Disgaea Reprints: Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness & Disgaea 3 Absence of Justice

Seems like a good deal for anyone looking for a new copy of Afternoon of Darkness- it was pretty low-print from my understanding. I paid full price for it around launch and got WAY more than my money's worth out of it, and would recommend anyone who's into the genre to check it out.

But Disgaea 3... Really? I've seen it everywhere, and it was down to $20 New last summer, wasn't it?

Wouldnt Disgaea 2 be rarer than 3? @_@, kinda dumb, so many rarer NIS games. But....whatever i guess? Maybe its a good sign of us getting Disgaea 4

[quote name='dgwillia006']Wouldnt Disgaea 2 be rarer than 3? @_@, kinda dumb, so many rarer NIS games. But....whatever i guess? Maybe its a good sign of us getting Disgaea 4[/QUOTE]

They announced Disgaea 4 quite a while ago.

It would blow my mind if they didn't bring 4 out here when they brought stuff like that interactive visual novel or whatever for PSP.

[quote name='0192837465']when is 4 coming out?[/QUOTE]

They haven't announced a release date yet, but I'm hoping in the summer maybe.

I am one of the few people who have the Disgaea 3 Platinum. Game is fucking phenomenal, but it doesnt hold a candle to the story in Afternoon of Darkness.

I had a hard time finding AoD when I first went searching for it, but it isnt impossible rare that it needed a reprint. Also, I see D3 everywhere, so I dont know why this needed a reprint. Should have spent their time porting the first 2 for PSN releases...

I'll probably regret it as I get stuck in 90% of strategy RPGs, but I guess I'm going to pick up Afternoon of Darkness and finally give this series a shot.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'll probably regret it as I get stuck in 90% of strategy RPGs, but I guess I'm going to pick up Afternoon of Darkness and finally give this series a shot.[/QUOTE]

It's a great game, hopefully you like it.

I just bought a PS3 back in December. Disgaea 3 was one of the titles I wanted right off the bat. I put at least 200 hours into the original. I live in St. Louis and searched all over the place. Couldn't find it any where. A friend picked it up for me (off Amazon). But to this day, I've still never seen it in any store. It might be a bit rarer than it's being credit for, at least in this part of the country.

[quote name='elessar123']Why didn't they reprint Disgaea 2 on PSP? That one's pretty hard to find.[/QUOTE]

This. It's been on my wish list for months...

[quote name='KneeKnee']Should have spent their time porting the first 2 for PSN releases...[/QUOTE]

Yes! I'd be ecstatic if the original was coming to PSN. Hopefully someday the original at least gets ported.

Is it worth keeping the PS2 versions if you have the PSP versions?

And, I have a sealed copy of Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days if anyone wants to buy it. $40 shipped. It's rare, don't complain about the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kaiser499']Is it worth keeping the PS2 versions if you have the PSP versions?

And, I have a sealed copy of Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days if anyone wants to buy it. $40 shipped. It's rare, don't complain about the price.[/QUOTE]

Not really. Only plus for PS2 would be Etna's original VA in Hour of Darkness.

[quote name='The Punisher']Alright. Don't bash me for this question.

Is the PSP game the same as the PS2? Is it just the graphics update?[/QUOTE]

I didn't play the PS2 version, (didn't want to be tethered to my PS2 for that long) but from what I read the PSP version has added content.

After all, the PSP version is one hour the PSP is a whole afternoon. :roll:

Just a heads up, even though the PSP version is $24.99 at gamestop, unless you are buying something else, the SAVER coupon doesn't work and with tax involved it comes out to like $30. Newegg has it for $27 shipped unless Newegg charges tax in your state.

[quote name='62t']PSP version is missing the stuff Atlus added to the PS2 release however.[/QUOTE]
Eh? Last I checked the only thing that Afternoon of Darkness is missing was Tsunami Bomb's "The Invasion from Within" playing on some boss fights. (Oh, and I guess as mentioned Etna's original voice actress)

I mean I love that song more than the next guy, but I think the additional dungeon content in the PSP version beats that out as far as features go. :p

I just Googled that song, and supposedly it wasn't part of the original game's music-just added by Atlus for the U.S. version, so that could be why the PSP version doesn't have it (the other obvious reason might be storage space, since it's like 1.9GB/disc versus 8.8 or whatever).

I just listened to it and don't like it all that much, so doesn't hurt me at least :)

[quote name='Wolfpup']I just Googled that song, and supposedly it wasn't part of the original game's music-just added by Atlus for the U.S. version, so that could be why the PSP version doesn't have it (the other obvious reason might be storage space, since it's like 1.9GB/disc versus 8.8 or whatever).

