Photo
- - - - -

How Many CAGs Own Firearms/Guns?

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you own Firearms/Guns

Do you own Firearms/Guns

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:06 AM

Just out of curiosity, how many CAGs here own Guns?

Living in California makes it rather difficult to get certain types of firearms personally. Since I started buying firearms, video games seem cheaper and cheaper....................

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Building this AR alone set me back $1500+ and that's pretty avg as far as black rifles go

#2 QiG

QiG

I'm all out of gum..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

None yet but I've always had a good time going to the range. I've fired maybe 12-15 different pistols and I tend to like the revolvers a bit better but my first would probably be a Glock 19(?). I got acquainted to the one my brother owns and for the sake of target practice it's a bit more practical.
Posted Image

#3 Fortune_P_Dawg

Fortune_P_Dawg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

I was thinking about posting this exact same thread yesterday as I'll be purchasing my first firearm this weekend.

I'm torn between the Smith & Wesson M&P compact .40 and the Glock 23 (also compact .40).
Posted Image

#4 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:25 PM

Nothing yet, but I have my eye on a Remington 870 Express Tactical for home protection.

#5 LottaGames

LottaGames

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:58 PM

Just paintball and Nerf here. The fun stuff.

#6 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

None. I'm not anti-gun per se as I grew up hunting etc. Just see no need to own one living in a city. I live in a very secure high rise building in a safe area, so no need for home defense. And I don't believe in concealed weapons for personal defense (though support people having the right to have them).

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#7 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

None. I personally feel people shouldn't have guns for anything other than to hunt i.e. only hunting rifles. The portion in the amendments was used back in the day so you could protect yourself from invaders and indians. Nowadays we dont have those problems.

#8 Vader582

Vader582

Dark Lord of Savings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:45 PM

None. I personally feel people shouldn't have guns for anything other than to hunt i.e. only hunting rifles. The portion in the amendments was used back in the day so you could protect yourself from invaders and indians. Nowadays we dont have those problems.

This has got to be a troll response.

I'd personally like to have a tactical shotgun for home defense and possibly a revolver; basically weapons that do not need a lot of maintenance, both my wife and I can operate and will still fire after being responsibly stored for sometime.
Nothing says "leave us alone" like the sound of shotgun round being chambered.
I've always toyed with the idea of buying a weapon but knew it was an expensive hobby.
However, having a child makes you want to protect them anyway you can.

That AR is very slick looking btw Zoglog.

Edited by Vader582, 24 February 2011 - 04:48 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
TV?
Spoiler

Spoiler

Fist bump?

#9 BillyBob29

BillyBob29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:47 PM

I've got a couple Walther handguns. PPKS, P22 and P99. I use to go to the range once or twice a week but I just can't find the time anymore.

Speaking of guns, anyone watch that reality show Top Shot? A friend turned me on to it halfway through last season. I would love to do some of the events in the show.

#10 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:52 PM

This has got to be a troll response.

I'd personally like to have a tactical shotgun for home defense and possibly a revolver. Basically weapons that do not need a lot of maintenance, both my wife and I can operate and will still fire after being unattended for sometime.
Nothing says "leave us alone" like the sound of shotgun round being chambered.

It is not. I was a victim of armed robbery on the street. If we had stricker laws, crime like that would reduce dramatically. There is no need for the people to really have guns outside of hunting purposes. Just my personal feeling which aligns with alot of people. The 2nd Amendment is constantly fought over. Again, not trying to be a "troll"

#11 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:55 PM

I've got a couple Walther handguns. PPKS, P22 and P99. I use to go to the range once or twice a week but I just can't find the time anymore.

Speaking of guns, anyone watch that reality show Top Shot? A friend turned me on to it halfway through last season. I would love to do some of the events in the show.

I watched all of season one, but none of season two. Unless they changed up the format, I won't. The problem in season one was that the first person or team to go in the competition got screwed. They had to figure out how the event worked while the other team or people watched. That gave everyone after the first person a huge advantage.

