could you recommend a good xbox headset under $50

cerberez

CAGiversary!
Hi, I'm pretty disappointed with the voice quality of the headset that came with my xbox. I want my voice to come through better, and I don't want to be totally enclosed.

Can you think of a good one?

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']Not for under $50. Base Turtle Beach XBox stereo headset (x11) is $60-$70 new.[/QUOTE]

cool. I was looking for a one-ear one (I don't want to get too engrossed), but I'll think about that! thanks.

ps it's 48.38 new, shipping with prime at amazon. Sounds like a deal!

I love my surround sound so I like to have the one ear headset so I am waiting on the Turtle Beach xc1 that should be coming out soon.

Turtle Beach xc1 is your guy just wait a month or two. My Microsoft wireless died so I'm waiting for this mic myself.

if youre concerned only with your voice quality, you can get a headset adapter off ebay for about $3 and use any standalone pc mic that has a 3.5 jack.

I'll go ahead and ask this here since I may be in the market for a headset soon myself. But for the turtle beaches, do they all have surround sound? Also wondering if they would work with my pc as well as my 360 or no.

The X11 is only stereo, but works great for PC and 360 (as long as you don't mind stereo-only!). The X11 is wired (not a good thing or a bad thing, just a thing). I think the X11 is the best bet unless you spend significantly more - I got a set for $45 last year, and they've definitely ticked my value-for-money box, but Lugi mentions the XC1 in this thread - are those the replacements? Might be worth waiting to see how good those are.

There are those "upgrade-stereo-headphones-to-surround" adaptor things for about $60, which are an option for a possible future upgrade if you don't have the cash for surround today. Reviews are a bit mixed but rarely negative.

Finally, an option for cheap surround headphones: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-51-surround-sound-headphones - perhaps combine this with paz9x's suggestion for a microphone adaptor? ;)

[quote name='PenguinJim']The X11 is only stereo, but works great for PC and 360 (as long as you don't mind stereo-only!). The X11 is wired (not a good thing or a bad thing, just a thing). I think the X11 is the best bet unless you spend significantly more - I got a set for $45 last year, and they've definitely ticked my value-for-money box, but Lugi mentions the XC1 in this thread - are those the replacements? Might be worth waiting to see how good those are.

There are those "upgrade-stereo-headphones-to-surround" adaptor things for about $60, which are an option for a possible future upgrade if you don't have the cash for surround today. Reviews are a bit mixed but rarely negative.

Finally, an option for cheap surround headphones: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-51-surround-sound-headphones - perhaps combine this with paz9x's suggestion for a microphone adaptor? ;)[/QUOTE]

no offense, but youre better off getting a decent set of stereo headphones. theres no way to easily make that setup work on a console either, also the possibility of those sounding anything close to amazing is non-existent.

Depends on whether you want a headset to hear the game and chat or just the chat........but by saying your willing to spend up towards $50 im assuming you want both so I would say try and get a Trutle Beach X1.........not surround sound or wireless but sturdy and works battery free....use mine daily now for well over a year and I havent had a single hickup with it once. Im sure you can score one for under $50.....just look around

[quote name='vlad86']Depends on whether you want a headset to hear the game and chat or just the chat........but by saying your willing to spend up towards $50 im assuming you want both so I would say try and get a Trutle Beach X1.........not surround sound or wireless but sturdy and works battery free....use mine daily now for well over a year and I havent had a single hickup with it once. Im sure you can score one for under $50.....just look around[/QUOTE]

I need new headphones to replace my X1s. I have never liked the sound in these things. They are fine for game only as long as it's not game dialogue which comes through very quiet and hard to hear. Listening to other players and the mic worked for a few weeks and then died. I heard a crack and that was it. I returned them, 2nd and 3rd set did the same thing. I am done with these crappy headphones.

I'm interested in the MS Warheads but they are very expensive. But maybe the Mad Catz Tritton Detonator would be worth a bit extra? The cable doesn't bother me that much. I just want at least 5.1 and good sound. And the cheaper the better.

The X11s are great for me. It may not be surround but they can still make a difference when playing games like MW2 and Gears 3. I use them on my 360 and PS3 since I have a monitor with audio out and don't need the extra adapter for the PS3. I also have the wireless Halo 3 Xbox headset and it has also been very good but I rarely use it anymore since I have the X11s.

