wp7 wp8 windows phone windows 8 windows rt xbox live red stripe deals

• Please log in to reply
3998 replies to this topic

#2281 DrUnkAgAIn

DrUnkAgAIn

I like money.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

I hate to say it, but if MS starts putting more achievement-enabled games on the iPhone, I'll probably make the switch to Apple next year rather than upgrading to Windows Phone 8.

#2282 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

Cool, grabbed Galaga for a buck. I don't particularly care for the game, but I'll buy any Xbox Live game for a dollar, partially just to support the price point. I hope this trend continues and Pac Man Rally Kart ends up being $1.

I hate to say it, but if MS starts putting more achievement-enabled games on the iPhone, I'll probably make the switch to Apple next year rather than upgrading to Windows Phone 8.

I would go to Android way before I went to Apple, but I'm with you. Achievements are the main thing that is keeping me tied to WP, and if they decide to start publishing lots of achievement-enabled games on other devices, I'll probably switch over to Android. The Windows OS is really nice, but I'm really enjoying my mom's new Galaxy S3 as well.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#2283 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Cool, grabbed Galaga for a buck. I don't particularly care for the game, but I'll buy any Xbox Live game for a dollar, partially just to support the price point. I hope this trend continues and Pac Man Rally Kart ends up being $1.

I would go to Android way before I went to Apple, but I'm with you. Achievements are the main thing that is keeping me tied to WP, and if they decide to start publishing lots of achievement-enabled games on other devices, I'll probably switch over to Android. The Windows OS is really nice, but I'm really enjoying my mom's new Galaxy S3 as well.

I wouldn't expect stuff like Angry Birds to get achievements on other phones but I wouldn't be surprised if the ones published by MS (like Tentacles) get them.

#2284 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Wordament comes to iOS and what that means for Windows Phone - Fairly proud of this news/editorial piece.

iBomber Defense sneaks out as a Nokia exclusive

Galaga Legions DX is a buck

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#2285 voormis

voormis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

Wordament comes to iOS and what that means for Windows Phone - Fairly proud of this news/editorial piece.

Yeah, I read that. Quite disturbing but I am not falling for all of the doom and gloom that many others are. I think one of the most important signs for the long-term success of Windows Phone will be the announcement of the next Xbox. If they don't integrate or give WP7-WP8 users unique and compelling experiences that work with the gaming console then I'll be worried and it will be a sign that they don't really have faith in their mobile platform.

#2286 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

Kind of sounds like the guy that reviewed Wordament for the iPhone website is an idiot. I guess it's missing a couple standard iPhone 5 features, which is a legit hit against the game, but it definitely sounded like the reviewer didn't understand the concept of the game, or how it works.

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#2287 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:17 AM

You are kidding me with this. I won't buy another iPhone, but I would consider another android despite hating google and their practices. I really don't think this is a good move unless it is the only game to give achievements, a tease perhaps. I think it will take another year for things to start moving in a direction for the wp ecosystem. So, I will make my decision then.

#2288 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

"Mr Neato" if you're nasty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:45 AM

I just demoed Galaga Legions DX. It is the first $0.99 game I've passed on.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2289 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:45 AM

I just demoed Galaga Legions DX. It is the first $0.99 game I've passed on.

After spending about 30 minutes with the game, I don't think you'll regret it.

#2290 ZiggyGod

ZiggyGod

Aspiring Hero

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

After spending about 30 minutes with the game, I don't think you'll regret it.

I agree completely. It is a huge bummer that the controls suck and it has like 2/3 of the content from the XBLA version removed. :(
Visualize my mind... :whee:
:3ds: Friend Code: 4811-6958-3162 Ziggy
618684.png

#2291 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

He wears a disguise to look like human guys.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Personally, I'm not too worried about achievements on other phones. I think it will only be Microsoft-published games and they'll probably have a limited amount like Wordament. I see it as an attempt to entice folks into switching over. Something like "You like achievements, huh? Well, it's like this all the time on Windows Phone, mother fucker!"

#2292 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:59 PM

I don't know where people get that enticement theory. It's such an unlikely thing that iOS games start offering Achievements and the user's mind leaps to switching to Windows Phone to get something they already get on iOS.

-Paul Acevedo

#2293 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

Personally, I'm not too worried about achievements on other phones. I think it will only be Microsoft-published games and they'll probably have a limited amount like Wordament. I see it as an attempt to entice folks into switching over. Something like "You like achievements, huh? Well, it's like this all the time on Windows Phone, mother fucker!"

That maks sense, and I hope that is the objective from MS. I will pass on galaga, for two reasons. The controls are poor, but my phone has little memory and have little I would delete.

#2294 voormis

voormis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:20 AM

I don't know where people get that enticement theory. It's such an unlikely thing that iOS games start offering Achievements and the user's mind leaps to switching to Windows Phone to get something they already get on iOS.

I think it could be similar to how people think about PS3 vs. 360. Before the PS3 had trophies, I know of many MANY people who went out and purchased a 360 for achievements or, in most cases, purchased a multi-platform game on the 360 instead of the PS3.

#2295 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:13 AM

I think it could be similar to how people think about PS3 vs. 360. Before the PS3 had trophies, I know of many MANY people who went out and purchased a 360 for achievements or, in most cases, purchased a multi-platform game on the 360 instead of the PS3.

That's completely different. Pretty much every third party game comes out on both the Xbox and ps3. iOS gets like 4-5 big games a week while WP struggles to get one.

