CAGcast #231: Winning

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#31 MattJ1991

MattJ1991

Cheap Ass Matthew

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

One thing that REALLY fucking freaked me out is how you mentioned Chicken Pot Pie. I was eating that when I was listening....believe me or not.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#32 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

More pimping of that dodgy scraper site raptr, and nothing about the demise of MyGamerCard.net? Considering how many people on CAG used to use MGC for their sigs, I find that surprising.

http://profile.mygamercard.net/

To make matters worse, while most of us who insisted on playing by the rules (Terms of Use) of the XCDP, others were showing their lack of respect and selfishness by setting up 'screen scraping' mechanisms to gather additional data from the Xbox website that are otherwise unavailable to us. If you've ever been to Xbox.com and noticed how slow it is - they are the reason why. These sites - some of them for-profit corporations - benefit from having the type of information that the rest of us had been asking for, which quickly started eating away at our traffic. Repeated discussions with Microsoft regarding this issue have gone largely unacknowledged (and certainly un-actioned) by anyone beyond my initial contact.

Eventually, the rise of these websites, coupled with the declining advertising ecosystem, pushed my out-of-pocket expenses upwards as advertising alone couldn't maintain the (quite modest, comparatively) monthly hosting fees. Eventually, the decision had to be made to take down the site. It wasn't (and still isn't) a decision I've made lightly; proof of that is the simple fact that I've been running half of my monthly costs out-of-pocket for over a year now. But despite the sadness of having to shut down this part and chapter of my life, there's a part of me is a little relieved that there's a set 'closure' to all of it, rather than infinite abandonment.

#33 Rouzhokuu

Rouzhokuu

Bio-Shocked!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

Speaking of portable devices, I don't understand the hate for the NGP.

It's a Sony product. There's nothing they could do that would gain any good-will from this crowd.
"Don't be a slowpoke, Mister Bubbles. Angels don't wait for slowpokes."
Take a look at my trade-list, eh?

#34 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

It's a Sony product. There's nothing they could do that would gain any good-will from this crowd.

I think you missed the part where we discussed hand jobs.

#35 Kung Fu ZEPHYR

Kung Fu ZEPHYR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

mmmmmmmmm . . . . . Sony hand jobs!

#36 BannedEpisode

BannedEpisode

Envious Eyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:49 PM

I dont see why people get so frustrated over the Cag Crew not being sony fanboys. It's okay to enjoy a console over another. They certainly dont hate it, they just have preferences. Sure it might be a bit more dynamic in terms of video game discussion if there was someone who leaned more in that direction but I have to admit that I listen to the show more for casual banter than for gaming news.

Personally I've been a pretty big Sony fan this Gen and I dont plan on purchasing an NGP for a number of reasons.

It's just not a big deal.
Posted Image

#37 mrangrypants

mrangrypants

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:03 PM

The last thing I remember going from priced to free on XBLA was some Halo 3 map packs that started off costing points and then once the maps were integrated into the normal match making they were free (and you were forced to d/l them)
Gordon's alive?!?!?

#38 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 March 2011 - 11:12 PM

really hope the echo audio (Cheapy's audio) isn't all show

#39 donkeydrop

donkeydrop

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:29 AM

Whoever gave Wombat that idea about accounting and Xbox Live must think Microsoft has a bunch of accountants out of a Dickens novel, scribbling away with quill pens and great big ledgers. And there I was thinking Microsoft was a software company that knew how to automate such things.

In the music business companies like BMI and ASCAP handle the rights for millions of bands and songwriters, many of whom receive quarterly payments of just a few dollars. The idea that Microsoft can't efficiently handle a couple of hundred publishers makes no sense.

#40 youngavatar

youngavatar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:29 AM

Awesome show just surprise how wombat said that brink wasn't that amazing hopefully they can release a good demo so i can decide if i should buy it.
[URL=http://exophase.com/gamercards/]Posted Image
[/URL]

#41 testudo

testudo

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:30 AM

Wombat, I can't believe you never went to Chinatown fair arcade... Are you sure you are a New Yorker?

"I'm saving your future for a rainy day."
Check out the best gaming website in/for the world: sustainablegamers.tumblr.com

#42 Rouzhokuu

Rouzhokuu

Bio-Shocked!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:56 AM

I dont see why people get so frustrated over the Cag Crew not being sony fanboys. It's okay to enjoy a console over another. They certainly dont hate it, they just have preferences. Sure it might be a bit more dynamic in terms of video game discussion if there was someone who leaned more in that direction but I have to admit that I listen to the show more for casual banter than for gaming news.

Personally I've been a pretty big Sony fan this Gen and I dont plan on purchasing an NGP for a number of reasons.

It's just not a big deal.

Who's frustrated?

If they enjoy licking Microsoft's boots, that's fine with me. I simply choose to dedicate my time to better podcasts, since I enjoy all platforms pretty much equally. Because, that's what gamers do.
"Don't be a slowpoke, Mister Bubbles. Angels don't wait for slowpokes."
Take a look at my trade-list, eh?

