Plasma TV buzz/hum- anyone else?

thefearsomefearful

CAGiversary!
So, I bought a 60" plasma TV a while back at Costco (LG, 1299.99- yeah, I know that's a lot but it was Christmas for the wife and I, and Borderlands split screen was phenomenal!) and it has started occasionally getting into spells where the hum/buzz is very loud from viewing distance. It sounds a lot like the low-level hum usually heard right at the back of the TV, only amplified, and changes level with the brightness of the image on the screen.

Anyone else experience this? Any thoughts on whether I should return it? (I am still within my 90 days at Costco). Hate to box it up and haul it back but don't want to spend this much on something that might have a problem.

I had exactly it on a 42" Vizio I tried a few years back--turned out it was a common flaw on that model per web reviews and the Vizio tech couldn't fix it (replaced the power supply but it still buzzed loudly) so I returned it and ended up getting a different brand.

In short, you shouldn't get any noticeable buzz. If you do it's defective or just a problem with a part in a certain model. So I'd exchange it, and if the 2nd one does it go with a different brand/model.

My 46" Panasonic has a bit of a low level buzz that it puts out from the back, but its not loud enough to be noticeable unless you have it muted. I think some buzz is normal for plasmas, but if you can hear it over the normal volume of the TV there is likely something wrong. I'd return it and see what the replacement does.

All plasma's have a buzz. This buzz though shouldn't be loud enough to be noticeable. My 50 inch Samsung plasma you can only hear the buzz (pretty light in sound) by being right next to the TV. From a couch I can't hear it even when the sound is muted.

My suggestion is to type your model and "buzz" in a google search and see if it is a defect of that model.

bread's done
Back