Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Windows Phone & Windows 8 Deal Thread

wp7 wp8 windows phone windows 8 windows rt xbox live red stripe deals

• Please log in to reply
3953 replies to this topic

#3001 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:18 AM

Yeah, it's pretty lame, but it's a good distraction for kids if you have any.

#3002 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:44 AM

Asphalt 7 for Windows 8 supports cross-platform multiplayer & cloud saves with the WP8 version

Xbox One 23 games launch lineup detailed

Tetris Blitz coming to WP8 this week

Casual Connect wrap-up

Gameloft announces 15 games coming to WP8 and Windows 8

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#3003 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

Come on guys, show the thread some love.

Fruit Ninja WP8 and Windows 8 Review

-Paul Acevedo

#3004 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

Come on guys, show the thread some love.

Fruit Ninja WP8 and Windows 8 Review

I make these mistakes all the time, so I am glad a professional is making the same goofs.  ;)

The first requires players to slice the very rare Dragonfruit in Classic mode. Its appearance is ransom, so you’ll just need to keep playing until you get lucky and see one.

Good review though. If I didn't pick up the WP7 game a few weeks ago I would be all over this one. Now I have to actually think about it.

It's sad that Fruit Ninja is considered an easy complete. I have problems with several achievements on WP & Kinect. I bet my 7 year old daughter can do better, but I don't think my ego can take it, so I'm not going to suggest that she tries it.  :roll:

Click on GamerCard below for my game list.

MrzombieChicken.jpg

http://mygamerprofil...mrzombiechicken

#3005 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

I've never considered Fruit Ninja an "easy complete" game.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#3006 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

I've never considered Fruit Ninja an "easy complete" game.

You can beat the whole thing in 2 hours if you rush it! Also, the WP8/Windows 8 versions are easier than others because players can buy the Bomb Deflect item that isn't present on WP7 or XBLA.

Thanks for catching the typo, Ooga. I actually make a lot of those, hence I often ask Tyler for proofreading help. :)

-Paul Acevedo

#3007 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

Hmm...I've played for hours on WP7 and never been able to get 400 points in a single game or "the Lovely Bunch star in Zen Mode".  I guess I'm just not good at the game.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#3008 Sir Loinsteak

Sir Loinsteak

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

On a general Windows Phone note, I got my Win 7 phone(ZTE Render) a couple months back from my previous carrier as a free upgrade right before I dropped them. Then somewhere around a month ago I picked up a Lumia 521 from Walmart and I'm loving it. The only downside I see is that it lacks a flash. For me the recent DotW and new games have been great. I just hope they have a steady flow of new games, I'm looking forward to Tetris Blitz!

Also I recently completed both the Windows Phone 7 and 8 versions of Fruit Ninja, loved them but definitely spent more than a couple hours with each.  It is one of the few games I have left on my phone after getting all the achievements.

#3009 Sir Loinsteak

Sir Loinsteak

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:03 PM

Looks like Implode! is the DotW for $1

#3010 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

Another week with me spending no money on the WP Marketplace.

#3011 ooga

ooga

Mmm Zombie Chickens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

Looks like Implode! is the DotW for $1

Is it any good?

Click on GamerCard below for my game list.

MrzombieChicken.jpg

http://mygamerprofil...mrzombiechicken

#3012 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

It's OK.  It's just another physics game.  You use dynamite to blow up houses and try and get the rubble below a certain line.

#3013 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

Windows Phone games often arrive after other versions. Here's why

Implode explodes as the DOTW again

-Paul Acevedo

#3014 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

LOL nice little shot at that other WP website.

#3015 bob101910

bob101910

Cammy's Cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

I'm really hoping Angry Birds Star Wars 2 has achievements on WP8. They do for all their other games, but I'm a little uneasy because of it releasing on the same day as other OS. It feels weird getting an Xbox enabled game the same day as everywhere else.

My Completed Games   (Last Updated: 07/10/14 *Most Recent: Guacamelee - X1*)   

This Week on YouTube: Project Spark (X1) - Next Week on YouTube: Project Spark (X1)

This Weekend on Twitch:  Garry's Mod (PC), Robocraft (PC), Windows Phone 8 Games

Gamertag: Bob101910 RFP

#3016 Indifference

Indifference

gameenthus.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:18 PM

I don't know why I only subscribe to this thread and am not more active on it. Does anyone else's wp8 device get really how while playing Halo SA?

#3017 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

I didn't know you had a Windows Phone.  

