wp7 wp8 windows phone windows 8 windows rt xbox live red stripe deals

• Please log in to reply
4119 replies to this topic

#1081 GunstarRed

GunstarRed

The Rated 'G' Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

I just got a WP7 and am very impressed with this thread! I hope to frequent it more from now on. Kudos for such a vast WP7 resource!

A tip for other new WP7 users: Go into your data settings and turn Data Connection to "Off" when you don't plan to use it. My phone was using small amounts of data everyday without me using it before I figured it out. If you have a limited data plan like I do, every minute counts.

#1082 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:35 AM

I just got a WP7 and am very impressed with this thread! I hope to frequent it more from now on. Kudos for such a vast WP7 resource!

A tip for other new WP7 users: Go into your data settings and turn Data Connection to "Off" when you don't plan to use it. My phone was using small amounts of data everyday without me using it before I figured it out. If you have a limited data plan like I do, every minute counts.

Not only that, but turning off data (and/or Wi-Fi) saves battery life too. I wish we could automatically toggle between Wi-Fi on/Cellular data off and Wi-Fi off/Cellular data on... Maybe in WP8.

Welcome to the thread, Gunstar Red! :)

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#1083 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

As long as you don't have a ton of apps that are constantly updating and downloading junk, you shouldn't have to worry about it too much. I was worried about it at first because I only get 300 MB each month, but I've been using my data quite a bit and for the last two weeks of my billing cycle, I actively tried to near my limit by downloading songs, watching videos, browsing constantly, etc. Basically, I wanted to get a good idea of how much I can do before using up my data. By the end of the month, I had only used about 24 MB.

Now, if I really wanted to, I'm sure I could easily surpass 300 MB, but it's comforting to know that I won't accidentally do it through normal usage.

Not only that, but turning off data (and/or Wi-Fi) saves battery life too. I wish we could automatically toggle between Wi-Fi on/Cellular data off and Wi-Fi off/Cellular data on... Maybe in WP8.

Welcome to the thread, Gunstar Red! :)

I believe there's a free app available that will put a couple of tiles on your phone for this. But I do think it would be nice if there was some kind of button/switch like on the 3DS. Not that it's much of an issue for me. My Samsung Flash Focus can last nearly a week of regular use before I need to charge it. My previous phone (Nokia 6350) had to be charged at least every other night...even if I didn't use it at all. Ugh, I hated that phone. The one before that was great, though. It (a Nokia 6085) could last at least a week when used regularly. I didn't even bother to take my charger with me when I went out of town. As much as I love my WP7, I still miss that phone sometimes. Sadly, I somehow managed to spill something on it in my sleep and it was fried, which damn near almost caused me to miss my son's birth.

#1084 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

Take this with a grain of salt, but we may be getting final fantasy as our first xbox live rpg. I hate rumors, but i love rpgs so I thought I would share. http://www.wp7connec...-windows-phone/

What the Glob! That is too awesome. I have such fond memories of FF on the NES. I think that is why I adore Dragon blade so much. I hope Eastx can get a confirmation of sorts!

if it controls well that will definitely help sales. Would love to see some Telltsle games come out too. They would be implemented well on windows phones.

Agreed, those would be super!

#1085 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Director of Publishing/Marketing for Crafty Minor Too

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

C'mon Windows Phone DotW! I need to get my fix of downloadable games for the week, and XBLA and PSN have left me high and dry!

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog!

#1086 johnoralex

johnoralex

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

C'mon Windows Phone DotW! I need to get my fix of downloadable games for the week, and XBLA and PSN have left me high and dry!

the microsoft publisher sale is actually pretty good. Not sure if you have checked it out?

#1087 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

the microsoft publisher sale is actually pretty good. Not sure if you have checked it out?

I did check it out, and there are some good games on there. PSN has a very nice Ubisoft sale going on as well. I just own everything I could possibly want from both sales (most from previous sales and a couple from CAG trades).

Thanks though.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#1088 mrcheapo11

mrcheapo11

Whoooooooooooooop!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

BulletAsylum appears to be the DotW at the price of $1.99. About to try it out :D

Posted Image

you know what? the reason we created GAMEstop in the first place was to serve GAMErs. if we didnt want to serve GAMErs we would have called it wal mart stop and sold baby items and food and a small selection of overpriced gaming software for high prices. and not thea bility to sell crappy old games no one wants anymore.

Hello all this is my frist post on GAG forums.

PM me for invites to Lockerz.com!

#1089 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:57 PM

Ninja'd. Damn it!

But yeah, nice to see a new game on DotW. Gonna demo now. Probable purchase. :)

Check out my CAG Blog!

#1090 mrcheapo11

mrcheapo11

Whoooooooooooooop!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:17 AM

Ninja'd. Damn it!

But yeah, nice to see a new game on DotW. Gonna demo now. Probable purchase. :)

Haha, sorry, I saw it and just had to post. But, after playing it for a little while already, I'd say it's well worth the purchase, very addicting. :)

Posted Image

you know what? the reason we created GAMEstop in the first place was to serve GAMErs. if we didnt want to serve GAMErs we would have called it wal mart stop and sold baby items and food and a small selection of overpriced gaming software for high prices. and not thea bility to sell crappy old games no one wants anymore.

Hello all this is my frist post on GAG forums.

PM me for invites to Lockerz.com!

#1091 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

Not cheap enough for me. I'm willing to play it because it reminds me of Missile Command, but I hate bullet hell games, so I can't justify paying more than a dollar for this. Oh well, my phone backlog is already getting too big anyway.

#1092 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

I don't find Bullet Asylum to be anything special. I'll play through it some more for the cheevos, but it's not great.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#1093 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

I don't find Bullet Asylum to be anything special. I'll play through it some more for the cheevos, but it's not great.

