Post Office Insurance, is this normal?

Paco

CAGiversary!
I sold a Neo Geo Gold System box for 90 dollars. I package it carefully and it gets damaged on the way over there.

I file a claim and the buyer files his part. Now i get a call back and the post office told him if the claim is accepted, they have to take the entire package and then destroy it.

The buyer wants reimbursement over the damaged styrafoam, but he doesn't want to give up the box.

Is what the post office procedure in this entire thing normal?

I don't know what their policy is, but that sounds about right.
If they pay you for it, then they definitely won't give it back to you, and it's probably cheaper to trash it than it is to sell it.

[quote name='ROB64']I don't know what their policy is, but that sounds about right.
If they pay you for it, then they definitely won't give it back to you, and it's probably cheaper to trash it than it is to sell it.[/QUOTE]

So their policy is to destroy the entire thing if only some of it is damaged despite a good amount of it still being valued?

That kinda sucks. Dunno if the buyer would go for that either.

next time you send something of value in the mail be sure to get insurance for what the item is worth not what youre paying for it. itll cost you more but in this situation youd have been better compensated.

I used to be a postal clerk. That is standard procedure for an insurance claim. They have no way to determine the cost of damage to any given part and will take the entire item, packaging and all to avoid fraud. They may also demand to see the shipping packaging to prove the damage was their fault as well so remind him to keep that.

Though for $90 back when I still worked there, it could be a local Postmaster decision. Now I think they send everything to the main insurance office which horribly delays things. Don't expect to see your refund for a while. Things also get a bit dicey when they are "collectibles" as well.

I'd tell him it's all or nothing. He has to give it up or he gets no refund.

[quote name='crowbb']I used to be a postal clerk. That is standard procedure for an insurance claim. They have no way to determine the cost of damage to any given part and will take the entire item, packaging and all to avoid fraud. They may also demand to see the shipping packaging to prove the damage was their fault as well so remind him to keep that.

Though for $90 back when I still worked there, it could be a local Postmaster decision. Now I think they send everything to the main insurance office which horribly delays things. Don't expect to see your refund for a while. Things also get a bit dicey when they are "collectibles" as well.

I'd tell him it's all or nothing. He has to give it up or he gets no refund.[/QUOTE]

That's what I wanted to hear. Thank you, but the thing is the guy wants to keep the box since the box itself isn't damaged, it's the styrafoam in the box that got damaged.

I sent an invoice showing what the item went for on ebay, along with the paypal shipping receipt which shows how much it was insured for and all that other fun stuff.

The thing is the guy does not want to give up the box because the box itself is still alright. And the likelyhood of finding another Neo Geo Box complete is very low.

so the neo geo works, the box appears to be ok, but the styrofoam inside took a lump and the guy wants his $90 bucks back?

I think there's something fishy in that...

You can't keep it and get the money. However, the USPS have to destroy it because it seems they never thought that far ahead. I would say to just give him a partial refund on the broken stryofoam since the actual box is fine and that's what on the outside.

[quote name='nasum']so the neo geo works, the box appears to be ok, but the styrofoam inside took a lump and the guy wants his $90 bucks back?

I think there's something fishy in that...[/QUOTE]

The only thing the guy bought was the box. An AES still goes for way more than 90 bucks.

holy shiiiiiiiiit!
People will pay $90 for a cardboard box with printing?
Wow, no wonder Jersey Shore gets good ratings, people really are completely fucking stupid aren't they?
Hey Carl! Look here, I gots me a box!
Hot damn, hookers and blow for everyone!

Well if he has the system and wanted a box to go with it, I'd say that probably increases the value of the whole thing.

[quote name='Clak']Well if he has the system and wanted a box to go with it, I'd say that probably increases the value of the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

This. Neo Geos in box cost a pretty penny. Especially the Gold system box which was the first year run of the neo geo.

bread's done
Back