wp7 wp8 windows phone windows 8 windows rt xbox live red stripe deals

• Please log in to reply
3952 replies to this topic

#1621 GunstarRed

GunstarRed

The Rated 'G' Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

I really really want to like Shoot1Up, but it's just so dang hard and the touch controls for a bullethell game add to that difficulty. I have the hardest time tapping my ship within a swarm of bullets. The game is well made, but it's just out of my difficulty scale.

I have the same feelings about Chickens Can't Fly: Really like the way the game is made, but way too challenging for me.

Sad that DOTW is gone possibly for good. I guess MS wins and I'll go back to paying full price for games I was putting off buying while waiting for a sale.

#1622 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

I don't have too much trouble with Chickens Can't Fly, but I completely agree when it comes to these shooters. And even when there is one that I can actually play (Flying Hamster, Platypus) they bore the hell out of me. I have a really hard time seeing why people like these kinds of games.

#1623 Arachnicide

Arachnicide

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:10 AM

I think they are just waiting until after September 5th, which is when Nokia is apparently unveiling some WP8 hardware. I bet we will see DOTW again once WP8 is up and running, and we 7.5 users will be the red headed stepchild!

#1624 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:29 AM

I really really want to like Shoot1Up, but it's just so dang hard and the touch controls for a bullethell game add to that difficulty. I have the hardest time tapping my ship within a swarm of bullets. The game is well made, but it's just out of my difficulty scale.

I... just don't know, man. Shoot 1UP is literally the easiest shoot-em-up I've played in years. It's designed in a much fairer way than any Japanese shmup. But more importantly, there are lots of ways to make it as easy as you want.

Did you try Casual difficulty? Well, you can also turn down the game speed to give yourself more time to react. If you have trouble dodging, pull all your ships together instead of spacing them out. Also, Score Tilt mode is super easy if you keep the phone tilted to slow the game down as much as possible.

Also note that you should place your finger below the ship, not on it.

Some of the Achievements will be tough, but I never thought I'd see someone complain about the game's overall difficulty.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#1625 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:04 AM

Well, we have had puzzles several times in a row. ;)

I looked at achievement lists after the post and galaga legions is the only game non-released with achievement list released. Just maybe onto something. If it is not galaga what would be the next guess?

the achievement list for Mirrors Edge has been up quite a while and I think there are a few other games with lists up. Thought we were getting a Pinball game or is that delayed for Windows 8?

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#1626 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

the achievement list for Mirrors Edge has been up quite a while and I think there are a few other games with lists up. Thought we were getting a Pinball game or is that delayed for Windows 8?

Mirror's Edge actually came out, but it's a Nokia exclusive.

Pinball FX2's Achievement list has not been made public, but it's probably going to be an WP8 game.

-Paul Acevedo

#1627 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:19 AM

Mirror's Edge actually came out, but it's a Nokia exclusive.

Pinball FX2's Achievement list has not been made public, but it's probably going to be an WP8 game.

seriously? Man...thats bs. :(

rm8ylt.gif

#1628 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:30 AM

seriously? Man...thats bs. :(

Haha which part? All of it?

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#1629 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

Haha which part? All of it?

more so the Nokia exclusive mirrors edge but yah all of it. :P

rm8ylt.gif

#1630 GunstarRed

GunstarRed

The Rated 'G' Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

I... just don't know, man. Shoot 1UP is literally the easiest shoot-em-up I've played in years. It's designed in a much fairer way than any Japanese shmup. But more importantly, there are lots of ways to make it as easy as you want.

Did you try Casual difficulty? Well, you can also turn down the game speed to give yourself more time to react. If you have trouble dodging, pull all your ships together instead of spacing them out. Also, Score Tilt mode is super easy if you keep the phone tilted to slow the game down as much as possible.

Also note that you should place your finger below the ship, not on it.

Some of the Achievements will be tough, but I never thought I'd see someone complain about the game's overall difficulty.

Hmm, it appears that all the options you mentioned are not available in the Trial Mode. It only lets you play on the default difficulty and does not let you alter any advanced options. That being said, the full version probably would be more enjoyable then. I did retry the demo and, yes, it is easier to control placing your fingers below the ship. Not sure I'm sold on buying it though.

