60 replies to this topic

#1 lazyb

lazyb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:14 AM

http://www.amazon.co...c/dp/B002ZS6Y64 or
http://www.bestbuy.c...x 720&cp=1&lp=1

Normally it's 120 on amazon figured i'd give it a try to up my COD game. I hope it turns out to be good.

The cheaper AX 180 is $49.99:
http://www.amazon.co...duct/B002P77432

Edited by lazyb, 24 February 2011 - 04:37 PM.

Posted Image

#2 TurboNerd

TurboNerd

I'm looking for co-op buddies! PM me!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:51 AM

is the ax720 good?

fs_pc.png fs_xbox.png
I'm looking for co-op buddies on XBOX Live and Steam! PM me!

#3 dizzlle01

dizzlle01

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

I own it and its great. I love the fact you can use on a xbox and ps3.

#4 Mr Mxyzptlk

Mr Mxyzptlk

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:19 PM

i just picked them up 2 weeks ago from best buy, they're awesome.

Edit: just checked bestbuy.com and they're on sale for 99.99 also

http://www.bestbuy.c...n 720&cp=1&lp=1

Edited by Captain Andreas, 24 February 2011 - 12:42 PM.

Posted Image

#5 GuitarGuru

GuitarGuru

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

Thanks! Snagged me a pair as I was just talking about them with a buddy last night.
Posted Image

#6 ury2ok2000

ury2ok2000

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:56 PM

I own a set of these and they are really convenient. Be aware though that there is pretty much no bass (well i exagerate but its definitely not punchy or what not). Personally I am looking into getting another headset because I really want to hear the impact from gunfire and such.

Good headjust, just really no bass. FYI.

#7 KansasFF

KansasFF

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:00 PM

I love these. Sound is phenomenal.

#8 VindictiveGnome

VindictiveGnome

Cleared to engage.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

I bought this headset a few months ago. It works great with PS3 and 360. I highly recommend it.

#9 newlu

newlu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

$99.99 is not a deal, sorry.

#10 henryVIII

henryVIII

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:26 PM

I disagree. These have been holding steady for the most past at $129.99 for about a year. I was waiting on them to drop in price for months last year, but gave in and finally bought at $129.99. $99.99 is the lowest I have ever seen them.

This is a very nice headset for the most part. There are better options out there if you have a ton of money to spend. But for those looking for a reasonably priced, excellent sounding 5.1 gaming headset, these are a great option.

Pros:
- Very good sound quality
- 5.1 Surround Sound (Simulated)
- Easy to set up
- Works with Xbox 360, PS3, and PC

Cons:
- Bulky, these things are pretty huge
- Build quality seems a little on the flimsy side
- Wired (although I personally preferred a wired set)

#11 sying

sying

Speedy1961 Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:27 PM

Go back to SD...

To each his own, if you see a better deal post it or shut it. I'm in for 1, being that its multisystem AND $30 off, good enough for me.

#12 KirbyLovesTacos

KirbyLovesTacos

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:40 PM

A hell of a deal on a great headset. I have it and it's fantastic.

The only problem I dislike is the sounds leaks ALOT. That's about it though.

#13 Fonz72

Fonz72

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:56 PM

I would say go for it at this price. I ended up picking up the Ear Force DPX21 when it was on a lightning deal last month for $105.

A "surround sound" headset for $100 is a great investment, it really makes games more immersive.

#14 wesleypipes6

wesleypipes6

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

Does anyone use them for BOTH the 360 & PS3?

Can you give me any input as to how the setup is if I want to use these on both systems....basically, is it a pain to switch from one system to another?

#15 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

Oh well, I ordered a Sharkoon SP headset last night for $60, so I guess I'll have to live without the 5.1 for now. Maybe the extra $40 is worth it, but I haven't started work yet :D
Posted Image

#16 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:21 PM

I would also like to know that.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#17 ElektroDragon

ElektroDragon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

HAHAHAHAH!!! Dude, I paid THREE TIMES that for these when they were first released!

#18 ProblEmZ

ProblEmZ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

Good deal. I got mine around black friday for $118 and thought deal. 4 months of fun, until price drop, still worth it.
They also can be used for pc. I'm currently using them for my ps3.

#19 lazyb

lazyb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

Can you give me any input as to how the setup is if I want to use these on both systems....basically, is it a pain to switch from one system to another?

I'm going to get this Splitter along with 2 more cables so I don't have a switch inputs all the time. It'll cost around $12.:

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

i just picked them up 2 weeks ago from best buy, they're awesome.

Edit: just checked bestbuy.com and they're on sale for 99.99 also

http://www.bestbuy.c...n 720&cp=1&lp=1

Thanks for the heads up I'll add BB to the post as well.
Posted Image

#20 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:39 PM

If u don't mind losing the simulated surround sound, I highly recommend the Turtle Beach PX21 @ $79.99 MSRP. I've had that headset for 2 months with no issues at all.

