Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters @ TRU for $44.99/37.49 pre-order

I had no idea this was being released so soon, it seems like they keep pushing the sports games release dates up and up each year.

Yeah I even checked to see what Amazon was selling it for before I posted and it was some where around msrp. Plus I think a bunch of us got those $40 gift cards so...

Is this just the masters and nothing else? I notice there are two TW games so I'm wondering. Seems like a total cashgrab to me.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Is this just the masters and nothing else? I notice there are two TW games so I'm wondering. Seems like a total cashgrab to me.[/QUOTE]

youre wrong.

[quote name='ssjmichael']How insightful. How about you elaborate on what I'm wrong about.[/QUOTE]

I don't see two versions man. From what I've read, this is the first year that Augusta is included into the main game.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']I don't see two versions man. From what I've read, this is the first year that Augusta is included into the main game.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for actually answering my question.. The other version I noticed is the "Collector's Edition" for $10 more. That version's cover looked more like the standard TW cover hence my confusion here. I thought EA was doing two releases here, similar to FIFA and FIFA World Cup/South Africa a while back

edit: This cover looks more like the standard edition than a CE. You wouldn't even really know the regular one was a TW game at first glance. I wonder if that's done intentionally to stray away from him

TigerWoods12-gfds51fds6541.jpg

No prob, I don't think they'd be trying to stray away from the TW brand though, he's still the golfer with the most notoriety and brand recognition. I don't think we'll ever see a Rory McIlroy 2013 (thought Phil would be a viable #2 for the title).

Couldn't be more excited to play at The Masters. And for those golf fans - wonder if they'll have The Masters music!?

Yeah I don't see anyone really replacing tiger per se, just more of a title change to "PGA Tour 13" or something. I don't think it will actually happen (at least not anytime soon) but that regular edition cover just seems so strange to me. I understand having the Masters included is a big deal, but to make it the focus of the entire game;/cover/title while putting TW in small font at the bottom strikes me as odd.

Also Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters is a mouthful lol

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']No prob, I don't think they'd be trying to stray away from the TW brand though, he's still the golfer with the most notoriety and brand recognition. I don't think we'll ever see a Rory McIlroy 2013 (thought Phil would be a viable #2 for the title).

Couldn't be more excited to play at The Masters. And for those golf fans - wonder if they'll have The Masters music!?[/QUOTE]

And Jim Nance?!

EA did that cover intentionally because of the whole Tiger drama - I heard on a sports radio show they're trying to somewhat distance the focus of the game away from him because of said issues.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Thank you for actually answering my question.. The other version I noticed is the "Collector's Edition" for $10 more. That version's cover looked more like the standard TW cover hence my confusion here. I thought EA was doing two releases here, similar to FIFA and FIFA World Cup/South Africa a while back

edit: This cover looks more like the standard edition than a CE. You wouldn't even really know the regular one was a TW game at first glance. I wonder if that's done intentionally to stray away from him

TigerWoods12-gfds51fds6541.jpg
[/QUOTE]

The CE is also PS3 exclusive I believe...only difference is 5 extra courses for 10 more dollars.

[quote name='diddy310']The CE is also PS3 exclusive I believe...only difference is 5 extra courses for 10 more dollars.[/QUOTE]

Thats actually a good deal since EA usually sells each course 10 bucks a pop

I haven't bought a Tiger Woods game in years but this one looks interesting to me. The Masters being in it is kind of a big deal to me. I think I may hold off until reviews/feedback from users before I spring for it though.

[quote name='confoosious']that's a damn good deal. The wii is actually the preferred platform for this so 37.49 is nice.[/QUOTE]
Why is the Wii the preferred platform?

[quote name='not2worried']No online Co-op... No buy for me.. But a good deal otherwise.[/QUOTE]

There is co-op................You can play rounds online vs your friends.

They actually release this game during the beginning of the season. Releasing this game in august was like releasing mlb the show in september

I believe people prefer the Wii version because in I believe 10 and 11 it came with courses on the disc that were sold as DLC for 360 and PS3. People also really seem to enjoy how the Wii version has controlled since Tiger Woods 10

[quote name='ssjmichael']That's your reason for saying it's the "preferred platform"? Wow...[/QUOTE]

whatever dude. if you can't immediately see how wii motion plus would affect a golf game, you're nuts. with wii motion plus, you're getting something close to a 1 to 1 swing. Get the chicken stick and you're as close to playing the Masters as any schlub will be.

This isnt "waggle to the left, waggle to the right". This is as close to golf as I've ever seen. The wii might not do motion well on a lot of things, but they absolutely nail it on TW.

[quote name='confoosious']whatever dude. if you can't immediately see how wii motion plus would affect a golf game, you're nuts. with wii motion plus, you're getting something close to a 1 to 1 swing. Get the chicken stick and you're as close to playing the Masters as any schlub will be.[/QUOTE]

Cool story. I'll be playing it on the PS3 in beautiful HD AND with the Playstation Move. I imagine that will be closer to the real thing than what you'll get on the Wii.

Looks like Tiger has a "preferred platform" too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcPXSiBw67g

I didn't like the move controls but if they work for you, cool. You'll get the benefit of much better graphics.

A lot of people are divided on how good move integration is but I've yet to hear one complaint about the wii motion plus integration. And they get better at it every year. I'm looking forward to playing Augusta this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year was the first year TW had the move and it was patched in. This year will no doubt be a much better effort.

And what don't you like about the Move controls? It's not really much different from the Wii Remote in your hands. In fact I find the cylindrical shape more comfortable to hold than the remote.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Cool story. I'll be playing it on the PS3 in beautiful HD AND with the Playstation Move. I imagine that will be closer to the real thing than what you'll get on the Wii.

