Photo
- - - - -

Do you think there is any legit and safe way to complain about my graduate program?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Zarski843

Zarski843

The artist formerly know as Lazer77

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

Well here is a wonderful update from my program.

Dr. Dr like i said is a great guy, but an awful teacher. Our classes are 2.5 hours each week, but he does not have enough material for us to last anywhere near 2.5 hours. So he has every one of us do a 1 hour presentation, one student per class, about something that is not related to the class at all. He told us we are not responsible for knowing the chapters that the presentations come from, we are not required to take notes on our classmates' presentations either. He realized that 2 people in my class use the presentation time to do work for other classes, and I do agree that its disrespectful, but I can't blame them simply because that class is a waste of my time. So he decided halfway through the semester (midterms just ended) that we are responsible to know all 8 chapters/presentations that have been covered so far because some of us were not responsible. Each chapter is 60-80 pages, that is a thick book, and he said our next exam will have 2-4 question on each of the chapters. That is Fucked up big time, because if we knew this, we would have been taking notes and we would have been reading a chapter a week. A more reasonable punishment would be from here on out to be responsible for future chapters/presentations, that makes sense. But with our work load for every other class, we CANNOT catch up like that. This is the bullshit that I am talking about that goes on in this program. They do not communicate about the workloads they assign and they have absolutely no respect for us.

The other incident that happened yesterday is that I had to score an IQ test by hand that I administered. A program exists on the clinic computers that will do all the calculations for you. Now there is only ONE desk in the clinic, and it has a computer in front of it. I was sitting in front of the computer, I moved the keyboard and mouse aside for more work space, I turned off the computer monitor, and I was doing my own business. Dr. St (who already accused me of cheating before) comes in the room to use the microwave, we have small talk, nothing big because I have nothing to say to her. Its obvious I'm doing my stuff by hand. She comes back 2 minutes later with this smart ass grin on her face saying "you DO know that you can't use the computer to do your analysis, riiight?", as if I am Fucking cheating right there on the spot. That pissed me off, she has absolutely no respect for me, nobody in this program does.

With this kind of stuff going on left and right, its hard to keep a good morale to work hard at this program.

UPDATE
: A second year student who works in the clinic, who is most closest friend in the whole program told me that Dr. St was asking her if she knows of me cheating because I was acting suspicious yesterday. So again she thinks I am cheating, two semesters in a row. I swear to god when I graduate and I walk up and grab my diploma and then I am supposed to shake her hand, I will spit straight in her Fucking face. This program is pushing me to the edge.

Edited by Lazer77, 04 March 2011 - 03:26 PM.

Zarski843.jpg

#32 Zarski843

Zarski843

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

Well I can safely say this is like the darkest time of my life so far.

I am absolutely miserable because of school. Now I am home for spring break, and I make a huge mistake at my job and I got fired. This is the best job I have ever had and I will not get anything nearly as good until I start my career. Basically I work 2-3 hours a day, Monday-Friday, I am usually off by noon and I make roughly $100 for that amount of work. I made a huge mistake because my mind hasn't been all there lately and my boss wasn't very clear about it but made it seem like I am done there. I offered to fix my mistake by paying her back and she just won't talk to me, when she does she is screaming at me.

I know this got off topic but I am absolutely miserable. Now I don't have a job anymore to buy this that make me happy, and school takes up ****ing 95% of my life. Just need to rant...

Zarski843.jpg

#33 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

What job did you have?

seanr1221.png

#34 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

I feel for you. But you just have to suck it up or quit.

Grad school took up 90-100% of my non-sleeping time (depending on what was going on) for 7 years to do my master's and Ph D. My prof. job takes that up now.

If you can't deal with that kind of work load, and the stress that comes with the type of work, then quit before you drive yourself insane and find something else to do that's more of a 40 hour week type of thing. Not everyone is cut out for grad school or these type of careers, and there's nothing wrong with that.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#35 Eviltude

Eviltude

Steam Machine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:52 PM

Student Ombudsman Services.
Posted Image

#36 soulvengeance

soulvengeance

Beating dead horses

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

Seriously, check out another program, they're all different. I know Dmaul said they're all hard, but I think it all depends on the program. I thought my Masters' program was easier then my undergrad.
mytradelist:
http://www.cheapassg...864#post2614864

Calls this what you may, but I would say that Blacks actually benefited from the slavery. Comparing the current lives of many African Americans to Africans, one can see that the former live in much better conditions with greater freedoms and opportunities.

#37 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 06:38 AM

Student Ombudsman Services.

This is actually a great answer, but not all institutions have Ombudsman offices.