No surprise you're inactive on it, this thread is inactive in general for a few reasons. I think the primary one being that this is a deals and gaming site, and Windows Phone doesn't provide a whole lot of either of those.  I don't follow the Android and iOS threads, but I assume they get a lot more price drops then we ever do.  I know Amazon being involved in the Google Play store makes for some steep discounts as well.  As for games, if you're really into mobile gaming the Windows Phone is probably not the way to go since we get all the big games after iOS and Android, if we get them at all.

When it comes to gaming, the only real advantage that WP has right now is Xbox integration.  That's the reason I'm here.  But MS has been so poor in supporting Xbox WP gaming that there's really nothing to talk about.  We never know if we're getting new games each week or not, and honestly I'm starting to wonder if Xbox is eventually going to completely kill off WP support.  I know Gameloft just announced a bunch of Xbox titles, but besides that we hear next to nothing on a week-to-week basis.  A great example is this week, Tetris Blitz was supposed to come out.  It may or may not be Xbox enabled (they never released that info) but we at least knew it was supposed to come out Wednesday.  Except it didn't.  Without a word from anyone.  Thus is life as a WP gamer.  The only reason I'm getting a WP8 is because Android and iOS haven't done anything to take my business.  I can assure you that WP hasn't "won" my business at this point, they just kind of get it by default.

I think Paul said it best, as he usually does, in his article today about the Implode! DotW:

It’s hard to believe that at one time we were all complaining that Xbox Windows Phone had too many physics puzzlers like Implode. These days, I’d kill to have a new Xbox-enabled physics puzzler every week. At least that would be something! 

#3018 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

Oh, and to actually answer your question Indifference, I don't know.

#3019 Dagolara

Dagolara

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

I don't know why I only subscribe to this thread and am not more active on it. Does anyone else's wp8 device get really how while playing Halo SA?

My 920 gets hot playing any game really for like 10 minutes or so. 

#3020 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:26 AM

My wife's Lumia 920 used to get really hot while playing any game for a few minutes as well. And it unfortunately no longer works because my son was playing a game on it without either of us realizing how long it would be and the damn thing overheated. So now it won't boot and, of course, Nokia won't do anything about it for us.

My Focus Flash is still going strong, although the speaker stopped working months ago and I can't download anymore games because I ran out of space. I sometimes have to delete something just to take pictures. I love the WP platform, but the lack of SD and the inability to backup game saves are two huge turn-offs.

#3021 Dagolara

Dagolara

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:40 AM

My wife's Lumia 920 used to get really hot while playing any game for a few minutes as well. And it unfortunately no longer works because my son was playing a game on it without either of us realizing how long it would be and the damn thing overheated. So now it won't boot and, of course, Nokia won't do anything about it for us.

My Focus Flash is still going strong, although the speaker stopped working months ago and I can't download anymore games because I ran out of space. I sometimes have to delete something just to take pictures. I love the WP platform, but the lack of SD and the inability to backup game saves are two huge turn-offs.

Did it just black screen? Have you tried volume down + power for like 15 seconds?

#3022 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

It started off with just a black screen, but after doing the hard reset several times and letting the battery drain, I was eventually able to get the phone to boot up a couple of times, but when I did everything was screwy. The phone went extremely slow, taking up to a few minutes to respond to any actions. The colors were also way off, the screen spazzed out (tiles doubling or showing multiple screens at once), and it started overheating within a minute or two. Here's a shot to give you an idea of how it looks:

brokenlumia.jpg

This is while using the Cyan theme. As you can see, it's showing the home screen and her text messages at the same time and the tiles are all glitchy. My ugly mug up there is also oversaturated. There were moments when it would display normally, but this is how it looked most of the time. Thankfully, I was at least able to keep the phone working long enough to back up all of her pictures, videos, and apps. Unfortunately, however, we can't afford to get it fixed and we sure as hell can't afford a new one. Someone suggested getting an older Lumia in the meantime, which is a good idea, but it's still something we can't afford at the moment.

And yeah, I tried doing the reset that you mentioned above. I tried everything I could think of as well as any suggestions I could find online. The last thing I tried was restoring the factory settings, which rendered the phone completely useless. Now all it does is sit there with a spinning gear on the screen. I tried letting that run for a couple of days just in case it was taken extra long, but it never changed.

#3023 Feeni

Feeni

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

I thought Tetris Blitz was supposed to come out this week. Any news?

