are you happy with your current job? or current performance to obtain your desird job

giantqtipz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
im a junior now.. i have one more year left to go. im a finance major, but i just realized i have no interest in finance and investments. most of my internships are in business media, film companies, media companies etc. actually im interning at viacom now... and im hoping to get a job there lol.

i AM worried though, considering that im a finance major and im going into business media; im afraid i wont be able to move up the chain in the company because of education or so.. im not sure how it works; but i would say that im pretty content with my performance. i hope i can secure a job by this summer though.. that would be really nice.

[quote name='giantqtipz']im a junior now.. i have one more year left to go. im a finance major, but i just realized i have no interest in finance and investments. most of my internships are in business media, film companies, media companies etc. actually im interning at viacom now... and im hoping to get a job there lol.

i AM worried though, considering that im a finance major and im going into business media; im afraid i wont be able to move up the chain in the company because of education or so.. im not sure how it works; but i would say that im pretty content with my performance. i hope i can secure a job by this summer though.. that would be really nice.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like something I'd be interested in.

I'd say I'm happy. I'm not having coke and hooker parties every night like seanr is with all his "clients", but my work is easy, the people aren't assholes to deal with, and the pay is decent. I'm also not completely wasting my education.

I just wish the drive was a little shorter.

No x1000000000000000000000000000000.

My job pays well. My job is pretty easy. My job is extremely laid back, can pretty much wear whatever I want to work, etc. My job is also pretty secure where as long as you come to work on time, you are fine (you cannot be fired for mediocre performance). I also work for a great company doing working with stuff people may be impressed with.

So some may wonder what's the problem? It's because the job utilizes a very small portion of my education (requires just an AA degree, I have a BS from one of the most difficult engineering related majors), some co-workers can really bug me at times, and it's just a job I'm not passionate about. That is why I'm trying to either find another job (which utilizes my degree more) or go back to college getting my Master's in EE or something. I might even take a big paycut, re-locate to a city I may not want to, work a temp job, etc. just to eventually change my situation for the better. I hope I get things straight so I'm no longer a failure.

Love my job, love the company I work for and the only thing that would be better would be running a guitar shop

Like OP I have an "education" in finance but really do more analytics and such that make things more interesting than double entry accounting 101 type shit.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']No x1000000000000000000000000000000.

My job pays well. My job is pretty easy. My job is extremely laid back, can pretty much wear whatever I want to work, etc. My job is also pretty secure where as long as you come to work on time, you are fine (you cannot be fired for mediocre performance). I also work for a great company doing working with stuff people may be impressed with.

So some may wonder what's the problem? It's because the job utilizes a very small portion of my education (requires just an AA degree, I have a BS from one of the most difficult engineering related majors), some co-workers can really bug me at times, and it's just a job I'm not passionate about. That is why I'm trying to either find another job (which utilizes my degree more) or go back to college getting my Master's in EE or something. I might even take a big paycut, re-locate to a city I may not want to, work a temp job, etc. just to eventually change my situation for the better. I hope I get things straight so I'm no longer a failure.[/QUOTE]

I'll take your job. You've got it made. I bet you have a gub'ment job. I tried to get into the gub'ment for years to no avail.

Everybody I know who's worked/works for the gub'ment has it made. They get assloads of days off, everybody they work around is educated and aren't assholes generally, and they never have problems with money.

Examples: One of my friends does tax collections for the state is the only person I know that actually has money to do things. Another person I know from another forum worked for the gub'ment had money to burn and bought every new release game that came out every week. Then there's my Dad who has a nice pension, owns 2 lake properties and lives comfortably.

My job is "easy" but it pays well below the market average and the company I work for is utterly clueless in how to improve morale. We've also relocated to the south side of Seattle, adding roughly 90-minutes of commuting (round trip) daily for me. I can't wait to find something else.

For the OP worrying about his education path holding him back once he gets in at a company: you'll quickly find your education doesn't determine where you go in the company, it's how much ass you're willing to kiss. Horribly unqualified people will be in higher positions or other departments simply because they're buddies with the higher-ups and follow them around like a dog does its owner. It shouldn't be that way, but more often than not it is.

Welcome to the workforce.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']No x1000000000000000000000000000000.