#43 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:37 AM

Whoever gave Wombat that idea about accounting and Xbox Live must think Microsoft has a bunch of accountants out of a Dickens novel, scribbling away with quill pens and great big ledgers. And there I was thinking Microsoft was a software company that knew how to automate such things.

Microsoft only controls the pricing of the titles they publish (unless they sacrifice their own margin). Pricing changes for all other titles would most likely require approval from the publisher of the game. This is easy to do when they pair it with a promotion and promise increased sales. Without a promotion the sales increase is much lower and a harder sell. Not that the promoted sales are all that impressive to begin with. Gamasutra just did an analysis of the deals of the week from January here. Risk Factions went from 3K units at $10 to ($30K) to 12K at $5 ($60K).
Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#44 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:40 AM

Who's frustrated?

If they enjoy licking Microsoft's boots, that's fine with me. I simply choose to dedicate my time to better podcasts, since I enjoy all platforms pretty much equally. Because, that's what gamers do.

So you are saying that you live in a perfect world where all systems are equal? That's beautiful.

All i know is that my Xbox is constantly being used and my PS3 and Wii are collecting dust (I bought my Wii at launch btw).

Can i ask why you are posting on this forum if you dedicate your time to better podcasts?

#45 Gentlegamer

Gentlegamer

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:12 AM

Cheapy's audio sounds like he's podcasting from inside a tunnel full of dicks.
Posted Image

#46 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:27 AM

Who's frustrated?

You enjoy all platforms equally, but according to your profiles you are Level 13 on PSN yet only have 8K GamerScore on Xbox Live. Better get those evened out or you may get that "gamer" title revoked!
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#47 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:40 AM

lame shipwreck...just lame. You get the perks of the job, you gotta man up and take the heat. I couldn't care less what platforms you all like but I just wish you would strive to a little more accurate and aware of the platforms you don't.

#48 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:01 AM

Not lame at all. . . spot on if you ask me.

#49 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:07 AM

What is this Gamefaqs? It's obvious Cheapy-Wombat-Shipwreck go where the games bring them. If they felt the games were compeling on the PS3 they would rant and rave about them, same goes for the Wii. It has nothing to do with their pockets being lined with Microsoft's money.

I don't own a PS3 (because the majority of the games I want are multiplatform and I believe being a FPS/shooter fan the trades off are worth it ie they get Heavy Rain we get Alan Wake, they get Killzone we get Halo. etc.) but I do own a Wii.

Let me tell you I hardly ever use my Wii. Why? Because most of the games appeal to the casual audeince. Infact i only bought 3 Wii games last year - Silent Hill Shattered Memories (love the series, Wii had the best version) Tats vs Capcom (Love fighting games, tied me over till MVC3 came out) and of course No More Heroes 2 (Great sequel to a great game). Looking outside of Nintendo's published titles theres not much there, and the only game I wanted that I didn't get was Donkey Kong Country returns.

#50 MattJ1991

MattJ1991

Cheap Ass Matthew

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:15 AM

You enjoy all platforms equally, but according to your profiles you are Level 13 on PSN yet only have 8K GamerScore on Xbox Live. Better get those evened out or you may get that "gamer" title revoked!

Owned, you go Ship!

I vastly prefer PS3 but that doesn't take any enjoyment away from my CAGcast listen. Some people perfer certain console's over eachother. Who cares? All in all they generally talk about all the PS3 exclusives.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#51 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:10 AM

lame shipwreck...just lame. You get the perks of the job, you gotta man up and take the heat. I couldn't care less what platforms you all like but I just wish you would strive to a little more accurate and aware of the platforms you don't.

The CAGCast is like Kotaku now. Pretty much any criticism thrown at them is ignored and mocked. You're also not going to find accuracy and awareness of other platforms. That's completely out of the window.

I don't care what system you guys favor, but the 360 wank fest has gotten boring. It would be cool if you had someone on the show who actually played and was interested in the other systems.

#52 rogueweapon

rogueweapon

FREEyourMIND

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:21 AM

Yo Cheapy,
I just saw the iPad 2 keynote and it's what I've been holding out for. The NGP and N3DS don't stand a chance. They aren't exactly competitors but one can argue that they are. Watching the 3DS and NGP videos I never said "oh shit I gotta have it", but I did say it during the apple keynote. I will buy one expensive new tech in the relative future and the iPad 2 with magnetic cover will be it.
Posted Image

GET SMART, sub my videos & favorites on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/rogueweapon

@rogueweapon twitter
http://www.twitter.com/rogueweapon

#53 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:15 AM

It's nice to hear the Hype Wagon, this year is Winning. I'm too excited for the Dragons of Skyrim to wait for a GOTY edition.

I'm surprised at how Shipwreck feels about Dragon Age 1, and the demo for 2, when he loves Two Worlds II so much. Or am I mistaken and the games are nothing alike. Never heard of Two Worlds II until Shipwreck talked about it. The way he describes it makes it sound fun, but then other reviewers have the opposite to say.

