wp7 wp8 windows phone windows 8 windows rt xbox live red stripe deals

• Please log in to reply
3963 replies to this topic

#1051 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

Here's my article on Monster Island coming back in case ya missed it...

plus

Gun Bros and Contract Killer Achievements revealed

That other article I mentioned a few days ago is coming up later today. Sorry for the delay, but I was ambushed by ninjas.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1052 Dustinator

Dustinator

Why hello.......

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

I'm due for a new phone in June and I can't wait to get a Windows phone. Read the last 4 pages and I am super hyped. Gosh, I can't wait to start posting in this thread since I can participate in all the deals, discussions and such. Eastx, this thread ROCKS :)

#1053 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

Here's my article on Monster Island coming back in case ya missed it...

plus

Gun Bros and Contract Killer Achievements revealed

That other article I mentioned a few days ago is coming up later today. Sorry for the delay, but I was ambushed by ninjas.

Here's the article EastX is talking about, the game is Droplitz Delight and it will be $0.99. The original Droplitz is a pretty sterile* experience, but this one looks like it will have a lot more life too it. Easy day 1 buy for a buck.

I'm due for a new phone in June and I can't wait to get a Windows phone. Read the last 4 pages and I am super hyped. Gosh, I can't wait to start posting in this thread since I can participate in all the deals, discussions and such. Eastx, this thread ROCKS :)

Glad to have you here, I enjoy your posts from the XBLA thread. I think you'll really enjoy WP.

Edited by tylerh1701, 12 May 2012 - 06:40 PM.
*borrowed word

#1054 MetalSlugger

MetalSlugger

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR- suplexrepeat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:58 PM

Every gamer with a WP7 should get the official WPcentral app for $1...contains articles on the various sales/app updates/etc. as they happen. That's how I keep in the loop. :)

And yes, the Monster Island update was to fix the PDLC achievements.

uc.png

#1055 Dustinator

Dustinator

Why hello.......

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

Glad to have you here, I enjoy your posts from the XBLA thread. I think you'll really enjoy WP.

Thanks!! It looks like the only windows phone I can get is an HTC Arrive. Been reading through the reviews on the first page and everyone's recommendations & just super excited. My wife and I will be going out the first weekend of June to upgrade our phone after two years.....jeez, I know I'll burn through a $20 just like that the first week. And I'll prolly get 15 games for that too. More achievements make me happy lol

#1056 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Thanks!! It looks like the only windows phone I can get is an HTC Arrive. Been reading through the reviews on the first page and everyone's recommendations & just super excited. My wife and I will be going out the first weekend of June to upgrade our phone after two years.....jeez, I know I'll burn through a $20 just like that the first week. And I'll prolly get 15 games for that too. More achievements make me happy lol

think I spent like $40-$50 the first week I got my phone. lol. Good luck trying to get by with $20. Though the recent .99 drops will definitely help.

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#1057 yamayama

yamayama

•• Professional Beta Tester •• (give me free stuff)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:15 PM

I agree. Any title that launches for $1 is an instant buy. Even if it's just to show support for the $1 price point.

«‘-•·÷·- ¥ámá -·÷·•-`»

#1058 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for all of those suggestions! I already got Wordament and Dragon's Blade (this game is amazing, I love the "online" aspect and getting the stat boost/seeing other players in an old school rpg!). I'll check out the other titles you suggested, and as you said a lot of these 99 cent games are also tempting!

I know right! dragon's blade was a great find. Most of the .99 games are good. battlewagon and the hunting title are the only two I have not purchased.

May have to buy Monster Island now. Should probably finish up Fragger first though. Also getting sick of all these Angry Birds style games..... Implode is alright but can be pretty damn frustrating getting aplus ratings. Even following a guide there ate some I've tried multiple times just slightly moving the dynamite placement and would still get an A rating or fail.

Hoping Mirrors Edge and Battleship are fun. Just saw they released the achievement lists for those.

i went to buy monster island and now it disappeared again?! I can see frustration with implode, but I liked the trial and error trying to get better points. It would have been nice to be able to share the levels you can create.

Welcome! I have the arrive. It is a very solid phone and the keyboard is the best I have used on a phone. My only complaint is I wish the screen size was bigger. I love the phone though!

#1059 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

That's the phone I just got earlier in the week, and I gotta say so far I really like it! I hope you enjoy it as it really is a nice phone, and yeah it can be really easy to spend money on some apps, especially if you're like me and want to go for achievements!

659629.png?68329996

#1060 Dustinator

Dustinator

Why hello.......

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Sounds like the arrive will be a good phone to scratch that achievement itch when I have the urge!!....and I'll set aside $30 for the first week :) I'll compile a list in the coming weeks of all the great games you guys think that I should get

#1061 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:49 AM

Ditto to everything everyone else said about the Arrive. It's been nothing but great for me. I don't use the slideout keyboard much anymore, but it is nice to have. I do wish the screen size was bigger tho.