So some may wonder what's the problem? It's because the job utilizes a very small portion of my education (requires just an AA degree, I have a BS from one of the most difficult engineering related majors), some co-workers can really bug me at times, and it's just a job I'm not passionate about. That is why I'm trying to either find another job (which utilizes my degree more) or go back to college getting my Master's in EE or something. I might even take a big paycut, re-locate to a city I may not want to, work a temp job, etc. just to eventually change my situation for the better. I hope I get things straight so I'm no longer a failure.[/QUOTE]

The bad news is that it is pretty standard to feel unchallenged by your work if you're worth even half a damn nowadays. If you're happy with all the intangibles of a job that you stated at the beginning of your post, you're far ahead of most people. We've talked here and there in the past about your work experience and the path that brought you to where you are, and I'm not that far ahead of you in my career (time wise) but my advice would be to talk to your superior about a more challenging position in the company (if one exists) before considering moving on and seeing what they have to say. I know you put in massive hours so I'd see what they have to say and if they could offer some kind of plan or goal for you to work towards.

Bottom line is that you should be somewhat satisfied with your work though because when you're not, it tends to permeate into the rest of your life. I've also lost the motivation to stay where I am, but I'm in the process of looking (had an interview just two days ago at a great company I'm hoping to land at). For me, I'm 100% sure I'm out of options at the company I'm with.

after this winter i can offical say there is a 90% chance im done with the paper next winter

it used to be a fun and easy job but how they treat the workers down there is just crap anymore... been working there for 14 years and someone can come off the street today and get the same job for the same pay... They dont give a rats ass when you wreck the car (they only care the paper is out and done)

it was fun job when gas was 2 or even 2.50 per gallon.... it take 6 gallons to drive each day

@
2.00 = 12.00 out of pocket a day
2.50 = 15.00 out of pocket a day
3.00 = 18.00 out of pocket per day
4.00 = 24.00 out of pocket per day

and THEY DONT GIVE MORE CASH WHEN GAS GOES UP ..

so when gas was 2 bucks working 26 days a month 12x26 == 312 out of pocket per month
when gas is 4 bucks its now 624 bucks per month

so if you make 1200 a month

2 bucks per gallon Leaves you will 888 /26 44.30 per day profit
4 bucks per gallon leaves you with 576 22.15 per day profit

sorry no longer worth it
They dont give a rats ass if the paper is delayed 3 hours yet the paper still needs to be out there by 530

Come april im going to try to grab as many routes as i can get my hands on and then come oct doing to try to drop all the way down to a basic route

kind of sad in a way to see 14 years of a job just get wasted like that

[quote name='slidecage']after this winter i can offical say there is a 90% chance im done with the paper next winter

it used to be a fun and easy job but how they treat the workers down there is just crap anymore... been working there for 14 years and [/QUOTE]

... wait... you're old enough to have worked somewhere for 14 years? I always had you figured for mid teens in age...

I just recently relocated and started a new job. So far so good - challenging and decent pay. It is going to take a while for me to get a handle on the whole process, but I'm confident I will pick it up.

It is also a giant Japanese Multi-National Corp. I'm not sure if I will be there forever (way to soon to know), but it seems like a good place to get things moving.

well after reading all the replies.. i have a question for you guys. now you guys are here on CAG. so i assume you guys love video games. have you guys ever considered working in the industry? perhaps not to make games, but you know, just work in a department or something.

my sisters friend is the CFO of nintendo. and another one of her friend works for a financial advisory firm that specializes in many things especially video games... and they get freebies almost all the time (which im jealous of). but yeah thats something i'd like to do as well apart from the media business. how about you guys?

[quote name='giantqtipz']well after reading all the replies.. i have a question for you guys. now you guys are here on CAG. so i assume you guys love video games. have you guys ever considered working in the industry? perhaps not to make games, but you know, just work in a department or something.

my sisters friend is the CFO of nintendo. and another one of her friend works for a financial advisory firm that specializes in many things especially video games... and they get freebies almost all the time (which im jealous of). but yeah thats something i'd like to do as well apart from the media business. how about you guys?[/QUOTE]

I work in the industry now. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

[quote name='giantqtipz']well after reading all the replies.. i have a question for you guys. now you guys are here on CAG. so i assume you guys love video games. have you guys ever considered working in the industry? perhaps not to make games, but you know, just work in a department or something.

