Photo
- - - - -

steampowered.com Railworks 2 train sim complete dlc pack $199.99 (reg. $1073)

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#31 mrfossey

mrfossey

Family Love KWal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:27 AM

I'm not sure how a rail simulator is any more of a retarded waste of time than Call of Duty, but okay.

Seconded.
"If you hold out too long you could jeopardize your credit rating!"

Posted Image

#32 turls

turls

Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:45 AM

Anybody who hasn't been here a while may not realize that anything over x dollars ($100?) gets a whole bunch of stupid responses like in this thread.

CAG does not always mean a scratched up $9 game at GameStop ok?

#33 psynide

psynide

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:53 AM

OMG. Watch this train! I bet it's going to go right down the track! A thrill a minute!

the point is, what you do for fun might seem boring to others, vise versa.

#34 mkaliaz

mkaliaz

Scurvy Dog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

See...if you ever wondered how bad DLC could possibly get, here it is. Over $1000 in DLC?!?

#35 Spokker

Spokker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:36 AM

See...if you ever wondered how bad DLC could possibly get, here it is. Over $1000 in DLC?!?

Most of the DLC is made by 3rd-parties, not the developer, just like Microsoft Flight Simulator. You can purchase the game, fire up the route builder and release your finished product, either for pay or for free.

You don't have to buy it all. You don't have to buy any of it.

Most people don't buy it all, but pick and choose what they like.

The base game has plenty of content. I have not purchased any add-ons and feel like I've gotten a full-fledged game. Unlike Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 games, content was not withheld and sold as DLC later. This isn't DLC where the content is on the disc and you buy a "key" to unlock it off of the Xbox Live Marketplace.

#36 burz88

burz88

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:45 AM

While i know almost no one is going to buy this $200 deal, its not much worse than the people that pay ~$90 for Call of duty every year, game and map packs.

#37 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

I'd get it if I had $250 to blow.

I love railroad stuff, and I miss MS Train Sim.

You should buy the base game. (Yes, I do own the base game.) If you like MS Train Sim, you'll feel right at home with Railworks.

Railworks is a direct descendant of MS Train Simulator, through several generations and different parent companies.

MS Train Simulator -> Rail Simulator -> Railworks -> Railworks2.

It's not terribly "fun", no, but it's an excellent simulator.

I haven't bought any DLC and don't really feel compelled to. There's lots of tracks and trains in the base game for casual rail fans.

The appeal of the DLC, i think, is mainly to get tracks that you have a specific interest in. I would buy an add-on for track that runs through the city where I live, for instance. It's a very rare bird that wants it all, though. $200 is a crazy price. For more content than you could play in a lifetime.

#38 dabamus

dabamus

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:48 AM

I was gonna buy the base game during the holiday sale, but I didn't have anything in paypal at that time.

Next time it goes on sale I'll buy it then.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Too bad I see him being hit by a parked bus in the near future.

#39 PublikDefender

PublikDefender

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:56 AM

While i know almost no one is going to buy this $200 deal, its not much worse than the people that pay ~$90 for Call of duty every year, game and map packs.

exactly. and i shelled out $100 on gran turismo 5 ce in november (1st time i ever bought a ce at msrp). this isn't for me, but everyone's passionate about something.

#40 KingDox

KingDox

Scream My Name

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:18 AM

Anybody who hasn't been here a while may not realize that anything over x dollars ($100?) gets a whole bunch of stupid responses like in this thread.

CAG does not always mean a scratched up $9 game at GameStop ok?

This is so true. I know I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person on CAG who has spend more then 200 bucks on DLC for rockband. If the deal isn't for you why feel the need to hate on it?

#41 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:24 AM

This is so true. I know I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person on CAG who has spend more then 200 bucks on DLC for rockband. If the deal isn't for you why feel the need to hate on it?

I don't even want to know how much I've spent on Rock Band DLC. I'm well over 100 songs in. But that's nickel and diming over an extended period of time. Not quite the same thing.

#42 Rai Rai

Rai Rai

Titanfall DLC #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:27 AM

Bro, I was JUST looking for a way to expand my virtual train set with some overpriced DLC. This is fucking perfect and for only $200! Bought.

#43 funkflexmctough

funkflexmctough

Mmmm.....deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:06 PM

I was looking for a basic (circle) train set for underneath the christams tree this year at a hobby/toy store and was amazed at how expensive they are.

I could've bought this sim AND a monitor to put under the tree to display it on!

Heck, I could've bought 6 NEAT remote controlled cars at the same store for the same price. Then tied them all together and driven my "train" anywhere.
Posted Image

i buy that used games .i don,t have any problem

#44 Puffa469

Puffa469

is too Pro Shops

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:49 PM

Value is in the eye of the consumer. If my wife saw a $1000 handbag for only $200, she'd probably buy it and feel she got a great deal. Me... notsomuch.

