Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Windows Phone & Windows 8 Deal Thread

wp7 wp8 windows phone windows 8 windows rt xbox live red stripe deals

• Please log in to reply
4011 replies to this topic

#2101 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hmm, I guess I can't open MMS either. I always thought I was able to do it without having my data turned on...

And yeah, the Focus Flash isn't too bad. But what was it about the 920 that left you feeling ambivalent about upgrading?

It's mostly cosmetic stuff that makes me hesitant. Like I mentioned before, I think putting all of the buttons on the same side was a really bad move. The buttons on my phone aren't perfect either, but their layout makes more sense to me. On the 920, I have to run my finger up and down the side to make sure I'm hitting the right button, and I often hit the power button when trying to hold it by the sides.

Then there's the Home button, which isn't a button at all on the 920. This is my primary method of waking up my Flash Focus because it's more convenient for me and doesn't require any fumbling or having to reposition my hand at all; just push the button with my thumb and slide up. It's a stupid complaint, I guess, but I can't help what I like. Heh. Also, the lack of a microSD slot is a huge oversight in my opinion. Everyone argues that 32 GB should be more than enough, but for me, it's not enough. I want to be able to store all of my games and apps as well as my pictures, videos (which I always have to upload and delete), eBooks, and maybe even some music. I don't want to carry my entire music library around, but it would be nice to have about 10-20 GB handy at all times. Even with all of that, I could probably squeeze everything onto the Lumia 920, but I would be downloading a heck of a lot more stuff over the span of two years (or longer).

When it comes to these perceived issues, the Samsung ATIV S fits my "needs" a bit better. I'll miss out on some of the perks that come with owning the 920, but since my wife already has it, I don't really feel like I need it. And like I said a couple of posts ago, by the time I get to upgrade, it won't be the hot new phone anymore anyway.

#2102 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

I agree that having all the hardware buttons on one side feels a bit weird. Some of it might be because I rocked a Focus for 2 years though. A hardware Home button would be cool, and I'd personally love a high-spec phone with a keyboard.

Now for some gaming news!

AlphaJax coming to Xbox Live this Wednesday

Carcassonne's online multiplayer makes a dramatic recovery - You'll find this interesting even if you don't own the game, I guarantee it.

T-Mobile offers HTC 8X and Lumia 822 free today w/ contract

Edited by eastx, 27 November 2012 - 04:42 AM.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#2103 GunstarRed

GunstarRed

The Rated 'G' Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Great news about Carcassonne's online MP fix! Will probably get it now before the end of the day. Wasn't even considering it before due to what I've read, but this changes everything.

Did not like the Cracking Sands demo at all. The combination of tilt racing and touch weapons and jumping seemed way too hard to control given how aggressive the AI in the game is. Gravity Guy seemed okay, but I just know it's going to get frustrating later on with its checkpoint system.

#2104 ProfessorStotch

ProfessorStotch

The Undisputed CAG Champion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:04 AM

Alright, so here's the deal. I called AT&T, told them I was thinking about getting the Lumia 920 on Amazon, and explained that Amazon was only giving me the choice of the 3GB data plan. They explained that since the 200MB plan is no longer available, if I switch off it even for a second, I've lost it and the lowest I can go is 300MB for $20 a month. However, upgrading through AT&T's website allows you to keep your current options.

The phone was $100 on AT&T vs. $20 on Amazon. But with AT&T, I'm allowed to keep my current $15/month data plan, vs. upgrading to the $20/month plan. The short term costs would've made Amazon the winner, but AT&T comes out on top in the long term...(extra $5/month over 24 months = $120). Not a lot, but money is money. Plus, this could hopefully allow me to keep extending my 200MB plan after my current 2 years ends.

Also, for those who don't know...AT&T is giving a free wireless charging plate with the purchase of the Lumia 920. A $49 value.

ProfessorStotch.png
Check me out on Twitch!

My man Pharm fucks all night. Call him Super Mario, cuz he be layin' the pipe

#2105 DaKidRob

DaKidRob

CAG Newbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

Just a Heads up who ever got Mirror Edge for free do not delete it unless you don't want it no more because if you do you will have to Re Buy it .. I had to learn the hard way i deleted it just to free up room for a bit and contact Windows Phone Support and they told me this is why it was free ""There was a coding issue when they first attached it to the Marketplace, it was not supposed to be free, and so those that downloaded and kept it still have it, but because of the error that made it free it also did not attach to accounts"

#2106 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

What?! Couldn't you just go on WindowsPhone.com and re-download it?

seanr1221.png

#2107 Feeni

Feeni

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

Alright, so here's the deal. I called AT&T, told them I was thinking about getting the Lumia 920 on Amazon, and explained that Amazon was only giving me the choice of the 3GB data plan. They explained that since the 200MB plan is no longer available, if I switch off it even for a second, I've lost it and the lowest I can go is 300MB for $20 a month. However, upgrading through AT&T's website allows you to keep your current options.

