THQ - 75% off selected PC Digital Games

mbierden

CAG Veteran
75% off selected digital PC games at store.thq.com!!!

Feature Titles:
Metro 2033 (Compatible with Steam Account)
Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® - Chaos Rising
Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® - Gold Edition
Company of Heroes® Gold Edition
Titan Quest™ Gold Edition
Supreme Commander™ Gold Edition
Saints Row 2
Darksiders

List of all discounted PC games can be found at the below site:

http://store.thq.com/promo/86254000

Deal Valid from February 3rd - 7th, 2011

Company of heroes, Dawn of war and titan quest are all fantastic if anyone one here has managed not to buy them yet.

Most THQ keys work with steam.

Dawn of War II, Saint's Row II, Darksiders, and Metro 2033 are all Steam compatible keys, for example.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Most THQ keys work with steam.

Dawn of War II, Saint's Row II, Darksiders, and Metro 2033 are all Steam compatible keys, for example.[/QUOTE]

Wow awesome. so if i bought darksiders and saints row 2 where do i find my keys to put them into steam?

[quote name='Eldredpe']Most THQ keys work with steam.

Dawn of War II, Saint's Row II, Darksiders, and Metro 2033 are all Steam compatible keys, for example.[/QUOTE]

Here is the official list of retail CD keys that can be activated on steam. It does include Dawn of War II, but doesn't mention the Chaos Rising expansion so I'm not sure if that one would work. Can anyone verify?

Those are some great prices for some great games. Dawn of War II is fun, especially in coop.

[quote name='bugeeker']Here is the official list of retail CD keys that can be activated on steam. It does include Dawn of War II, but doesn't mention the Chaos Rising expansion so I'm not sure if that one would work. Can anyone verify?

Those are some great prices for some great games. Dawn of War II is fun, especially in coop.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing about Chaos Rising, but am thinking maybe they just lumped it in as a "Dawn of War 2" key?
(If anyone wants to confirm this, I'd be appreciative. I'll happily test it though once I'm at home from work)

Interesting link:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375794
The wording here has me thinking that yes, any retail copies of Chaos Rising can be activated through Steam. Woot! :D

I bought Dawn of War 2 and Chaos Rising from the THQ store from the last sale and I registered both keys on Steam. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work now.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I just got a gaming laptop in the mail and I'm completely new to pc gaming. Why does everyone love steam so much?[/QUOTE]

the sales steam does, they have a summer sale, xmas sale, weekend sales, midweek sales, developer sales, and more. (ive only experienced the xmas sale from this year so far)

being able to buy from them and download the game, instead of having to go out and get it, or wait for shipping.

if you do have a download limit from your isp, it can suck though.

heres the steam thread, so you can keep in touch with whats on sale right now, and past sales to see why steam is awesome.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279000

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I just got a gaming laptop in the mail and I'm completely new to pc gaming. Why does everyone love steam so much?[/QUOTE]

Well not having to deal with the discs is nice, but it is mainly the sales. For one of the Christmas sales I bought 26 games for $50 and some of the games included GTA 4 and Red Faction Guerrilla so they weren't all indie games or anything.

[quote name='psynide']the sales steam does, they have a summer sale, xmas sale, weekend sales, midweek sales, developer sales, and more. (ive only experienced the xmas sale from this year so far)

being able to buy from them and download the game, instead of having to go out and get it, or wait for shipping.

if you do have a download limit from your isp, it can suck though.

heres the steam thread, so you can keep in touch with whats on sale right now, and past sales to see why steam is awesome.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279000[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, I should have specified more. Why is everyone worried about whether you can register these on steam or not?

I'm quite familiar with the steam sales which is why I wanted a laptop that could handle gaming but aside from the awesome sales what's the big deal if it registers on steam or not?

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I'm sorry, I should have specified more. Why is everyone worried about whether you can register these on steam or not?

I'm quite familiar with the steam sales which is why I wanted a laptop that could handle gaming but aside from the awesome sales what's the big deal if it registers on steam or not?[/QUOTE]

Basically, people buy so many games during the steam sales that they have a ton in their client. With that said, some prefer to try and have as many games in one place as possible, and if these games can be put into their steam library they will all be in the same place.