#38 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:20 PM

Seriously, check out another program, they're all different. I know Dmaul said they're all hard, but I think it all depends on the program. I thought my Masters' program was easier then my undergrad.

Well that is indeed true. It's going to be easier at places that only offer a masters (no Ph D program) usually as those tend to be geared toward practitioners rather than people who want to get the terminal degree and work in academia.

It's also usually easier at lower ranked programs than higher ones--though not always.

Another option, if he can't handle spending so much time on school, is to not work in a grad department and just take out loans or work elsewhere and do grad school part time.

I think people will get a lot less out of grad school doing it that way. But honestly that's pretty moot if you're not going onto an academic/research career anyway as you really just need the degree for a practical job. Vs. an academic career were you need to be mentored into being a competent researcher and teacher if you're ever going to get tenure.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#39 Zarski843

Zarski843

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

I really don't want to lose the work I put in so far. I am hoping after this semester it will lighten up a bit, because the second year students say this is by far the hardest semester. With the first semester being second hardest.

I helped out at a catering business. Basically I delivered food in the nearby area, which would typically work itself out for ~2 hours of delivery work, for anywhere between $50-200. Then I helped out at the kitchen, some tasks at the kitchen would be $20 for a task that takes me an hour or an hour and a half, $50 for another task that takes me maybe 2 hours. And I would sometimes cater at a party my boss would host, which would be $50 to set up the party, $50 to take down the party, and $25 an hour for hosting (usually 3-6 hours work). I can't get a job like that anywhere else, and she always worked with my school schedule.

I think she is just mad, she might take me back after my mistake.

Zarski843.jpg

#40 kodave

kodave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:01 AM

What was your mistake? Dropping a bunch of catered food or something?

#41 Zarski843

Zarski843

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

Delivered food to the wrong place. I was supposed to deliver to Dr. Jordan, I delivered to Dr. Hutchins, for some reason those two names sounded way too familiar to me, and I haven't been back to either of those two places since the summer last year so I forgot who was who. I tried to go back and grab the food before they started eating it but I was too late when I realized the mistake, which is kind of messed up, I understand most places don't tell the nurses when lunch is being ordered, but all of the doctors were eating when I came back and they didn't say anything. So it was a mistake that cost my boss $380, and it made her look very bad.

Zarski843.jpg

#42 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

Damn, that's a lot of money for little work. I need to find a job like that.
Posted Image

#43 Zarski843

Zarski843

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

Yeah which is why I am beating myself up over it. But she was my boss but turned into my friend, she always helped me out. Hopefully she'll take me back. But she absolutely lost it on me a few days ago, like holy crap lol.

Zarski843.jpg

#44 Zarski843

Zarski843

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:30 PM

Needed to complain some more, so I figured what better place than here!

Lately I have been getting absolutely sick of my classmates. I don't know why this is, but since they are hardcore procrastinators, my grade is almost always on the line when I am partners with them. For example, I have a pretty decent presentation due Wednesday with a partner, I have contacted him over and over about it, but he is up to his neck with school work because he saves everything last minute. Which basically means I will end up doing 80%+ of the project and he will just do some revisions the night before it is due. With that same partner we have a report due next week, of course he will be overwhelmed with all the stuff that he has been putting off and won't contribute until like a day before its due. I seem to be the only person who ever does my work in advance in this program, which gives me plenty of time to revise and make it even better. Yet the students who do things last minute always get A's, but when I do a solo assignment way in advance and provide multiple revisions, its always a low B or a C. And I know its not because of the quality, its just because of the wonderful program.

Its just really annoying how all of my classmates are either ass kissers or lazy procrastinators. They rarely ever do anything for anyone else. The first roughly semester and a half, I was always there to help people because that's just me. This isn't law school, there is no competition here, we can all graduate together, so I would always share my resources with my classmates, make study guides for myself and share them with my classmates, etc. Turns out that I can't do that because everyone else only takes and takes, but never return the favor. So I am always shafted in the end, last minute presentations, I do everything for myself, nobody ever offers any help.

There are a few people who are good. The second year student (my neighbor) literally bends over backwards to help me sometimes, which I always help her out the same way. Two other students in my year have helped me plenty, one of which I always have to call, but when I call she always tells me everything I need to know, but she does not share with anyone. Another student just provides good resources for me, which is also really nice. But everyone else is just ugh. I get so annoyed with the people I am with, one girl literally kisses so much ass that I am surprised she can even breath sometimes.

Just makes this program even more miserable knowing that I am alone in this.

Zarski843.jpg