I have the X12s and they are pretty good. I don't think they sound *that* great, but better then my TV speakers and they do the trick - allowing me to play while hearing the sound while my kids are trying to get to sleep :). But voice chat sounds like crap no matter what you do - it seems to be that the Xbox just has incredibly crappy voice quality (presumably to minimize its impact on network traffic). Everybody sounds like they are talking into a paper cup or something.

I have the Halo 3 wireless headset and I love it. I also have the X11, but I primarily use it for my computer since I don't like to have my 360 without my surround sound blasting. The wireless headset is comfortable, sounds fine and nobody ever says I cut out or I sound like shit or anything. Definitely worth the money and it doesn't interfere with my surround sound.

So you'd recommend getting the X11 for $45 over the X12 for $56?
The new Microsoft approved Detonator Tritton headphones are going to be the the $70+ range. If it's not tethered to the controller for chat then a bit extra might be worth the freedom. Thoughts?

you can also go to BB, they have a turtle beach headset setup for ppl to preview...just bring some purell wipes.

i have the wireless xbox headset and i also like it, but it's starting to kick the bucket. wondering if I should buy a new one or wait for the new model.

Anyone have a recommendation on a dolby 5.1/7.1 headset for the 360? Looking to spend about $200 at most. Wireless is a must. I really like minimal cords and possibly USB powered.

I already have a Turtle Beach X31, but I really wanna get a really nice one for MW3. So I've been looking at TB Ear Force X41,TB MW3 Headsets (Bravo/Charlie), Astro Headsets, and Tritton Gears3 Headset.

///edit///
After some consideration, I think I am going to get the Astro A40s, but I'm reading articles saying you cant use HDMI and Optical without having a HDMI/AV Adapater. I currently have an 250GB XBox S and it does have an optical out, but I cant use the HDMI?

///edit #2///
Nm, i found this. You dont need the adapter anymore with the 360 S

Last edited by a moderator:
^tritton is coming out with a wireless 7.1 headset pretty soon. "warhead 7.1" is the name. if you didn't already realize it, the TB x41, x31 and the mw3 headsets are the same, just different colors on the mw3 for an extra $20-$30.

I got my TB xc1 and love it. The only neg thing I would prob say is that the mic is too sensitive. I like to play my fps games loud (and with surround sound) but have to turn it down when using the xc1. It's pretty big (ok for me, I have a Charlie Brown head) and doesn't get hot after a couple of hrs.

I'll admit it...I'm completely clueless while reading this thread. I'm still using the pack in wired MS headset 90% of the time. The other 10% is the wireless MS headset that a friend gave me. I never remember to charge it. Anyone have a URL for a good comparison of the manufacturers? I've heard all these names, but I never look into them.

[quote name='yahoosale14']LOL wireless microsoft headset for $10 more is so much better than this $30.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you must be one of those people with oddly shaped ears (I'm sorry) that can't wear this one, because the sound/mic quality & construction are far superior to the MS pack-in... for a CHEAP single-ear style. sure, it isn't Turtle Beach, Tritton or even Planet Boom, but it works well and is CHEAP. BTW, a lot of the old cell phone wired hands-free sets work well, but it's trial and error. Good luck, OP.

[quote name='HRGApollo']Wow, you must be one of those people with oddly shaped ears (I'm sorry) that can't wear this one, because the sound/mic quality & construction are far superior to the MS pack-in... for a CHEAP single-ear style. sure, it isn't Turtle Beach, Tritton or even Planet Boom, but it works well and is CHEAP. BTW, a lot of the old cell phone wired hands-free sets work well, but it's trial and error. Good luck, OP.[/QUOTE]

He's not talking about the MS one that comes with the system, he's talking about the wireless one. Which is why he said wireless.

I'm currently rocking these. Never heard of Sharkoon before I bought em but they were part of one of Amazon Gold Box deals and let me tell you they sound really good for 50 bucks. I believe it's the in-line amplifier that does that. I really love that you can detach the microphone whenever you want and there are separate audio volumes for chat and game audio. Of course this headset is wired but you can use it on a PC as well so I'm very content with it.

[quote name='tcrash247']He's not talking about the MS one that comes with the system, he's talking about the wireless one. Which is why he said wireless.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think he is. (Does anyone ever READ the original post?)

[quote name='HRGApollo']Yeah, I think he is. (Does anyone ever READ the original post?)[/QUOTE]

you're wrong. do you ever read the original post? :roll:

i clearly said wireless, the default and the one you posted, are obviously not wireless.

bread's done
Back