FPS fan (to be fair, it does largely depend on which control set you started on), but the proof is in the stats. Even adapted controls like this Eagle Eye system which don't fully emulate PC controls regularly top the leaderboards in console games.

you do know capcom didnt do that port it was Ubisoft

#45 Emanuel83

Emanuel83

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:37 AM

Very strange thread.

First a straight up advertisement for a product, which was later rectified by including a deal. I'm fine with self-promotion as long as there is a worthy deal in it (<3 Markman).

Then, the previous two posts by newly registered 1 post users (Emanuel83 and leckytech) that are suggesting a different product. My guess is they are from the same IP?

When I was looking at the FragFX Shark (which is another console mouse solution from a different company), I noticed that they do some very aggressive/shady online marketing. It including making fake user accounts to praise the product and accusing real reviews of being fake. Is this market segment really this cutthroat?

No way. Mere coincidence. I´m just a gamer, that´s all. And I also like to read people opinions before buying something and give some advice. That´s what I did. Those adapters are pure junk, the only one that is good is XIM. I´m not advertising nothing, just giving some advice.

Anyway, just check those videos:

youtube.com/watch?v=cxLPmrZbWjw&feature=player_embedded

have fun

#46 Duetschbag

Duetschbag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:28 PM

So I am attempting to order this (and hopefully it's a smart choice) but I am having problems with the website. Is anyone else experiencing any of these?

- Cannot check shipping because the link does not work
- Cannot create an account because the box to select State is missing
- Cannot use the quick checkout because it brings me back to same page

If the website is acting like this, I hope it's not an indicator as to how the product is going to work. Most of the youtube reviews look pretty solid, so I am hoping for the best I would really like to use the code that was posted, otherwise I'll just purchase off eBay/Amazon.

#47 sherisdoppel

sherisdoppel

The Eye in Shadow

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

I see a lot of Newbies.
Mere coincident, huh.
whitespace

#48 CephalicCarnage

CephalicCarnage

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:05 PM

So I am attempting to order this (and hopefully it's a smart choice) but I am having problems with the website. Is anyone else experiencing any of these?

If the website is acting like this, I hope it's not an indicator as to how the product is going to work. Most of the youtube reviews look pretty solid, so I am hoping for the best I would really like to use the code that was posted, otherwise I'll just purchase off eBay/Amazon.

Exactly the same issue here as well. I was absolutely ready to purchase this product but after issues with the Penguin United checkout process I gave up.

Doesn't work for me at all.

#49 LottaGames

LottaGames

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:32 PM

I didn't know about this early on and like everyone else I'd be wary of spending so much without trying it first. Instead I got a FragnStein (now called Aimon) from Ebay and it works pretty well. I understand it's not going to be perfect though. They currently have to emulate an analog stick instead of putting direct mouse input into a game.

I really wish console developers would allow native M/KB support like UT3 on PS3 did. It can't be hard and it's not fair to make us experienced players suffer with childish and inferior analogs. The genre requires M/KB, it's not playable any other way. Well I suppose you could 'play' the games but analogs for shooters work about as well as a steering wheel in a fighting game...

And right about now some tool will ask why I don't play on PC. It's because the games can't be trusted. Spyware, rootkits, malware like Steam, OS checks, requiring constant internet connections, and so on, come with the game and we don't want that. I used to game on both but moved to consoles when PC became too problematic. In the switch I had to leave FPS's behind. This is something I'd like to fix since I always enjoyed a good game of Quake, Doom, or UT.

#50 Simmeltron

Simmeltron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:02 AM

Yup same problem for me as well.. hm....

#51 PenguinUnited

PenguinUnited

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:40 AM

Hi Guys, thanks for the discussion. As for

I have been upfront from the first post, never pretended to be anyone else then from Penguin United. We are not able putting other products down or anything like that, we just want to focus on bring out a good product and because our history with CAG i thought I put in a coupon. I don't want to stand here and say how good our product is, because it won't matter until you try it. We have great return policy, basically no questions asked within "stated 30 days" but really as long as its not like more then 2 months we are cool with you returning it. Even if its more then 2 months and we don't feel like its a scam then we are good about that too.

The EEC 2.0 is only a few months old, but we have a lot of good feed backs already. We are not going to go around promoting a product that people don't like, there are plenty of reviews out there on Amazon and places. We can't lie about this stuff.

#52 Antipodes

Antipodes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, to be clear, the only problem I had with Penguin United was that the thread was not a deal when it was first created.

#53 CephalicCarnage

CephalicCarnage

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:37 AM

Checkout process seems to be working now!

#54 Duetschbag

Duetschbag

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:04 PM

Thanks Cephalic! I just ordered mine. I am still skeptical as I think most people are, but coming from an entirely PC background, I needed something. :) I will try and get a good video review up as soon as I receive it. Wish me luck!

EDIT: Mine was just shipped.

Edited by Duetschbag, 04 February 2011 - 07:26 PM.

#55 Zerokku

Zerokku

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

=
Now its great that they moved the FPS to a cheater free, lag free, and the standard hardware console platform,

Yah... thanks for stereotyping PC gaming/gamers there. Just have to say that doesn't make me want to support you any.

#56 CephalicCarnage

CephalicCarnage

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

Deutschbag, looking forward to your review!

#57 xyxyll

xyxyll

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:54 AM

Very strange thread.

In case you're wondering, yes, XIM3 fanboys were hijacking the thread.

xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=8474.msg97582#msg97582

#58 Antipodes

Antipodes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:09 AM

In case you're wondering, yes, XIM3 fanboys were hijacking the thread.

xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=8474.msg97582#msg97582

Not nearly as bad as I thought it was. Hijacking is dirty but at least it was done by real fans, who do show reserve, and not people paid by XIM.

At least that's what I could make out from that link.

#59 PenguinUnited

PenguinUnited

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

Yeah we have no problem people doing that its okay. Freedom of speech right? As long as XIM doesn't come to our forum to do that its alright with me. For those who ordered, thank you and I like to know what your thoughts are, thanks! Remember to turn your turbo off, often times the turbo comes "on" and you feel that you cannot aim down sight or pick up your weapons, thats because your aim down slight or weapon pickup button is on turbo.

#60 Mr. Jack

Mr. Jack

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:22 AM

For what it's worth, I reviewed this when it came out. I found it to be a pretty good device though it definitely didn't hit the mark of perfect PC-like KB&M control.

Playing UT3 with both the native KB&M support and the emulated KB&M support of the Eagle Eye really cleared up that fact. There was a general jumpiness and insensitivity of the emulation (which I definitely expected when I started with it).

I can't say I've tried the device with the v2 firmware, so all of these impressions come from when the device was first released. For those that don't want to click through and read about some of my specific tests from the review, here's the bottom line:

While the Eagle Eye unit is solidly constructed, feature rich, and easily customizable, it is not quite perfect in its implementation. Players shouldn't expect to-the-PC accurate control, but something very close to it. Unfortunately, if those looking to invest in the Eagle Eye don't already have a gaming mouse, they might find that the price investment is even greater after purchasing a proper laser mouse. The base MSRP on the device is also quite steep, which might be prohibitive for most gamers just to use their preferred control devices. The Eagle Eye Converter is reserved specifically for ex-PC gamers who no longer have a rig to enjoy the latest and greatest shooter titles on.

Check out PixlBit!