my sisters friend is the CFO of nintendo. and another one of her friend works for a financial advisory firm that specializes in many things especially video games... and they get freebies almost all the time (which im jealous of). but yeah thats something i'd like to do as well apart from the media business. how about you guys?[/QUOTE]I'm sort of trying to get a job at my favorite video game company.

my sisters friend is the CFO of nintendo. and another one of her friend works for a financial advisory firm that specializes in many things especially video games... and they get freebies almost all the time (which im jealous of). but yeah thats something i'd like to do as well apart from the media business. how about you guys?[/QUOTE]

I'd love to work for a company I believe in even as an Accountant (my major) but I don't see too much long term stability in the industry unless you're with one of the big dogs.

Nope, I'm a nurse working at an assisted living.

We have 60 residents and only 2 caregivers and 1 nurse per shift running the show. Plus 80% of them are in wheelchairs and are unable to transfer themselves to a recliner or a bed.

The administrators want us to have better time-management skills, but there's just not enough staff.

[quote name='2DMention']I'll take your job. You've got it made. I bet you have a gub'ment job. I tried to get into the gub'ment for years to no avail.

Everybody I know who's worked/works for the gub'ment has it made. They get assloads of days off, everybody they work around is educated and aren't assholes generally, and they never have problems with money.

Examples: One of my friends does tax collections for the state is the only person I know that actually has money to do things. Another person I know from another forum worked for the gub'ment had money to burn and bought every new release game that came out every week. Then there's my Dad who has a nice pension, owns 2 lake properties and lives comfortably.[/QUOTE]

As a "gub'ment" employee I can agree with pretty much every thing you said, but it's generally the most unsatisfying job one could have. The work ethic from the top to bottom is pretty pathetic....

[quote name='SLeeK719']As a "gub'ment" employee I can agree with pretty much every thing you said, but it's generally the most unsatisfying job one could have. The work ethic from the top to bottom is pretty pathetic....[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the perfect job if you're not intent on being a career climber. There's plenty of security, although if the Republicians have their way they'd cut shitloads of positions and replace them with higher paid contractors, farming everything out, thinking they'd save money when they won't (or getting kickbacks from their friends in the private sector).

I would love to, but two problems:

1.) Location. Unless you live in San Fran or Redmond, WA, you're SOL.

2.) Doesn't everybody start out as a programmer or tester? Gaming sites and magazines make it sound like you have to be a programmer or tester to work at a video game co. and that's the only jobs they have.

I could probably work as an accounting clerk or admin. assistant, but that's about it. And I bet it's impossible to get those kind of jobs. I wouldn't want to work for an evil empire like EA or Activision or a company that makes mobile games or Barbie's Ass adventures. But anything to get the foot in the door, I guess. Ideally, I'd work at a small place like XSeed or Atlus or NIS or Aksys.

[quote name='2DMention']Sounds like the perfect job if you're not intent on being a career climber. There's plenty of security, although if the Republicians have their way they'd cut shitloads of positions and replace them with higher paid contractors, farming everything out, thinking they'd save money when they won't (or getting kickbacks from their friends in the private sector).

2.) Doesn't everybody start out as a programmer or tester? Gaming sites and magazines make it sound like you have to be a programmer or tester to work at a video game co. and that's the only jobs they have.

I could probably work as an accounting clerk or admin. assistant, but that's about it. And I bet it's impossible to get those kind of jobs. I wouldn't want to work for an evil empire like EA or Activision or a company that makes mobile games or Barbie's Ass adventures. But anything to get the foot in the door, I guess. Ideally, I'd work at a small place like XSeed or Atlus or NIS or Aksys.[/QUOTE]

Govt's already doing so. I work for a contractor and a majority of the people where I work are contractor's.

I currently work as a cart attendant down at Target. Also known as "The Target Bitch". Working minimum wage is bad enough, but on days it's busy, you're expected to be able to do everything but can't because you're stuck on the cash register due to them needing backup. On a slow day though, I don't mind it at all, but that's about it. Any kind of precipitation sucks because you have to dry off the carts and people still complain about anything and everything.