I just listened to it and don't like it all that much, so doesn't hurt me at least :)[/QUOTE]
Naw, it's not an issue of disc size at all. Disgaea on PSP is I think 400-500ish MB, and UMDs can handle up to 1.8 gigs. (Disgaea on PS2 for the record was about the same size, maybe 600ish MB tops. It was very tiny though, and vastly underused the capacity of a DVD)

I'm pretty sure it's just a case of a.) a licensing issue or b.) let's just have a truly accurate localization with no silly added things for the stateside release. :p

Moral of the story and summary a few of us have been going for, there's really nothing the PS2 version has over PSP. I'm going to keep my PS2 disc just for collecting, but the PSP version is most definitely where it's at.

Wow, had no idea it was only using 400-500MB! Thanks for the info. (Random sidenote, I miss when Nintendo Power used to publish cartridge sizes of games-I'd love if we knew for all games now.)

So yeah, that's just got to be a licensing issue, since I'm pretty sure they could fit the song in 1.4GB ;)

Anyway thanks for the info, and I plan on ordering the PSP reprint in a few days here. Part of me wants to start on the PS3 game since I figure maybe it's more refined or something, but I prefer portable games where possible-especially for something that's apparently so long.

You guys looking for Disgaea 2 on PSP, check your local Frys if you have one.

Mine has about 6 copies at 20 bucks. Which I'm now tempted to run out and pick up, since my PS2 version's gone missing and Disgaea 2 was my favorite of the three.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Wow, had no idea it was only using 400-500MB! Thanks for the info. (Random sidenote, I miss when Nintendo Power used to publish cartridge sizes of games-I'd love if we knew for all games now.)

So yeah, that's just got to be a licensing issue, since I'm pretty sure they could fit the song in 1.4GB ;)

Anyway thanks for the info, and I plan on ordering the PSP reprint in a few days here. Part of me wants to start on the PS3 game since I figure maybe it's more refined or something, but I prefer portable games where possible-especially for something that's apparently so long.[/QUOTE]
The original is great, and I love it dearly. Having it portable also is great since I can spend a little bit of time here and there in the item world. =P (Yay for suspend on PSP!) (I'm also refining my note to it being 600ish on PSP as well. 500 seems low now that I think about it, and I have no way of checking the size of it on my PSP here at work. :p Oh well. Still much smaller in size than one would expect for such a game!)

That said however, Disgaea 3 is pretty damn refined as far as the gameplay and structure go, plus it easily has the most content of the series. (If you pick up the $50 DLC mega-pack, which i wholeheartedly recommend as a purchase to anyone who enjoys the game) I'm saying all this though, because you may find yourself having trouble going back to earlier Disgaeas once you've started on 3. (As is the case for me and a buddy, we don't really see ourselves going back to 2 often at all) So I guess what I'm saying is, start on and play through the original imo. That way you get the basic starter plot, the general core gameplay, and you can move onto 3. From there, you can go back to 1 and do extra content, or just stay with 3 and never look back. ;P

[quote name='Logain8955']You guys looking for Disgaea 2 on PSP, check your local Frys if you have one.

Mine has about 6 copies at 20 bucks. Which I'm now tempted to run out and pick up, since my PS2 version's gone missing and Disgaea 2 was my favorite of the three.[/QUOTE]
Sadly the only one here in Oregon (as far as I'm aware) is completely out of stock of Dark Hero Days. They haven't had any copies in for months, now. Honestly, you could easily make some friends in this thread by offering to pick those up and ship em across the country to CAGs. ;P

[quote name='Logain8955']You guys looking for Disgaea 2 on PSP, check your local Frys if you have one.

Mine has about 6 copies at 20 bucks. Which I'm now tempted to run out and pick up, since my PS2 version's gone missing and Disgaea 2 was my favorite of the three.[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested in buying one if you do decide to pick them up. My closest Frys is like an hour away.

Speaking about Disgaea Infinite, is it worth picking that up at all? I know it's not really a game but a visual novel. I've been debating on getting it for awhile but I don't know if it's worth it.

It sounded interesting until people sort of talked me out of it with the "it's not a game" thing. It actually SOUNDED like a game to me...I mean it sounds like you're dealing with time and all sorts of things.

[quote name='Kaiser499']Speaking about Disgaea Infinite, is it worth picking that up at all? I know it's not really a game but a visual novel. I've been debating on getting it for awhile but I don't know if it's worth it.[/QUOTE]
it was alright.

good for when you wanna play a game but dont wanna think, or if you just wanna pass out to etna.

[quote name='StripesOrBars']it was alright.

good for when you wanna play a game but dont wanna think, or if you just wanna pass out to etna.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha

bread's done
Back