Catherine (PS3/360) Discussion - Out Now!

PrinnyOtaku

CAGiversary!
Feedback
94 (100%)
Official site: http://www.catherinethegame.com/

360 vs. PS3 Comparison screenshots:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/ps360/archives/51675117.html

Frame-rates and image quality are said to be all but identical in both versions, with the only difference being the somewhat superior quality of the PS3 version’s anime scenes.
"Love is Over" Deluxe Edition $79.99 MSRP, includes:

"Empty T-Shirt"
"Vincent's Boxers"
"Pillowcase"
"Stray Sheep Pizza Box"

Details here:
catherine_faithful_loveisoveredition_1_alt.jpg

PS3 Deluxe: http://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Lov..._2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1304365028&sr=1-2

360 Deluxe: http://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Lov..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1304365233&sr=1-1

All copies of the game, Deluxe Edition or not will include a 36-page artbook and a soundtrack featuring mixes of classical music.

Pre-order and get the Catherine Sound Disc and Art Book. The 36-page, full-color art book measures 5.25" x 6.75" x 1.3” and is packed with the beautiful character designs of artist Shigenori Soejima. The 11-track music CD features the best musical themes of the game specially remixed by composer Shoji Meguro. Both the Sound Disc and Art Book will be included in the shipment.
Tracklist and artbook cover:
cover.jpg

1. Holst - Planets Suite
2. Beethoven - Symphony No. 5 in C minor Fate 3rd Movement
3. Bach - Little Fugue in G minor
4. Dvorak - Symphony No. 9 in E minor From the New World
5. Rossini - William Tell Overture Part 2
6. Borodin - Polovtsian Dances
7. Mussorgsky - Pictures at an Exhibition
8. Bizet - L'Arlesienne Second Suite
9. Chopin - Revolutionary Etude
10. Handel - Messiah Hallelujah Chorus
11. Chopin - Piano Sonata No. 2

Arranged by Shoji Meguro

Standard Edition (Currently $57.99 on Amazon) - There are also alternate cover art versions up

360: http://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Xbo..._2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1304365142&sr=1-2

360 Alternate: http://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Alt...5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1288975111&sr=1-15

PS3: http://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Xbo..._2?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1304365142&sr=1-2

PS3 Alternate: http://www.amazon.com/Catherine-Alt..._9?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1304365142&sr=1-9

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Drclaw411']is this an adventure game, an RPG, or is it really just a game with a sex gimmick?[/QUOTE]
Adventure/Puzzle from the looks of it, I didn't find out about the Demo until the day after it came off of the PSN, so I never played it.

[quote name='Drclaw411']not gonna happen :/

http://www.psu.com/No-US-release-planned-for-Catherine,-says-Atlus--a010804-p0.php[/QUOTE]

No plans at this time does not mean not coming out ever. It's PR speak for "we're not ready to make an announcement at this time." That doesn't mean that it will come out, but it doesn't mean that it won't either.

The mods on the Atlus forums are backpedaling on that statement, stating more or less what I said above.

[quote name='thelonepig']No plans at this time does not mean not coming out ever. It's PR speak for "we're not ready to make an announcement at this time." That doesn't mean that it will come out, but it doesn't mean that it won't either.

The mods on the Atlus forums are backpedaling on that statement, stating more or less what I said above.[/QUOTE]
Though it seems awfully weird they would say no plans, while emailing the consumer base of their games teasing plans.

Never know, they took a chance on Demon's Souls and it worked out well for them. Based on the trailer it looks bizarre enough that it could get some traction.

This has been thrown around in a few Catherine forums. Anyway, do want.
--------
[quote name='Destructoid']

Do you prefer Japanese voiceovers with subtitles rather than the typically localized English voiceovers? A Japanese gaming publisher really wants to know.

It is my pleasure to bring you an exclusive Destructoid survey conducted in partnership with a major Japanese company. We are looking to conduct a relatively informal survey and open conversation on the topic of Japanese titles (especially those that have never made it to North America). At the heart of it they're curious if a product remaining somewhat pure to its Japanese roots might be better received by serious J-gamers in the States. Your answers will be DIRECTLY influencing a significant decision on an upcoming title.

