only $25 new - Skies of Arcadia Legends

Skies is usually $19.99 new at my local GameCrazy..and they always have a copy or two there. And I am talking about the Skies of Arcadia Legends for the Cube. I would get it if I didn't already have it for my DC.

Skies is usually $15 new at my GC and periodically goes on sale at Fry's for $15 as well. It's normally 19.99 at Fry's though so not too good of a deal OP. Nice try though.

People often forget that there are MANY of us without a Fry's, Kohl's, Gamecrazy, etc. in their area. I think it's great to point out possibly cheaper deals, but try to remember some of us don't have access to them and thus the original poster might actually be doing a favor. I just worry sometimes that posts like the one below--no matter how friendly--will discourage people from posting when they find stuff.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Skies is usually $15 new at my GC and periodically goes on sale at Fry's for $15 as well. It's normally 19.99 at Fry's though so not too good of a deal OP. Nice try though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BrerDan']People often forget that there are MANY of us without a Fry's, Kohl's, Gamecrazy, etc. in their area. I think it's great to point out possibly cheaper deals, but try to remember some of us don't have access to them and thus the original poster might actually be doing a favor. I just worry sometimes that posts like the one below--no matter how friendly--will discourage people from posting when they find stuff.[/QUOTE]

that's true. great point.

Stupid question but in searching I haven't been able to tell... what are the differences, if any, between the GC and DC versions of Skies?

[quote name='Genocidal']Stupid question but in searching I haven't been able to tell... what are the differences, if any, between the GC and DC versions of Skies?[/QUOTE]

GC has extra sidequests called bounties... pretty much like fighting a bunch of special bosses. One group is evil versions of the crew. Can't remember the other features off hand.

I believe some people mentioned the sound is not as good in the GC version, though.

[quote name='BrerDan']People often forget that there are MANY of us without a Fry's, Kohl's, Gamecrazy, etc. in their area. I think it's great to point out possibly cheaper deals, but try to remember some of us don't have access to them and thus the original poster might actually be doing a favor. I just worry sometimes that posts like the one below--no matter how friendly--will discourage people from posting when they find stuff.[/QUOTE]
As long as they're not rude, I think it's more important for people to point out places that people can get it for cheaper. While many people aren't near those stores, many people are, so it's helpful to point those out for folks who are near those stores. If people aren't near those stores, well, you've still got the OP.

I picked up a used copy for $8 a few days ago at a local joint. It was their only copy, so consider this a defiant wrong-forum brag.

The Cube verson has improved graphics & also fewer random battles (thank god), plus extra sidequests. I didn't notice any sound problems. It sounded great on my surround sound system.

Sometimes I think Dreamcast people imagine problems where none exist. Let's be serious..... do you really think a 450MHZ PowerPC-equipped cube, the same system that created the amazing, photo-realistic Resident Evil 4, can not handle a simple 6-yr-old game like Skies? Come on.

The Cube is 2 years more advanced than the Dreamcast. It can run circles around that ancient console.[quote name='DJSteel']i bet it's 19.99 or 24.99 at most retail stores now[/QUOTE]If you can find it. CAGgrabber listed $40-50 at all the online stores (or out of stock).

BTW, that store I listed in post #1 has a lot of really cheap games. $16-18 typical. I ended up spending $260 for 14 games ($18 each)!!! That will keep me busy until Christmas. :whistle2:D

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']The Cube verson has improved graphics & also fewer random battles (thank god), plus extra sidequests. I didn't notice any sound problems. It sounded great on my surround sound system.

Sometimes I think Dreamcast people imagine problems where none exist. Let's be serious..... do you really think a 450MHZ PowerPC-equipped cube, the same system that created the amazing, photo-realistic Resident Evil 4, can not handle a simple 6-yr-old game like Skies? Come on.

The Cube is 2 years more advanced than the Dreamcast. It can run circles around that ancient console.If you can find it. CAGgrabber listed $40-50 at all the online stores (or out of stock).

[/QUOTE]

Actually, the Dreamcast has advantages over the GameCube for audio. The GC, like the N64 and sharing many of the same engineers who left SGI and formed ArtX, lacks much in the way of dedicated audio functionality. The CPU is called upon to do much of the heavy lifting. The Dreamcast has a dedicated processor and RAM for audio tasks. It's quite strong in that area.

