Photo
- - - - -

THQ - 75% off selected PC Digital Games

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 DeathDream

DeathDream

Posted 03 February 2011 - 09:54 PM

I'll give Dawn of War II a try at that price...

Edited by DeathDream, 03 February 2011 - 10:20 PM.

#32 jleazott

jleazott

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:08 PM

Picked up both Dawn Of War II's (Steam Registered), Dawn Of War Gold (No Steam), and Company Of Heroes Gold (Registered with Steam as "Retail Beta"). I haven't tried downloading Company from Steam yet but as they sell both games, I'll assume it's a no-go on Steam. Still, for the $ these seem like a great deal, Steam or not...thanks for the heads-up.

#33 YEAHBUDDY

YEAHBUDDY

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:41 PM

Heres another small extra. http://www.pcgamer.c...launching-soon/ If you get Dawn of War 2 you should be getting a beta key soon for the new expansion Retribution.

#34 basilofbkrst

basilofbkrst

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

Picked up DOW2 and Chaos, thanks OP.

#35 Eldredpe

Eldredpe

Disconcerted

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:34 PM

No one really answered his question:It's because they use Steam as a central repository for as much of their library as possible. While Steam has good deals, other outlets like Direct 2 Drive or even B&M stores clearancing physical copies of games are sources of deals and we're interested if we can tie those purchases to our Steam accounts.

For example:

* I bought F.E.A.R. 2 for cheap from Target and installed it off the discs. When I put the key into Steam, it copied the directories over to the Steam folder, but I could toss the discs if I wanted because I can re-download again.

* Defense Grid was bought from D2D. I popped the key into Steam and installed from there.

* I found my original Half-Life CD, bought the day it came out in 1998. I plug in the code and my account has the Platinum Collection tied to it which included all the expansions (Opposing Forces, Blue Shift). Nice.

Another cool thing starting to catch on is their Steam Cloud service in which your game settings and saves are stored with your profile, allowing you to bounce from one computer to another to play. Torchlight, Plants vs. Zombies, and Penny Arcade Tales all use this and because they're also Mac and PC games, I can play at home and then continue on my MacBook Pro when I'm out and then continue back at home. Niceness!

Hopes this clarifies why people are such Steam fanboys.

I don't think Penny Arcade has cloud support.

I'm looking at it in my library and it doesn't have a cloud icon.

#36 RepedeGoesWoof

RepedeGoesWoof

Woof Woof Woof

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:42 PM

I jumped onto Steam only a couple of weeks ago after I upgraded my computer.

I love it!
Posted Image

#37 F8X

F8X

CAG app for the Android!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

Awesome deals. Gonna pick up Darksiders and Metro2033.

464374.png

#38 DirkBelig

DirkBelig

The Belligerent One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:31 AM

I don't think Penny Arcade has cloud support.
I'm looking at it in my library and it doesn't have a cloud icon.

Whoops! It appears I mistook SteamPlay (Mac+PC) for cloud support. I view my library in Details view, so I don't see the cloud. I stand corrected.

133994.png DirkBelig.png5fbfd2ddbe4d9137.png DirkBelig.png

#39 sublime90

sublime90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:07 AM

oh my butt! my butt! Darksiders for 10 bucks..........do i? i only heard good things about this game but ive had no hands on with it.
Posted Image
I was half cut, im not slippin man i slipped! - Max Payne

#40 fujimitsu

fujimitsu

I came to drink milk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:23 AM

oh my butt! my butt! Darksiders for 10 bucks..........do i? i only heard good things about this game but ive had no hands on with it.

I thought it was amazing for the $15 I paid.

If you like Zelda you'll like it. Basically zelda with a more mature art theme.

#41 mrsamsa

mrsamsa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:10 AM

Doesn't activate on Steam, but Titan Quest Gold is a steal at 5$ if you're into diablo clones. The mythological setting is great and who doesn't want to play Diablo with ragdoll deaths? I've sunk about 70 hours into co-op with my girlfriend.

#42 Ness3

Ness3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:22 AM

Picked up Chaos Rising and it activated on Steam just fine. Thanks OP, been waiting for this to drop.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#43 Tallest_Midget

Tallest_Midget

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:29 AM

Thanks OP I picked up Dawn of War 2 and chaos rising, activated on steam.

#44 Wolfnix90

Wolfnix90

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:07 AM

does anyone know if Company of heroes pack or titan quest pack work

on steam?

#45 exileinoblivion

exileinoblivion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:11 AM

Cool, you guys all sold me on Steam. I love xbox live so if it's like that I'm on board.

Also thanks OP I picked up Dawn of War 2 and chaos rising. I'm contemplating Company of heroes gold pack yet.

#46 brandonandtiff

brandonandtiff

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:11 AM

No they don't, only the games on this list can be activated on Steam: https://support.stea...WUSF-3601#which

#47 ZeroFactorial

ZeroFactorial

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:16 AM

Actually... I can confirm that Soulstorm activates on steam, and it has curiously been removed from the Retail CD Keys list (it definitely used to be listed).

I picked Soulstorm and Chaos Rising up (already had dow2) and they both activated.