To make matters worse, I might be moving in August, so it feels like I'm trapped here until at least then. Which sucks for two reasons. Working outside for a portion of the day, I can't stand the summer heat (always have been a cold weather person), plus Black Friday doing carts suck. I got lucky last year when I sprained my ankle in the first hour, but can't count on that again.

And to top it all off, I hate job hunting in general. Probably as I never have success and every job out there sucks.

I work at GameStop for a year now and the job's fun rating just plummeted down next to nothing.
Just last year, I was getting 30 - 40 hours each week even though i am a game advisor because the store was in such a mess (staff wise) that they didn't hire anybody else. I was fortunate to be working that many hours as a GA because GAs usually only get like 10 - 15 a week maybe less.

Then when the new year came along, another store got shut down because GameStop is feeling that store is not doing so well. Then the staff got transferred over to mine and now i am getting maybe 10 hours tops. I hate the other store's staff because they were all management and they get the hours plus the pay. They even changed the whole store around like it is their own store! I just can't stand it anymore.

I was due for a promotion but the District Manager was being a dick so i never got promoted. Now i just feel like shit everytime i go to work and just do what i have to to get by the day.

I would so go to best buy, i applied already but each time they just decline it like i did something wrong.

[quote name='QiG']The bad news is that it is pretty standard to feel unchallenged by your work if you're worth even half a damn nowadays. If you're happy with all the intangibles of a job that you stated at the beginning of your post, you're far ahead of most people.[/QUOTE]

I hope that's not true....

I do not like my job career choice. It is way too stressful and I'm "on call" 24/7. I'm in the office between 10-12 hours a day on average although staying until midnight or later is a semi-regular occurrence as are weekends. I also generally work from home 1 or 2 nights a week after everyone has gone to sleep. There are minimum billable hours I have to meet every year which means I can't really take vacation either (even though the policy is "take as much as you want as long as you meet your hours"). I am sort of well-compensated for it (although I'm underpaid when compared to my peers in the same area) so I really can't complain - I mean it is either this or a lower quality of living (which in all likelihood would probably be OK). I don't know - it is depressing to think about.

[quote name='QiG']The bad news is that it is pretty standard to feel unchallenged by your work if you're worth even half a damn nowadays. [/QUOTE]

At least this isn't true for me. Every day is a challenge - everyone around me seems to be smarter than I am and more driven to succeed (I have a different definition of "success" than most everyone I work with) and almost every project/issue/task I encounter is something I've never seen before.

[quote name='elessar123']I hope that's not true....[/QUOTE]
No, it is. I'm completely unchallenged in my work and am mind numbingly bored. On top of that I swear the people running this department are mentally retarded, not to mention they'd rather lie to us rather than admit they don't know wtf they're doing.

[quote name='2DMention']

I could probably work as an accounting clerk or admin. assistant, but that's about it. And I bet it's impossible to get those kind of jobs. I wouldn't want to work for an evil empire like EA or Activision or a company that makes mobile games or Barbie's Ass adventures. But anything to get the foot in the door, I guess. Ideally, I'd work at a small place like XSeed or Atlus or NIS or Aksys.[/QUOTE]

1. Wut? There are game development studios all over the United States.
2. Wut? No, not everyone starts out as a programmer or tester. You don't just find someone and say "okay, you're going to be a programmer today." Game companies have all kinds of jobs for various positions. Have you ever looked at the credits for a single title? Take all those people and then add in accountants, HR people, etc etc.

[quote name='Clak']No, it is. I'm completely unchallenged in my work and am mind numbingly bored. On top of that I swear the people running this department are mentally retarded, not to mention they'd rather lie to us rather than admit they don't know wtf they're doing.[/QUOTE]

Maybe in some fields...

It can happen to anyone in any field. There are plenty of people in different fields which I'm sure feel under appreciated or under utilized.

I both love and loathe my job.

My position is titled Technology and Teleconferencing Support Specialist. Basically, it's institutional computing with a rather substantial helping of A/V technology.

The work is excellent... as is the pay. However, the department I work in is extremely laid back. Everyone in my division takes a lackadaisical approach to work. When I came on board, there were at least a dozen projects that had been yet to be started. These projects were introduced approximately two years prior to my start date. That's two years of people sitting on their asses, avoiding work like the plague.

