Williams Pinball Hall of Fame Collection only $19.99 used $17.99 for 360

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#31 nasum

nasum

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:59 PM

Seriously dude? I mean, I have some pet peeves too but this is a bit over the top.

Dead serious, it's like nuts in a vice every time I hear/read it...
3DS Buddy Code 2767-0055-5245 send a pm with your code if you add and I will return the favor
XBL - Nasum2

#32 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:06 PM

Dead serious, it's like nuts in a vice every time I hear/read it...

That's a shame. I really like pinball tables.

#33 axlrose4183

axlrose4183

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:11 PM

scored this for $10 at gamestop about a year ago, def worth even at $20, will never get rid of this game.

axlrose4183.png

#34 sadboy

sadboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

Hah the only reason this is getting so much attention is because people (like me) are popping in to say how much we love the game!

It's 'cause once upon a time, we would've been all abouts being cheap ass pinball players. Ida hoard that shite, el hoardo-style. Just kidding.

#35 Ilikecoldbeverages

Ilikecoldbeverages

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:32 PM

good god I hate the vernacular of "table" when referring to a pinball machine. The real designers never used that term, it's always been machine or pin or pinball. None of this table BS!

Do you really hate it? Or are you just looking for an opening to wax knowledge on pinball?

Personally I prefer "table", and I'm pretty sure Tommy would as well.

#36 scottman

scottman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

PS3 and wii versions seem to be readily available for ~$15. Is the 360 version any different than the ps3 version to deserve this attention?

I got the wii version a while back, and while it is good as far as pinball games go, I think it will only appeal to specific types of gamers who like pinball.

#37 sadboy

sadboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

PS3 and wii versions seem to be readily available for ~$15. Is the 360 version any different than the ps3 version to deserve this attention?

I got the wii version a while back, and while it is good as far as pinball games go, I think it will only appeal to specific types of gamers who like pinball.

Based on my impression, it's a combination of the game being sold elsewhere at a higher price and people raving about it being the best or one of the best versions? Just kidding.

#38 Hardware

Hardware

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:38 PM

BTW: The Wii version doesn't have Medieval Madness, Tales of the Arabian Nights or No Good Gofers. 2 of those 3 tables are the best out of the whole collection.

#39 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:56 PM

BTW: The Wii version doesn't have Medieval Madness, Tales of the Arabian Nights or No Good Gofers. 2 of those 3 tables are the best out of the whole collection.

I played the Wii version on a friend's system, and it was terrible. Ugly low-res textures, poor detail, just not even remotely close to the XBox or PS3 versions.

#40 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

I've bought this game 3 times for myself, once on PSP, once on Wii, and once on 360.

I've bought it as a gift for 3 friends too. So I'm a little biased.

The PS3 version has some minor glitches like the ball falling off the table I've found. It's very rare but it happens.

The big reason why the 360 version is so desirable is because of the achievements. On PS3 the trophies are basically "Beat the computer's pre-set high scores" (They're very easy and lazy), while the 360s are much better in that you get an achievement for every set of in game goals that all other versions have.

I played the Wii version on a friend's system, and it was terrible. Ugly low-res textures, poor detail, just not even remotely close to the XBox or PS3 versions.

The Wii version is decent. The lack of the 3 newest tables is what kills it. Still worth it for the controls. You shake the controllers like you would nudge the tables.
Posted Image

#41 mkelehan

mkelehan

Xbox Live Arcade Fiend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

Medieval Madness alone is worth $40.

#42 waxHead

waxHead

Resident Vinyl Junkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:20 PM

Medieval Madness alone is worth $40.

Goddamn right it is! :bouncy:

#43 cajunmole

cajunmole

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

lol Waxhead! :rofl:

#44 DrUnkAgAIn

DrUnkAgAIn

I like money.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:35 PM

I picked up an $8.99 Gamestop copy that someone spilled Coke on awhile back. Glad I did given these prices.

#45 simmias

simmias

Likely to be eaten by a grue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:09 AM

The big reason why the 360 version is so desirable is because of the achievements. On PS3 the trophies are basically "Beat the computer's pre-set high scores" (They're very easy and lazy), while the 360s are much better in that you get an achievement for every set of in game goals that all other versions have.

The PS3 version doesn't even have a platinum trophy. I'm not sure why they went that direction with that version.

I know a lot of people hate achievements and trophies, but this is the kind of game that the achievement/trophy system was made for. A 1000/1000 is truly satisfying for this game.

#46 WilliamG

WilliamG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:24 AM

I say screw this game and get Pinball FX2 on XBLA. WAAAAY better.

#47 sadboy

sadboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:42 AM

It's the WilliamG Collection!