Really? Bummer. I purchased w/out playing the demo/trial. I tend to do that w/ all DOTW titles. The reviews were basically all 5 stars so figured I own games that are worse. :) So next week is another 99center!

#1094 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

Really? Bummer. I purchased w/out playing the demo/trial. I tend to do that w/ all DOTW titles. The reviews were basically all 5 stars so figured I own games that are worse. :) So next week is another 99center!

Yeah, EastX described it as having a "lack of depth" and I'd have to agree with him. If it wasn't for the achievements, I wouldn't have any desire to boot it up again. But it does have pretty good achievements, so I'll get another hour or so out of it. It's not bad at all and controls fine, I just wish there was some more of a feeling of progression.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#1095 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

On Zombies on teh phone, im having trouble unlocking the 'Dont fire in space" achievement. That's the part where the clouds float around, right? I swear I did this, but it didn't pop. Anyone got this one?

Check out my CAG Blog!

#1096 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

On Zombies on teh phone, im having trouble unlocking the 'Dont fire in space" achievement. That's the part where the clouds float around, right? I swear I did this, but it didn't pop. Anyone got this one?

I went with the trick mentioned on xbox360achievements.org. Keep pushing the back button on your phone over and over. Do this for atlesst 10 minutes if not longer it until you run out of lives. Popped for me when I lost my last life.

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#1097 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

Thanks. I actually got it on my 3rd attempt after posting that. I swear I wasn't shooting, but im thinking it must have been registering my shots at the very last second as it transitioned to space.

Thanks tho.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#1098 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

Put some blood, sweat, and tears into this...

5 must-have Xbox Live games for Windows Phone

Note that I wanted to spin the lengthy introduction off into a separate article, but was outranked.

And yeah, BulletAsylum is super shallow. Glad we agree on that, Tyler!

-Paul Acevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#1099 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:56 PM

Nice list eastx. Got em all except pacman ce. Pretty much same reason no one else is buying it...too much. I have the regular Pacman though and the touch controls can be very hellish to use so if pacman ce is similar with bad touch controls, I'd probably still pass.

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#1100 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:48 AM

Note that I wanted to spin the lengthy introduction off into a separate article, but was outranked.

I didn't know you liked Chickens Can't Fly that much, I'm not a huge fan but will grab it on a DotW/Price Drop.

4 of those 5 are WP exclusives right? Was that intentional at all? Just curious.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#1101 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

Nice list eastx. Got em all except pacman ce. Pretty much same reason no one else is buying it...too much. I have the regular Pacman though and the touch controls can be very hellish to use so if pacman ce is similar with bad touch controls, I'd probably still pass.

CE's controls are actually much better. The game even goes into slow-mo automatically whenever a ghost gets near Pac-Man, making it easier to dodge correctly.

I didn't know you liked Chickens Can't Fly that much, I'm not a huge fan but will grab it on a DotW/Price Drop.

4 of those 5 are WP exclusives right? Was that intentional at all? Just curious.

Yeah, I was favoring exclusives, but I must always give PvZ its due. Started with a list of 10 games and knocked it down to 5. Also tried to pick stuff with wide appeal as opposed to Dodonpachi or others that are more of an acquired taste.

I do love Chickens Can't Fly, but like I said, the difficulty is kind of uneven right now. The devs promised a fix, so I'm sort of taking that into account.

-Paul Acevedo

#1102 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:11 AM

Yeah, I was favoring exclusives, but I must always give PvZ its due. Started with a list of 10 games and knocked it down to 5. Also tried to pick stuff with wide appeal as opposed to Dodonpachi or others that are more of an acquired taste.

I see, makes sense. I'm starting to really enjoy another exclusive, Zombies on teh Phone. The controls really work way better than I ever imagined they would. I'm not a huge fan of Time Viking though, maybe just because I suck at it (and the score racks up way slower than the Zombie ones)

Check out my CAG Blog!

#1103 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

read and commented. Love all the titles listed. Pacman ce is a must own...after a price drop.

#1104 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

I'm still going through the free games getting all of the achievements (have wordament (which isn't going to happen >.<), flowerz, and bug village left to max) and playing bug village makes me want to play Viva Pinata, they should really make one of those on Windows Phone, I'd definitely buy it!

659629.png?68329996

#1105 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

I've been swamped with life and haven't been able to get to the 6 or so articles I need to be writing. :( But I did manage to get this one done today:

geoDefense Mango update adds Live Tile and more

-Paul Acevedo

#1106 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:47 PM

Does "live tile" just mean that the actual tile (when pinned on the home screen) changes in some way? (i.e., the Games tile has my avatar pop in and out, the Pictures tile rotates pictures, etc?)

Check out my CAG Blog!

#1107 Teeheehee

Teeheehee

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:04 AM

Yup. It says it flips to show current progress in the article.

#1108 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

Thank you.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#1109 Dustinator

Dustinator

Why hello.......

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

Question: I'll be getting a WP in two weeks(TWO WEEKS!!!) and if a deal comes this next Wednesday that I want, since I don't have a phone yet, can I get the game? Or am I SOL since I don't have the "platform" yet?

#1110 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:27 AM

Question: I'll be getting a WP in two weeks(TWO WEEKS!!!) and if a deal comes this next Wednesday that I want, since I don't have a phone yet, can I get the game? Or am I SOL since I don't have the "platform" yet?

Yeah, for whatever inexplicable reason, you can't buy games through the website before you've registered a phone with the Zune software.

BTW, we'll be announcing the last Live games of the month sometime Sunday, and it costs 99 cents... No need to wait for a deal. Swish!

-Paul Acevedo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wp7, wp8, windows phone, windows 8, windows rt, xbox live, red stripe deals