I'm a proactive individual. I don't allow work to pile up... nor do I avoid difficult tasks. This creates a bit of a conflict with my co-workers. They would rather move at a slow pace (or not at all), than take some initiative and complete necessary assignments. I believe my aggressive approach to work threatens them... and therefore, has created some waves.

Regardless, the people who matter most have been quite impressed with the ideas and motivation that I have implemented... and that is what's most important to me.

I sort of copied this from a similar discussion back in the "men over 30" thread:

I think I've resigned myself to doing this laboratory job for the rest of my life. I focused myself for college too late and now that I've got two kids I can't really go back and choose a more 'open' degree.

I mean, I could do this for the rest of my life. It's stable, secure and has market adjustments for wages every few years. It's just that I feel like I've already 'mastered' it. There isnt much of a challenge or thrill to it anymore.

But it provides for the family so I just go there and turn off part of my mind for 8 hours. Do the work, ignore the annoying co workers and come home to games and family.

There isn't much challenge to it anymore. Once you're trained in it and have figured out the most efficent way to due things, that's it. I've been doing this for 6-7 years now.

What I can't get over is there are people who have been there doing the same thing for 30-40 years who still act like this is new to them, and they havent seen this before.

[quote name='SLeeK719']Govt's already doing so. I work for a contractor and a majority of the people where I work are contractor's.[/QUOTE]I work for a similar company, but we only have a few contractors at my work. I don't want to say too much about my job, but what I can say is that everyone is definitely NOT treated equally. You probably would know what I meant (if I discussed it all) because I do live near the Glen Burnie, MD area (I go there every 2 weeks or so, but I'm in AA county daily).

Not happy at all. The hours, if I actually get any, are completely random and the pay is pathetic.

My schedule for next week:
Sunday - off
Monday - off
Tuesday - off
Wednesday - off
Thursday - 5:30pm to 9:30pm (closing shift + truck night = VERY late night)
Friday - 10:30am to 3pm (near-opening shift the day after THIS ^)
Saturday - off

My availability? Completely open every day except Sunday.
Yeah, I'm done with this nonsense.

Thank GOD I have an interview for a full-time job next Tuesday.....

[quote name='HotShotX']Absolutely. I am a professional aerospace engineer working in spaceflight, and loving it.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]I hate you right now.:bomb: I'm have the degree but not even working a Professional Engineering position right now. I so badly want to be there, which is why I will either get my Master's degree, or take a job wherever in the country I have to in order to be there.

As many of the people here probably know, I fucking love my career. Its one of the hardest fields to be successfully in and I am doing a pretty good job at it. I love my boss because my boss is I. I set my own hours although I work harder longer than 90% of the population.

EDIT: I love my career so much that it has a very polarizing effect on people around me. I dont fit into the come home, drink a 6 pack and bitch about your job. Plus I break out goings with my friends to work all the time because I would much rather work than go to a movie or a concert or watch the game.

Its such a different outlook on life when you are doing the thing you love to do every day and I almost feel sorry for people who dont have it.

[quote name='giantqtipz']im a junior now.. i have one more year left to go. im a finance major, but i just realized i have no interest in finance and investments. most of my internships are in business media, film companies, media companies etc. actually im interning at viacom now... and im hoping to get a job there lol.

i AM worried though, considering that im a finance major and im going into business media; im afraid i wont be able to move up the chain in the company because of education or so.. im not sure how it works; but i would say that im pretty content with my performance. i hope i can secure a job by this summer though.. that would be really nice.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much here is the scoop. Just make sure to obtain a college degree, even if you get hired prior to finishing college (from an internship). Once you have it, it should get you in the door at entry level (from college) in any field. Make sure to list your internships in your resume to show which direction you are looking in. When I first started a "real job", I started working for an IT company with my MIS degree along with people that had Music Thelogy, English, etc for majors so don't feel you can't get into the field you want with your degree.

Moving up in a company is based on a few factors: 1) who you know, 2) your work ethic i.e. hard work, 3) you don't pass up opportunities, and 4) future education beyond college degree i.e. MBA, Doctorate, certifications, licenses, etc (it is better to start this after some years of work force experience).

well after reading all the replies.. i have a question for you guys. now you guys are here on CAG. so i assume you guys love video games. have you guys ever considered working in the industry? perhaps not to make games, but you know, just work in a department or something.

my sisters friend is the CFO of nintendo. and another one of her friend works for a financial advisory firm that specializes in many things especially video games... and they get freebies almost all the time (which im jealous of). but yeah thats something i'd like to do as well apart from the media business. how about you guys?

