* * * * * 3 votes

Windows Phone & Windows 8 Deal Thread

wp7 wp8 windows phone windows 8 windows rt xbox live red stripe deals

• Please log in to reply
4104 replies to this topic

#1981 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

The weight thing is being overblown. The weight is equivalent to an iPhone 5 plus two pieces of deli turkey.

#1982 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Big Buck Hunter Pro pulled over WP8 incompatibility

3 Nokia Exclusive WP7 games released

Off to get my Lumia 920!

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#1983 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Never tangle with the Best Friends Gang

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

The HTC Arrive is extremely heavy as well. I kind of like it.

Paul, I figured out what's driving me nuts about the new WPC format. When you go to the homepage, the picture is above the headline, which is backwards to me. When you go on to page 2, 3, 4, the headline is above a smaller picture, which is really nice looking (to me).

I'm sure this has mentioned plenty of times before, but [headline over picture] is way better than [picture over headline] in my book. Just wanted to share.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog!

#1984 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

If it's $4.99 I'll be waiting for a sale, have the XBLA version which I've barely played anyway.

If that's the case, then why buy it again?

Big Buck Hunter Pro pulled over WP8 incompatibility

3 Nokia Exclusive WP7 games released

1. I can still download Big Buck Hunter just fine. I don't know why I feel like mentioning, but I thought I would.

2. Is there a list somewhere of the Nokia exclusives?

3. I know there are separate achievements for WP8 and Windows 8 games, but what about WP8 and WP7? Do the two phone versions have separate achievements as well? I'm just curious about how they're handling this.

#1985 Feeni

Feeni

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

Got my new Lumia today! Unfortunately it didn't come with the free charging plate :/. Looks like they are on backorder. Also unfortunately I haven't been able to do anything with it because I'm sick as a dog. Hopefully tomorrow.

Also, as someone upgrading from 1st Gen focus, man that thing is heavy. It doesn't bother me, but the weight is a little more noticable than what I expected.

#1986 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

All these Nokia exclusives are starting to piss me off. :(

Really want to try/buy all of them.

Hopefully they will all be available to all wp7 users some day.

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#1987 ya billy

ya billy

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Can someone tell me what the update for Risk does?

#1988 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

I really love my 920, but the verdict is out if I have a defective battery or not. It's not holding that much of a charge. On Saturday, It went from 7:50am - 2:30pm with light to moderate use. Today a little better, 8:40am-5:30pm with light to moderate use. People online are saying they're using their phones a LOT and it's barely using the battery. I'll give it till Friday.

seanr1221.png

#1989 Feeni

Feeni

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

After having some time with my new Lumia 920, I thought I would post some impressions if anyone was interested. I'm encasing in spoiler tags so as not to take up a ton of space if you aren't interested.

Spoiler alert: I'm slightly underwhelmed.

Spoiler

#1990 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

Thanks for the impressions, Feeni! One thing to consider about battery life is that the 920 has both a larger screen and more horsepower than the Focus, so it pretty much has to use more power. You can always disable cellular data while on Wi-Fi and vice versa to help.

WPCentral's official Nokia Lumia 920 review - finally went up on Friday

I don't get my blue 920 until later this week, so I'm asking for a bit of help. If you discover any WP7 Xbox games that don't work right on WP8, please post them here. I'd like to run an article on those compatibility issues.

ZombieToast, AFAIK the Nokia exclusive Xbox WP7 games are:
  • Mirror's Edge
  • Connect 4
  • Risk
  • The Game of Life
  • Jet Set Go
  • Parking Panic
I'll be doing an article on the lot of them (in addition to separate reviews) in the next few weeks. If a game is identical between WP7 and WP8 (i.e. you bought it on WP7 and you're redownloading to WP8 or whatever), it won't have different Achievements. Separate WP7 and WP8 versions (as we're promised with Angry Birds Star Wars) will have their own Achievements lists and be stackable.

-Paul Acevedo

Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!

#1991 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

Paul, I was JUST about to suggest that.

Here are some I noticed.

- Poker
- Tentacles
- Splinter Cell
- Orbital
- Oregon Trail

seanr1221.png

#1992 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Paul, I was JUST about to suggest that.

Here are some I noticed.

- Poker
- Tentacles
- Splinter Cell
- Orbital
- Oregon Trail

All of those crash when launched, or what?

-Paul Acevedo

#1993 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

Not even on the marketplace :/

I will say some intensive games load SO fast now.

Plants vs Zombies and Assassin's Creed for example

seanr1221.png

#1994 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough, but I haven't seen definite confirmation of whether or not gamesaves can be transferred to WP8. I didn't even see any mention of it in the WPC upgrade guide. I'm assuming that we're not able to do this, but it sure would be nice, especially since my lovely wife is offering to get me the Lumia 920 and take my old phone (I probably won't let her, but it's a sweet gesture nonetheless).