#48 mkelehan

mkelehan

Xbox Live Arcade Fiend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:14 AM

Couldn't disagree more. Have you played this on the 360?

#49 Donnums

Donnums

Great Scott!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:24 AM

I picked this up for about $2 after I traded in a free game Microsoft gave me. I'd have bought it either way - I played this on the Wii and was excited to see it was set to come out on Live Arcade(but obviously ended up on disc). If you love pinball, you HAVE to get this collection. The tables are well represented and the physics feel great!

Pinball FX2 is great too - I got it for the Marvel and Street Fighter tables, and it's also worth it. I plan to buy the rest at some point.

#50 KneeKnee

KneeKnee

Trophy Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:13 AM

Have this game on PS3. It is goddamned fantastic. If you even like pinball only a little bit, go get it.

KneeKnee.png

#51 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:21 AM

Um, no, you're sadly mistaken. These are primo classic pinball games, lovingly recreated for the home console . . . no comparison at all.

#52 bsmiff

bsmiff

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:42 AM

Gotta be trolling... FX2 is great but c'mon.

#53 reapersaurus

reapersaurus

Family Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:03 AM

Pinball FX2 is a shadow of this game.
Not even close -

This game is the best pinball simulation ever made (I would put it up against the glitchy/tricky-as-hell PinMAME).
my Game Guides Trade list here - Also looking for Lips (360) w/microphones (just 1 wireless mic would do) :)

#54 raiser

raiser

CAG-Zombie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:14 AM

You are entitled to your opinion.
But FX does not replicate real life tables, so there really isn't a comparison.
Besides, pretty much everyone in this thread already owns both. Duh!
Just like most of us own more than one console.

I enjoy both Pinball FX/2 and PHOF:Williams immensely and own both on 360.

#55 Hardware

Hardware

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:34 PM

When Williams HOF first came out I bought it new on PS3 and 360 to try and support the pinball scene. Originally Monster Bash (which was replaced by No Good Gofers) was supposed to be included in this collection, but the story is that they couldn't solidify the rights in time. I was hoping Monster bash would be part of future DLC, but at this point I think it's safe to say they won't be making any DLC. Definitely a bummer.

#56 chimpmeister

chimpmeister

Hates gimmicks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:12 PM

When Williams HOF first came out I bought it new on PS3 and 360 to try and support the pinball scene. Originally Monster Bash (which was replaced by No Good Gofers) was supposed to be included in this collection, but the story is that they couldn't solidify the rights in time. I was hoping Monster bash would be part of future DLC, but at this point I think it's safe to say they won't be making any DLC. Definitely a bummer.

There are a ton of other pinball games I'd love to see ported over, like Cheetah, Big Game, Jurassic Park, Twilight Zone, etc. but it looks like there aren't going to be any more in the future (mostly I guess for licensing reasons). Really a shame, because in a way having them ported over preserves the look and feel of these games for future players. I know they aren't the same as playing the real thing, but most people can't buy $1500 pins and even if they could afford them, don't have the space or the resources to haul them around.

#57 Simmeltron

Simmeltron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

Just picked up Williams HOF for my PS3 last night at Hastings for $14.99! SOOO excited to play it after work today! Too bad about the lame Trophy issue, but I am now anti Microsuck as they refused to fix my 360 when it WAS still under warranty. Too bad for them I guess!

#58 Simmeltron

Simmeltron

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:54 PM

Here's hoping for Williams HOF2!!! Williams Hall of Fame Revenge?? :bouncy:

#59 jthieme

jthieme

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:34 PM

I bought that game, when it first came out, to support
the devs.

They're suppose to release the Gottlieb collection,
as an XBLA release. I haven't seen any news on
that, in around a month. I'm bothered by that.

I'd like to see them team up with the Pinball FX
people, and release the games on a single
platform, instead of having to have multiple
programs for pinball.

Personally I prefer the way it was done with the Williams collection, i.e. a retail disc collection rather than having to buy the tables ala carte as dlc. I'm still hoping Pinball FX gets a retaildisc release with all the tables bundled together.

#60 Hardware

Hardware

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

There are a ton of other pinball games I'd love to see ported over, like Cheetah, Big Game, Jurassic Park, Twilight Zone, etc. but it looks like there aren't going to be any more in the future (mostly I guess for licensing reasons). Really a shame, because in a way having them ported over preserves the look and feel of these games for future players. I know they aren't the same as playing the real thing, but most people can't buy $1500 pins and even if they could afford them, don't have the space or the resources to haul them around.

I know what you mean. I own TZ and love it, but would enjoy a video version as well. That would have to be called Bally Pinball Hall of Fame though. : ) Maybe one day we will get a good Bally collection.