For me, it's just become the face of PC gaming. It's an extremely well built and well organized system that manages all of your games (and your settings if the game supports steam clouds). In addition, they did a good job of weaving in the community aspect so much like XBox Live (and probably PSN. wouldn't know since i never really game on there) you're always connected to your friends and regular gaming groups all from one interface.

One major thing is that as said above, Steam always has -excellent- sales. Typically three or more a year, where you can get games for stupidly cheap. (Super Meat Boy for $3.75 as one example, from the last Christmas sale)

You also don't have to worry about DRM really. A number of games still retain some but for the most part, Steam games come with no additional DRM aside from just having to log into Steam itself. I've seen plenty of games that had limited activations or the like, only to have them removed from a Steam version since the service already does a fairly good job (as good a job as anything else) on rights management.

Oh, and apparently the EULA is written such that if the Steam service ever goes down, we get full copies of our game that we can install as we wish. Point being, unlike services such as XBL or PSN, there's no need to worry about losing your games if the service ever goes down for good.

So yeah. Great interface for purchasing, managing games, as well as community hijinks and less DRM for the most part, plus the promise of still keeping my games should the service fail. For me, that's why Steam is so amazing.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I'm sorry, I should have specified more. Why is everyone worried about whether you can register these on steam or not?[/QUOTE]
And to answer the question that magically appeared whilst typing my wall o' text, as already said above. It's nice to have all of your games kept together. (Though if you're paranoid about digital copies lasting, the whole EULA thing listed above doesn't hurt either)

[quote name='exileinoblivion']I'm sorry, I should have specified more. Why is everyone worried about whether you can register these on steam or not?

I'm quite familiar with the steam sales which is why I wanted a laptop that could handle gaming but aside from the awesome sales what's the big deal if it registers on steam or not?[/QUOTE]

Steam has a great UI and is really well organized and easy to use. It keeps track of all the games that you own so that your friends can see, and it also has ingame text and voice chat. Throw in the amazing deals that they have on games, and it makes it most peoples favorite DD service ;).

[/QUOTE]

Brainwashing. ;) And people have gotten lazy in trying to keep track of their stuff. :roll:

And because how bad most drm has become. When Steam was first introduced, it was the worst form of drm out there. But now it's considered one of the most consumer friendly. Just goes to show how badly publishers have screwed over their customers. :cry:

No one really answered his question:[quote name='exileinoblivion']I'm sorry, I should have specified more. Why is everyone worried about whether you can register these on steam or not?[/QUOTE]It's because they use Steam as a central repository for as much of their library as possible. While Steam has good deals, other outlets like Direct 2 Drive or even B&M stores clearancing physical copies of games are sources of deals and we're interested if we can tie those purchases to our Steam accounts.

For example:

* I bought F.E.A.R. 2 for cheap from Target and installed it off the discs. When I put the key into Steam, it copied the directories over to the Steam folder, but I could toss the discs if I wanted because I can re-download again.

* Defense Grid was bought from D2D. I popped the key into Steam and installed from there.

* I found my original Half-Life CD, bought the day it came out in 1998. I plug in the code and my account has the Platinum Collection tied to it which included all the expansions (Opposing Forces, Blue Shift). Nice.

Another cool thing starting to catch on is their Steam Cloud service in which your game settings and saves are stored with your profile, allowing you to bounce from one computer to another to play. Torchlight, Plants vs. Zombies, and Penny Arcade Tales all use this and because they're also Mac and PC games, I can play at home and then continue on my MacBook Pro when I'm out and then continue back at home. Niceness!

Hopes this clarifies why people are such Steam fanboys.

BTW, is Metro 2033 worth a Hamilton or is it another S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-type snoozefest with major eye candy meant to distract?

[quote name='DirkBelig']BTW, is Metro 2033 worth a Hamilton or is it another S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-type snoozefest with major eye candy meant to distract?[/QUOTE]

I finished Metro on the 360 and liked it. It feels very similar to Stalker as far as atmosphere and mechanics, but the main difference is that it's very linear. I'm going to pick it up and play it again on pc.

[quote name='TTO']Is the extended download service worth it?[/QUOTE]

If the games you buy are tied to a Steam account the answer is no. You can always redownload your games from Steam. On other titles I'm not sure how long the THQ store gives you access to the download.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DirkBelig']BTW, is Metro 2033 worth a Hamilton or is it another S.T.A.L.K.E.R.-type snoozefest with major eye candy meant to distract?[/QUOTE]

Not sure if serious or not. Maybe you played without the complete 2009 mod.

