CAGcast #230: Space Michael and Friends

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]The friends of Space Michael discuss the Dragon Age 2 Demo, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, the latest game shopping and industry news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more!

[podcast]139[/podcast]
Download - 81 minutes, 49MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Intro - Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - DJ Sujinho & Cassiano - Exclusivas Da Nossa

Dead Island reception thrills Deep Silver

January 2011 NPD

Follow us on twitter
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Outro: Fish!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm crazy, but I enjoy your current formula a lot. It's definitely one of the most entertaining podcasts I listen to (and I listen to a lot of them on a regular basis). A new episode of the CAGcast never fails to make my week better.

Your work with the show is greatly appreciated in my household (the wife is a big fan as well) so, thanks!

Hi thanks for reading my comment from last week about getting more listeners.

The two statements I made weren't really contradicting though I dont think:

1. Have someone on your show with different taste in games
2. Dont talk about games nobody cares about

An admittedly not very great example would be Little Big Planet 2...none of you played it because it's not your thing but there's a lot of people that would rather hear about a big game like that than something like that dumb ass dreamcast collection that was reviewed.

You guys nailed it on the fighting games and learning how to play them. Nice to see I'm not the only one that can't string together ridiculous combos with little to no hints.

I'm going to ask again...

What is the CAG #228 podcast's intro song's name? xD

I've been waiting for someone to answer this question for about two weeks now.

[quote name='Kaneco']I'm going to ask again...

What is the CAG #228 podcast's intro song's name? xD

I've been waiting for someone to answer this question for about two weeks now.[/QUOTE]
Based on the show notes from that cast, it's John Parr vs Tommyknockers - Man in Motion

Dudes, you guys are back in the game. Nice show.

I don't post here much (like, EVER) but I have been listening since show #8!! I am the CAG you mentioned who worked with Larry Kenney (the voice of Lion-O). I thought the CAGs would be interested to know that not only is Mr. Kenney ALIVE but he is also providing the voice of Lion-O's dad in the new Thundercats show.

Again, very nice podcast this week, guys. Don't listen to the haters. I LOL'd at Cheapy's "Nazi Germany in Toy Story 3" comment. Keep the dream alive.

I agree about how stupid xbla prices are. It is a real shame that they don't just allow demand prices to take over. There are plenty of games that I'd buy for even 5 dollars but it is still 10 or 15 dollars. I usually stick to buying games that are the DoTW that I'd enjoy.

XBLA really looks dumb when I take my ipad out and purchase all kinds of awesome games for a dollar.

Also I think the show is great. One of the few podcasts that I usually listen to on a regular basis.

As a new iPhone owner, I really look forward to the iOS segment now.

Inspector Gadget is a good game, especially since it doesn't cost anything. I was also surprised when I saw you could download full episodes (although the quality isn't that great).

I've also been playing the shit out of Coin Dozer. As Shipwreck said on the last show, it keeps you coming back every day just to use your coins and level up.

Also another game that's getting a lot of internet love lately is Tiny Wings. It's only 99 cents and a simple but well done game. I definitely recommend checking it out.

Finally, if you have a chance to pick up Street Fighter IV on sale... do it! The controls are simplified for iOS and the game is a thing of beauty on the iPhone 4.

Good show btw.

I listen to 3 1up podcasts
OXM
IGN Gamescoop
Major Nelson
Weekend Confirmed
Feedback
and CAGCast is the best, I think everything is taste, maybe it is because you guys are older like me but I love the comedy and attitude, do not change anything or I will be pissed. I think it would be great if you got a designer or developer on the show but did not change the show show asked him random questions but do not sacrifice jokes.

gamertag mcbeesj

I gaming site I go to most is the one with the most up to date news and the most news G4 and then I go to 1up a lot because of the leveling system and I listen to all of their podcasts and want to support them and look at the show notes

[quote name='DarkZion']Based on the show notes from that cast, it's John Parr vs Tommyknockers - Man in Motion

[/QUOTE]

I found the remix they used...It's called "John Parr - New Horizon".

Man in Motion & New Horizon are both the same songs which contain those phrases in their lyrics.

I think the name is actually "Elmo's Fire".

Yeah, Tommyknockers performed the remix and named it "New Horizon"

Thanks to you, I found it! xD

I'm kind of surprised that only Wombat liked Dragon Age or the DA 2 demo. Based on what I have heard of Shipwreck's taste in games, I assume dhe would be a fan too. On a scale of 1-10, where would you guys rank yourselves in terms of how much you enjoy RPGs?

wow another episode of lets be a douchebag to wombat. seriously cheapy you and shipwreck need to let up on the bullshit. i actually was interested in wombats views on the toy story 3 game since id heard positive things about the open world toy box but i dont know anyone who played it.

both of you are just as guilty about going on and on about shit people dont really want to hear so lighten up already. the 2 of you act like your shit dont stink and seem to get way too much pleasure from ganging up on wombat.

we get it already shipwreck you love cheapy more than life itself and you cant stand to share him with anyone. and vice versa but enough is enough with that shit. stop letting your man love for each other pull down the quality of the show if necessary go circle jerk on xbox live before doing the cagcast that way we dont have to be assulted wih your petty bullshit.

