Fighting Winter Depression... Sunlamp thoughts and suggestions?

the_grimace

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
I've suffered from winter depression pretty severely since I was 17. My mood and energy levels would slowly decrease from October through December, until they would hit all time lows from January through March. I truly hate the cold winters with every ounce of my being, since they make me so miserable.

I was spared last winter by moving to Arizona, and life was great. (seriously, my top priority with my career is to find one in a warm state once I get enough experience) but I'm back in chilly Illinois and my winter depression is at an all time low. I haven't been a sad or depressed as previous years due to things going pretty well in my life, but regardless my energy levels, mood, and focus is at it's all time low that it usually hits it every weekend. I get on a wacky sleep schedule, constantly feel tired, have trouble focusing at work, and generally just want to stay home and not do much else....

Many have suggested to me about trying a sunlamp and while I knew that the lack of sun was the root of my problems, I scoffed at what a lamp could do. Now, having the hope that something could possibly make me feel better during the winter, I am seriously considering buying one.

Reviews on Amazon and other online stores surprised me too, with buyers raving at how it improves mood, energy, and focus in as little as 2 days using the light.

I was wondering if there was any other CAGs suffering from winter depression, how you coped, and any treatments or therapies that you tried that have helped your mood and energy. Also, let me know if any of you guys used any sunlamps, and what you think about them and what models you would suggest. I'm sort of considering waiting this winter out since its only a couple more months till spring, but by gum it, I would die to feel happy and full of energy again a little earlier then usual. ;)

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions!

P.S. two models I'm looking at. Both have excellent reviews, but many have mixed opinions on the Ionizer on the first model, but the plus side is you don't need to use it

The second unit is smaller and seems to work a little better, but many say it is way too bright. The small size makes it ideal for bringing to work or what not though. :)

http://www.amazon.com/NatureBright-...Y7FY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297358272&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-goLIT...5XL8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1297358272&sr=8-4

I have nothing useful to add, but I thought I'd just comment on how I am aware of seasonal affective disorder, but I didn't know light therapy is a treatment for it. I'd be interested to know if it helps you.

I get a little down in the winter like I think many (most?) people do, but I don't think it's severe enough for me that I'd need treatment. However, I have found recently that exercise can be very helpful. If you aren't exercising regularly, you should try that as well and see if it helps.

[quote name='Cry Havoc'] However, I have found recently that exercise can be very helpful. If you aren't exercising regularly, you should try that as well and see if it helps.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%.. exercising results in higher energy levels (How's that for reverse psychology)

I actually exercise heavily all year, but I always decrease my exercising during winter due to low energy and lack of motivation. I would love to work out more, but it's extremely difficult when you feel very tired all the time. That is why I am considering giving the sun lamp a try.

bread's done
Back