Originally Posted by wubb Posted Image
Puffa is pretty much always dead on.

#45 jab1235

jab1235

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

I'm not sure how a rail simulator is any more of a retarded waste of time than Call of Duty, but okay.

it's not, this one just cost's more :/

#46 Jackie Chandler

Jackie Chandler

Jamanandayo!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

I want to quote like half the posts in this thread FT.

Seriously, $800 off sounds like a hell of a deal, but not when it's still $200 for a pack of DLC. How do you justify something like this? Or better yet, how do you justify pricing this at $1073 to begin with?

#47 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

I can imagine that this game might seem like a pretty good deal to model train collectors (or is it model train players?). Buying actual train models must add up in cost really quickly. It looks like a single high quality train model goes for $70+. Maybe in comparison this game is actually a really good deal for its target audience.

Edited by Thrinn, 07 February 2011 - 03:12 PM.

#48 Dysheekie

Dysheekie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:57 PM

I'm not trying to be an a-hole here, and this will sound ignorant -- but what do all the buttons on trains do? I can see a control for speeding up and slowing down, but what does everything else do?
Posted Image

#49 itachiitachi

itachiitachi

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

It kind of seems like the DLC was way overpriced in the first place($21 for 3 trains and 4 levels really?) so that they could lower it to just overpriced and make money off people buying something because it is "on sale"

Edited by itachiitachi, 07 February 2011 - 03:37 PM.

Forgive me if I have a little nuance to my worldview, and am not a black/white ideologue who can't grasp complexity.

This is perhaps the most ironic thing I have ever seen on CAG.

#50 mogamer

mogamer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

It kind of seems like the DLC was way overpriced in the first place($21 for 3 trains and 4 level really?) so that they could lower it to just overpriced and make money off people buying something because it is "on sale"

I know this is a specialized game, and I'm sure these dl paks aren't expected to sell many copies. But really, how can these prices be justified?

#51 Big Matty Kane

Big Matty Kane

Soup du Jour

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:45 PM

I got curious and IGN gave this a 7.0 (Metacritic has the game at 70). I'll just go buy ____ Tycoon.

#52 typical guy

typical guy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

This is silly expensive. It costs the same as windows OS and that's on sale!

#53 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

I'm not trying to be an a-hole here, and this will sound ignorant -- but what do all the buttons on trains do? I can see a control for speeding up and slowing down, but what does everything else do?

windshield wipers?
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#54 Dysheekie

Dysheekie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

windshield wipers?

I'm sold. In for all the DLC as well, assuming one of the packs includes winterized wipers.
Posted Image

#55 abhinav

abhinav

"Scooty Puff Jr. sucks!"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

Wasn't CheapyD really into this game a while back with Tai? I swear he was but I could be confused

Twitter: Onekumar
Now Playing:
ifqh2N3.pngyErIY3s.png2q1uoso.jpg

#56 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:00 PM

I'm sold. In for all the DLC as well, assuming one of the packs includes winterized wipers.

Heh. The game actually does have wipers. And other buttons for lights and horns. Choooooooooooo! As far as other controls, the brakes and throttle are seperate controls, just like in your car, except you operate them by hand. But that's pretty much it. The engineer's cab is sparse, although each train is modeled differently, which is sort of cool. In advanced mode, you have to look around to find all the controls in the cab... in the simple mode (sort of an "arcade" mode), there is an overlay that is the same for every cab, so you don't have to re-learn each cab's layout.

Maybe you're thinking of all the buttons in an airplane cockpit.

#57 Yars

Yars

I'd buy that for a dollar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:02 PM

I know this is a specialized game, and I'm sure these dl paks aren't expected to sell many copies. But really, how can these prices be justified?

The fact that the game is specialized is the reason the prices are so high. Because sales are so low they have to charge high prices in order to justify development costs. A realistic train simulator isn't exactly going fly off the shelves. Even if the DLC packs cost 10% of what they do now, I doubt they'd sell more than 2-3 times as many DLC packs as they are now. And how crowded is the train simulation market to drive prices down?

#58 mrbomb

mrbomb

A Tasty Classic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

I usually associate model trains with older, creepy men with mustaches.
With that being said, in for 4 for me and my older men pals.
Posted Image

#59 JakeNome

JakeNome

Shady Panda Peddler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:09 PM

I wish steam showed us some sort of graph for each game to tell you how many people bought them.
WTS Steam Games Check my list!

Posted Image

#60 Ilikecoldbeverages

Ilikecoldbeverages

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

"$200!? What a rip! Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go spend ANOTHER hundred bucks to add a bunch of games to my backlog that I'll never play."

-Every single CAG on this thread