Interesting discussion on the xbl arcade pricing. I'm sure microsoft controls this to prevent what has happened on the apple app store which is a constant battle of undercutting prices. It's rare that I'll spend more than $.99 for an app, which is probably true for most people.

PS: nice outro. Enjoy yo'r fishing!!

I'm at the point where I cringe whenever I hear you guys talk about a PS3 exclusive. Not looking forward to your Killzone 3 impressions.

Uhh.mmm..its okaaaaaay...the 3D is great!
-Future CheapyD

[quote name='volt1up']I'm at the point where I cringe whenever I hear you guys talk about a PS3 exclusive. Not looking forward to your Killzone 3 impressions.

Uhh.mmm..its okaaaaaay...the 3D is great!
-Future CheapyD[/QUOTE]

just be ready for the halo / gears of war comparisons. it was ok but here here and here if only it was more like gears of war or halo.

[quote name='lokizz']just be ready for the halo / gears of war comparisons. it was ok but here here and here if only it was more like gears of war or halo.[/QUOTE]

I don't think I've ever heard the guys say that they particularly loved Halo or Gears. I don't think Cheapy finished the latest iterations of either, actually.

Wow, all three of you quick to dismiss de Blob 2, which is a great game. What a shame. Though not a surprise. Show's getting lazier by the week.

[quote name='billyok']Wow, all three of you quick to dismiss de Blob 2, which is a great game. What a shame. Though not a surprise. Show's getting lazier by the week.[/QUOTE]

Nothing about de Blob interests me, that's not lazy, it is honest.

[quote name='ShockandAww']

[/QUOTE]

But the problem with your logic is that you assume everyone cares about the same games universally. You bring up LBP2...well I don't care about that game. So if you do your #1...and have someone come on to talk about LBP2...then you've just went against #2 for me.

Anyways...

I agree with you guys that Microsoft should be lowering the prices of some of their first year XBLA games. Why would I ever buy Dig Dug for 400 points when I can get an indie game like Epic Dungeon that's only 80 points and is, in my opinion, a better game.

And Wombat...if you want to get Doug Benson on your show, try bribing him with weed.

Galactus is easy Shipwreck. When he attacks just hold back to block his attacks. Then just mash the hell out of the attack buttons.

You know I swore Microsoft tried having a type of XBLA Platinum Hits. When Assault Heroes 2 came out they had a section of permanatley reduced XBLA games, though I do not think that they stuck with that. I only remember this because Assault Heroes was one of the games and they where promoting it as one of the new reduced games to play before the sequel hits. Also, Wombats rambling on of Dragon Age II bored the shit out of me and I fazed out, the same way my wife probably does when I have sex with her. Usually Shipwreck is the one that does this....

Very good show this time around. A lot more energy.

Thanks for reading my post Wombat, and to the crew for explaining what the hell was up everyones ass for the past month and half.

Like always, keep up the good work!

I totally agree with Shipwreck's statement about missing how the NPD used to report sales. By combining multiplatform sales it puts system exclusive games at a big disadvantage of getting on the Top Ten list and the publicity (and extra sales) that brings.

I have an idea. Once in a while Cheapy has published the best-selling games bought through his Amazon link. Why not make this a monthly podcast segment? A CagPD if you will. It would be a good counter-point to the NPDs and maybe get reported on by other gaming sites.

Thanks guys for the props for the Top Analyst thread and to you Wombat for pointing out that ShadyMarino is the same guy as the Panther1484 guy. It made my day for sure. But then Cheapy's "who fucking cares" attitude was disappointing, but spot on. Thanks David. ;)

I have to say though that this week's episode was more energetic and entertaining. Some people might say that you guys don't have quality conversations, but honestly when it comes to video games, how much quality do you need? I don't need the in-depth conversations which think that they should be on NPR or something. Give me the CAGCast, Player One, and the Bombcast and I'm set.

Also you guys have the worst British accents. Wombat, listen to your British Cosby impression from a while's back for your "good" British impression.

Hail to Pitt.

[quote name='banodyne']I totally agree with Shipwreck's statement about missing how the NPD used to report sales. By combining multiplatform sales it puts system exclusive games at a big disadvantage of getting on the Top Ten list and the publicity (and extra sales) that brings.