CLICK HERE TO BEGIN THE SURVEY
[/quote]

Destructoid

Been wanting this since I heard about it. Then I played the demo and yea defintely day one buy for me. Persona + Puzzle game sign me up.

[quote name='Supplice']This has been thrown around in a few Catherine forums. Anyway, do want.
--------

Destructoid[/QUOTE]

really it should be
1. dub
or
2. dub and sub

as sony would not allow dub only games to get disc release (yakuza is exception)

The only thing that worries me about the game is that I think it's not a full Persona-like game. I don't know if it's even an RPG (I could be wrong, I didn't get to play the demo). So if it's really a huge anime movie with some puzzles thrown in between cutscenes, then it probably wouldn't do very well in the US.

Now, if the game were bundled in with limited-edition copies of an unannounced Persona 5, that would be a better idea for Atlus.

[quote name='jh6269']The only thing that worries me about the game is that I think it's not a full Persona-like game. I don't know if it's even an RPG (I could be wrong, I didn't get to play the demo). So if it's really a huge anime movie with some puzzles thrown in between cutscenes, then it probably wouldn't do very well in the US.

Now, if the game were bundled in with limited-edition copies of an unannounced Persona 5, that would be a better idea for Atlus.[/QUOTE]

My impressions from the demo/trailers is that it appears there is a hub world of sorts, being the bar. You can move around, talk to people, play one of the arcade games, and interact with the jukebox. You also get calls and texts to your cellphone from the K/Catherines and others. How you answer will help to determine your ending.

The nightmare is the gameplay time. You are tasked to climb a tower as fast as possible while a nightmarish creature climbs the tower, trying to kill you. Tower climbing is accomplished by moving blocks and avoiding obstacles (and other sheep).

So it's really quite similar to Persona. Daytime = Social Link. Night time = Tartarus/Gameplay.

[quote name='thelonepig']You can move around, talk to people, play one of the arcade games, and interact with the jukebox. You also get calls and texts to your cellphone from the K/Catherines and others. How you answer will help to determine your ending.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, you're right. Well, maybe it will do well if it's released here. I know I'd buy it even if it were just an anime movie with minigames in between...

Oh my god, the internet needs to SHUT THE fuck UP about this "not getting localized." All that happened was some no-name website emailed them, they replied with a standard PR email saying nothing is planned YET, the retarded website claims this is a confirmation that it's not being localized, and the internet goes apeshit. IT'S COMING. Jesus Christ internet. I am so sick of this shit. This is not fucking Scamco we are talking about here.

If I hear one more gullible dipshit saying "IT'S NOT COMING OMG" especially with the two Catherine-colored emails they've sent out....

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Oh my god, the internet needs to SHUT THE fuck UP about this "not getting localized." All that happened was some no-name website emailed them, they replied with a standard PR email saying nothing is planned YET, the retarded website claims this is a confirmation that it's not being localized, and the internet goes apeshit. IT'S COMING. Jesus Christ internet. I am so sick of this shit. This is not fucking Scamco we are talking about here.

If I hear one more gullible dipshit saying "IT'S NOT COMING OMG" especially with the two Catherine-colored emails they've sent out....[/QUOTE]

But, it's teh internets, overreacting is part of the game!

Yes, seriously, I never even heard of beefjack before this fiasco. Which is probably why they did this in the first place, traffic to their site. Though, I don't think a lot of people will be visiting the site after this.

To the internet's defense, an Atlus representative did make a similar statement about having no plans to localize Catherine during a podcast.

[quote name='thelonepig']To the internet's defense, an Atlus representative did make a similar statement about having no plans to localize Catherine during a podcast.[/QUOTE]

They'll announce it when they're ready. Again, after these two emails there is no way they aren't going to announce it shortly. Atlus USA pretty much never announces things for US release until after the Japanese version has been released (DS Overclocked a recent exception), but they do end up localizing nearly everything their Japanese arm releases. Catherine has been out for all a week in Japan. They aren't fucking NOA or Scamco so I'm not sure why people have so little faith in this being released here.