[quote name='Metalic']Not sure if serious or not. Maybe you played without the complete 2009 mod.[/QUOTE]The fact that it requires a overhaul mod that came two years after release pretty much proves my point as to its utter crapitude. If there is a patch that makes that game fun, I'd appreciate a link to it. I'd rather take my chances in a real Ukrainian nuclear wasteland than play that game in vanilla form. One of my worst gaming buys ever.

EDIT: OK, this looks to be it - http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009 - and they're working on a 2012 Complete update. I guess I'll wait for that one. Thanks for the tip.

Picked up both Dawn Of War II's (Steam Registered), Dawn Of War Gold (No Steam), and Company Of Heroes Gold (Registered with Steam as "Retail Beta"). I haven't tried downloading Company from Steam yet but as they sell both games, I'll assume it's a no-go on Steam. Still, for the $ these seem like a great deal, Steam or not...thanks for the heads-up.

[quote name='DirkBelig']No one really answered his question:It's because they use Steam as a central repository for as much of their library as possible. While Steam has good deals, other outlets like Direct 2 Drive or even B&M stores clearancing physical copies of games are sources of deals and we're interested if we can tie those purchases to our Steam accounts.

For example:

* I bought F.E.A.R. 2 for cheap from Target and installed it off the discs. When I put the key into Steam, it copied the directories over to the Steam folder, but I could toss the discs if I wanted because I can re-download again.

* Defense Grid was bought from D2D. I popped the key into Steam and installed from there.

* I found my original Half-Life CD, bought the day it came out in 1998. I plug in the code and my account has the Platinum Collection tied to it which included all the expansions (Opposing Forces, Blue Shift). Nice.

Another cool thing starting to catch on is their Steam Cloud service in which your game settings and saves are stored with your profile, allowing you to bounce from one computer to another to play. Torchlight, Plants vs. Zombies, and Penny Arcade Tales all use this and because they're also Mac and PC games, I can play at home and then continue on my MacBook Pro when I'm out and then continue back at home. Niceness!

Hopes this clarifies why people are such Steam fanboys.[/QUOTE]

I don't think Penny Arcade has cloud support.

I'm looking at it in my library and it doesn't have a cloud icon.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I don't think Penny Arcade has cloud support.
I'm looking at it in my library and it doesn't have a cloud icon.[/QUOTE]Whoops! It appears I mistook SteamPlay (Mac+PC) for cloud support. I view my library in Details view, so I don't see the cloud. I stand corrected.

oh my butt! my butt! Darksiders for 10 bucks..........do i? i only heard good things about this game but ive had no hands on with it.

[quote name='sublime90']oh my butt! my butt! Darksiders for 10 bucks..........do i? i only heard good things about this game but ive had no hands on with it.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was amazing for the $15 I paid.

If you like Zelda you'll like it. Basically zelda with a more mature art theme.

Doesn't activate on Steam, but Titan Quest Gold is a steal at 5$ if you're into diablo clones. The mythological setting is great and who doesn't want to play Diablo with ragdoll deaths? I've sunk about 70 hours into co-op with my girlfriend.

Cool, you guys all sold me on Steam. I love xbox live so if it's like that I'm on board.

Also thanks OP I picked up Dawn of War 2 and chaos rising. I'm contemplating Company of heroes gold pack yet.

Actually... I can confirm that Soulstorm activates on steam, and it has curiously been removed from the Retail CD Keys list (it definitely used to be listed).

I picked Soulstorm and Chaos Rising up (already had dow2) and they both activated.

Just reinstalled S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and slapped the Complete 2009 mod on it and it sure is hella better in the environmental visuals, particularly the weather. I'm still thinking the omniscient enemies are a problem, but there seems to be TONS more ammo. When I seemed to have only a dozen rounds before, I've got over 100 now. All the dog attacks still suck, though. Thanks for the tip!

Still not sure about getting Metro 2033. By the time I get around to playing it, it'll be $5 during the Christmas 2011 Steam sale.

Wow, hot deal. Got DOW2 even though I've played it on my friend's computer and Chaos Rising. Plus, it has GFWL achievements! Can't go wrong!
And both activated on Steam without a hitch. That completely blew my mind. Technology is AMAZING.

bread's done
Back