Photo
- - - - -

Tritton Ax720 gaming headset $99.99 Amazon,Best Buy

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#31 londonwhitted

londonwhitted

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

great setup for the price. Good sound. The headphone cups seem to hurt my right ear with extended play so i had to give them up.

#32 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:47 PM

great deal.

once again, dobly headphone ("simulated surround") is infinitely better than "true" 5.1. say the tritton ax pro uses 5 tiny drivers that fit in ear cuff to separate sounds. since its so close to your ear, you'll definitely notice the large gaps between the five drivers. its not surround sound, its more like five points and large gaps inbetween. on the other hand, dobly headphone uses changes in frequency/amp to trick your brain into thinking that sound is coming from your environment.

options
mix amp = mix amp 5.8 wireless = roughly same as tritton ax720 >> dss >>> ax pro

the dss is great if you dont notice the hiss. if you can't hear it, then youre golden.

what youre really buying with the ax720 is the box. youre getting a closed headset for free. the cans are decent but the mic is iffy ok. if you want to upgrade, you will just buy better headphones and plug it into your ax720 box (which is equivalent to the mixamp).

but each person's ears are different, so my advice may or may not work for you.

Thats a good post. however, the ax720 box has that funky input, its not directly compatible with standard 3.5 headphone plugs. the axpro decoder is more easily compatible with other headsets.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#33 enufs8d

enufs8d

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:45 AM

paz9x

the volume control breaks off to allow for other headphones with 3.5

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#34 n1c0

n1c0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:57 AM

The 720's decoder really has Mixamp SQ? (So the difference would be build quality?) Will get one if true.

#35 evildeadjedi

evildeadjedi

RIP DIO \m/ \m/

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:02 AM

Nice deal for these.

I had them back in October and liked the sound and mixamp but, they were not comfortable because I have a big skull. So, if you also have a large skull beware you might also find them uncomfortable.

If not, I definitely recommend them because that was the only issue I had with them.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#36 Darkon_X

Darkon_X

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:18 AM

I got the Tritton's AX PROs and they're awesome, but not worth the 170 I paid for them.

If anything they're worth $150, if that.

#37 tropofarmer

tropofarmer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:33 AM

I picked these up a few weeks ago and have been very satisfied. Living in a townhouse I am still wary of really pumping up the volume, but with these I have full 5.1, in a headphone! My head only got sore for wearing them for four hours straight, otherwise they're comfortable. Integrated headset is really nice.

#38 shady859

shady859

Big Blue Nation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:40 AM

I have had the Tritton AXPRos for nearly a year and they are pretty nice although my first and only gaming headset. LOVE hearing footsteps/guns in CoD. Gaming headsets are a must till i buy a house and can crank up a real surrounr! Trittons are very comfy and even my big ass head is cumfy after hours of playing.

If money is no object...... What is the best gaming headset?? I want it for 95% XBL but also be PS3 compatible in case SOCOM sucks me back in..

:D

#39 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:16 AM

Grabbed a pair as well. Thanks OP!
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#40 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:22 AM

I'm going to get this Splitter along with 2 more cables so I don't have a switch inputs all the time. It'll cost around $12.:

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

I'm pretty sure you need a switch, not a splitter. (I could be wrong because I'm kinda tired.) This is what I use and it works well.

[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#41 Pck21

Pck21

Beware the Ides of March

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:58 AM

I'm pretty sure you need a switch, not a splitter. (I could be wrong because I'm kinda tired.) This is what I use and it works well.

You're right. I'm going to need one of those so I don't have to keep manually switching the cable from all of my inputs. Thanks for the heads up!
Currently Playing:

Onlive ID: Hand2Gland - Add Me!

Posted ImagePosted Image

Two wrongs don't make a right, I suppose, but three rights make a left and it makes me feel like the goddamn Batman.

#42 lazyb

lazyb

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:11 AM

nope either will work splitter just adds another step for switching.