The phone was $100 on AT&T vs. $20 on Amazon. But with AT&T, I'm allowed to keep my current $15/month data plan, vs. upgrading to the $20/month plan. The short term costs would've made Amazon the winner, but AT&T comes out on top in the long term...(extra $5/month over 24 months = $120). Not a lot, but money is money. Plus, this could hopefully allow me to keep extending my 200MB plan after my current 2 years ends.

Also, for those who don't know...AT&T is giving a free wireless charging plate with the purchase of the Lumia 920. A $49 value.

Another thing to consider when upgrading through ATT's website is that the option to keep your existing plans doesn't always work. I upgraded both my wife and myself through the website and chose to keep our 2GB plans. Well when we actually activated the phones our data plans didn't activate. After talking with ATT they had to put us on the new 3GB plans since our old plans were shut off even for part of a day and they no longer offer the 2GB. Don't trust ATT to carry over your existing plans.

#2108 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

Spiderjack is now .99 cents in the marketplace. Yessss!

#2109 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Good eye, MeatWad. As I predicted last week...

Spider Jack cuts its price down to 99 cents

And don't forget to check out my Spider Jack/Cut the Rope head-to-head review. :)

-Paul Acevedo

#2110 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Munky blows goats. I have proof.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

Thanks MeatWad. Definitely grabbing Spider Jack for a buck.

Also, I thought I'd like Turn N Run, but it's actually pretty boring. I should be able to 200/200 it though fairly soon, then I'll be done with it.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#2111 h2dk

h2dk

no time for games...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

You might also consider walmart.com. It is $70 and comes with $100 gift card.

Also, I too have the 200mb plan, however I will likely have to upgrade to the 300mb plan as controlling data usage is much more work than it was on Android. There is an app that will do it, but it is only available on Verizon for now. For example, I used 7mb yesterday and I was on WiFi most of the day. If you are accustomed to turning your cellular data off, than you will be fine.

(One problem, when the phone goes to the lock screen or "sleeps", it shuts down the WiFi connection, if your phone checks email, etc. automatically, say over night, then it uses cellular data in lieu of WiFi. There is a fix coming, but likely not until February. There is also an app available to force WiFi to stay on, but then you have to make sure it is on all the time)

Change is fucking good - but folding money is better.

#2112 DaKidRob

DaKidRob

CAG Newbie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

What?! Couldn't you just go on WindowsPhone.com and re-download it?

You can't do that with Nokia Collection even if you did do that it tells you that you got to get it from your Phone

#2113 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

These were fun to play and review, off-topic or not:

Xbox 360 impressions: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and Sega Vintage Collection: ToeJam & Earl

-Paul Acevedo

#2114 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

Good eye, MeatWad. As I predicted last week...

Spider Jack cuts its price down to 99 cents

And don't forget to check out my Spider Jack/Cut the Rope head-to-head review. :)

Thanks MeatWad. Definitely grabbing Spider Jack for a buck.

Also, I thought I'd like Turn N Run, but it's actually pretty boring. I should be able to 200/200 it though fairly soon, then I'll be done with it.

You guys are welcome. Glad to offer something as I haven't been active in the topics for a bit.
I was going to buy turn n run but will wait for the day I have a need to buy a game. I am hoping for a .99 cent sale game this week, something new. Oregon trial, doodle jump, istunt, would be nice

#2115 GunstarRed

GunstarRed

The Rated 'G' Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Just bought Spider Jack! Considered it a few times at full price, but glad I waited thanks to my ever growing WP7 backlog. I'm already 6 games behind and counting.

#2116 ProfessorStotch

ProfessorStotch

The Undisputed CAG Champion

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

You might also consider walmart.com. It is $70 and comes with $100 gift card.

Also, I too have the 200mb plan, however I will likely have to upgrade to the 300mb plan as controlling data usage is much more work than it was on Android. There is an app that will do it, but it is only available on Verizon for now. For example, I used 7mb yesterday and I was on WiFi most of the day. If you are accustomed to turning your cellular data off, than you will be fine.