I have an idea. Once in a while Cheapy has published the best-selling games bought through his Amazon link. Why not make this a monthly podcast segment? A CagPD if you will. It would be a good counter-point to the NPDs and maybe get reported on by other gaming sites.[/QUOTE]

You don't need Cheapy for that. Amazon let's you look up the bestselling games by month. Here's January:

1. Just Dance 2 Wii
  2. Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board
  3. LittleBigPlanet 2 PS3
  4. Dance Central Xbox 360
  5. Zumba Fitness Wii
  6. Call of Duty: Black Ops PS3
  7. LittleBigPlanet 2: Collector's Edition PS3
  8. Your Shape Fitness Evolved Wii
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops Xbox 360
  10. Disney Epic Mickey Wii

[quote name='jkanownik']You don't need Cheapy for that. Amazon let's you look up the bestselling games by month. Here's January:

1. Just Dance 2 Wii
  2. Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board
  3. LittleBigPlanet 2 PS3
  4. Dance Central Xbox 360
  5. Zumba Fitness Wii
  6. Call of Duty: Black Ops PS3
  7. LittleBigPlanet 2: Collector's Edition PS3
  8. Your Shape Fitness Evolved Wii
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops Xbox 360
  10. Disney Epic Mickey Wii
[/QUOTE]

Thats just the list for Amazon and not other retailers. That list can vary because Amazon may doing certain sales or promotions that other retailers may or may not be doing. I like Amazon and they are my favorite retailer, but you still need to take into account Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, Gamestop, and other retailers hence the NPD comes to play.

[quote name='ShockandAww']An admittedly not very great example would be Little Big Planet 2...none of you played it because it's not your thing but there's a lot of people that would rather hear about a big game like that than something like that dumb ass dreamcast collection that was reviewed.[/QUOTE]

Personally I don't care about LBP2. Like, not even in the slightest bit. But I was very interested in reading the Dreamcast collection review, as I wanted to hear about what was included and how well it worked out.

It just goes to show that what you may consider to be a big game may be completely uninteresting to others, and vice-versa.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Where's the link for the sales data on making your game on sale on steam, and itunes?[/QUOTE]

Also on your comments about EA and a few other subjects there is this group who I recently came upon who makes videos about the market and those specific subjects. I think you guys should give them a watch since your all basically got your foot in the door maybe you guys can help the view on gamers improve by mentioning these ideas of theirs.

Them

[quote name='Wombat']Nothing about de Blob interests me, that's not lazy, it is honest.[/QUOTE]

those things aren't mutually exclusive, you know.

This is probably the most I've ever agreed with Wombat in an episode. I completely agree that Microsoft is just leaving money on the table with such rigid pricing for XBLA titles. I think Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo still see the downloadable space as an afterthought to the physical media market. If Microsoft was really pushing xbla deals they would make it available to silver members, instead of using the weekly deals as a means to push gold memberships. I've bought tons of games on Steam, that I likely will never play, because they were only a few bucks. I would have never even considered them before the sale or price drop.

I'm not sure if Shipwreck was just trying to play Devil's advocate, but bandwidth costs?

[quote name='ShockandAww']Hi thanks for reading my comment from last week about getting more listeners.

An admittedly not very great example would be Little Big Planet 2...none of you played it because it's not your thing but there's a lot of people that would rather hear about a big game like that than something like that dumb ass dreamcast collection that was reviewed.[/QUOTE]

The cagcast is much more interesting when they talk about games that they actually care about. It's at its worst when they talk about games or consoles because they feel obligated to by the community or because something is on the outline every week. Why would they talk about a game they have no interest in?

I do think they can spend too much time on obscure game that nobody cares about (including them), and when going over the new releases. I don't need to hear every game, just the highlights. And by highlights I don't just mean major releases, but the games you guys are interested in.

[quote name='YoatOverNothing']But the problem with your logic is that you assume everyone cares about the same games universally. You bring up LBP2...well I don't care about that game. So if you do your #1...and have someone come on to talk about LBP2...then you've just went against #2 for me.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bickle']Personally I don't care about LBP2. Like, not even in the slightest bit. But I was very interested in reading the Dreamcast collection review, as I wanted to hear about what was included and how well it worked out.

It just goes to show that what you may consider to be a big game may be completely uninteresting to others, and vice-versa.[/QUOTE]

Like I said it's not a great example to begin with because the 2 games I was talking about were on 2 completely separate shows and also LBP2 has had some broke ass online for 5 weeks now without a fix so Media Molecule and the game can suck a dick for all I care. The point remains though: More people would care about a bigger title like LBP2 than some of the other games that are talked about. That's really all I'm trying to say.

But I'd agree they should not just start playing crap they have no interest in to please anyone else.

I've got something you can mull over for another top analyst prediction. Who knows when it will be resolved though.

Its been a full 2 years of silence since the Dragon Quest 10 announcement.