#21 thomas10451

thomas10451

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

I'M going to get this Splitter along with 2 more cables so I don't have a switch inputs all the time. It'll cost around $12.:

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

Thanks for the heads up I'll add BB to the post as well.

Thanks for the tip lazyb for the splitter and cables.
Cheapassgamer for life. Sweet

#22 mkaliaz

mkaliaz

Scurvy Dog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

Tritton makes good headphones. I personally looked at this model, but decided against it when I discovered the 720 only gives you SIMULATED 5.1 sound. I chose to get the Tritton AX Pro model that gives true 5.1 sound. It does cost more, but has been well worth the money. I use it constantly on my PC and consoles and love it.

#23 illmatic21

illmatic21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

I've been wanting to get a pair of gaming headphones lately. It would be my first time getting a pair of those but I think they would get a lot of use (PS3, 360, movies) so I don't mind spending $100-150 on them.

I'm kind of torn between these and the Turtle Beach DPX21. I've read lots of impressions and reviews on both and it seems like the DPX21 has slightly better sound quality, are more comfortable and you can hear yourself speaking through the headset. I like that last factor since supposedly these headsets cut off any outside sounds completely, including your own voice. It would be weird not hearing yourself so you would be talking louder than usual or wondering if you're talking loud enough.

I don't like the white color of the AX720 but supposedly the directional sounds in games like CoD is a little better than the DPX21.

But it's $100 vs $140. I kind of want to bite on this deal to save some money but it's a tough choice.

#24 gage006

gage006

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

I picked up the Logitech F540s at Best Buy last night instead for $109. Wired was a deal breaker for me. The F540s sound great even if they're only stereo.

#25 VindictiveGnome

VindictiveGnome

Cleared to engage.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

The headset comes with a cord that hooks into the 360 controller and the volume control piece. For PS3, you just plug a USB (included with the headset) into the back of the amplifier into a USB slot on the PS3. I think the PS3 is a lot less of a hassle and a lot less of a mess compared to hooking up the 360. The 360 is fine though, it just adds an extra cord that gets in your way. This is definitely an awesome headset. Killzone 3 sounds amazing!

#26 spectre666

spectre666

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

I ordered them as well. I have the TB X1's now, but don't like no being able to have mic function using the PS3.

#27 enufs8d

enufs8d

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

great deal.

once again, dobly headphone ("simulated surround") is infinitely better than "true" 5.1. say the tritton ax pro uses 5 tiny drivers that fit in ear cuff to separate sounds. since its so close to your ear, you'll definitely notice the large gaps between the five drivers. its not surround sound, its more like five points and large gaps inbetween. on the other hand, dobly headphone uses changes in frequency/amp to trick your brain into thinking that sound is coming from your environment.

options
mix amp = mix amp 5.8 wireless = roughly same as tritton ax720 >> dss >>> ax pro

the dss is great if you dont notice the hiss. if you can't hear it, then youre golden.

what youre really buying with the ax720 is the box. youre getting a closed headset for free. the cans are decent but the mic is iffy ok. if you want to upgrade, you will just buy better headphones and plug it into your ax720 box (which is equivalent to the mixamp).

but each person's ears are different, so my advice may or may not work for you.

Edited by enufs8d, 24 February 2011 - 06:13 PM.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 egonpax

egonpax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

I ordered them as well. I have the TB X1's now, but don't like no being able to have mic function using the PS3.

Just FYI, I picked this up for less than $10 from Amazon and it basically turns the TB mic into a USB mic. You have to run your sound like you do through your Xbox (through the red/white composite pass throughs or like me with the TB DSS) NOT through USB.

The only 2 caveats is that the sound is controlled by only the main dial (not a separate volume for main/chat) and the version I got is only outputting mono sound through the mic which is FINE for chatting, but not for recording music or whatever.

Here's a video how-to

#29 spectre666

spectre666

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

Just FYI, I picked this up for less than $10 from Amazon and it basically turns the TB mic into a USB mic. You have to run your sound like you do through your Xbox (through the red/white composite pass throughs or like me with the TB DSS) NOT through USB.

The only 2 caveats is that the sound is controlled by only the main dial (not a separate volume for main/chat) and the version I got is only outputting mono sound through the mic which is FINE for chatting, but not for recording music or whatever.

Here's a video how-to

Thanks, I toyed around with the idea of doing that, but, I figured it would be a PITA to switch back and fourth between the consoles.

#30 dakid1000

dakid1000

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:05 PM

I bought the F540's as well for the same reason. They are wireless, and work with both systems