Disgaea Reprints: Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness & Disgaea 3 Absence of Justice

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

I just Googled that song, and supposedly it wasn't part of the original game's music-just added by Atlus for the U.S. version, so that could be why the PSP version doesn't have it (the other obvious reason might be storage space, since it's like 1.9GB/disc versus 8.8 or whatever).

I just listened to it and don't like it all that much, so doesn't hurt me at least :)
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#32 EdgeZephyr

EdgeZephyr

Gear Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:16 PM

I just Googled that song, and supposedly it wasn't part of the original game's music-just added by Atlus for the U.S. version, so that could be why the PSP version doesn't have it (the other obvious reason might be storage space, since it's like 1.9GB/disc versus 8.8 or whatever).

I just listened to it and don't like it all that much, so doesn't hurt me at least :)

Naw, it's not an issue of disc size at all. Disgaea on PSP is I think 400-500ish MB, and UMDs can handle up to 1.8 gigs. (Disgaea on PS2 for the record was about the same size, maybe 600ish MB tops. It was very tiny though, and vastly underused the capacity of a DVD)

I'm pretty sure it's just a case of a.) a licensing issue or b.) let's just have a truly accurate localization with no silly added things for the stateside release. :P

Moral of the story and summary a few of us have been going for, there's really nothing the PS2 version has over PSP. I'm going to keep my PS2 disc just for collecting, but the PSP version is most definitely where it's at.

Personally, I will probably jump at the sound of skeleton hooves and distant screaming for the rest of my life.

I think my wallet made a shrieking sound and scurried off into a dark corner, once I pulled up the Steam page.

Posted Image

#33 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:18 PM

Wow, had no idea it was only using 400-500MB! Thanks for the info. (Random sidenote, I miss when Nintendo Power used to publish cartridge sizes of games-I'd love if we knew for all games now.)

So yeah, that's just got to be a licensing issue, since I'm pretty sure they could fit the song in 1.4GB ;)

Anyway thanks for the info, and I plan on ordering the PSP reprint in a few days here. Part of me wants to start on the PS3 game since I figure maybe it's more refined or something, but I prefer portable games where possible-especially for something that's apparently so long.
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
[LIST]

Posted Image

#34 Logain8955

Logain8955

Groovy Cactuar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

You guys looking for Disgaea 2 on PSP, check your local Frys if you have one.

Mine has about 6 copies at 20 bucks. Which I'm now tempted to run out and pick up, since my PS2 version's gone missing and Disgaea 2 was my favorite of the three.
http://fp.profiles.u...id/jedi8955.png" width="230" height="155" border="0"

Download DevourerTDA, a new competitive Tower Defense map for Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne today!

CAG Thread: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=263655
Download it here! http://wc3.nibbits.c...ourertda-ver-10

#35 EdgeZephyr

EdgeZephyr

Gear Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

Wow, had no idea it was only using 400-500MB! Thanks for the info. (Random sidenote, I miss when Nintendo Power used to publish cartridge sizes of games-I'd love if we knew for all games now.)

So yeah, that's just got to be a licensing issue, since I'm pretty sure they could fit the song in 1.4GB ;)

Anyway thanks for the info, and I plan on ordering the PSP reprint in a few days here. Part of me wants to start on the PS3 game since I figure maybe it's more refined or something, but I prefer portable games where possible-especially for something that's apparently so long.

The original is great, and I love it dearly. Having it portable also is great since I can spend a little bit of time here and there in the item world. =P (Yay for suspend on PSP!) (I'm also refining my note to it being 600ish on PSP as well. 500 seems low now that I think about it, and I have no way of checking the size of it on my PSP here at work. :P Oh well. Still much smaller in size than one would expect for such a game!)

That said however, Disgaea 3 is pretty damn refined as far as the gameplay and structure go, plus it easily has the most content of the series. (If you pick up the $50 DLC mega-pack, which i wholeheartedly recommend as a purchase to anyone who enjoys the game) I'm saying all this though, because you may find yourself having trouble going back to earlier Disgaeas once you've started on 3. (As is the case for me and a buddy, we don't really see ourselves going back to 2 often at all) So I guess what I'm saying is, start on and play through the original imo. That way you get the basic starter plot, the general core gameplay, and you can move onto 3. From there, you can go back to 1 and do extra content, or just stay with 3 and never look back. ;P

Mine has about 6 copies at 20 bucks. Which I'm now tempted to run out and pick up, since my PS2 version's gone missing and Disgaea 2 was my favorite of the three.

Sadly the only one here in Oregon (as far as I'm aware) is completely out of stock of Dark Hero Days. They haven't had any copies in for months, now. Honestly, you could easily make some friends in this thread by offering to pick those up and ship em across the country to CAGs. ;P

Personally, I will probably jump at the sound of skeleton hooves and distant screaming for the rest of my life.

I think my wallet made a shrieking sound and scurried off into a dark corner, once I pulled up the Steam page.

Posted Image

#36 rainking187

rainking187

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:22 PM

I'd be interested in buying one if you do decide to pick them up. My closest Frys is like an hour away.

#37 Kaiser499

Kaiser499

Gaming Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:27 PM

Speaking about Disgaea Infinite, is it worth picking that up at all? I know it's not really a game but a visual novel. I've been debating on getting it for awhile but I don't know if it's worth it.

Hir7Lx6.gif

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#38 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:36 PM

It sounded interesting until people sort of talked me out of it with the "it's not a game" thing. It actually SOUNDED like a game to me...I mean it sounds like you're dealing with time and all sorts of things.
[LIST]

Posted Image

#39 StripesOrBars

StripesOrBars

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

Speaking about Disgaea Infinite, is it worth picking that up at all? I know it's not really a game but a visual novel. I've been debating on getting it for awhile but I don't know if it's worth it.

it was alright.

good for when you wanna play a game but dont wanna think, or if you just wanna pass out to etna.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#40 Kaiser499

Kaiser499

Gaming Guru

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 February 2011 - 11:56 PM

it was alright.

good for when you wanna play a game but dont wanna think, or if you just wanna pass out to etna.

Hahaha

Hir7Lx6.gif

Check Out My Gaming Stream

Kaiser499.png

#41 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

Wait, whaaaaat? And why does that turn me on :lol:
[LIST]

Posted Image