Lots of Sprint guys on this thread. Which is good, Sprint needs to sell as many Arrive's as possible, they've been so hesitant on Windows Phone.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#1062 Count Van Ghoul

Count Van Ghoul

Past The Mission

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

I agree. Any title that launches for $1 is an instant buy. Even if it's just to show support for the $1 price point.

For real, even though I don't think anyone in their right mind could EVER charge more than .99 for Feed Me Oil!

I have a blog where I review (usually terrible) movies for your enjoyment.  Come check it out at http://aghoulversus.blogspot.com/

#1063 Dustinator

Dustinator

Why hello.......

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:09 AM

Ditto to everything everyone else said about the Arrive. It's been nothing but great for me. I don't use the slideout keyboard much anymore, but it is nice to have. I do wish the screen size was bigger tho.

Lots of Sprint guys on this thread. Which is good, Sprint needs to sell as many Arrive's as possible, they've been so hesitant on Windows Phone.

Yup, Sprint user here. I went to Radioshack, Best Buy and some smaller Sprint stores, and they don't carry ANY windows phones. All phones that utilize Android technology. Must have some kind of contract.

Anyways, the bigger Sprint stores that have 25+ phones you can play around with, have ONE Windows phone(the HTC Arrive).......Man, I wish it was June 2nd already :bouncy:

card.png

ibaJdAH0jhAOUN.gif

#1064 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:17 AM

Yeah, Sprint has a less than helpful attitude towards Windows Phone. They want the other carriers to do all the work so they can then reap the benefits.

Sprint bullish on Apollo

-Paul Acevedo

#1065 Dustinator

Dustinator

Why hello.......

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

Yeah, Sprint has a less than helpful attitude towards Windows Phone. They want the other carriers to do all the work so they can then reap the benefits.

Sprint bullish on Apollo

Hmph, interesting read. Well, I'll soon be another Sprint user buying a Windows phone.....Thanks for the info EastX. You've put a lot of effort and sweat into this thread. Hell, even the reviews *wipes brow*.....you've put lots of sweat and love into this baby and it shows. Major props to you and your labor of love. It shows!!!

#1066 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:29 AM

Hmph, interesting read. Well, I'll soon be another Sprint user buying a Windows phone.....Thanks for the info EastX. You've put a lot of effort and sweat into this thread. Hell, even the reviews *wipes brow*.....you've put lots of sweat and love into this baby and it shows. Major props to you and your labor of love. It shows!!!

Aww, you're my new favorite CAG (sorry Tyler!). Thank man!

Saw a few other new names pop in the thread - welcome, guys. Good to see you here too, Yamayama.

-Paul Acevedo

#1067 Dustinator

Dustinator

Why hello.......

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:51 AM

Saw a few other new names pop in the thread - welcome, guys. Good to see you here too, Yamayama.

:) I run a thread over at x360a for Deals of the Week(similiar to what redjoey does, but not as in depth. Just trying to help out achievements whores like me) and I know how time consuming and laborous running a thread can be. Plus reviews??!? You da man!!

Your thread and other posters(like Tyler :) ) are gonna make my switch to a Windows phone so much eashier LOL Nothing like playing games and just having.....fun!!

#1068 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:40 AM

Posted Image

#1069 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:17 AM

When my AT&T contract was up, I almost switched to Sprint and I was really surprised by their lack of options, especially when it comes to Windows Phones. I was also surprised to see that they actually cost more than AT&T. All this time, I thought AT&T had to be the most expensive phone service in the world and I ended up finding out that they are the cheapest one available in my area that offers "free" Windows Phones. Go figure. Verizon is almost as cheap (they only cost more by about $5, I believe) but they have the worst coverage I've ever experienced.

#1070 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

My Wordament review is live! See if you agree or disagree with my few criticisms... And as always, please post comments on the article itself to help the devs know you enjoyed it.

-Paul Acevedo

#1071 Yagami

Yagami

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

When my AT&T contract was up, I almost switched to Sprint and I was really surprised by their lack of options, especially when it comes to Windows Phones. I was also surprised to see that they actually cost more than AT&T. All this time, I thought AT&T had to be the most expensive phone service in the world and I ended up finding out that they are the cheapest one available in my area that offers "free" Windows Phones. Go figure. Verizon is almost as cheap (they only cost more by about $5, I believe) but they have the worst coverage I've ever experienced.

Either that's very area specific or you weren't considering the costs of all addons. Sprint will generally give you a number, say $70, for a plan, which includes a set number of minutes and data.

AT&T will charge $40, but that's the base for just minutes only. Data will be $30+ (required), and they will hit you with so many addons that the price ends up being $20-$30 higher than Sprint.

Right now Sprint's EPRP plan is easily the best basic package for smartphones out there amongst the major carriers for the price (it's not on the main site, just google it) sometimes you can get a plan a little cheaper w/ a regular plan and corporate discount (if it is above 20%)

Coverage is of course specific to your area, some areas AT&T will suck some areas Sprint will suck.

Truth be told though, even though I'm saving lots of money staying on Sprint, if they don't change their position on WP7 by the end of the year I may just have to switch over. For now though the Arrive is great.

#1072 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

For real, even though I don't think anyone in their right mind could EVER charge more than .99 for Feed Me Oil!