Oh, I agree with you. I'm just pointing out that the no-name site wasn't the only spot that the statement was made. All in all, it's just as you said: PR speak for we're not ready to announce it yet.

[quote name='Bezerker']The US version has had a release date of June since November.[/QUOTE]

Is that official? Have a source to back that up? I find that hard to believe considering Atlus themselves going on record saying they have no plans as of now to release it here.

It's unofficial. Atlus hasn't even announced the game for a US release yet. The only site I've seen that actually has the June 1 listing is estarland.

So, not counting Catherine, when do you think the next Persona game will come out? I mean Persona 5. Surely they must be working on it. I know they're working on Innocent Sin Persona 2 (lord I hope that comes to NA) and maybe even Persona 4 for PSP, but when do you think we'll get Persona 5 for PS3 or NGP?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Oh my god, the internet needs to SHUT THE fuck UP about this "not getting localized." All that happened was some no-name website emailed them, they replied with a standard PR email saying nothing is planned YET, the retarded website claims this is a confirmation that it's not being localized, and the internet goes apeshit. IT'S COMING. Jesus Christ internet. I am so sick of this shit. This is not fucking Scamco we are talking about here.

If I hear one more gullible dipshit saying "IT'S NOT COMING OMG" especially with the two Catherine-colored emails they've sent out....[/QUOTE]

Read N4G. They spread shit everywhere they go. I blame them. And Kotaku.

The folks on the Atlus USA forum have got to be the easiest people to troll. The slightest possibility of Catherine not coming stateside made the Catherine thread explode with hate, threats, flames and counterflames.

Atlus's next email really should be Coolface.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']They'll announce it when they're ready. Again, after these two emails there is no way they aren't going to announce it shortly. Atlus USA pretty much never announces things for US release until after the Japanese version has been released (DS Overclocked a recent exception), but they do end up localizing nearly everything their Japanese arm releases. Catherine has been out for all a week in Japan. They aren't fucking NOA or Scamco so I'm not sure why people have so little faith in this being released here.[/QUOTE]

I was going to make the obligatory PMS comment here (because of that last post before this one) but I won't since I don't want to be rude, but man take it down a notch, I didn't go meltdown over the web idiocy when Atlus were being cockteases before they announced Persona FES/4 and DS2, they like screwing with their fans so they can gauge interest and support for the games they release (especially niche games like this) to see if it will be profitable enough for them to work out some deal to make it work.

Catherine will get here when they feel like releasing it, and with the JPN sales being massive (beating MVC 3 for goodness sake) there is demand, so they'd be stupid not to release it in some form over here. Not a matter of if, but when, as always.

As far as Namco and the Tales games you have my sympathies, but I could care less about what they release one way or another, with no new Klonoa or Mr. Driller coming out they've been dead to me for years let alone when the newest Tales game is announced (at least they're doing one, so be thankful for that).

And Nintendo just needs to get its head out of its @$$ and release Last Story and Xenoblade, period. Zelda and the 3DS ain't gonna float them for an entire year, and that's all I have to say about that cluster f'k situation.

[quote name='jh6269']So, not counting Catherine, when do you think the next Persona game will come out? I mean Persona 5. Surely they must be working on it. I know they're working on Innocent Sin Persona 2 (lord I hope that comes to NA) and maybe even Persona 4 for PSP, but when do you think we'll get Persona 5 for PS3 or NGP?[/QUOTE]

SMT 4 was the next rumored title to be on their plate, so I wouldn't expect to see anything on P5 for a long while. (and personally I'd prefer to see some other SMT games come out first, I still haven't bothered to play FES or 4 since I'm still burned out from my dungeon crawling in 3, yes three years later, I still have little interest in finishing up those two games)

I'm just sad its taken Atlus this long to get their new game engine up and running, at the moment they're a year behind schedule of when they started releasing their PS2 RPG's, I know this cycle is going 10 years, but they are cutting their available development time for this cycle down considerably by being so slow in getting the games out.

