Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Official Collector's Edition Compilation thread (Latest: Grand Theft Auto V CE/SE)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5516 replies to this topic

#91 StripesOrBars

StripesOrBars

Posted 01 March 2011 - 01:14 AM

amazing thread.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#92 RabbitSuit

RabbitSuit

CAG Newbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:46 AM

This is probably old news, but if you haven't checked your local GS stores lately, they might have some Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (limited edition) games for 29.99 still.

Drop happened a long time ago, but I just came across it on their website and apparently three stores in my area still have copies.

Yes! I am in a signature! :applause:

#93 htown01

htown01

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:19 AM

Here you go another one to add (maybe for a limited time only):

Thanks to dragonxeric at SD who found this:

Capcom.com has both :360: & :ps3: versions of Marvel vs Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds back in stock ($69.99)

:360: version
:ps3: version

EDIT: I read in the other thread that people were not getting FS. I added 1 version of the game to the cart but it showed $5.70. I added another one to the quantity and it now shows FS. So I went to the homepage and saw this
Posted Image
So it is FS on orders $100 or more.

Also if you sign up for their newsletter you get a 10% off your next purchase code
Posted Image
You can see those 2 banners at the store homepage.

Edited by htown01, 01 March 2011 - 07:59 AM.

#94 Urahara

Urahara

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

People are going to post them here anyway, and have done so. I actually asked shrike before posting this and he said it'd be okay to post it in this section.

I'm glad you're doing it. Thanks.

#95 Fatbot3

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

Thinking about it more, it seems odd that Killzone 3 didn't get a similar move bundle. It's said to have one of the best Move implementations available, particularly with the Sharpshooter gun. And I'd imagine KZ3 is more appealing to a wider audience than SOCOM 4 will be.

If anything they could have sold the bundle for both games.

I totally agree, I was seriously considering getting the SOCOM bundle simply for the savings and the gun but I don't need the camera.

My hope is to get a 3D tv when they have a decent 32 inch on the market and go all out with the game and the gun.

#96 Jbyrd117

Jbyrd117

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:39 PM

is this thread going to track the price drops of collectors/limited editions? I'm more interested in those. I'd rather pay 30 dollars instead of 100 haha

#97 ryan9928

ryan9928

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for this thread. I had no idea about the Socom move bundle. I pre-ordered it since I had been wanting a Move anyways.

#98 tridon

tridon

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:11 PM

I have the Kollector's Edition of Mortal Kombat pre-ordered but that's only because I have get the Kollector's Editions for MK games. Personally, I'm getting kinda sick and tired of these "new" special editions. I miss the days of collectible packaging, making-of DVDs and soundtracks (on disc, not digital). It very rare that you receive something like that these days.

In the case of Mortal Kombat, I bought the Premium Pack for Deception, the Steelbook Kollector's Edition of Armageddon and the Kollector's Edition of Versus DC Universe. Now with this new title, you get a plain-Jane case accompanied by useless junk like statues and art books. I know certain people love that kind of stuff but I just don't have the room for mini books, statues and giant-ass busts of characters' heads.

I look at the special editions being released in the UK lately and I'm completely envious. Their MK is coming with a Steelbook... their LittleBigPlanet2 and Killzone 3's came with Steelbooks... hell, look at that awesome F.3.A.R. set that's coming out over there.

One of the last special editions that I purchased was God of War III. I thought it was awesome that it was coming with Pandora's Box. I was definitely disappointed when I opened up the packaging to see a cheap plastic box with a felty liner that left little dust particles all over the place. Other than that, I bought the special edition for Castlevania because of the awesome packaging with a soundtrack on disc and LittleBigPlanet2 because my girlfriend wanted the Sackboy stuffie (which ended up being super tiny with a deformed head). I'd really like to start seeing special editions again that feature style over substance!

EDIT: The SOCOM set is amazing, though. Yes, it features regular packaging but the deal that you get for everything that comes with it is incredible. If I didn't already own a PS3 EYE and a Move, I'd be all over it! If you don't have the Move and accessories yet, this is the set that you need to buy. Your wallet will thank you in the long run!

#99 Ionotropic

Ionotropic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

The DNF Balls of Steel is back in stock at Amazon.

#100 Dark Lord Greg

Dark Lord Greg

The Urban Legend

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

The DNF Balls of Steel is back in stock at Amazon.

I don't know why but I want it, not sure if I will end up getting it though

Dark+Lord+Greg.png

#101 Callidus

Callidus

Collectaholic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:22 PM

I don't know why but I want it, not sure if I will end up getting it though

This is one of those games that I've been wanting since it was announced... like 12 years ago. lol

After a dozen years worth of delays, cancellations, bankruptcies, and vaporware talk I still don't think I'll be able to convince myself that the game actually got finished until I have it in my hands.