(One problem, when the phone goes to the lock screen or "sleeps", it shuts down the WiFi connection, if your phone checks email, etc. automatically, say over night, then it uses cellular data in lieu of WiFi. There is a fix coming, but likely not until February. There is also an app available to force WiFi to stay on, but then you have to make sure it is on all the time)

Thanks for the Walmart tip, but I had already ordered off AT&T.com. The wireless charging plate was a good incentive. Guess I couldve bought one with the $100 gift card though :P .

I have a Windows Phone now, the LG Quantum. I'm very used to shutting off cellular data, and I hardly ever have it on. I work from home, so I'm always around my wifi connection, and if there's ever any reason to use some type of data when I'm out, you're never far from some kind of hotspot. When I used to be on Sprint, they had an option to disable data completely on their end, so your phone could never access any type of web without wifi. Sadly that was the ONLY good thing about Sprint, and wasn't worth sticking with them. I wish AT&T had the same option. Maybe I'll stop by a store some time and check it out.

ProfessorStotch.png
Check me out on Twitch!

My man Pharm fucks all night. Call him Super Mario, cuz he be layin' the pipe

#2117 h2dk

h2dk

no time for games...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

Thanks for the Walmart tip, but I had already ordered off AT&T.com. The wireless charging plate was a good incentive. Guess I couldve bought one with the $100 gift card though :P .

I have a Windows Phone now, the LG Quantum. I'm very used to shutting off cellular data, and I hardly ever have it on. I work from home, so I'm always around my wifi connection, and if there's ever any reason to use some type of data when I'm out, you're never far from some kind of hotspot. When I used to be on Sprint, they had an option to disable data completely on their end, so your phone could never access any type of web without wifi. Sadly that was the ONLY good thing about Sprint, and wasn't worth sticking with them. I wish AT&T had the same option. Maybe I'll stop by a store some time and check it out.

I ordered mine thru rewardzone.com and called AT&T and told them I did not receive the charging plate. They didn't ask where I bought and put one on order for me, it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. (I also called and got them to pm their $49 BF deal ($50 account credit) and got them to waive the $36 activation fee)

Change is fucking good - but folding money is better.

#2118 SansGluten

SansGluten

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Spider Jack was an easy 200G. Worked great on the Lumia 920. Thanks for the heads-up.
geronimobunga man!!!

#2119 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

AlphaJax not out yet?

Picked up Spider Jack.

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#2120 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

It's looking like AlphaJax may run late or just not get upgraded today. Hopefully it's just late.

-Paul Acevedo

#2121 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Just counted, I'm up to 87 Xbox Live for WP games, AlphaJax will make that 88 when it shows up. Haven't beaten 17 of them yet. Even my WP backlog is starting to pile up. Any of you guys have more than 100 games? (besides Paul, who I assume has almost all of them...)

Edited by tylerh1701, 28 November 2012 - 08:46 PM.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#2122 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hey now, I didn't buy Babel Rising 3D or PES 2012!

-Paul Acevedo

#2123 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:47 PM

Haha well that's good, I think you made the right call to pass on both of those

#2124 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Just counted, I'm up to 87 Xbox Live for WP games, AlphaJax will make that 88 when it shows up. Haven't beaten 17 of them yet. Even my WP backlog is starting to pile up. Any of you guys have more than 100 games? (besides Paul, who I assume has almost all of them...)

I counted 68, but I deleted around 5-10 that I completed and will not play again. I have a huge backlog. I just completed 5 wp titles this month to get rid of some

#2125 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

I just wish all the games I bought on WP7 were on WP 8. I want to play Tentacles on my 920 :(

seanr1221.png

#2126 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

Xbox DOTW takes a break, AlphaJax still MIA

-Paul Acevedo

#2127 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:23 AM

Big article long in the making!

What's missing from Windows Phone 8? More than 20 Xbox games

-Paul Acevedo

#2128 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:26 AM

From your article about the DotW hiatus:

I have to bear some bad news though… Microsoft has revealed to us that the popular Xbox Deal of the Week program will be taking a break for the remainder of the year. Presumably it will restart sometime around January 2nd.

+1 for MS actually bothering to tell us (you) about the hiatus this time.

-1000 for not being able to knock $1-$2 off of ONE GAME each week. I honestly can't think of one reason why they'd think this was a good idea, business-wise. Do they honestly lose money on their DOTW sales? I can't imagine that they do...

#2129 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:37 AM

Big article long in the making!

What's missing from Windows Phone 8? More than 20 Xbox games

To me, the guys at Microsoft are acting extremely unprofessional.

#2130 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

im at 109 if I include Star Wars Cantina which I no longer have.

Edited by FlamedLiquid, 29 November 2012 - 01:13 PM.

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wp7, wp8, windows phone, windows 8, windows rt, xbox live, red stripe deals