This isn't unusual. The Xbox 360 (and likely the PS3 from the specs shown so far) also forego the sort of dedicated audio processor found in the Dreamcast in favor of letting developers allocate CPU time as they see fit. This means less investment in audio processing hardware that doesn't always get used. For less experienced programmers though it can mean difficulty in getting it working right compared to having a dedicated subsystem that is independently programmable.

I would easily recommend this to any RPG fan. I played the original DC version and then played this GC version again when Fry's had it on sale for $15 and enjoyed the experience both time.

I actually bought it *twice*.

I bought it new for $40..... played it..... sold it for $45 on ebay..... and now I bought it back for $25. If I had been smart, I would have kept it, but I didn't realize at the time how inferior other RPGs are.

I really love the music on this game. Very stirring.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']The Cube verson has improved graphics & also fewer random battles (thank god), plus extra sidequests. I didn't notice any sound problems. It sounded great on my surround sound system.

The Cube is 2 years more advanced than the Dreamcast. It can run circles around that ancient console.If you can find it. CAGgrabber listed $40-50 at all the online stores (or out of stock).[/QUOTE]

Hey, don't knock the 'Cast. It was an amazing system for its time... it still holds up well. Take a look at the amazing technical feat that was Shenmue II.

Yeah for 1999 Dreamcast was cool, but so was my Commodore Amiga in 1989. The Amiga had multitasking, 4096 colors, CD-quality sound, and ran circles around the 4-color IBM PCs.

But you've probably never even heard of the Amiga.

Technology comes and goes. The Amiga is now history. So is the Dreamcast.

troy

I've heard of the Amiga, but have not had the pleasure of using one.
Dreamcast isn't exactly history... we're seeing new releases in Japan which are selling reasonably well. I even remember that one month where the DC outsold the Xbox in 2001. ;)

[quote name='electrictroy']Yeah for 1999 Dreamcast was cool, but so was my Commodore Amiga in 1989. The Amiga had multitasking, 4096 colors, CD-quality sound, and ran circles around the 4-color IBM PCs.

But you've probably never even heard of the Amiga.

Technology comes and goes. The Amiga is now history. So is the Dreamcast.

troy[/QUOTE]

Dreamcast still gets new games like the above poster said. And my DC has gotten and will continue to get more gametime than the GC.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I've heard of the Amiga, but have not had the pleasure of using one. Dreamcast isn't exactly history... we're seeing new releases in Japan ;)[/QUOTE]Really??? Anything good and worth importing?

troy

Look around. You should be able to get a Cube for ~$50. Like I did:

- Bought Cube for $89 on sale
- Sold the free game on Ebay for $35.
- Net price = $54

Then you can play excellent Cube-only games like Skies, Eternal Darkness, Fzero, Metroid Prime, and the new Zelda Realistic.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']Really??? Anything good and worth importing?

troy[/QUOTE]
Yes. There are many shooters and many, many ports of PC dating sims. I guess it'd be worth it to try out some of the dating sims if you're fluent in Japanase, but there's a good handful of vertical 2D shooters that came are that are just awesome to play.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Yes. There are many shooters and many, many ports of PC dating sims. I guess it'd be worth it to try out some of the dating sims if you're fluent in Japanase, but there's a good handful of vertical 2D shooters that came are that are just awesome to play.[/QUOTE]

The latest shooter, Chaos Field, was ported to Gamecube and is getting released here so skip over that one. Castle Shikigami 2 already hit here for 9.99.

Psyvariar 2 is very awesome, however.

You seem to be missing a game that was released after Chaos Field: Trizeal. Another shmup to add to the DC's extensive library that makes it in my opinion the best console for shmups and fighting games, period.

[quote name='Genocidal']You seem to be missing a game that was released after Chaos Field: Trizeal. Another shmup to add to the DC's extensive library that makes it in my opinion the best console for shmups and fighting games, period.[/QUOTE]

Yea... forgot about that one.

That one dosen't look like it's getting a port anytime soon, so I'll have to pick it up.

I remember hearing that the PlayStation2 could not run Jet Grind/Set Radio, something about memory and colors and active somethings. While the Dreamcast could. Ah, that was a good bragging point back in the day. So was this actually true?

I heard the same think about Ecco the Dolphin.