Personally, I have at one time. Living in Orlando (where EA does alot of the sports titles at), I heard they work crazy hours and have tons of stress; that was enough for me to write it off. I like my career path (healthcare IT). I get to essentially help patients to a degree through technology, which gives me a sense of satisfaction. I work my 40 hours non-stressed. Overtime/on-call is very little. Lastly, the best part is I get paid pretty well for only being out of school for such a short amount of time (5+ years).

[quote name='Clak']It can happen to anyone in any field. There are plenty of people in different fields which I'm sure feel under appreciated or under utilized. [/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. It requires a business to actually put people in managing roles who can actually MANAGE people. I have seen plenty of managers who don't know the strengths and weaknesses of their employees, let alone what the hell they are even doing.

[quote name='Soodmeg']As many of the people here probably know, I fucking love my career..[/QUOTE]

I've missed any previous descriptions, can you give some details.

I'm a self-employed web developer and 99% of the time I love it. I have a few rotating clients who regularly need work and it's quite common to get a phone call from a friend of theirs who needs a one-off job.

I'm currently working partially on-site for a luxury transportation service. It's pretty swank.

One thing that sucked was all of the coming up to speed I had to do when I decided to go freelance. I didn't know I needed a sales tax id, a business license, etc. I also had no idea that I had to pay extra taxes (to the tune of 15.3% on top of income taxes).

I graduated with a SysAdmin degree, but I found a decent programming job after college. In July I'll have been freelancing for a year. My clients treat me very well.

I work in TV/Film and Broadcast Production as a Camera Op, ENG Sound Op and Stage Hand. I am completely freelance so I am my own boss I just have clients. I have worked for MTV, BET, VH1, NBC, ESPN, CMT, ect ect. I did Sound for Flavor of Love, Big Brother, MTV's Made, I have built stages and concerts all of Michigan and NC, I have shoot movies and tv shows, Hell this past summer I set up many of the stages and video President Obama used for speeches. (Never was in the same room as him SS made sure we were all in trucks under lock down)

For example I did on location sound for this episode of Conspiracy Theory with Jessa the Body Ventura, I even got my name in the credits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBEPNnwLqOk
Its a ridiculously hard field to be successful in and many people dont have the stones to work hard enough to be good at it in a way that earns actual money. Most of the stuff I do is entertainment stuff which means nothing in the long run (although I have been trying for YEARS to get into Discovery Channel or NatGeo and shoot more compelling stuff) but its both fun and extremely challenging.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I work for a similar company, but we only have a few contractors at my work. I don't want to say too much about my job, but what I can say is that everyone is definitely NOT treated equally. You probably would know what I meant (if I discussed it all) because I do live near the Glen Burnie, MD area (I go there every 2 weeks or so, but I'm in AA county daily).[/QUOTE]

We very well could work for the same........establishment.

No. I'm not happy in the least. Thing is when I was younger I told a LOT of employers to go fuck themselves, plus I was a troublemaker who got into sufficient enough trouble that some of it still haunts me on job applications to this day.

So those two things combined together with a shitty job market here in my area means I usually end up taking temp service jobs for however long they're available and usually finding myself not finding anything for months and months on end.:cry:

Unfortunately, I also wasted my sole chance to go back to school on the public dime(offer through the state job center, one shot education deal) on something I didn't fully research and only AFTER getting the education did I realize that getting into the field I chose was nigh impossible without a certification and/or experience.

But no one will give you the job to get the experience and the certification test runs about $100 or so, which I cannot really afford to put out at this time.

I've actually taken to applying at places like Rite Aid and even Gamestop since I've had no luck otherwise.:cry:

I work in IT as a systems tech for a health care company. I get to work on lots of different things and there's plenty of overtime. Pay is lower then the average standard, but the benefits aren't too shabby. Bad news I'm not going to be there forever I'd like to write for a living and use my BA's in English/History, and have a closer commute 120 miles a day gets a little old.

bread's done
Back