HDD Transfer Cable

nitrousx123

CAGiversary!
Hi CAG,
I will be soon transferring my old data to a new xbox 360 slim.
And I've been searching the net for a cheap migration kit. Majority of the ones I've found are in the region of £5.99 but most are not compatible with transferring to slim 360.
Why is that, is there different variations of data kits that aren't compatible with the slim or should i just fork out for one that's £15?

And I don't want to spend no more than £10 on a cable that I'll probably use once in a lifetime.
If anyone has purchased a cable that is cheaper than the retail one please post here or please direct me to a site that is compatible with the slim. I Would be very grateful thanks again.

Not sure if there are any cable issues between old / new 360s but if you have your new slim and old 360 at the same time the easiest solution is just to use a USB stick to transfer your saves. Either transfer everything a few gigs at a time or just move the saves over and re-install / re-download the rest.

Hope that helps.

I think the easist way to transfer is to use a USB memory stick, I'm not sure about transfer cables.

true USB would be straight forward but would take much longer i don't have any large usb's over 8gb.
I could buy 16gb usb but that defeats the object of transfer cable plus i have 120GB that's filled to the brim of DLC/Installs if i were to download all of my data back it would eat up all my bandwidth threshold.

surely someone here has a transfer cable who wants to sell one. or give me a link to one that be very helpful

I did the exact same thing. Bought one for £15, used it to transfer my stuff to the slim, then traded it back in a day later for like, £7 cash in CEX. Probably get £7-10 trade-in value if that's your style. :)

I know this isn't exactly on-topic but since it's relatively connected I suppose I should post here. I tried to back up my X360 saves (from a Slim) onto an external HD the other day and it gave me a lot of options, such as making the ex HD configured for X360 which would wipe all my current data on it (which would have been PS3 files), or I could have chosen an option which put aside 16GB on my ex HD for solely X360 files. I chose the secnd option and copied a number of files across but when I connected the HD to my PC to check everything was on it (including my PS3 files which I hoped hadn't been deleted), there wasn't a sign of a single X360 file on it, while everything else was still there. Anyone have any ideas what's going on? I don't want to have to buy one of those specific X360 USB sticks since I have an External HD already and since I need more space.

[quote name='Nate-Dog']I know this isn't exactly on-topic but since it's relatively connected I suppose I should post here. I tried to back up my X360 saves (from a Slim) onto an external HD the other day and it gave me a lot of options, such as making the ex HD configured for X360 which would wipe all my current data on it (which would have been PS3 files), or I could have chosen an option which put aside 16GB on my ex HD for solely X360 files. I chose the secnd option and copied a number of files across but when I connected the HD to my PC to check everything was on it (including my PS3 files which I hoped hadn't been deleted), there wasn't a sign of a single X360 file on it, while everything else was still there. Anyone have any ideas what's going on? I don't want to have to buy one of those specific X360 USB sticks since I have an External HD already and since I need more space.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be able to see the X360 files on your PC since they are in a different partition/file system.

There should be some program that allows access to them, it's what cheaters use to edit their save files...

[quote name='nitrousx123']Hi CAG,
I will be soon transferring my old data to a new xbox 360 slim.
And I've been searching the net for a cheap migration kit. Majority of the ones I've found are in the region of £5.99 but most are not compatible with transferring to slim 360.
Why is that, is there different variations of data kits that aren't compatible with the slim or should i just fork out for one that's £15?

And I don't want to spend no more than £10 on a cable that I'll probably use once in a lifetime.
If anyone has purchased a cable that is cheaper than the retail one please post here or please direct me to a site that is compatible with the slim. I Would be very grateful thanks again.[/QUOTE]

[youtube]l0NhKgRC2tg[/youtube]

@Totoguy: Nah I connected it to my X360 again and there wasn't any X360 data onit. It didn't even recognise the HD at first. :bomb:

all depends on how much you're transferring, of course. I used the data transfer cable cause i had a ton of crap. I was nervous some/all of it would disappear somehow in the swap, but it worked flawlessly. On the flipside, I had a buddy who transferred all his stuff with a flashdrive in just a few trips. It also depends on if you will have both drives present at the same time. if you are selling one in order to buy the other, flashdrives are the way to go as it is the only way to keep the data once your old drive is gone.

whatever the case, remember to transfer your licenses!

If I can find mine, I would happily send it to you if you send it back. I'm happy to help my fellow cheap asses.

I might have one, although I moved so it may of got lost. From my elite to my Slim I just didn't bother using it.

bread's done
Back