That rumor was proved false about 1 year later, when Ecco was released to the PS2. I suspect the same is true for Jet Grind/Set Radio. They could do it, but for whatever reason, decided not to.

And even if PS2 couldn't handle it, I'm sure the Cube or Box could. And yet, Sega still hasn't ported it. Why not?

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']Look around. You should be able to get a Cube for ~$50. Like I did:

- Bought Cube for $89 on sale
- Sold the free game on Ebay for $35.
- Net price = $54

Then you can play excellent Cube-only games like Skies, Eternal Darkness, Fzero, Metroid Prime, and the new Zelda Realistic.

troy[/QUOTE]

Not about money, i just don't want a third console cluttering up my living room. And out of the 3 consoles this year, cube by far has the least amount of good games IMO, so it was the one i didnt buy.

I never heard of that about Ecco the Dolphin, and quite frankly, I can't see anything in it that would make somebody say it couldn't be run on the PS2. It used a standard graphics style and had nothing "special" going on. It did look beautiful though.

[quote name='AzN.Homeboy']I never heard of that about Ecco the Dolphin, and quite frankly, I can't see anything in it that would make somebody say it couldn't be run on the PS2. [/QUOTE]

Yes that was my point. The "Ecco can't be made on PS2" rumor is as dumb as the "Jet Grind can't be made on PS2" rumor. It just doens't make sense.

And before you say Jet Grind has special graphics, so do lots of PS2 games. Like Rez. Or Gitaroo Man.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']
And before you say Jet Grind has special graphics, so do lots of PS2 games. Like Rez.
[/QUOTE]

Rez was a DC game first.

No shit Sherlock.

The point is that if PS2 can handle Rez and other graphics-intensive games, it can handle Jet Grind.

troy

Calm down Electrictoy. Woah nelly.
AM2 had said they would not have been able to do Shenmue on the PS2 in the same way they have done Shenmue for Dreamcast. Something to do with the textures-- of course, that could have just been propaganda AM2 was putting out.

Or an excuse. "We don't think Shenmue would be profitable, but we can't say that. Too negative. Might hurt sales. Let's lie instead."

If Syphon Filter can be ported *backwards* from the Xbox to the PS2...
...and Resident Evil 4 ported *backwards* from the Cube to the PS2...
...with both still looking decent...
...then surely any DC game could be done forwards from DC to PS2. Maybe it would only look 99% as good, but it could still be done.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']
If Syphon Filter can be ported *backwards* from the Xbox to the PS2...
[/QUOTE]

Syphon Filter...?

You do know it's made and published by Sony, right? So it was never meant to be for the Xbox in the first place...

Okay that Tom Clancy game... I forget the name... Rainbow 6... which was originally an Xbox exclusive.

If they can port a game from the techically-superior Xbox to the PS2, and make it look good, surely they can port every game from the older Dreamcast.

troy

Corrected.

Or an excuse. "We don't think Shenmue would be profitable, but we can't say that. Too negative. Might hurt sales. Let's lie instead."

If [Splinter Cell] can be ported *backwards* from the Xbox to the PS2...
...and Resident Evil 4 ported *backwards* from the Cube to the PS2...
...with both still looking decent...
...then surely any DC game could be done forwards from DC to PS2. Maybe it would only look 99% as good, but it could still be done.

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']No shit Sherlock.

The point is that if PS2 can handle Rez and other graphics-intensive games, it can handle Jet Grind.

troy[/QUOTE]

uh, what kind of argument is that?

"if my PS2 can handle Tempest, It can handle Halo 2"

Splinter Cell was ported backwards, yes, but with major changes made to the engine... I know the lighting in particular is worse, and from what I heard alot of the levels are more linear, since the ps2 couldn't take the large levels.

You may be right, I have no idea, but what does it matter if the lighting is not as good? If you've never seen the Xbox version, you won't know. You still get to enjoy Splinter Cell on PS2.

[quote name='62t']The problem wasn't that it can't be done, but it was taking too long. Sega said the reason they stopped the PS2 version was the longer than they expected. [/quote]That makes a lot more sense than "can not be done." I can believe that a PS2 port might be labor-intensive & expensive, especially if the marketing folks say it won't sell.

I was a bit surprised to see Space Channel, Parts 1 and 2 ported over, and sold at only $20. Sega must have lost a mint on that deal.

troy

bread's done
Back