#12 Vader582

Vader582

Dark Lord of Savings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

It is not. I was a victim of armed robbery on the street. If we had stricker laws, crime like that would reduce dramatically. There is no need for the people to really have guns outside of hunting purposes. Just my personal feeling which aligns with alot of people. The 2nd Amendment is constantly fought over. Again, not trying to be a "troll"

I am truly sorry that you were the victim of an armed robbery.
However changing the laws only harms those who abide by the law.
Criminals will still find ways to obtain weapons. Gun laws only end up leaving law-abiding citizens unarmed.
Posted Image
Posted Image
TV?
Spoiler

Spoiler

Fist bump?

#13 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:26 PM

Nothing yet, but I have my eye on a Remington 870 Express Tactical for home protection.

Same here. That or a Mossberg 500 to keep the house nice and quiet.
Hopefully I'll get mine soon.
Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#14 2DMention

2DMention

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

My Dad has plenty, but they don't let me have guns.

I'm not a hunter, and don't live in the hood, so there's no need for them. I'm smart enough to stay out of trouble.

It'll be a bitch selling them when my Dad passes away, because CL or the paper don't sell them, amirite?
Posted Image

#15 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

I am truly sorry that you were the victim of an armed robbery.
However changing the laws only harms those who abide by the law.
Criminals will still find ways to obtain weapons. Gun laws only end up leaving law-abiding citizens unarmed.

Mostly true.

I will say as a person who studies crime for a living and a person who's also been a victim of an armed robbery, that having a concealed weapon does little good in preventing an armed robbery and that most where victims are shot it comes from them resisting rather than just giving up their property.

Most of the time they surprise you so you have no chance of pulling your gun and preventing them--and most are late at night when victims are tired, drunk etc. and thus easier to surprise. So there's not much more you can do other than shoot them in the back when fleeing--and do that and you risk a manslaughter charge since you're not longer in danger. Though those laws (and their enforcement, how juries treat them etc.) vary by states.

But again, I'm not anti-gun. People can have them and have concealed permits if they want. I just don't buy the defense argument (in public--home defense sure) based on experience and knowledge of street crime.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#16 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

That's actually the first firearm I bought about 6 months ago. It's a great shotgun. I bought a 28" Barrel for it and take it to shoo skeet which is a blast. Also I recommend getting the knoxx recoil stock for it.
Here's my current Home Defense setup for it.

Posted Image

In the short span of 6 months I've accumulated way too much.

I started with the XD-9 handgun, then decided to jump and buy a P220 and Springfield 1911 MC Operator for .45

Then .45 was so expensive I felt I needed something cheaper to shoot so I bought a Ruger Mark III Hunter to shoot .22

And Then of course a stupid Zombie AR chance comes a long so I get into that (Black rifles are ridiculously expensive). Eotech + Magnifier set is nearly $1000 alone.

Recently I had to jump through some hoops to pick up an XDm (Off roster pistol for California) and got a P226 Homeland Security Package.

I'm pretty liberal and I find gun people to be pretty crazy sometimes (usually extremely religious right wingers who are incredibly paranoid). However, like with most things, the truth is somewhere down the middle. Statistically wise you will probably never need a home defense weapon. However if you ever do need it, I would rather have it than not. And unless you abolish firearms from all areas of the world, in this globalized world, criminals will always get their hands on firearms.

Also I used to only think of guns as hunting tools, and remember that argument of why anyone would need anything beyond what was necessary for hunting. That argument is pretty much moot because guns are a hobby. It's not about practicality.

#17 mtxbass1

mtxbass1

This space for rent.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

Zog, how do you like that pistol grip? I tried it on the Mossberg 500 and couldn't imagine firing off more than 1 shot like that...

#18 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

And unless you abolish firearms from all areas of the world, in this globalized world, criminals will always get their hands on firearms.