#48 DirkBelig

DirkBelig

The Belligerent One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:16 AM

Just reinstalled S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and slapped the Complete 2009 mod on it and it sure is hella better in the environmental visuals, particularly the weather. I'm still thinking the omniscient enemies are a problem, but there seems to be TONS more ammo. When I seemed to have only a dozen rounds before, I've got over 100 now. All the dog attacks still suck, though. Thanks for the tip!

Still not sure about getting Metro 2033. By the time I get around to playing it, it'll be $5 during the Christmas 2011 Steam sale.

133994.png DirkBelig.png5fbfd2ddbe4d9137.png DirkBelig.png

#49 Shadowiii

Shadowiii

Do the Mario!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:38 AM

Wow, hot deal. Got DOW2 even though I've played it on my friend's computer and Chaos Rising. Plus, it has GFWL achievements! Can't go wrong!
And both activated on Steam without a hitch. That completely blew my mind. Technology is AMAZING.
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
Posted Image

Want something really cheap? Try Paradise Seekers, my $1 eBook on Amazon!

Also, check out my blog, where I'm trying to review every game I've ever played!

#50 dkcecil

dkcecil

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

Picked up Chaos Rising (missed out on it when it was first released because of my backlog) and it activated on Steam no problem. Downloading now. Can't beat that price, I love the Warhammer RTS games.

Started playing the beta for Retribution yesterday and I'm really liking the improved Imperial Guard. Now, bring on the Necrons!
Like old school horror and B movies? Check this out.
http://www.goodbadflicks.com/

#51 Zippon

Zippon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:41 PM

Is the extended download service worth it?

This is actually a great question. I've never used THQ's download service before, but the terms of the EDS imply that without it you only get one download from THQ. And if you lose that copy (hard drive crash, deletion, etc) you are SOL unless you've purchased EDS. Does anyone know for sure? Because that sounds rotten unless you back up your own software (would it even allow that?).

As someone else said, it becomes a moot point if you can register on Steam. ;)

edit:
After making the purchase, their download FAQ is misleading. One bullet tells you how to re-download their software but doesn't mention an extra fee. The next bullet explains that EDS allows you to download your purchase again. So the implied situation is one download. That's it.

Edited by Zippon, 04 February 2011 - 02:53 PM.

#52 EdgeZephyr

EdgeZephyr

Gear Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

After making the purchase, their download FAQ is misleading. One bullet tells you how to re-download their software but doesn't mention an extra fee. The next bullet explains that EDS allows you to download your purchase again. So the implied situation is one download. That's it.

Considering that the game uses limited installs (10-15, and you can request a new key from MS i hear?) and cd-keys for drm, it seems asinine to even bother with only one download from the THQ store. =\ Well not to be a fanboy, but now I sure know i -won't- be buying anything during this sale that isn't compatible with Steam. (Yes, I realize i could back up my installers. Still disgusts me though.)

Personally, I will probably jump at the sound of skeleton hooves and distant screaming for the rest of my life.

I think my wallet made a shrieking sound and scurried off into a dark corner, once I pulled up the Steam page.

Posted Image

#53 WatTsu

WatTsu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

Considering Red Faction: Guerrilla, CoH, and Titan Quest. If I already own Torchlight, is Titan Quest necessary?

Of course, since these don't seem to activate on Steam, that might be a bit of a dealbreaker.
Executive Producer, Host, and Creator
Geekspeak
http://www.geekspeakradio.us

#54 vherub

vherub

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:51 PM

I like steam because say, when I buy an indie game direct from the developer, often I will get an email with a direct download link. And that's fine, except I forget I bought the game, or delete the email. Or upgrade to a new computer. I forget I've bought games on steam all the time, but I can see them and install as needed.
Even if I add games to steam, i can't add the info of where the install information is and when dealing with multiple computers, putting the game on them becomes that much harder.
I have dozen of games from small developers, or gog or gamersgate, direct2drive, impulse, eastore, greenmangaming, etc and as the years pass more will fall through the cracks.
I suppose I could buy less games, or keep better track of what I buy. But I like giving money to game developers, and Steam keeps track for me.

#55 Indignate

Indignate

☽Scinon☾

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:24 PM

Picked up DoW2 and Chaos Rising and immediately tied them to Steam.

Like most in this thread, Steam is my preferred way of dealing with PC gaming.

#56 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's Favorite DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:57 PM

Can the OP edit into the first post a list of exactly what games can be registered on Steam here?

#57 jazyje

jazyje

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:15 PM

Is it true that MX vs ATV Reflex can be activated on steam?

#58 kart007k

kart007k

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

I bought Supreme Commander and its not available on steam, but its on their list
"You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. " - Layer Cake

#59 msu89dawgs

msu89dawgs

Are you threatening me?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

Is it true that MX vs ATV Reflex can be activated on steam?

Yes, I bought it yesterday on the chance it would activate on Steam, and it did. Already d/l'ed and played it.

iconbluraypng.png - 626
DVD - 229

#60 jazyje

jazyje

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:42 PM

Was Dawn of War ever cheaper on Steam?