#102 Fatbot3

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

I look at the special editions being released in the UK lately and I'm completely envious. Their MK is coming with a Steelbook... their LittleBigPlanet2 and Killzone 3's came with Steelbooks... hell, look at that awesome F.3.A.R. set that's coming out over there.

One of the last special editions that I purchased was God of War III. I thought it was awesome that it was coming with Pandora's Box. I was definitely disappointed when I opened up the packaging to see a cheap plastic box with a felty liner that left little dust particles all over the place. Other than that, I bought the special edition for Castlevania because of the awesome packaging with a soundtrack on disc and LittleBigPlanet2 because my girlfriend wanted the Sackboy stuffie (which ended up being super tiny with a deformed head). I'd really like to start seeing special editions again that feature style over substance!

EDIT: The SOCOM set is amazing, though. Yes, it features regular packaging but the deal that you get for everything that comes with it is incredible. If I didn't already own a PS3 EYE and a Move, I'd be all over it! If you don't have the Move and accessories yet, this is the set that you need to buy. Your wallet will thank you in the long run!

Pretty much agree with all of this. I'd rather have a steelbook than a plastic figure any day of the week or a book that actually expands the universe/experience (e.g. Alan Wake, Halo Reach) rather than just gives me something i have to put in the attic.

#103 Callidus

Callidus

Collectaholic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:41 PM

Pretty much agree with all of this. I'd rather have a steelbook than a plastic figure any day of the week or a book that actually expands the universe/experience (e.g. Alan Wake, Halo Reach) rather than just gives me something i have to put in the attic.

Ditto. I'd also gladly pay a premium for something that is actually limited.

#104 Fatbot3

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:48 PM

Absolutely, I can't think of any LE's that even fit that though. I guess Tales of Vesperia and Demon Souls but nothing that was advertised as 50k or less units which I think would count as limited.

#105 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:01 PM

Tales of Vesperia SE, Mass Effect 1 LE, Mass Effect 2 CE and Bioshock 1 CE are ones that fit that category for recent stuff. We also have MGS 3 Subsistence CE as well for older stuff.

There's been more than a few CE/LE packages that haven't been worth the full price investment:
Halo 3 Legendary
Halo Reach Legendary
SW: TFU 2 CE
Dead Rising 2 CE

If the price drops on the item within 3-6 months after release and you can still get it without much issue at a cheaper price, then it wasn't worth the initial buy-in at full price.

#106 Callidus

Callidus

Collectaholic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

Tales of Vesperia SE, Mass Effect 1 LE, Mass Effect 2 CE and Bioshock 1 CE are ones that fit that category for recent stuff. We also have MGS 3 Subsistence CE as well for older stuff.

There's been more than a few CE/LE packages that haven't been worth the full price investment:
Halo 3 Legendary
Halo Reach Legendary
Dead Rising 2 CE

If the price drops on the item within 3-6 months after release and you can still get it without much issue at a cheaper price, then it wasn't worth the initial buy-in at full price.

Yep. The only one of those first ones that I am still hunting for for my collection is the MGS Subsistence CE. I've got Vesperia, ME 1 & 2, Bioshock 1, and Demon's Souls.

For the most part, I've given up buying CE/LEs at launch. The money that can be saved by waiting for clearance on the vast majority of them far outweighs the cost of having to pay a reseller premium for the few that wind up being rare. The only exceptions for me are those games that I really want to play at launch.

#107 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

Halo 3 Legendary
Halo Reach Legendary
Dead Rising 2 CE

But how do u know when they first come out if it's going to be rare?
It's sad that now these days almost every game LE/CE is standard and not really a collector item. Well, besides the list above and the hunter edition.

#108 Fatbot3

Fatbot3

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:18 PM

Halo 3 Legendary
Halo Reach Legendary
Dead Rising 2 CE

I sold both the Bioshock CE and Subsistance CE because I didn't care for ANY of the extras.

I'd like to get Tales but can't stomach the going price most of the time.

Also I can't think of a single $100 CE that's been worth it at MSRP though I've bought many at clearance.

#109 Callidus

Callidus

Collectaholic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:27 PM

It's sad that now these days almost every game LE/CE is standard and not really a collector item. Well, besides the list above and the hunter edition.

The AvP Hunter Edition can be picked up relatively cheap too. Here's an eBay auction selling a few unopened ones for about $45 shipped.

#110 The Punisher

The Punisher

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

The AvP Hunter Edition can be picked up relatively cheap too. Here's an eBay auction selling a few unopened ones for about $45 shipped.

That CE is not great. U can find the reg edition for pc at five below.

