CAGcast #229: Throw Wombat from the Train

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#31 RisenShadow

RisenShadow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:59 PM

So, I might have missed the episode where you discussed this, but what is the groups take on DLC?

Let's look at three different types of DLC:

1. Extra game content/story -- (Dragon Age and Borderlands are good examples) -- General cost -- 15 dollars.

2. Extra multiplayer maps only -- (Halo games and Call of Duty Games) generally about 4-5 dollars per map, packs include 3-5 maps.

3. Extra...stuff: Example -- the new Marvel vs. Capcom game you mentioned DLC of extra characters for 5 dollars per character.

Do you think there's a point where DLC is being abused? My biggest fear is that DLC will lower the quality of games that are released as more of the industry will want to hold off on the good parts of their game to be added a month or two later as DLC.

Along that same vein, I heard that a few of the major publishers are looking into ways to "discourage" players from buying games used. One of the ideas revolves around each game having a code to allow you to play the multi-player version of the game. That way, people who buy the game used, will need to purchase a code to be able to play it online, but they'll still be able to play the single player version of the game. What are your thoughts on that and what do you think would be a fair price for that kind of code (if you consider it fair at all).

My biggest problem with the concept currently is that this means I couldn't loan a game to a friend and have them experience the online play which may be the best part unless they have a trial version. This could potentially hurt the game rental business as well.

I ask this understanding that the game industry feels that it's losing a major part of the market to the used game stores for people who don't want to pay the full price for the game new and they're trying to figure out how to recapture some of that revenue.

(yes this is my first post, woo! I found them through the ITUNES podcast. They're #1 for gaming news according to the ratings when I found them)

#32 FecesBreath

FecesBreath

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:03 PM

Can someone PLEASE tell me what the name of the Intro music for episode #227 is? Several people posting on that show thread have been asking for the song name to no avail. Cheapy listed it as "Super Duper Mario" in the ShowNotes but a good 30min of Googling and YouTubing yielded nothing for me. Also, I'm pretty sure I hear a Ludacris voice sample in there from the song 'Stand Up', but still, nothing! Help!

#33 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

I kind of agree with GTmaster39. The guys just didn't seem to put much effort into the show this week. They bemoan the fact that they don't get more listeners but couldn't be bothered looking up any Microsoft or Nintendo news. Really? Really?

#34 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

I kind of agree with GTmaster39. The guys just didn't seem to put much effort into the show this week. They bemoan the fact that they don't get more listeners but couldn't be bothered looking up any Microsoft or Nintendo news. Really? Really?

I frankly didn't have much time to play much or look up much for the show this week. When I did look though, there wasn't anything all that interesting.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#35 GTmaster39

GTmaster39

Wes Wes Ya'll

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

I frankly didn't have much time to play much or look up much for the show this week. When I did look though, there wasn't anything all that interesting.

People will listen to your podcast no matter how un-interesting the news may be. I enjoy you're guy's show. And coming from someone who listens to Smodcast and live.twit.tv, you could talk about pickles all day I wouldn't care! Not only that but what happened with your podcast Ship?

I really don't want to have to start listening to IGN's podcast or any other gaming site for that matter.

Just talk about stuff, there's plenty out there...... trust me a lot of people appreciate your show, I just wish Cheapy felt the same way.....but unfortunately he's "Lost the Eye of the Tiger"..... That kind of pissed me off, you built this empire Cheapy and now your sick of it. Kinda of saddens me.

This one's dedicated to you CheapyD. Chin up Buddy!

#36 d510r9

d510r9

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:50 PM

I've got an idea to get more listeners - put Boatcrash in charge of the show for a few months to mix things up a bit.

And Wombat, when you you either don't know the answer, or get something wrong just admit it rather than some talking horseshit and then backing up claiming you knew the answer all along...it drives me Crazeee!

#37 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:03 PM

WTH is your 360 avatar wearing?!
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#38 YoatOverNothing

YoatOverNothing

Some Guy On The Internet

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:24 PM

"The night was moist."

I completely forgot about that quote from Throw Mamma From The Train.

Also..."Criss-cross".

#39 BladeZ

BladeZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:35 AM

Benihana doesnt fling flaming shrimp at anyone anymore btw... and i no am no longer a patron.

#40 Jake Tower

Jake Tower

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:47 AM

"For the record" - I wasn't tattling on POP for using "Bread's Done!" . . . CJ was clearly giving a shout out to CAG, since they had mentioned CAG/Cheapy on that episode.

On that note, I suggest you guys start using "Hacker Alias" to identify online usernames. :)
Posted Image

#41 Jake Tower

Jake Tower

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:57 AM

Oh, Wombat, re: Dragon Age 2

Did you find out if it will still have NPC DLC Salesmen in the game?