[quote name='uncle5555']SMT 4 was the next rumored title to be on their plate, so I wouldn't expect to see anything on P5 for a long while. (and personally I'd prefer to see some other SMT games come out first, I still haven't bothered to play FES or 4 since I'm still burned out from my dungeon crawling in 3, yes three years later, I still have little interest in finishing up those two games)

I'm just sad its taken Atlus this long to get their new game engine up and running, at the moment they're a year behind schedule of when they started releasing their PS2 RPG's, I know this cycle is going 10 years, but they are cutting their available development time for this cycle down considerably by being so slow in getting the games out.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm totally new to the SMT series (as shameful as that is). I never had a PlayStation prior to PS3, and I just got my PSP when GoW:GoS came out. So, I'm not up to speed on when to expect new titles and such. I do know that Atlus has been pumping out a lot of games, or at least publishing a lot of games. They have that weird Rock of Ages thing coming out, they did 3D Dot Game Heroes and Demon's Souls. They put P3P out and they did/are doing P2P:Innocent Sin. Then they have that devil survivor game coming out on the 3DS. Also they've had a number of other PSP games like that Knights in the Nightmare. And while they were doing all of that, they got Catherine out in Japan and are hopefully localizing that now for NA/EU. So I'm just wondering when P5 fits into the time-line and will it be on the PS3 or the PSP/NGP. I'm pretty sure they're using these portable versions to reinvigorate interest in the Persona series, so I'm hoping this is leading to a new game.

[quote name='uncle5555']

SMT 4 was the next rumored title to be on their plate, so I wouldn't expect to see anything on P5 for a long while. (and personally I'd prefer to see some other SMT games come out first, I still haven't bothered to play FES or 4 since I'm still burned out from my dungeon crawling in 3, yes three years later, I still have little interest in finishing up those two games)
[/QUOTE]
I thought Strange Journey was SMT4.

[quote name='uncle5555']SMT 4 was the next rumored title to be on their plate, so I wouldn't expect to see anything on P5 for a long while. (and personally I'd prefer to see some other SMT games come out first, I still haven't bothered to play FES or 4 since I'm still burned out from my dungeon crawling in 3, yes three years later, I still have little interest in finishing up those two games).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I thought Strange Journey was SMT4.[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='DoubleEcksZero']Though it seems awfully weird they would say no plans, while emailing the consumer base of their games teasing plans.[/QUOTE]

Maybe they are trolling us...

Not officially, no. In development they were considering it, but they ended up not making it #4.

I think Atlus is doing an amazing job with such fanbase. During a Radiant Historia streaming they were asked questions about Catherine multiple times.

[quote name='jh6269']Thanks. I'm totally new to the SMT series (as shameful as that is). I never had a PlayStation prior to PS3, and I just got my PSP when GoW:GoS came out. So, I'm not up to speed on when to expect new titles and such. I do know that Atlus has been pumping out a lot of games, or at least publishing a lot of games. They have that weird Rock of Ages thing coming out, they did 3D Dot Game Heroes and Demon's Souls. They put P3P out and they did/are doing P2P:Innocent Sin. Then they have that devil survivor game coming out on the 3DS. Also they've had a number of other PSP games like that Knights in the Nightmare. And while they were doing all of that, they got Catherine out in Japan and are hopefully localizing that now for NA/EU. So I'm just wondering when P5 fits into the time-line and will it be on the PS3 or the PSP/NGP. I'm pretty sure they're using these portable versions to reinvigorate interest in the Persona series, so I'm hoping this is leading to a new game.[/QUOTE]

Sorry guess I wasn't specific enough, what I meant was Atlus JPN. (Not Atlus US as publisher, since they localize a lot of 3rd party software in addition to their self publishing stuff of their JPN branch)

They finished up P4, went into the Persona PSP remake, then did P3 remake, are finishing up the P2:IS remake and are working on P2:EP as well, they did the 2 DS games as well as the enhanced port of Devil Survivor for 3DS. So I don't mean for it to sound like they've not been doing anything, just not focusing a lot of their efforts into full blown console work until all of those other projects were put to bed and that's why we were getting a slow trickle of stuff until now.