I finally started up Wordament last night, and was very shocked to see over 600 people playing it at 4:00am EST! Had no idea there were that many WP7 users AND they were playing that game at that hour.

Edited by GunstarRed, 25 August 2012 - 02:56 PM.

#1631 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

more so the Nokia exclusive mirrors edge but yah all of it. :P

it is a timed exclusive. Not sure how long, but it was irritating at first. Nokia is really helping the wp by approaching ea, and developers to get them to port and support wp. So, I would rather wait to get the games instead of never getting them. My next phone will be Nokia unless this changes.

I suck at schmups, but shoot1up may be the only one i get.

#1632 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

Two lengthy articles I've love you guys to read and comment on:

Switching to Xbox Live provided a huge boost for Wordament, can help other games too

Windows Phone at Casual Connect Seattle wrap-up

Since I was too sick to post a lot of my Casual Connect news and articles here, the wrap-up is a great chance to catch up on the ones you missed. Exclusive footage of all teh upcoming games!

-Paul Acevedo

#1633 daminion

daminion

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

it is a timed exclusive. Not sure how long, but it was irritating at first. Nokia is really helping the wp by approaching ea, and developers to get them to port and support wp. So, I would rather wait to get the games instead of never getting them. My next phone will be Nokia unless this changes.

I suck at schmups, but shoot1up may be the only one i get.

FYI -- they aren't just approaching these companies, they are paying for a good chunk of the development and marketing of these ports. This likely won't continue, it was intended as a 1-time push to help Nokia gain marketshare in the US.

#1634 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

Thanks MastrMeatWad and Tyler for your continued support. Everyone else... C'mon, be nice for once.

Anyway, Roll in the Hole is out now (using our link) for a buck.

-Paul Acevedo

#1635 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

^Thanks Paul. I haven't bought a game since NFS when it was DotW early this month, and I actually haven't played my Xbox Live on WP since then either, but I'll still gladly support the $0.99 price point.

Downloading the demo now, just to make sure it's functional.

EDIT: Pretty sweet game. Bought.

Edited by tylerh1701, 28 August 2012 - 07:15 PM.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#1636 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

Yay another .99 game. Bought.

rm8ylt.gif

#1637 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

Thanks MastrMeatWad and Tyler for your continued support. Everyone else... C'mon, be nice for once.

Anyway, Roll in the Hole is out now (using our link) for a buck.

anytime buddy!:D
.99 cent game returns! Yessss!

#1638 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:16 PM

Everyone else... C'mon, be nice for once.

I comment as well (albeit not as often as they do); I just don't use my CAG username.

#1639 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

Sally salon LE is down from 4.99 to 2.99 today, and I would guess is dotw. So, rejoice! Run to the streets and kiss your neighbor! We get deals!

I already own it but good game for 2.99. I am also enjoying hole in the wall. The tilt controls are good.

#1640 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

I comment as well (albeit not as often as they do); I just don't use my CAG username.

Wha? Why would you use a different username? Then nobody will know who you are. But since you mention it, what is this alternate identity of yours? 8-)

That's good news about Sally's Spa! I finally got one of the people behind the DOTW program to agree to an interview so I would've known about this in advance, but he's being very slow to respond with his answers. Sigh.

Also, I 200/200ed Shoot 1UP after about 4 hours of play (many have done it in less), which I could never possibly do with Dodonpachi Maximum and haven't done with OMG due to lack of interest. It really is the best shmup in ages. On the subject of Achievements, I hope MeatWad and Tyler have accepted my friend requests at TrueAchievements! In case you guys don't use it, TA provides a great way to see what your friends are doing in games and comment on their accomplishments. Even if you're not a big Achievement hunter, it's a fun social tool.

-Paul Acevedo

#1641 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

Wha? Why would you use a different username? Then nobody will know who you are. But since you mention it, what is this alternate identity of yours? 8-)

That's good news about Sally's Spa! I finally got one of the people behind the DOTW program to agree to an interview so I would've known about this in advance, but he's being very slow to respond with his answers. Sigh.