I wasn't feeling DAO and when I hit that NPC DLC Salesman in my camp, I had had enough. Stopped playing. Thankfully I was able to trade it on CAG for ME2.

http://www.cheapassg...pictureid=20995
Posted Image

#42 lokizz

lokizz

Go $$$$ Yourself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:40 AM

Pretty sure that baldy locked up the Douchebag of the Year award on this week's show. First he makes fun of Shipwreck for going to a hibachi place for V-day then he looks down on American-style places as not being traditional (I could hear your eyes rolling, Cheapy), and finally he tells Ship that the guy serving him food could not possibly be Japanese as though Ship would have no way of knowing. Thank you Wombat for keeping things in perspective - those places may not be traditional but they are fun and can make for a nice date. Cheapy get off your Shaqfuing high horse you arrogant douchebag.

well cmon man hes rich and living in japan he can just rent out a japanese family to cook for him on a whim why would he sully his name by going to generic hibachi ? i noticed though shipwreck invited cheapy to come to ohio to eat out with him but not wombat....................

#43 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:44 AM

Another suggestion for your show is a thumbs up and a thumbs down like some of the gaming magazines do. Like a whats hot whats not for the week.

Like the lack of 3DS launch games anyone cares about, or not being able to trade in used copies of DC Universe, Portal 2 for PS3 coming with free PC/Mac digital copies via Steam and being able to play cross platform...lots to talk about really.

And another suggestion is game announcements you could do right after the new releases. Just a mention and a sentence or 2 on upcoming stuff.

And I know there isnt a lot you could do to immediately bump up your audience but I think over time this kind of stuff would get you more listeners.

#44 JoeX111

JoeX111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:50 AM

Man, what a lifeless, unmotivated episode. I hate to say it, but Cheapy sounds totally uninterested in doing the show. Is he depressed? Is he suffering a malaise? Somebody get this man some coffee. I think if he cared any less, he might cease to exist. It was all Wombat could do to drag things along. The cagcast is one of the highlights of my late-week commute, but I definitely wasn't feeling the love this time. If you don't want to do the show, maybe it's better to just cancel for a week, rather than showing up unprepared and indifferent.

#45 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:05 AM

Love the new CAGcast!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#46 6leggednewfie

6leggednewfie

Posted 18 February 2011 - 05:34 AM

Hey guys I'm kinda new here, but could you please, please, please! Tell the name of the song at the beginning of show number 228, it's bugging me that I can't get it out my head, but I can't find it to listen to it either, so please any information you can give is a big help thanks.

Edited by 6leggednewfie, 18 February 2011 - 05:37 AM.
Spelling error

#47 StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:10 AM

When Cheapy was showing his drug dealer the Hip Hop Gamer videos that was kinda funny. You bitches need to lighten up because you sound like a bunch of soccer moms with big asses.

#48 GTmaster39

GTmaster39

Wes Wes Ya'll

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:22 AM

When Cheapy was showing his drug dealer the Hip Hop Gamer videos that was kinda funny. You bitches need to lighten up because you sound like a bunch of soccer moms with big asses.

No, you shut up. Bitch.

#49 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:18 AM

Hey Wombat I thought I recalled you saying DC Universe wouldn't make NPD for the PS3... well your sorta wrong.

10. DC Universe Online (PS3, PC) - Sony

Since it combines sales the PS3 obviously didn't do it itself, but still made it up there.

Good show as usual.

Though you were on the money with last years game making top NPD!
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, WII, NDS, PC) - Activision
2. Just Dance 2 (WII) - Ubisoft

#50 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 08:35 AM

What's a high-paced adventure game, Shipwreck?

Telltale gave up on XBLA because they don't have the infrastructure in place to support monthly subscription/release schedule, so their games are only showing up on PSN for consoles now.

The team that made the Call of Juarez games are busy on the third game, so the people making Dead Island probably don't have that much crossover with the Call of Juarez team. That game has also been in the works for at least 4-5 years since IGN's earliest article on the game is from 2007, so they have a lot more to show if they're putting this game out later this year. The trailer was made by a Scottish animation studio that is also responsible for Killzone 2 and Mass Effect 2 trailers.

Cheapy, you need to change the controls in NBA 2K11 to an older control scheme, as the default controls are terrible. I wasn't having fun with the first few games before I made the switch to a different scheme and it became playable.

I also agree that calling this new tablet the PlayStation Tablet is just disingenuous when the device isn't made by SCE and won't get the same kind of support that SCE gives their own consoles. It's just laziness by Engadget and the other tech sites to just make huge assumptions and misrepresent these devices to their audiences.

I don't feel sorry at all for the Capcom fans that bought into the shit ton of costumes that they put out for SFIV and SSFIV to tell Capcom that they'll pay a lot of money for those costumes.

Decent show.