#111 Brenex

Brenex

Cobra Commander

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the head's up on Duke Nukem being back in stock at amazon. Transferring my preoder from GS to there since I have amazon credit and their is free release day shipping (if I do decide to get it.) I also didn't know that if you preorder on amazon you get access to the demo like the code that came with Borderlands GoTY edition. GS sure didn't send me anything when I preordered there :/ .
Posted Image

#112 Callidus

Callidus

Collectaholic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for the head's up on Duke Nukem being back in stock at amazon. Transferring my preoder from GS to there since I have amazon credit and their is free release day shipping (if I do decide to get it.) I also didn't know that if you preorder on amazon you get access to the demo like the code that came with Borderlands GoTY edition. GS sure didn't send me anything when I preordered there :/ .

I got an e-mail with the First Access Code from GS when I pre-ordered it there. Took a few days but it showed up.

#113 Brenex

Brenex

Cobra Commander

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

I preordered Sunday and still haven't heard back. Not really worried about it, I try to keep my business with them to a minimum. Also I preordered online for in-store pickup if that has anything to do with it.
Posted Image

#114 Purkeynator

Purkeynator

Cheap before it was cool

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

There's no way of knowing really. The strategy I've adopted it to wait a few weeks after launch and see how available the item is. If I can still find it online and see it in stores, I will hold off until a major clearance. If it seems to be out of stock everywhere I will start searching for it. But that is risky too. I waited a few weeks on the Mario All Stars bundle and it actually sold out everywhere fast. But as luck would have it, a reprint!

Another strategy I've adopted is to buy the Limted, Special, Collector's edition and sell off the game, disc only for nearly retail price and keep the goodies. I will then wait until the game is dirt cheap and pick it up in a buy 2 get 1 free deal at Gamestop. Then it doesn't matter to me if the game comes without the box and instructions because I already have them.
trade list (mostly guides with a few boxes and manuals)
http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=44132

#115 Jankee

Jankee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

My early entry code printed on my receipt when I pre-ordered it at GS. Amazon doesnt show a pre-order bonus while GS has Duke's Big Package - http://www.dukenukem.com/preorder/

#116 xDerekRx

xDerekRx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

Pre-ordered a couple of Dukes BOS at GS. Im worried these might actually hold limited. I know LEs these days are BS but speculation that they are going to stop pre-orders soon makes me wonder. Also the fact that it comes with a numbered certificate inside is nice for limited proof.

#117 DarkonJohn

DarkonJohn

Growing backlog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

Pre-ordered a couple of Dukes BOS at GS. Im worried these might actually hold limited. I know LEs these days are BS but speculation that they are going to stop pre-orders soon makes me wonder. Also the fact that it comes with a numbered certificate inside is nice for limited proof.

I wouldn't bet on these being too limited because while they quickly went OOS at Amazon, they are now back in stock. And they have remained in stock at GS since they went on sale.

My personal experience has been that it's fine to buy an LE if you want it for yourself, it's a loser's game trying to buy LE's to make a profit later. You might get lucky once in a while, but overall you'll lose money because most LE's get produced in fairly high volumes and end up getting discounted below retail.

#118 Ionotropic

Ionotropic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

Gamestop has a preorder bonus with a big head mode, extra ego, and some in-game T-shirt. Walmart preorder bonus is a DNF trucker hat (physical item that you can wear IRL). Amazon preorder bonus is basically nothing, aside from early access demo code.

#119 xDerekRx

xDerekRx

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:58 PM

I wouldn't bet on these being too limited because while they quickly went OOS at Amazon, they are now back in stock. And they have remained in stock at GS since they went on sale.

My personal experience has been that it's fine to buy an LE if you want it for yourself, it's a loser's game trying to buy LE's to make a profit later. You might get lucky once in a while, but overall you'll lose money because most LE's get produced in fairly high volumes and end up getting discounted below retail.

Its hit or miss actually. Ive been at the game for a while and you can kinda feel it out.

In fact sometimes its good to at least pre-order it, feel the demand the first week and if not just refund your pre-order.

This is coming from someone how pre-ordered Dead Space 1 LE (only 1000 copies) when most on CAG scoffed at it. Also pre-ordered Demons Souls CE. Both of which I still own sealed.

As the years go on they LE becomes less limited, true. But I always hold out hope with each pre-order.

Im definitely getting 1 Duke for myself. Been waiting for this game since 1997. But the whole numbered certificate thing to me is really intriguing. This way we will have some sort of proof of how many exist. (and its hard to cheat and duplicate the same number since people will likely find out)

#120 Kandal

Kandal

Can't Handle Kandal

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:00 PM

oh man!! infamous 2 hero edition!! *drools*
Posted Image
My PSN CAG Sharing Group 6
My Playstation 3
My Buy/Sell/Trade List IF YOU PM ME, Please GIVE ME A BUMP on my TRADE LIST!