Looks like Tiger has a "preferred platform" too:[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Tiger Woods does whatever EA tells him to do. EA has made a concerted effort to really push PS3 games this year. It's no surprise that TW is playing on the PS3.

I prefer TW on the Wii. If you think Move is better, then good for you.

But in the past few years, the wii version has consistently outscored the ps3 version.

(I guess here's where you tell me all critics are wrong.)

I have every system and I pick the best platform for whatever game I play. When I say TW on the wii is the best, I'm not saying that from any bullshit fanboy perspective. Are the courses prettier on the PS3 and Xbox? Yes. But for a golf game, I think the Wii motion plus makes it better.

I just think it's silly to say it's the preferred platform for this new game without any objective evidence to prove that. Past iterations of the game may have been better on the Wii, but that in no way gurantees that pattern will remain the same.

And I wouldn't really call the difference in scores between the Wii and PS3 significant. TW11 on the the PS3 has an aggregate score of 78 on metacritic from 40 critics, the Wii has an 84 from 29 critics. Not to mention the fact that each has a bunch of reviews that have no overlap (i.e. the media outlet didn't review both versions), making it harder to do a 1:1 comparison of the two based on their scores.

Also, since you missed the point, I was poking fun at you by using that video as my evidence for saying it's his preferred platform for TW 12.

I point to metacritic, your answer would be "there's no significant difference". And yet, a publisher would bend over backwards to get a score of 84 vs a 78. (I worked for a game company -- publishers would call up and bitch if the scores were too low even though they can't affect a review. It's like when coaches set refs up for the next call...)

I point to sales figures and you'll say that it's because Move was new last year.

Nothing I say will matter, even though the wii is (present tense) the preferred platform. Could this change? Sure. When that happens, I'm sure you'll tell me you were right all along.

It's like you want this to be a fanboy fight and it's not a fanboy fight. TW is probably the only cross platform game I prefer on the wii. And based on reviews and sales figures, other people seem to agree with me.

No! I disagree to agree to disagree! :)

I've already moved on. I don't really care what system he plays it for, and I'm sure that's mutual. I just thought it was odd that he said the Wii was the preferred platform for this, which I took to mean this specific game, which we're all discussing here. Apparently I misunderstood what he meant by that since no source has stated a preferred version for this particular game yet. If we're talking about some of the last few TW games, then yes the Wii could arguably be considered the "preferred platform"

[quote name='Bucknut']There is co-op................You can play rounds online vs your friends.[/QUOTE]

Yeh but I want to be able to play with 2 people on one console. Its limited to one. :cry:

[quote name='confoosious']wii motion plus.[/QUOTE]

Augusta in High Def trumps Wii motion plus for me. 360 version for me.

[quote name='Supreme0ne']wish there was $15 off the collectors edition version too[/QUOTE]

Yeah me too! I'd much rather have the extra courses.

wait...you cant play 2 people on 1 console? how is that possible? me and my dad always played 2 player for the older ones on the gamecube....did they REALLY take it out?

[quote name='thedream77']Augusta in High Def trumps Wii motion plus for me. 360 version for me.[/QUOTE]

I can understand the argument that Move is close enough so PS3 version but 360? That's clearly the worst experience of the 3.

What I can't understand is why people care what system others play the game on. It's just stupid.
As for the deal, thanks for posting. I got it on the 360 and will enjoy playing online with my friends in high-def.

I've always played TW on the Wii since as others has pointed out the WM+ really makes the game. As someone who golfs regularly I can say that it's as close to the real thing (which of course is still not that close) as a game has ever come.

I was hoping there'd be a Move bundle for this, but as it stands I'm still on the fence as to whether to get it on the PS3 or Wii.

[quote name='supergrass']What I can't understand is why people care what system others play the game on. It's just stupid.
As for the deal, thanks for posting. I got it on the 360 and will enjoy playing online with my friends in high-def.[/QUOTE]

Play whatever version you want. It's no skin off my back.

But if you're gonna make an objective assessment of this game (i.e. people who have all systems and want to know which is best), then the wii is the best. I guess that only applies if you golf. If you don't, I guess TW is a game like any other game and hitting buttons on the controller is the same thing.

I'm not one that thinks hi def trumps everything. It's nice. And I wish the wii had better graphics. But it's not what makes a golfing game great.

[quote name='confoosious']Play whatever version you want. It's no skin off my back.

But if you're gonna make an objective assessment of this game (i.e. people who have all systems and want to know which is best), then the wii is the best. I guess that only applies if you golf. If you don't, I guess TW is a game like any other game and hitting buttons on the controller is the same thing.

I'm not one that thinks hi def trumps everything. It's nice. And I wish the wii had better graphics. But it's not what makes a golfing game great.[/QUOTE]

I've played the Wii version and agree that it plays better than the 360 version and is a lot of fun. However, the look of a golf game also goes a long way in replicating the feel of being on the course. The muddy Wii graphics have taken me away from that experience in the past.
There's also a great deal to be said to chatting with multiple friends while having a relaxing game of golf. Playing 18 holes online with 2-3 friends in 30 minutes is a great feature. I also never found the Wii version overly relaxing because I wasn't sitting down while playing.
The PS3 version with Move support is also likely to be an option. I assume it will be much improved over last year's version, which was patched and nowhere near as playable as the Wii version. My brother loves the Wii version and played the PS3 version and said it was not the same,, which was my experience based on the demo. I also played John Daly's Pro Stroke Golf with Move support and hated it, with that game nowhere near as good as Tiger Woods on the Wii.
My point is that there are various reasons for everyone to play one version or the other. What makes the Wii version better for some doesn't matter to others. Same goes to the 360 version, which may have strengths that others don't care about. It would be nice if the PS3 version is improved to the point where all the best features are available on one system.

bread's done
Back