So whats the deal?
a) Is it still slated as a Wii exclusive?
b) Has it been moved completely off Wii and exclusively to 3DS or the Nintendo's next home console?
c) Will it be the first multiplatform Dragon Quest, and for what systems?
d) Other (timed exclusive, 360/PS3 ports, etc)

I was also disappointed with the Dragon Age 2 Demo, I had no idea what was going on. I admit I suck at games and somehow I beat that Troll or ogre thing on the first shot. The main Hawke Died but when I figured out how to map a quick heal it was a lot easier, although when you pass that point it removed my quick heal and I died. I might buy it when there is a price drop, but I think The demo will keep from a day one purchase at this point.

Wombat is 100% right on the xbox live stuff also, I have scoured through it and thought boy this game looks cool, I forgot about it and then its still 10 or 15 bucks. I didn't have time to play Shadow Complex for example and I looked last week and its STILL 15 bucks. I'd pay 7 for it since it came out 18 months ago or so but not full price.

I work as a letter carrier walking all day so I listen to many many podcast (CAG Talkradar OXM GiantBomb Joystiq, Checkmate Arcade few other non game related ones) When a new CAGCast shows up in my itunes feed it is always the first one I listen to. The reason is simple, most of the other outlets do this for a job, and in some way are forced to do it, so sometimes you feel like certain people don't want to be there or they are not interested. I like the cagcast because I know Wombat and Shipwreck both work full time jobs and do this because they love gaming. I feel it is a genuine show.

Wombat, I completely agree with you about Dead Island. I am for a game that features a strong emotional resonance, but as a father of a baby girl, I was mortified at the beginning of that trailer and hope to never actually feel what it would be like to lose my child. I'm hoping to find a spoiler-heavy review when the game comes out and if the little girl dies, I will definitely not be buying it.

And as for a tip for a first time game convention go-er (and to everyone one else that's going):
WEAR DEODORANT!!! And bring a clothes pin for your nose because the smell of thousands of nerds who never leave the house and don't know how to be respectful in a group setting is probably the biggest reason I am not going to PAX this year. Unless I dip my head in bleach and permanently lose my sense of smell.

I think they have rigid pricing on the consoles so they can have sales and sell them cheaper, so if you are desprite you pay a higher price, just like if you want something new right away you pay the $60 for the game.

Yes, you guys ordered Killzone 3, I like the fact that Wombat wouldn't even think of mentioning that he wasn't getting the game. I'm ok with it, I don't like the Killzone or Gears franchises.

Love the section 5 minutes about a game no one cares about. I was still stunned seeing Wombat playing that game online. I got it from gamefly, TS3 ok but Wombat likes it too much.

Any1 excited for Fight Night Champion next week? I want to play it but with me getting 3 copies of Pokemon Black/White and 2 versions of MLB The show 11 and MLB 2k11 the following week, I can't see getting it just to probably play it for a week.

Dragon Age 2 demo - I think it's a bad demo and won't be what the final game will be.
I think it was bad for them to demo this game.

BTW since no one seems to want to review the Show's demo. It's awesome, the coop is so cool and me and my son have had a blast playing it.

I listen to many hours of podcasts every day. When I first started with the podcast thing I would listen to mostly video game podcasts. Now I only listen to the CAGcast and the 1up Oddcast. Just like Wombat, I now listen to almost all comedy podcasts. But I still get genuinely excited every time I see that there is a new CAGcast, and am saddened when I must concede that you guys are taking the week off.

My 2 cents -
Your format is great. The three of you have great chemistry. I want to hear about the games you want to talk about, that is why I listen.
Guests are not needed. Other podcasts bring on developers or industry insiders and I just find it boring. Boring stories along with a lot of ass-kissing seems to be the gist of the interview. Games are interesting, the people that make them usually aren't
If you do go for guests I would vote for people not in the industry. Wombat trying to get Doug Benson was a great idea. Interesting/funny people that can talk about games would be entertaining, otherwise don't bother.

What I like about your show, and probably why I'm still listening, is is doesn't seem like I'm listening "game journalists" (hope that doesn't offend any you). It just feels like I'm listening to funny guys that just like to play games and talk about them (or whatever is on their mind). Keep it up. I'll keep listening as long as you keep posting podcasts.

[quote name='davidb69']
Yes, you guys ordered Killzone 3, I like the fact that Wombat wouldn't even think of mentioning that he wasn't getting the game. I'm ok with it, I don't like the Killzone or Gears franchises.

Love the section 5 minutes about a game no one cares about. I was still stunned seeing Wombat playing that game online. I got it from gamefly, TS3 ok but Wombat likes it too much.

[/QUOTE]

I am not getting KZ because I have Dragon Age coming in a week. I don't need it right now. I would like to play it eventually, but if I got it, it would just sit on a pile, and my wallet doesn't need that.

bread's done
Back