EDIT:I meant switch.

Edited by lazyb, 25 February 2011 - 04:56 AM.

Posted Image

#43 salty tbone

salty tbone

Flipmode Squad

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:53 AM

Cool. I'll be the first to admit that I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to optical audio. The description for the splitter is confusing since it reads "If you need to have two source devices go into a single input on a reciever, then you need a switch. In that case try PID# 2946." But then in the reviews people are pointing out that they're using it for exactly that (PS3 and 360 connected to a receiver).

Guess to stay on topic I should say I have the 720s and am very happy with them. Sound is good, I don't wake the dogs playing late at night and the headphones are comfortable on my mailbox-shaped head.
[URL="http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/goozexprofile.asp?id=558134175419"][/URL]

#44 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:22 AM

paz9x

the volume control breaks off to allow for other headphones with 3.5

Posted Image

no shit? i didnt realize that and itll output the simulated surround too. very nice, thanks for the pic too.

Posted Image

#45 ArQuesta

ArQuesta

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:30 AM

I actually just bought these last week and I need to return them. The sound doesn't impress for me, I definitely hear the hiss, and my nice, spherical head ends up hurting after just 10-20 minutes of play. I was very sad since besides that they're pretty nice and feel sturdy. I think the fit might work well for someone with a smaller head, but if you've got a decent-sized melon you may want to buy from BB so you can try them out and return them if you have an issue.

I had been wanting to get a pair of multi-console Turtle Beach at BB but they were out of stock. The sales rep tried to convince me that the box with the Tritton made them wireless but I decided not to break her little heart on the matter. I liked them for $129.99 + a 10% off coupon I had but I think I'm just going to go for a non-surround (Surround sound, as a rule with headsets, makes me hear the hissing sound.) Turtle Beach headset next time.

#46 Over easy

Over easy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:41 AM

The headphones are nice. I picked them up when they were $105 about a month ago. My only problem with them is that it gets uncomfortable after awhile for me, but I generally don't play games over an extended time anyway.
Posted Image

#47 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:38 AM

EDIT:I meant switch.

You'd want to use a switch to connect two sources (like a 360 and PS3) to the decoder; if you use a splitter, I think you'll be unhappy with the results if you have both sources powered on at the same time. I'd recommend a remotely-controlled switch if you can afford it.

Splitters are good for sending the same source to two different places. For example, you can connect the output of your switch to a splitter, and then connect the splitter outputs to both a home theater receiver and a headset decoder.

Thats a good post. however, the ax720 box has that funky input, its not directly compatible with standard 3.5 headphone plugs. the axpro decoder is more easily compatible with other headsets.

I'm pretty sure the AX Pro decoder uses the round multi-pin connectors for the headset, not the usual 3.5 mm jack.

#48 enufs8d

enufs8d

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

I actually just bought these last week and I need to return them. The sound doesn't impress for me, I definitely hear the hiss, and my nice, spherical head ends up hurting after just 10-20 minutes of play. I was very sad since besides that they're pretty nice and feel sturdy. I think the fit might work well for someone with a smaller head, but if you've got a decent-sized melon you may want to buy from BB so you can try them out and return them if you have an issue.

I had been wanting to get a pair of multi-console Turtle Beach at BB but they were out of stock. The sales rep tried to convince me that the box with the Tritton made them wireless but I decided not to break her little heart on the matter. I liked them for $129.99 + a 10% off coupon I had but I think I'm just going to go for a non-surround (Surround sound, as a rule with headsets, makes me hear the hissing sound.) Turtle Beach headset next time.

youre going in the wrong direction! turtle beach and the dss are the same thing. the hiss is significantly worse than the tritton. if your ears are that sensitive then, the only thing better is the astro mixamp (wired version). the wireless 5.8 mixamp has a hiss equivalent to the ax720 box.

either the ax720 box or mixamp, in your case, you will want to upgrade to more comfortable headphones. remember what i said that you're only buying it for the dac/box. once you get a good dobly headphone setup, you can never go back to stereo.

dolbly headphone is more of a i can't wake up the wife/neighbors/etc when im late night gaming.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 freshzen

freshzen

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

I disagree. These have been holding steady for the most past at $129.99 for about a year. I was waiting on them to drop in price for months last year, but gave in and finally bought at $129.99. $99.99 is the lowest I have ever seen them.

