Need your help to graduate!!

vegasbroke

CAG Veteran
Hey Guys,

I really need your help in helping me finish up my dissertation and graduate this semester with my PhD. I've been a long time gamer myself (20+ years) and play video games religiously. I am interested in enhancing video game research as it has been always looked as something negative rather than positive. Hopefully this study will help continue to educate those who are ignorant to the gaming world especially to the older generation of researchers. I have posted a video game study on CAG forums before when I was getting my masters about 3 years ago, and many of you helped me out. THANK YOU!! I just need this one last study done and then I can feed my kids and not just off my graduate student loans!!

This is my study about video games and driving habits in males that I am researching. It should only take 10 short minutes of your time and all answers are anonymous and kept confidential. Please complete and answer ALL questions as I depend on the results.

Here's the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/7HKBNQS

Your time and help is much appreciated! Thank you again!

I tried to take your survey, but almost none of the questions had an answer option that matched what I would actually do in real life. Rather than lie on the survey, I quit.

[quote name='pacifickarma']I tried to take your survey, but almost none of the questions had an answer option that matched what I would actually do in real life. Rather than lie on the survey, I quit.[/QUOTE]

This. Terrible answer choices.

Also - is the internet a reliable sample pool? I don't think I'd trust the analytical results of any paper where the sample pool was anyone from the internet.

Done.

I have to agree, the choices were limited but I picked the answers that best fit what I would do. Good luck with your research.

[quote name='kodave']This. Terrible answer choices.

Also - is the internet a reliable sample pool? I don't think I'd trust the analytical results of any paper where the sample pool was anyone from the internet.[/QUOTE]

I like the assumption that you think I am just only collecting data from the internet. FYI, the internet IS NOT the ONLY sample population I am collecting from. This is just one avenue I am using along with sample populations from universities, various companies, and those who want to participate. I appreciate your input about not trusting analytical results of any paper where the sample pool was used from the internet, but this is 2011 and I will use technology to my advantage. With that, according to the 2010 statistic of United States Internet Usage... about 80% of the U.S. population use the internet consistently, so I believe it's fair to say that a lot of people use the internet and this is a good way to get an eclectic sample size.

Thank you all who have viewed my page and have participated with my study as best you can. I also appreciate all your honest comments and continued support. Take care all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Filled it out. Gotta say that some of the choices were rather similar or very extreme. I picked the one that best fit me, but you may want to try some more choices. Like maybe 6 choices per question ranging from a passive-aggressive answer to a full on, in yo' face ordeal. Just my opinion, though.

Although, not probably the best one, being as I'm only 18 and you're getting a PhD, lol! Just trying to help out the best that I can! Wish you the best of luck!!!

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Filled it out. Gotta say that some of the choices were rather similar or very extreme. I picked the one that best fit me, but you may want to try some more choices. Like maybe 6 choices per question ranging from a passive-aggressive answer to a full on, in yo' face ordeal. Just my opinion, though.

Although, not probably the best one, being as I'm only 18 and you're getting a PhD, lol! Just trying to help out the best that I can! Wish you the best of luck!!![/QUOTE]

Very insightful! I understand the driving scenarios were a little much... That questionnaire was developed by another professor that I had permission to use. You'll be surprised to see how there are a limited amount of valid driving questionnaires that are accessible and available to graduate students. I do appreciate your help and thanks for giving me an idea to develop my own driving questionnaire that's better! But first I need to graduate in order to get things rolling. Take care!

I did it, tip the next restaurant server you like an little extra and we'll call it even.

But most of the responses seemed like this:
a) Act like a Dbag
b) Act like a Crazy Dbag
c) Act like a Crazy Dbag on Crack
D) Act like a human

Do people really follow people after someone cuts them off on the freeway? Doing that crap here in SoCal gets your ass shot. If someone acts like Dbag to you in a car let that shit go.

[quote name='vegasbroke']I like the assumption that you think I am just only collecting data from the internet. FYI, the internet IS NOT the ONLY sample population I am collecting from. This is just one avenue I am using along with sample populations from universities, various companies, and those who want to participate. I appreciate your input about not trusting analytical results of any paper where the sample pool was used from the internet, but this is 2011 and I will use technology to my advantage. With that, according to the 2010 statistic of United States Internet Usage... about 80% of the U.S. population use the internet consistently, so I believe it's fair to say that a lot of people use the internet and this is a good way to get an eclectic sample size.

Thank you all who have viewed my page and have participated with my study as best you can. I also appreciate all your honest comments and continued support. Take care all![/QUOTE]

You may want eclectic, but the internet is a good way to get a bunch of jack offs giving you bad or random answers, whereas a sample of people from a university or elsewhere who are actually taking the time to sit down and do this for you are more likely to take it seriously.

Whats to stop someone from just filling in BS 100 times on the form over the internet (other than the fact its probably a waste of their time)? Are you sure you'll be able to pick out all of the crap returns? It may seems unlikely but I'm sure someone on 4chan would be more than up for the task if you were unlucky. Leaving things open to the internet is how things get named after Harry Baals and Steven Colbert.

This has to be the dumbest survey I've ever seen. Are you a hoping to be a politician one day where there's only bad and worse scenarios? Good lord man, you're gonna be a doctor?

If this thread were a survey my answer would be, I honk my honk, curse loudly at you and tell you what a horrible survey writer you are. Then follow you home and give you a beating. Then sigh loudly that our education system is failing us once again.

Yes your survey is THAT bad. (Or whoever's survey you're borrowing)

edit: It really seems like you're trying to force correlation here rather than let it appear naturally. Like Person A plays video games and person A is a maniac on the road, so video games cause horrible road manners.

Just got done taking the survey. I was bored in Biology. >_> It was an okay survey- the problem was that, like others have said, quite a few of the answers had no fair medium. For example, one question involved someone in the left lane who wouldn't move over, and there was no "just pass him in the right lane" option that didn't involve giving him the middle finger. Another question involved someone tossing a coffee cup out their window, causing it to hit your windshield. Personally, I would have gotten behind the driver, taken down his license plate number and reported him, but once again there was no option for that.

Basically, if you end up doing more surveys in the future, I'd try to make more happy mediums and/or logical answers. Best of luck with the graduation man.

Weird answer choices overall, but glad to help someone trying to get their PhD. I just got my BA so I can only imagine what you're going through right now! Good luck with the research!

bread's done
Back