#3024 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

I thought Tetris Blitz was supposed to come out this week. Any news?

Read tha articles, bro! But actually, EA hasn't responded to my inquiry about why it didn't release this week.

Zombie, I'm sorry to hear your phone got baked! It's weird, I've played games for hours on end since I got the 920 and I've never damaged my phone. I guess if it got hot enough I would let it rest though, seldom as that has happened. You tried actually paying Nokia for repairs?

-Paul Acevedo

#3025 bob101910

bob101910

Cammy's Cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Read tha articles, bro! But actually, EA hasn't responded to my inquiry about why it didn't release this week.

Zombie, I'm sorry to hear your phone got baked! It's weird, I've played games for hours on end since I got the 920 and I've never damaged my phone. I guess if it got hot enough I would let it rest though, seldom as that has happened. You tried actually paying Nokia for repairs?

Have you heard a lot of reports of phones overheating to the point of breaking? I got a 1020 a couple weeks ago and it gets hot really really fast when playing games. Even ones like Uno & Friends, where you'd think it wouldn't take as much power. After a few minutes of Order & Chaos trial, I couldn't even touch the phone. People ingame suggested getting a case so I wouldn't have to touch the burning hot fun, but I don't think I should be playing a game that gets that hot in the 1st place.

I'd really like to play Order & Chaos, but I'm too afraid that it will break the phone.

This Week on YouTube: Project Spark (X1) - Next Week on YouTube: Project Spark (X1)

This Weekend on Twitch:  Garry's Mod (PC), Robocraft (PC), Windows Phone 8 Games

#3026 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:36 PM

Have you heard a lot of reports of phones overheating to the point of breaking? I got a 1020 a couple weeks ago and it gets hot really really fast when playing games. Even ones like Uno & Friends, where you'd think it wouldn't take as much power. After a few minutes of Order & Chaos trial, I couldn't even touch the phone. People ingame suggested getting a case so I wouldn't have to touch the burning hot fun, but I don't think I should be playing a game that gets that hot in the 1st place.

I'd really like to play Order & Chaos, but I'm too afraid that it will break the phone.

It's a design flaw in the Qualcomm chip that powers current WP8 devices. Any graphically intense game or one that uses the internet connection constantly will cause the phone to heat up - even simple games like UNO. And some WP7 games do it too. It IS safe to play Order & Chaos Online or whatever (I've put countless hours into it), but you need to manage your playtime and not overdo it.

-Paul Acevedo

#3027 Feeni

Feeni

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Well I read the one titled "Tetris Blitz coming to WP8 this week" if that's what you mean. Honestly it doesn't bother me a whole bunch. I got a surface pro last week so I have been checking out the free games available on Win8. Just one more achievement to go in Jetpack Joyride...again. Man I love that game.

#3028 bob101910

bob101910

Cammy's Cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

It's a design flaw in the Qualcomm chip that powers current WP8 devices. Any graphically intense game or one that uses the internet connection constantly will cause the phone to heat up - even simple games like UNO. And some WP7 games do it too. It IS safe to play Order & Chaos Online or whatever (I've put countless hours into it), but you need to manage your playtime and not overdo it.

Thanks, I'll have to try it out again. Maybe limit myself to 20 minutes at a time, but that might be hard with an MMO.

#3029 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:26 AM

Thankfully, it's my wife's phone and not mine, so at least I'm not personally effected. It still sucks, though. We would usually play on her phone for no more than 20-30 minutes at a time, but our son played with it for a while and then he left it on while doing something else. I'm not sure if he was playing a game or watching cartoons (he turned 3 last month and was already a pro at using the phone), but I remember that it was frozen when we noticed it. I tried sending it into Nokia because it should still be under warranty, but they sent it back with two letters, one stating that the warranty doesn't cover physical damage (seems like a gray are for this situation) and one stating that the phone is no longer under warranty. I was under the impression that they would be able to give me an estimate for repair costs while they had it, but I guess I'll have to send it in again for that.

Overheating appears to be a very common problem and a lot of people claim that turning off NFC fixes it. Others claim that it has to do with some apps constantly trying to update. So far, I haven't seen anyone claiming that their phone has actually overheated to the point of no longer working.

#3030 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

So it sounds like Microsoft bought Nokia's phone division.

I guess it's a sign that MS is serious about the smartphone market, which is good.  But I don't like how MS has handled certain things about Windows Phone, namely gaming, so I'm hesitant to say they'll do a good job with Nokia.