This is a very nice headset for the most part. There are better options out there if you have a ton of money to spend. But for those looking for a reasonably priced, excellent sounding 5.1 gaming headset, these are a great option.

Pros:
- Very good sound quality
- 5.1 Surround Sound (Simulated)
- Easy to set up
- Works with Xbox 360, PS3, and PC

Cons:
- Bulky, these things are pretty huge
- Build quality seems a little on the flimsy side
- Wired (although I personally preferred a wired set)

Actually I'm pretty sure you have to fork out an extra $50 to get the 5.1. These AX720s do non-5.1 simulated surround. I wish they were wireless though, that is a total deal breaker.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#50 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

Actually I'm pretty sure you have to fork out an extra $50 to get the 5.1. These AX720s do non-5.1 simulated surround. I wish they were wireless though, that is a total deal breaker.

What's the difference between simulated and non-simulated?

Now playing:

:ps4: Last of Us: Remastered, Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

#51 freshzen

freshzen

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

All surround sound on headphones is simulated, I don't really know what the difference is between 5.1 and non-5.1 though. I just noticed at GS the other day that Tritton's $180 model was the only one that claimed to use 5.1 surround.

Sucks Logitech couldn't have added PS3/360 support for the G930. My old TB X4 hasn't had functional voice chat in almost a year. Thinking I might hold out and see if the PX5 goes on sale for around $200 at launch, but I should probably settle for those F540s.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#52 guardkitty

guardkitty

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

If I purchased these at 129.99 last week, do I need to go back in with my receipt to get a refund of the difference? Or can they look it up with my phone #? I'm waiting to save from driving all the way home and back up to BB

#53 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

I've got $30 in Best Buy credit and am super tempted to go and get these. Any idea when this deal ends?

#54 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:13 PM

I'm pretty sure the AX Pro decoder uses the round multi-pin connectors for the headset, not the usual 3.5 mm jack.

it has 3.5mm center/sub ,front, and surround outputs too.

Posted Image

#55 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

it has 3.5mm center/sub ,front, and surround outputs too.

You're right. My bad. So you could use the AX Pro decoder with a PC speaker system that has 5.1 analog inputs.

#56 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

You're right. My bad. So you could use the AX Pro decoder with a PC speaker system that has 5.1 analog inputs.

no worries, they dont make headsets purchases easy. yes you could use it that way.

Posted Image

#57 The1stMJC

The1stMJC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

I love my Ax720's and highly recommend them. I use them for my PS3, PC, and have them hooked up to my Direct TV receiver. Maybe I will grab a 2nd headset since the box has two outlets.

Follow Me On Twitter: @The1stMJC

Posted Image

#58 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:19 AM

Went out and got these today at Best Buy. Figured I better do it before the deal expires tomorrow. I can always return them if I don't like them or if I discover I need the money for something else.

#59 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:26 AM

Went out and got these today at Best Buy. Figured I better do it before the deal expires tomorrow. I can always return them if I don't like them or if I discover I need the money for something else.

woohoo. fire them shits up.

Posted Image

#60 n1c0

n1c0

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:35 AM

Just picked up a pair today at that price, play through a bit of Killzone 3. Really good directional sounds, the microphonics/"hissing" is there, but once you actually play something on it, it becomes far less noticeable. Pretty sure the microphonics isn't coming from the box, but rather the loooong in-line wire.

The cans sounds a bit hollow though, not sure if it's because of the source not being 5.1, or if I simply haven't done enough burn-in yet.