Also, I 200/200ed Shoot 1UP after about 4 hours of play (many have done it in less), which I could never possibly do with Dodonpachi Maximum and haven't done with OMG due to lack of interest. It really is the best shmup in ages. On the subject of Achievements, I hope MeatWad and Tyler have accepted my friend requests at TrueAchievements! In case you guys don't use it, TA provides a great way to see what your friends are doing in games and comment on their accomplishments. Even if you're not a big Achievement hunter, it's a fun social tool.

I will hop on true achievement.com and accept. I haven't been on the site for awhile. Nice site though. This will give me a reason to use it more. :D

#1642 Outinthedark

Outinthedark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

TA steals content, hides behind UCC, and profits from other's work.

76561198014930049.png

#1643 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Sally salon LE is down from 4.99 to 2.99 today, and I would guess is dotw. So, rejoice! Run to the streets and kiss your neighbor! We get deals!

I already own it but good game for 2.99. I am also enjoying hole in the wall. The tilt controls are good.

Oh nice. Lame that it's a repeat, but nice to see that it might be returning.

I'm actually using touch controls on Roll in the Hole (I believe that's what you're referring to) and enjoying it. It's definitely more of a simplistic platformer than a physics game, which I really like. I'm about half way through, it's starting to get a little tougher.

Hmmm....I'm not seeing a friend request. Either I don't know where to look or it didn't go through. Anyways, I'll send you one.

#1644 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

Sally's Salon LE gets cheaper. Could the DOTW be back?

TA steals content, hides behind UCC, and profits from other's work.

Do they? I know the writers (who are all unpaid volunteers, which is lame) sometimes forget to cite sources, but they've always corrected it when I called them out on it.

What's UCC? Whatever faults TA may have, it's still the only game in town for the Achievement timeline/commenting system they have (that I know of) and has a massive community. They make Achievement hunting and socializing with fellow gamers better, so I wouldn't give 'em up for anything.

Weird that you didn't get the FR, Tyler, but I accepted yours. Thanks man.

-Paul Acevedo

#1645 Outinthedark

Outinthedark

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

"User Generated Content", Basically they take no blame for content submitted to the site. I asked to have some of my videos removed as I don't support them and they basically said tough luck and cited YouTube's UGC clauses for the end user while directly missing revenue restrictions such as an ad supported web sites. They had changed their TOS a long while back to leverage ownership of all submitted content (E.G. Facebook owning certain rights to your submitted photos) and I removed all of my content and requested deletion of my account (though the Outinthedark page still exists for some reason) as there was no opt out of this policy change.

Their community stuff is fine. It's the selfish content rips from other sites that gets me. Crediting someone is one thing when you use portions of their guide, ripping their content nearly entirely is not the same thing.

76561198014930049.png

#1646 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

Well, people not knowing who I am is kinda the appeal of using a different name. Besides, I just normally use different names for different sites. I guess I just go with whatever I feel is appropriate when signing up, but I tend to use Murgatroyd7 for most gaming sites, which is what I also use on WPCentral.

#1647 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

Sally's Salon permanently price dropped, no DOTW yet

Well, people not knowing who I am is kinda the appeal of using a different name. Besides, I just normally use different names for different sites. I guess I just go with whatever I feel is appropriate when signing up, but I tend to use Murgatroyd7 for most gaming sites, which is what I also use on WPCentral.

Guess I can't understand that viewpoint. Wherever I go on the internet, I am still me (and proudly so). But I may have seen your comments on an article or two at some point, and they're definitely appreciated.

-Paul Acevedo

#1648 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

Guess I can't understand that viewpoint. Wherever I go on the internet, I am still me (and proudly so). But I may have seen your comments on an article or two at some point, and they're definitely appreciated.

kinda figured Sally's Salon was a permadrop swing as the sequel came out with a cheaper price. Didn't the same happen with Monkey Ball?

rm8ylt.gif

#1649 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Fridge Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

Damn, that's not really good news. I hope you get a response from Microsoft about DotW soon though, I'm excited to see what they say.

#1650 MoCiWe

MoCiWe

Space Smuggler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:50 AM

I haven't posted in a while, but I have been checking up here and there. Haven't bought a game in a while so I grabbed Roll in the Hole and I'm enjoying it using the touch controls, I'm also looking forward to hearing about more info for the DotW.

659629.png?68329996