Yes, criminals will attempt/get their hands on them. Being that they will be harder to obtain, you would have less wannabe thugs from low income areas who can't afford to then buy that product; things that are illegal always are sold for a premium. Less people owning = less gun committed crimes. Countries with gun laws/restrictions such as Japan and Canada have way less crime (by miles) that are committed from guns. It worked for them why can't it work for us or any other country similiar to us... just stating.

Also I used to only think of guns as hunting tools, and remember that argument of why anyone would need anything beyond what was necessary for hunting. That argument is pretty much moot because guns are a hobby. It's not about practicality.

For you, it sounds like that but for others alot use them for practicality and sport, whether good (hunting, skeet shooting, etc) or bad (robbery, shooting someone, etc). There are still a good chunk of people worldwide who live off the land.

#19 FroMann

FroMann

Follow FroMann!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

I own a big fucking knife I found in my backyard.

#20 TC

TC

Better w/o Kinect

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:10 PM

One gun for home protection. Ruger P90 .45. I've thought about switching it out or adding a 12 gauge shotgun. I did lot's of hunting with a shotgun growing up and am more confortable with that weapon.

The best thing I've got though is a great dog who alerts me when there are any strange noises or someone comes to the door. His bark along with his looks are enough to deter most would be criminals. Also on each side of my house live retired people who are home almost all the time. One of the neighbors has two kids that are cops and they stop by all the time.

I've also been considering getting a CCW License as I leave my business alone pretty much every night in an area that there aren't really any other people around. I make sure to take a good look around and my dog is with me most nights, but being robbed has crossed my mind many times. I'm the type of person who would give up anything they wanted no problem, but people will kill you for nothing these days.

Edited by TC, 24 February 2011 - 06:22 PM.

#21 LottaGames

LottaGames

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:14 PM

You know these weapons are of little use if you're not home right? Then they're stolen and used elsewhere, so there's more to the argument of keeping them at home. Not to mention most shootings are accidental when it's not locked properly.

#22 icp_00_111

icp_00_111

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:17 PM

I have a 12 gauge pump Mossberg(home defense-duck hunting gun), I have been thinking of getting a 40 cal semi-auto for a while, but have been holding off because I am thinking of just saving that cash and using towards the S&W 500. Now that gun is a beast. :D Also, about the guns getting stolen comment, that does happen frequently so if you are a collector BUY A SAFE! My friends boss in Madison has so many guns(in gun safes) that the Madison police department asked if he would turn over all his firing pins to them and then be able to pick them up at anytime he wants to use them. The dude has the best long range rifles that they make and also made a 6 gun AK-47 gatling gun, which is awesome!!! It is on a rotating crank handle incase anybody is wondering how he did it.

#23 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

Zog, how do you like that pistol grip? I tried it on the Mossberg 500 and couldn't imagine firing off more than 1 shot like that...

The pistolgrip I have is the blackhawk knoxx pistol grip stock. It absorbs recoil. It's actually a significant improvement over a normal stock. I can shoot high velocity slugs and 00 buck with virtually no impact on my shoulder.

Yes, criminals will attempt/get their hands on them. Being that they will be harder to obtain, you would have less wannabe thugs from low income areas who can't afford to then buy that product; things that are illegal always are sold for a premium. Less people owning = less gun committed crimes. Countries with gun laws/restrictions such as Japan and Canada have way less crime (by miles) that are committed from guns. It worked for them why can't it work for us or any other country similar to us... just stating.

For you, it sounds like that but for others a lot use them for practicality and sport, whether good (hunting, skeet shooting, etc) or bad (robbery, shooting someone, etc). There are still a good chunk of people worldwide who live off the land.

Yes, there are also laws where gun control has failed for various reasons (Australia & Mexico as examples). Unless you can ban firearms from the world (much less all states.... good luck with that). Gun control is not effective, so it's not a realistic solution in my mind.

I never said using guns for hunting is a bad thing, I'm just saying it's not the only reason people own firearms which anti-gun people often use as a reason for banning certain types of firearms.

