CAGcast #230: Space Michael and Friends

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#31 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:43 PM

Galactus is easy Shipwreck. When he attacks just hold back to block his attacks. Then just mash the hell out of the attack buttons.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#32 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:43 PM

You know I swore Microsoft tried having a type of XBLA Platinum Hits. When Assault Heroes 2 came out they had a section of permanatley reduced XBLA games, though I do not think that they stuck with that. I only remember this because Assault Heroes was one of the games and they where promoting it as one of the new reduced games to play before the sequel hits. Also, Wombats rambling on of Dragon Age II bored the shit out of me and I fazed out, the same way my wife probably does when I have sex with her. Usually Shipwreck is the one that does this....
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#33 GTmaster39

GTmaster39

Wes Wes Ya'll

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:31 AM

Very good show this time around. A lot more energy.

Thanks for reading my post Wombat, and to the crew for explaining what the hell was up everyones ass for the past month and half.

Like always, keep up the good work!
Posted Image
Support NGAME.TV / Made a permanent switch to Ubuntu...Feels Good Man.

#34 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:33 AM

I totally agree with Shipwreck's statement about missing how the NPD used to report sales. By combining multiplatform sales it puts system exclusive games at a big disadvantage of getting on the Top Ten list and the publicity (and extra sales) that brings.

I have an idea. Once in a while Cheapy has published the best-selling games bought through his Amazon link. Why not make this a monthly podcast segment? A CagPD if you will. It would be a good counter-point to the NPDs and maybe get reported on by other gaming sites.

#35 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:48 AM

I have to disagree with the Cheapy's opinion that mainstream gamers won't be into Duke Nukem Forever. They probably won't have the nostalgia that we do from the 90s but they'll respond to the over-the-top gameplay and humor they showed in the latest trailer.

#36 Panther1484

Panther1484

Hail to Pitt!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:30 AM

Thanks guys for the props for the Top Analyst thread and to you Wombat for pointing out that ShadyMarino is the same guy as the Panther1484 guy. It made my day for sure. But then Cheapy's "who fucking cares" attitude was disappointing, but spot on. Thanks David. ;)

I have to say though that this week's episode was more energetic and entertaining. Some people might say that you guys don't have quality conversations, but honestly when it comes to video games, how much quality do you need? I don't need the in-depth conversations which think that they should be on NPR or something. Give me the CAGCast, Player One, and the Bombcast and I'm set.

Also you guys have the worst British accents. Wombat, listen to your British Cosby impression from a while's back for your "good" British impression.

Hail to Pitt.

Edited by Panther1484, 25 February 2011 - 01:43 AM.

#37 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:00 AM

I totally agree with Shipwreck's statement about missing how the NPD used to report sales. By combining multiplatform sales it puts system exclusive games at a big disadvantage of getting on the Top Ten list and the publicity (and extra sales) that brings.

I have an idea. Once in a while Cheapy has published the best-selling games bought through his Amazon link. Why not make this a monthly podcast segment? A CagPD if you will. It would be a good counter-point to the NPDs and maybe get reported on by other gaming sites.

You don't need Cheapy for that. Amazon let's you look up the bestselling games by month. Here's January:

• Just Dance 2 Wii
  • Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board
  • LittleBigPlanet 2 PS3
  • Dance Central Xbox 360
  • Zumba Fitness Wii
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops PS3
  • LittleBigPlanet 2: Collector's Edition PS3
  • Your Shape Fitness Evolved Wii
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Xbox 360
  • Disney Epic Mickey Wii

Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#38 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:35 AM

You don't need Cheapy for that. Amazon let's you look up the bestselling games by month. Here's January:

• Just Dance 2 Wii
  • Wii Fit Plus with Balance Board
  • LittleBigPlanet 2 PS3
  • Dance Central Xbox 360
  • Zumba Fitness Wii
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops PS3
  • LittleBigPlanet 2: Collector's Edition PS3
  • Your Shape Fitness Evolved Wii
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops Xbox 360
  • Disney Epic Mickey Wii

Thats just the list for Amazon and not other retailers. That list can vary because Amazon may doing certain sales or promotions that other retailers may or may not be doing. I like Amazon and they are my favorite retailer, but you still need to take into account Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, Gamestop, and other retailers hence the NPD comes to play.
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#39 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:07 AM

An admittedly not very great example would be Little Big Planet 2...none of you played it because it's not your thing but there's a lot of people that would rather hear about a big game like that than something like that dumb ass dreamcast collection that was reviewed.