ZombieToast, AFAIK the Nokia exclusive Xbox WP7 games are:

• Mirror's Edge
  • Connect 4
  • Risk
  • The Game of Life
  • Jet Set Go
  • Parking Panic
I'll be doing an article on the lot of them (in addition to separate reviews) in the next few weeks. If a game is identical between WP7 and WP8 (i.e. you bought it on WP7 and you're redownloading to WP8 or whatever), it won't have different Achievements. Separate WP7 and WP8 versions (as we're promised with Angry Birds Star Wars) will have their own Achievements lists and be stackable.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification.

#1995 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

AFAIK, no game saves can not be transfered. Even using the cloud backup utility. Maybe Paul can clear this up especially because I might need to exchange my Lumia for another due to a sub-par battery life.

seanr1221.png

#1996 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

If anyone upgrading to a WP8 handset is looking to get rid of their WP7 set, drop me a PM. I thought I was going to be upgrading and got rid of mine, but it looks like I won't be for another year at least.

black_swan_movie-640x120.jpg

"I was perfect....

#1997 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

AFAIK, no game saves can not be transfered. Even using the cloud backup utility. Maybe Paul can clear this up especially because I might need to exchange my Lumia for another due to a sub-par battery life.

Guy at work today had one, said the battery life wasn't great.

After taking a look at it I don't think the weight would be an issue, but TBH I just don't like the phone. I think it's a Ativ-S for me or I'm gonna stick with my Focus for now.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#1998 intoxicated662

intoxicated662

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

Am still awaiting an announcement on pricing and all for the Lumia 810 on T-Mobile. Just saw the other day that it's expandable up to 64gb (supposedly) just don't wanna have a short battery life. I have the Samsung Focus from launch with a 32gb micro sd card and so far it's been fine and doing good for me. The only thing of course is that I don't get the fastest data connection since it's unlocked and am using it on t-mobile. Other than that, no complaints.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#1999 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

Yeah, I figure it's pretty unlikely, but I haven't actually seen anyone verify it yet. I need to upgrade because I need at least 32 GB, but I'm so not cool with losing all of these saves.

After taking a look at it I don't think the weight would be an issue, but TBH I just don't like the phone. I think it's a Ativ-S for me or I'm gonna stick with my Focus for now.

I like the Lumia 920 because it has some great features and you get all of the Nokia exclusives (although they are supposed to eventually come out for everyone). Most importantly, Nokia has been doing a great job of supporting the platform. But I'm also really leaning toward the ATIV S because of the expandable memory (not including this doesn't make sense to me) and...I know it's probably stupid, but the Home button is pretty important to me because it's the primary way I wake up my phone, especially in the dark.

#2000 h2dk

h2dk

no time for games...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Just a head's up, if you are a reward zone member, they are offering 5000 points($100) if you upgrade this week (can be any phone). Orders have to be placed through rewardzonemobile.com. If you can combine this with the $50 amex credit (Halo 4 acheivement) and then try to get them to pricematch Walmart's $50 price for the Lumia 920, you can get paid to upgrade. Not to mention the $50 gift card for those of us that signed up for Choose Phone Freedom

Change is fucking good - but folding money is better.

#2001 MegaMochi

MegaMochi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

Just got the lumia 920 and I have xbox 360. Can you get Xbox live game on console or on phone and also get the game on the other? Searched but couldn't find answer.

#2002 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

^If you're asking if you can buy it for one console and then redownload it for free on the other, the answer is no.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#2003 MegaMochi

MegaMochi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

Thanks for the answer!

#2004 Feeni

Feeni

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Not even on the marketplace :/

Fable Coin Golf is another. They aren't on the marketplace. Search returns nothing. If you use a direct link you can see info about the game, but it says it is unsupported for your device and doesn't give you the try/buy buttons. Exactly like Skype :(

#2005 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

Fable Coin Golf is another. They aren't on the marketplace. Search returns nothing. If you use a direct link you can see info about the game, but it says it is unsupported for your device and doesn't give you the try/buy buttons. Exactly like Skype :(

he said Fable coin golf. lol

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#2006 Richlough

Richlough

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

So no Angry Birds Star Wars for WP7?

card.pngl1.gif

#2007 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

So no Angry Birds Star Wars for WP7?

http://www.wpcentral...7-and-windows-8

-Paul Acevedo

#2008 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Sprint to offer Windows Phone 8 Device(s?) in 2013

After the huge PS+ for Vita announcement and now this, today has been one hell of a good day! Since I don't get an upgrade until August, this should line up almost perfectly for me.

Check out my CAG Blog!

#2009 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

Just had to check Google to find out what you're talking about. I had no idea that PSN+ wasn't available this whole time.

#2010 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

Sonic CD will be $5, BTW. DOTW is 80% off a particular title that isn't very special, but still a nice deal.

-Paul Acevedo