I'm sure they'll get around to a version of P5, and depending on how their other titles sell, (and on what platform) that'll be the gauge as to where it will find its new home when they get around to developing it, but I'd say a console since they haven't done a first release of any of the big name games on a handheld first.

It was suppose to be, but they didn't eventually go that route with it. Here is the official answer:

Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey producer Kazuma Kaneko has confirmed what fans of the series have been thinking for awhile. It looks like Strange Journey really was going to be the 4th entry in the main Shin Megami Tensei series. Eventually, the team decided to stray from calling it the 4th entry due to the location and setting in general. The reason to move to a unique setting was to better appeal to all types of people, no matter where they live. Looks like localization is already being thought of!

AND

Yesterday, this appeared: http://megamisj.atlusnet.jp/arthur/index.html

It's a Creator's Corner where Kaneko (Lord Emperor) and Ishida (director) talk about the various aspects of Strange Journey. I didn't want to post at first because it's all Japanese and but..... I decided to anyway just to make some people SADDER! :lol

Kaneko says that originally, this was indeed SMT4. It is SMT4 for all intents and purposes as a SMT game. Except, SMT1-3 all took place in Tokyo, and because this takes on a different location and setting, he felt it would be more fitting to just give it a different title. He also mentions why it does not take place in Tokyo. For someone living in Tokyo, the original games will have a strong impact geographically because it's their home city and this is a "what if" situation revolving around that. But for people who live in other countries, far away from Tokyo, it would not have the same impact and they might feel left out. So he decided to create a scenario and setting where everyone can appreciate and feel connected in a more similar way.

So when it's all said and done, I'd expect SMT 4 to still show up as a separate game, irregardless of what has been said about Strange Journey being SMT4. (So it's arguable, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that SMT 4 will be the next console version and they won't call it SMT 5, heck there already is a SMT Nine, so...:whistle2:# )

So I was reading Joystiq, in the comments about their latest Catherine post, and one person was saying there are a lot of sex scenes and stuff. Does anyone know if this is really true? I don't know what's worse, not getting the game, or getting a heavily censored version :(

[quote name='jh6269']So I was reading Joystiq, in the comments about their latest Catherine post, and one person was saying there are a lot of sex scenes and stuff. Does anyone know if this is really true? I don't know what's worse, not getting the game, or getting a heavily censored version :([/QUOTE]
Definitely worried about censored versions.... Well, of course, provided that we're getting it here first, lol.

I heard that the game is brutally difficult, there's a patch for the Japanese version? I don't know if I want to import a difficult game.

My understanding from the game is that there are sex scenes, but that there is no nudity. Whether or not that is correct remains to be seen, but it is rated Cero C in Japan, which is essentially 15+. There is also Cero D (17+) and Cero Z (18+).

[quote name='62t']If we can get Heavy Rain I don't see why Catherine have to be censor[/QUOTE]

Heavy rain was censored. 17+ year old people MUST NOT SEE VAGINA.

[quote name='thelonepig']My understanding from the game is that there are sex scenes, but that there is no nudity. Whether or not that is correct remains to be seen, but it is rated Cero C in Japan, which is essentially 15+. There is also Cero D (17+) and Cero Z (18+).[/QUOTE]

Correct it would have been rated Z if it had heavy adult content. More like innuendos abound, maybe nipple, but I don't see Atlus as pushing the boundaries for this game by sexualizing it too much. (aka it's not going to be a hentai game, if that's what you're thinking) Plus what I've seen from previews and the demo lead me to believe it's going to be innuendo laden more than anything else. ;)

According to Gamestop, Catherine is indeed geared for a domestic release this summer. :drool: ( Webpage has been subsequently pulled until an official announcement from Atlus )

picture.php

bread's done
Back