#51 HungryButcher

HungryButcher

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

Man, what a lifeless, unmotivated episode. I hate to say it, but Cheapy sounds totally uninterested in doing the show. Is he depressed? Is he suffering a malaise? Somebody get this man some coffee. I think if he cared any less, he might cease to exist. It was all Wombat could do to drag things along. The cagcast is one of the highlights of my late-week commute, but I definitely wasn't feeling the love this time. If you don't want to do the show, maybe it's better to just cancel for a week, rather than showing up unprepared and indifferent.

See, I thought this was one of their better episodes.

It was definitely more casual than it usually is, but I enjoyed that. To me it seemed like it was a slow news week and the guys were simply enjoying each other's company. I found it to be very entertaining.

Regarding all the PS3 "bashing".

I agree with everything you guys have said over the past month or so. Sony's online experience is horrible in my opinion. Their store interface is just the worst when it comes to usability and why on Earth do their downloads take seven times what the XBOX does. And it has looked the same ever since I can remember. It just baffles me.

Not to mention that I've had to have my system repaired twice now. Urgh...

But thanks for the entertainment.

#52 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

There's nothing wrong with the PSN store. I have no more trouble finding stuff to buy on PSN than I do on the 360.

Downloads are the same speed for me on both systems.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#53 GOTA

GOTA

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:51 PM

Maybe it's time for Cheapy to take a break and get someone else for the show. It's pretty obvious he's just not into it anymore. Bring in a new host to go with Wombat and Shipwreck and just focus on the site for 6 months. Then if he misses it he can come back or just do some guest spots from time to time. The CAGcast can't be driving that much new traffic to the site at this point. Shake things up and get some of the old energy back.

#54 zoward

zoward

Poster boy for irresponsible gaming

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

For all the people who asked, I'm pretty sure the intro from #228 was St. Elmo's Fire, by John Parr.

#55 MikeE021286

MikeE021286

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

Assuming that Cheapy thought Super Street Fighter IV was a $60 game. He kept referrencing the fact that it dropped in price quickly to $20.

Even though it started off at $40, it still didn't plummet to $20 as quickly as Cheapy described IIRC.

#56 bgame2

bgame2

Pure Cag Smoothness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

I'm in complete agreement with this. To me, it seemed as if things started going downhill the week before the short show.

I really have nothing negative to say about shipwreck - he's entitled to not be super-human-game-playing guy once in a while.

Wombat on the other hand is more interested in hearing himself talk (often times mispeaking) than he is in helping to make the show more interesting. Relatedly, Wombat is more interested in the prospect of making money off of the show than he is in making the show entertaining. Fine you want to profit from something that you do in your spare time. I get that, but don't remind the listeners about that. It's annoying and off putting. Similarly, your excitement that the cool kids in school finally know your name made me want to bang my head against the wall.

Cheapy, while he was certainly never the Apollo Creed of podcasts, he does seem to be pressing for the show to be over as soon as possible.

#57 GTmaster39

GTmaster39

Wes Wes Ya'll

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

Assuming that Cheapy thought Super Street Fighter IV was a $60 game. He kept referrencing the fact that it dropped in price quickly to $20.

Even though it started off at $40, it still didn't plummet to $20 as quickly as Cheapy described IIRC.

Dude, he was exaggerating. But if anything he was spot on. SF4 drops at $60, then $40, then $20. Then SSF comes at $40 then $20.....its crap. So 2 games and 5 price drops in year time frame. That is quick.

#58 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

I'm in complete agreement with this. To me, it seemed as if things started going downhill the week before the short show.

Wombat on the other hand is more interested in hearing himself talk (often times mispeaking) than he is in helping to make the show more interesting. Relatedly, Wombat is more interested in the prospect of making money off of the show than he is in making the show entertaining. Fine you want to profit from something that you do in your spare time. I get that, but don't remind the listeners about that. It's annoying and off putting. Similarly, your excitement that the cool kids in school finally know your name made me want to bang my head against the wall.

Although making some extra cash is always nice, I have always put entertainment value as number one. Sometimes before facts, but entertainment is alway my top priority, usually for laughs. And why is it bad that they were happy to see me, should I not care? Is that the cool thing to do?

#59 CozmoKhan

CozmoKhan

Go Blackhawks!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

The CAGCast is my favorite gaming podcast by far. What makes it good is that there are no game journalists on it. There are good game journalist podcasts out there that don't preach, but give solid news and talk about what makes gaming fun. The CAGCast is the opposite, first fun & games, then news and deals.

We should all be thankful that Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck give us their time each week. And, if Wombat can make some more money off it, then more power to him.

Keep up the great work. And, don't stop making me laugh.

#60 RisenShadow

RisenShadow

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

word.

Edited by RisenShadow, 19 February 2011 - 01:48 PM.