Personally I don't care about LBP2. Like, not even in the slightest bit. But I was very interested in reading the Dreamcast collection review, as I wanted to hear about what was included and how well it worked out.

It just goes to show that what you may consider to be a big game may be completely uninteresting to others, and vice-versa.

#40 Timeos

Timeos

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:05 AM

Where's the link for the sales data on making your game on sale on steam, and itunes?

Also on your comments about EA and a few other subjects there is this group who I recently came upon who makes videos about the market and those specific subjects. I think you guys should give them a watch since your all basically got your foot in the door maybe you guys can help the view on gamers improve by mentioning these ideas of theirs.

Them

550274.png?93368660

fs_overall.png?1386310871

Look at yourself. Now look at me. Now look at yourself. Now look at me. Unfortunately you are not me. Because you are not riding this horse backwards. Heeya!

Any questions?

#41 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:04 AM

Nothing about de Blob interests me, that's not lazy, it is honest.

those things aren't mutually exclusive, you know.

#42 msdmoney

msdmoney

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:14 AM

This is probably the most I've ever agreed with Wombat in an episode. I completely agree that Microsoft is just leaving money on the table with such rigid pricing for XBLA titles. I think Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo still see the downloadable space as an afterthought to the physical media market. If Microsoft was really pushing xbla deals they would make it available to silver members, instead of using the weekly deals as a means to push gold memberships. I've bought tons of games on Steam, that I likely will never play, because they were only a few bucks. I would have never even considered them before the sale or price drop.

I'm not sure if Shipwreck was just trying to play Devil's advocate, but bandwidth costs?

Hi thanks for reading my comment from last week about getting more listeners.

The two statements I made weren't really contradicting though I dont think:

1. Have someone on your show with different taste in games
2. Dont talk about games nobody cares about

An admittedly not very great example would be Little Big Planet 2...none of you played it because it's not your thing but there's a lot of people that would rather hear about a big game like that than something like that dumb ass dreamcast collection that was reviewed.

The cagcast is much more interesting when they talk about games that they actually care about. It's at its worst when they talk about games or consoles because they feel obligated to by the community or because something is on the outline every week. Why would they talk about a game they have no interest in?

I do think they can spend too much time on obscure game that nobody cares about (including them), and when going over the new releases. I don't need to hear every game, just the highlights. And by highlights I don't just mean major releases, but the games you guys are interested in.

#43 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

But the problem with your logic is that you assume everyone cares about the same games universally. You bring up LBP2...well I don't care about that game. So if you do your #1...and have someone come on to talk about LBP2...then you've just went against #2 for me.

Personally I don't care about LBP2. Like, not even in the slightest bit. But I was very interested in reading the Dreamcast collection review, as I wanted to hear about what was included and how well it worked out.

It just goes to show that what you may consider to be a big game may be completely uninteresting to others, and vice-versa.

Like I said it's not a great example to begin with because the 2 games I was talking about were on 2 completely separate shows and also LBP2 has had some broke ass online for 5 weeks now without a fix so Media Molecule and the game can suck a dick for all I care. The point remains though: More people would care about a bigger title like LBP2 than some of the other games that are talked about. That's really all I'm trying to say.

But I'd agree they should not just start playing crap they have no interest in to please anyone else.

#44 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

I've got something you can mull over for another top analyst prediction. Who knows when it will be resolved though.

Its been a full 2 years of silence since the Dragon Quest 10 announcement.

So whats the deal?
a) Is it still slated as a Wii exclusive?
b) Has it been moved completely off Wii and exclusively to 3DS or the Nintendo's next home console?
c) Will it be the first multiplatform Dragon Quest, and for what systems?
d) Other (timed exclusive, 360/PS3 ports, etc)

#45 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

I was also disappointed with the Dragon Age 2 Demo, I had no idea what was going on. I admit I suck at games and somehow I beat that Troll or ogre thing on the first shot. The main Hawke Died but when I figured out how to map a quick heal it was a lot easier, although when you pass that point it removed my quick heal and I died. I might buy it when there is a price drop, but I think The demo will keep from a day one purchase at this point.

Wombat is 100% right on the xbox live stuff also, I have scoured through it and thought boy this game looks cool, I forgot about it and then its still 10 or 15 bucks. I didn't have time to play Shadow Complex for example and I looked last week and its STILL 15 bucks. I'd pay 7 for it since it came out 18 months ago or so but not full price.