About Bulletstorm, first Leash vs Grappling Hook from Just Cause 2. The media keeps saying it's a "new and original" idea, but I don't see it that way. Second, I think the price will fall to $40 rather quickly. Being multi-platform, short story, and not much multiplayer options after it's over, I can see this game being sold back into the used game market quickly.

#54 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

Another week, another good game that Shipwreck hates (PixelJunk Shooter). You should skip Pokemon Black/White because it has too much content and you'll probably never beat it, so you shouldn't even try.

The Pokemon embargo sounds like the embargo for Super Smash Brothers Brawl, which prevented reviewers from mentioning certain characters.

I don't get the love for Skyrim, though I didn't like Oblivion either but enjoyed Fallout a lot more.

I'd love to see CheapyD make another change to what he's been against and get Move for Killzone 3 to go with his love for 3D and support for microtransactions in NHL 11.

I don't see anything interesting about the iPad 2, especially after the huge disappointment that is my iPod Touch. I'd rather get an NGP and 3DS for quality gaming machines for a cheaper price.

Why bother acting like you still have interest in handhelds, Cheapy? You stopped playing your DS and PSP years ago, so just assume that we know you're not getting an NGP or 3DS since you're not getting either.

Decent show.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#55 4nik8tor

4nik8tor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

please never mention charlie sheen again.
Its every all your base and chuck norris jokes wrapped up together into a week worth of crap we've all heard before.
let this guy self-destruct on his own. I'll google the rest if I care.

#56 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

I'm surprised at how Shipwreck feels about Dragon Age 1, and the demo for 2, when he loves Two Worlds II so much. Or am I mistaken and the games are nothing alike. Never heard of Two Worlds II until Shipwreck talked about it. The way he describes it makes it sound fun, but then other reviewers have the opposite to say.

Although both Two Worlds II and Dragon Age are both fantasy RPGs, they are really very little alike. Two Worlds II is a open-world exploration type of game with realtime combat and no party members. Dragon Age is a story-driven game where the exploration is reigned in, the combat is a mix of number-crunching realtime and turn-based, and the interactions and development of party members is a major part of the game.

I'll agree that Dragon Age is the more polished and higher quality game/series (especially in storytelling), but I just find the game mechanics more to my liking in Two Worlds II.
Posted Image

#57 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

The CAGCast is like Kotaku now. Pretty much any criticism thrown at them is ignored and mocked. You're also not going to find accuracy and awareness of other platforms. That's completely out of the window.

I don't care what system you guys favor, but the 360 wank fest has gotten boring. It would be cool if you had someone on the show who actually played and was interested in the other systems.

What didn't we cover that was on the other systems? Cheapy talked about Killzone 3 (I'm sure I will too once I buy it since I was a big fan of Killzone 2), we talked briefly about PixelJunk Shooter (none of us enjoyed the first game that much), we mentioned that a new Bit.Trip game had come out for WiiWare (I'll also play this at some point), we talked about Dragon Quest VI on the DS, we talked about Acceleration of SUGURI X-Edition on PSN, we talked about Pokemon on the DS, we talked about Battleheart on iOS, and we talked about multi-platform games like Bulletstorm, Brink, and Knight's Contract. Hell, I even mentioned a PC game was coming out because a CAG worked on it (RIFT). The only thing we didn't mention (but was on our outline) that I think is fairly cool, is Vagrant Story is now available on PSN.

This may be why you think we are ignoring criticisms. Read that paragraph and tell me again that we don't have "awareness of other platforms". Then re-read it in a mocking tone if you think I hate everything that's not related to Xbox 360.
Posted Image

#58 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

As long as its' not a 360 exclusive, they're talking about a multiplatform game. They may not have bought it on PS3, but it doesn't mean the PS3 version doesn't exist.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#59 Kung Fu ZEPHYR

Kung Fu ZEPHYR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:00 PM

Holy Defensive Shipwreck Batman!!! Ship, I enjoy your reviews and find them informative. However, (IMHO) I think your reviews are too vague and lack a sense of objectivity. I would like to see you be more concrete with your rating. For example, maybe you could develop some sort rating point system (1 to 10) or possibly implement your personal hierarchy of games for each category of you which you could compare your most recent reviews to.

Take your comparison post of Two Worlds 2 and Dragon Age. Your conclusion is that DA is more polished but you like the mechanics more in TW2. That statement does nothing to differentiate your opinion of the games. If you applied a rating to them, then we would know where you stand. Don't get me wrong, I think its important to point out the differences but I also think there's more value in comparing the similarities.

Moral of the story - We are all looking forward to SKYRIM.

#60 GOTA

GOTA

Posted 03 March 2011 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the Battleheart talk. I picked it up and really enjoy it. Another I-game that keeps me away from the other handheld systems. Sony and Nintendo better rethink their pricing.