My Dad has plenty, but they don't let me have guns.

I'm not a hunter, and don't live in the hood, so there's no need for them. I'm smart enough to stay out of trouble.

It'll be a bitch selling them when my Dad passes away, because CL or the paper don't sell them, amirite?

I believe your estate will handle that. There are various ways to sell your firearms via Private Party Transfer through an FFL
More than likely guns retain relatively good value in comparison to video games ;)

Mostly true.

I will say as a person who studies crime for a living and a person who's also been a victim of an armed robbery, that having a concealed weapon does little good in preventing an armed robbery and that most where victims are shot it comes from them resisting rather than just giving up their property.

Most of the time they surprise you so you have no chance of pulling your gun and preventing them--and most are late at night when victims are tired, drunk etc. and thus easier to surprise. So there's not much more you can do other than shoot them in the back when fleeing--and do that and you risk a manslaughter charge since you're not longer in danger. Though those laws (and their enforcement, how juries treat them etc.) vary by states.

But again, I'm not anti-gun. People can have them and have concealed permits if they want. I just don't buy the defense argument (in public--home defense sure) based on experience and knowledge of street crime.

you're def right for most street robberies. I see too many people on gun forums claiming to be super jack bauer. In all honesty in most cases if you're open carrying they'll steal your gun too ;). And after they've robbed you if they didn't get your CCW weapon you can't chase after them with your gun. you're asking for a world of trouble if you do.

The instances where it can help are if someone is actively targeting your life (either at random or directly). Note that I said "can" ;)

Edited by Zoglog, 24 February 2011 - 06:30 PM.

#24 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:30 PM

I'm the type of person who would give up anything they wanted no problem, but people will kill you for nothing these days.

It happens, but VERY, VERY rare. Again, I study crime for a living.

Random murders are extraordinarily rare. Shootings in robberies are extraordinarily rare, and the majority of those rare one's are victim precipitated from the victim trying to resist rather than just handing over property.

Home defense is a different issue since home invasions (though again very rare) tend to be more violent.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#25 blissskr

blissskr

Come on Square

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

I have many firearms mostly rifles and shot guns for deer hunting; though I do have a few handguns. Although I do have a concealed weapon permit my state is open carry so your free to openly display your hand gun without needing any sort of permit if you wish. Sometimes this results in encounters with law enforcement that don't know the state laws lol. There's actually groups who organize open carry days and pick up trash on roads, clean up community areas, etc to raise awareness of our rights under state law and show people most gun owners are responsible people.
:cold:

#26 metaphysicalstyles

metaphysicalstyles

Boo this man.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

Posted Image
Posted Imagehttp://www.yourgamercards.net/profile/neuroned%27Posted Image

#27 Zoglog

Zoglog

Blogging = AIDS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

It happens, but VERY, VERY rare. Again, I study crime for a living.

Random murders are extraordinarily rare. Shootings in robberies are extraordinarily rare, and the majority of those rare one's are victim precipitated from the victim trying to resist rather than just handing over property.

Home defense is a different issue since home invasions (though again very rare) tend to be more violent.

#28 Fortune_P_Dawg

Fortune_P_Dawg

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

I'm very excited to get my gun.
Posted Image

#29 QiG

QiG

I'm all out of gum..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

CC is a whole different subject... Anyone with gun knowledge tells you that you absolutely shoot to kill in any situation that you have to draw on another person and I'm not sure I want that responsibility. Then again, I've never been the victum of a violent crime and my thoughts on that might change if I'm ever in a situation that escalates beyond giving up anything I have/own.
Posted Image

#30 ranger_mj

ranger_mj

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:07 PM

Marlin 60, Mosin Nagant 91/30, WASR 10 (romanian ak47), Kel tec P3at freedom edition, Taurus PT 24/7 pro, Taurus M85, Sig P250 Compact. Waiting on my FFL to recieve my new Ruger Gunsite Scout and a new FN Herstal 17705