I work as a letter carrier walking all day so I listen to many many podcast (CAG Talkradar OXM GiantBomb Joystiq, Checkmate Arcade few other non game related ones) When a new CAGCast shows up in my itunes feed it is always the first one I listen to. The reason is simple, most of the other outlets do this for a job, and in some way are forced to do it, so sometimes you feel like certain people don't want to be there or they are not interested. I like the cagcast because I know Wombat and Shipwreck both work full time jobs and do this because they love gaming. I feel it is a genuine show.

Edited by Kezmer, 25 February 2011 - 01:34 PM.

122445.png

#46 zebwinz

zebwinz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

Wombat, I completely agree with you about Dead Island. I am for a game that features a strong emotional resonance, but as a father of a baby girl, I was mortified at the beginning of that trailer and hope to never actually feel what it would be like to lose my child. I'm hoping to find a spoiler-heavy review when the game comes out and if the little girl dies, I will definitely not be buying it.

And as for a tip for a first time game convention go-er (and to everyone one else that's going):
WEAR DEODORANT!!! And bring a clothes pin for your nose because the smell of thousands of nerds who never leave the house and don't know how to be respectful in a group setting is probably the biggest reason I am not going to PAX this year. Unless I dip my head in bleach and permanently lose my sense of smell.
Posted Image

#47 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

I think they have rigid pricing on the consoles so they can have sales and sell them cheaper, so if you are desprite you pay a higher price, just like if you want something new right away you pay the $60 for the game.

Yes, you guys ordered Killzone 3, I like the fact that Wombat wouldn't even think of mentioning that he wasn't getting the game. I'm ok with it, I don't like the Killzone or Gears franchises.

Love the section 5 minutes about a game no one cares about. I was still stunned seeing Wombat playing that game online. I got it from gamefly, TS3 ok but Wombat likes it too much.

Any1 excited for Fight Night Champion next week? I want to play it but with me getting 3 copies of Pokemon Black/White and 2 versions of MLB The show 11 and MLB 2k11 the following week, I can't see getting it just to probably play it for a week.

Dragon Age 2 demo - I think it's a bad demo and won't be what the final game will be.
I think it was bad for them to demo this game.

BTW since no one seems to want to review the Show's demo. It's awesome, the coop is so cool and me and my son have had a blast playing it.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276

#48 blacketj

blacketj

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:35 PM

I listen to many hours of podcasts every day. When I first started with the podcast thing I would listen to mostly video game podcasts. Now I only listen to the CAGcast and the 1up Oddcast. Just like Wombat, I now listen to almost all comedy podcasts. But I still get genuinely excited every time I see that there is a new CAGcast, and am saddened when I must concede that you guys are taking the week off.

My 2 cents -
Your format is great. The three of you have great chemistry. I want to hear about the games you want to talk about, that is why I listen.
Guests are not needed. Other podcasts bring on developers or industry insiders and I just find it boring. Boring stories along with a lot of ass-kissing seems to be the gist of the interview. Games are interesting, the people that make them usually aren't
If you do go for guests I would vote for people not in the industry. Wombat trying to get Doug Benson was a great idea. Interesting/funny people that can talk about games would be entertaining, otherwise don't bother.

What I like about your show, and probably why I'm still listening, is is doesn't seem like I'm listening "game journalists" (hope that doesn't offend any you). It just feels like I'm listening to funny guys that just like to play games and talk about them (or whatever is on their mind). Keep it up. I'll keep listening as long as you keep posting podcasts.

#49 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:41 PM

Yes, you guys ordered Killzone 3, I like the fact that Wombat wouldn't even think of mentioning that he wasn't getting the game. I'm ok with it, I don't like the Killzone or Gears franchises.

Love the section 5 minutes about a game no one cares about. I was still stunned seeing Wombat playing that game online. I got it from gamefly, TS3 ok but Wombat likes it too much.

I am not getting KZ because I have Dragon Age coming in a week. I don't need it right now. I would like to play it eventually, but if I got it, it would just sit on a pile, and my wallet doesn't need that.

#50 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:36 PM

As a father of a 3 year old daughter I can relate to wombat's assessment of the Dead Island Trailer. It is strange how a father can instantly become sensitive to certain things that would have not phased him in the past. It's the same reason why i have no desire to play Heavy Rain.