After playing it for a while, I found Feed Me Oil to be way way way way way better than Enigmo, a similar game currently retailing for $2.99 on WP.

Either that's very area specific or you weren't considering the costs of all addons. Sprint will generally give you a number, say $70, for a plan, which includes a set number of minutes and data.

AT&T will charge $40, but that's the base for just minutes only. Data will be $30+ (required), and they will hit you with so many addons that the price ends up being $20-$30 higher than Sprint.

Right now Sprint's EPRP plan is easily the best basic package for smartphones out there amongst the major carriers for the price (it's not on the main site, just google it) sometimes you can get a plan a little cheaper w/ a regular plan and corporate discount (if it is above 20%)

Coverage is of course specific to your area, some areas AT&T will suck some areas Sprint will suck.

Truth be told though, even though I'm saving lots of money staying on Sprint, if they don't change their position on WP7 by the end of the year I may just have to switch over. For now though the Arrive is great.

I was going to say something like this, but didn't have enough knowledge to back it up. But I know I (on Sprint) pay almost half what my AT&T friends pay (we're all on family plans with our respective carriers)

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#1073 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

My Wordament review is live! See if you agree or disagree with my few criticisms... And as always, please post comments on the article itself to help the devs know you enjoyed it.

Commented, and cross posted here:

A messaging system built into the game would be really cool to quickly chat with friends between rounds, and would help with that down time (which I think could easily be shortened to 30 seconds).

I've never had any problems with the timer, though a timer countdown sound effect would be a smart thing to include.

I actually got Digram Master and Theme Titan rather easily. I don't remember exactly what they were, but I remember both only had 4 or 5 to find, so I spent my time looking for them and I guess I lucked out.

I also got "You're on top of the World" using a Dutch boggle solver. In my defense, I only used it one time (to get the achievement) and the achievement is kind of stupid and entirely unattainable for the vast majority in English.

#1074 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

Commented, and cross posted here:

A messaging system built into the game would be really cool to quickly chat with friends between rounds, and would help with that down time (which I think could easily be shortened to 30 seconds).

I've never had any problems with the timer, though a timer countdown sound effect would be a smart thing to include.

I actually got Digram Master and Theme Titan rather easily. I don't remember exactly what they were, but I remember both only had 4 or 5 to find, so I spent my time looking for them and I guess I lucked out.

I also got "You're on top of the World" using a Dutch boggle solver. In my defense, I only used it one time (to get the achievement) and the achievement is kind of stupid and entirely unattainable for the vast majority in English.

tyler- would you help a brother out with this method? The achievements are way to "stupid". Message me on my account- mastrmeatwad
I appreciate any help.

Also, i like sprint's pricing, but like eastx's comment-article, sprint is not putting any work into wp7. In fact as a prior Verizon customer who switched multiple times to get out of iPhone to wp, i found sprint to be the worst in my area regarding how they educate the employees about wp7. I had to show them how to use the easiest os on the market?!

ditto everyone's comment to eastx! Great thread and i have mentioned it before, thank you! :D

Edited by MastrMeatWad, 15 May 2012 - 01:54 PM.

#1075 yamayama

yamayama

•• Professional Beta Tester •• (give me free stuff)

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

Heh, I'm always lurking in here but thanks for the shout out east!

I totally agree with everything in your Wordament review. It should have been an easy 200 so people wouldn't have to worry about cheaters as much.

«‘-•·÷·- ¥ámá -·÷·•-`»

#1076 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Heh, I'm always lurking in here but thanks for the shout out east!

I totally agree with everything in your Wordament review. It should have been an easy 200 so people wouldn't have to worry about cheaters as much.

Agreed. "Win the hour" and "Word Champ" are practically begging people to cheat.

#1077 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:46 AM

My data plan on AT&T is $20. With data and all of the little additional charges they like to slip in there, my bill is just under $70. If I were to switch to Sprint today, I could get a cheaper plan, but I would have to lose 250 minutes. And I have no idea how their $15 "unlimited" data plan works or how it's different from their $30 plan, which is also apparently unlimited. Still, I guess you're right about Sprint not necessarily being more expensive (I may have been thinking of Verizon), but according to their site right now, there is no free WP7 available, which is a deal breaker for me because WP7 is the only reason why I even considered signing a new phone contract. Otherwise, I was going to just start using Net10.

#1078 johnoralex

johnoralex

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

Take this with a grain of salt, but we may be getting final fantasy as our first xbox live rpg. I hate rumors, but i love rpgs so I thought I would share. http://www.wp7connec...-windows-phone/

#1079 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:14 AM

Take this with a grain of salt, but we may be getting final fantasy as our first xbox live rpg. I hate rumors, but i love rpgs so I thought I would share. http://www.wp7connec...-windows-phone/

if it controls well that will definitely help sales. Would love to see some Telltsle games come out too. They would be implemented well on windows phones.

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#1080 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:26 AM

Zebrasqual is usually right. I had known about Super Monkey Ball 2 but not this... Hope Squeenix actually responds to my inquiries so we can preview it!

-Paul Acevedo