#51 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

i am not getting kz because i have dragon age coming in a week. I don't need it right now. I would like to play it eventually, but if i got it, it would just sit on a pile, and my wallet doesn't need that.

signature edition??
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#52 nateeasy29

nateeasy29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

Blows my mind that Cheapy has never heard of Pilotwings? Was he joking?

#53 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

I am not getting KZ because I have Dragon Age coming in a week. I don't need it right now. I would like to play it eventually, but if I got it, it would just sit on a pile, and my wallet doesn't need that.

That's cool, it just seemed like a morbid silence, like you didn't want to say anything. I'll even play it at some point via gamefly.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276

#54 ObiBen

ObiBen

Form Titan!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

Guys, I think the show is just fine. i don't listen to the CAGCast for special segments or guests. I listen to the CAGCast because I can relate to you guys, and I always enjoy a good deal on games here and there. Don't change a thing.

#55 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:45 PM

Couple of notes:

• Top analyst is lacking a little. Pachter doesn't just predict numbers. The numbers he predicts have context in reports and there is reasoning behind them. People grab those numbers and report on them elsewhere removing a lot of the meaning. In order to really be a top analyst you need to include more context and reasoning with your predictions.
  • Toy Story 3 is good. Let Wombat talk about it all he wants.
  • I bought Bulletstorm instead of renting it due to the Gears beta.
  • Vague DLC plans don't generate news. Every blog ran a story on the Bulletstorm DLC plans because the details were news.
  • There's a reason Valve has Portal 2 PC priced at $44.99 on Steam. With all of the data they have available from Steam sales, you would think they would price it lower than that if they thought they would make more money.

Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#56 terpkristin

terpkristin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

Interesting show. I haven't actually posted in one of these threads in a long while. I agree with the people here, this was a better-than-recent-episodes show. I still think that there is a correlation between length and show quality, though...your best episodes are 90 minutes or less.

I'm surprised Ship doesn't like Dragon Age very much. Sounds like I need to give the DA2 demo a go. Maybe I'll just wait for Skyrim and then worry about filling the back catalog..

/tk
terpkristin
Find me on XBLA and PSN as terpkristin
Wii: 4059 1919 9282 7625
Now Playing: trying to go through the stack of games...
Trying to update the blog regularly.. http://gimpygal.blogspot.com
http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com/

#57 Kuromimi

Kuromimi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:09 AM

Love the show guys. Keep up the good work.
Posted Image

#58 ianoid

ianoid

5me77i.us!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:36 AM

I'm kind of surprised that only Wombat liked Dragon Age or the DA 2 demo.

I'm surprised too. The DA2 demo was much more hack n slash than the previous game. And what is so bad about video game breasticles? I thought the character models were great. I think you guys nailed it when you said 'it didn't feel like I was doing anything'. I agreed. I constantly reminisce about Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and the games built on that engine (Champions of Norrath). It was very arcade-y feeling, but I got a sense that button mashing had a distinct result.

Question for the next show: Can you guys predict when you think the iPhone 3D will be released? 2012? 2013? Later?

My prediction: All three CAGCast hosts will have at least Kinect or Move by Xmas 2011. And 2 of 3 will have both. And the two with children will play with the controllers with their kids. Ohh noo! (Crazy Climber)

Have you talked about Battlefield 3 yet? Cheapy opened my eyes to Battlefield Bad Company and now it's the first online game I've played in earnest. Which of you are looking forward to it?

Another show suggestion: Videogame related Tweet analysis. Take the last 10 (or so) tweets from a video game personality or franchise and discuss them. For example, talk about the last few tweets from Gerstman.

And finally, I want to push the like button for the we pretend we're analysts segment and the iphone/ipad segment.
Posted Image

#59 Copper_City_Champ

Copper_City_Champ

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:48 AM

I'm loving the new Top Analyst segment, keep up the good work!

#60 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

Regarding the discussion about video game price dropping.

Whenever you see an article that says something like "Assassins Creed Brotherhood Ships 5 Million Units" you can bet that it will be marked down to $40 in no time. It is a big title, but it's not Halo or a Call of Duty Game.

In order for the big retailers to get big discounts they have to buy a LOT of games. Therefore a place like amazon will discount the game quickly when they realize that it's not selling at the $60 price tag.

Side Note: Enslaved is a fantastic game, especially at $20. The voice acting and story is up there with Uncharted 2 (the story is actually much better than Uncharted 2). It is a game that makes you feel connected to the characters (without having a zombie kill a child).