I'm really shocked at how MS let the ball drop again. Competition is good and they are falling behind in a huge market.

seanr1221.png

#2296 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

I just have a hard time seeing it as a bad thing. I have an even harder time thinking that anyone would ever get a Windows Phone just for a glorified Boggle game. But I know that many people are insane when it comes to achievements. If there are people who will base their purchasing decision on whether or not a game has achievements, the same nutty logic is likely to draw them into buying a phone for the chance to get even more achievements. I've talked to my fair share of people who had no idea about achievements and seemed to be genuinely interested when I informed them about it. Sure, I think Microsoft games on iOS should be limited/"Lite" versions, but I still have my doubts that this will hurt the platform.

And let's not forget that there are many, many people who don't buy phones based on what games are available. Connectivity, usability, and accessibility are huge factors these days.

#2297 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Appreciate the intelligent response, ZombieToast. :)

Lemme add s'more context to my overall opinion about how the Wordament port is harmful, etc.

I see Wordament as being in the same league as Draw Something and Words With Friends from a potential mass-market appeal standpoint. That's why I say it could be a killer app, because I've seen how much regular people like those games and how bad it made WP look when it didn't have them. By the time we got them, their popularity had largely run its course.

In order for Wordament to function as a killer app, it would require serious promotion on Microsoft's part and non-WP users getting the chance to see it in action on friends' phones and/or the chance to play it themselves. A killer app is killer because people know about it, and that doesn't just happen by accident.

Of course, the availability of a game or even many games doesn't affect every user's purchasing decisions. But as you admitted, Achievements and games do matter to subsets of smartphone users. As one such user, I look at this decision through that lens, which a non-gamer might not be able to do.

That said, my overall point (my fear) isn't focused specifically on Wordament. It's the big picture. Wordament is just one exclusive that's gone to iOS, and it brought a formerly exclusive generalized feature (Achievements) with it. But there will be more formerly WP games that go iOS, and more formerly exclusive apps. Thus the erosion of exclusives hurts WP because WP needs those to be competitive. It can't compete on sheer number of apps or even just having all the popular games and apps (look at how it lacks Instagram or how long it took to get Words With Friends and Draw Something).

Some people seem to feel that WP can compete with iOS and Android simply by providing a unique user interface - by being a nice OS. Sure, that attracts a small segment of users who just want something different and are willing to give WP a chance. But the mass market won't switch to a new OS, especially when they're already invested in iOS or Android, simply to try out an OS that feels different.
Two out of three things must be present to attract the mass market and established users: timely availability of virtually all popular apps, exclusive and compelling apps, and a compelling UI.
WP has exactly one of those (thanks in large part to MS themselves), which concerns me greatly.

Edited by eastx, 24 December 2012 - 01:41 PM.

-Paul Acevedo

#2298 ZombieToast

ZombieToast

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, I get what you're saying and I suppose it does make sense. I guess I just see it differently because I'm biased. I mean, you're biased as well of course, but I'm biased and a snob. Ha ha. And perhaps it is also easier for me to just brush off alternate opinions simply because I'm not terribly familiar with iPhone. I've used it once or twice at the AT&T store, but I don't follow it at all, so I'm oblivious to what draws people to it. I mean, I only heard about Draw Something and Words With Friends a couple of months ago. I still don't even know what Instagram does besides filtering photos...all I know is that there are way too many naked teenagers using it (I get paid to sort through uploaded images and mark inappropriate ones for deletion). WP7 provides me with almost everything I need and I love the interface (something that cannot be said for iPhone), so it's hard for me to see why people could want anything else. I tend to have a somewhat egocentric way of thinking.

So, yeah, I get where you're coming from and you're probably right. But I still like to think that this could actually end up benefiting us. Microsoft doesn't always make smart decisions, but they are very good at doing whatever gets them the most money, so I tend to think they've always got something up their sleeve.

#2299 oasisboy

oasisboy

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Dumb question: do all of these games listed in the op work on a windows 8 computer?
[IMG]http://http://profile.mygamercard.net/conejo%20mexicano[/IMG]

#2300 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

Dumb question: do all of these games listed in the op work on a windows 8 computer?

No. Windows Phone games are not compatible with Windows 8. They do sell some of the same games for both platforms, but they're treated as separate purchases.

-Paul Acevedo

#2301 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

I guess I just see it differently because I'm biased. I mean, you're biased as well of course, but I'm biased and a snob.

:rofl:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2302 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Crimson Dragon Side Story returns to WP8

MonsterUp Adventures review

Dredd vs. Zombies free on WP8

-Paul Acevedo

#2303 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:09 PM

A little help keeping the thread alive please?

iBomber Defense review - Oddly, the game appears to be partially delisted even though the website still shows it as WP8 compatible.

-Paul Acevedo

#2304 nightmare452

nightmare452

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

Good to see that Crimson Dragon is back on WP8.

Nice to see more games on WP8. I'll try Dredd for free. I don't know if I want more jumping games, but MonsterUp looks cool.

A little help keeping the thread alive please?

iBomber Defense review - Oddly, the game appears to be partially delisted even though the website still shows it as WP8 compatible.

I will wait for a sale on iBomber (and if it ever comes back too).

PS: I browse this thread all the time, but got nothing smart to say usually, ever.

Now playing: Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare (XB1), Dark Souls (PC), Starcraft 2 (PC), Infamous: Second Son (PS4), Dead Rising 3 (XB1), Rouge Legacy (PSV), Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition (PS4).

#2305 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Proud New Lamp Owner!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

LOL iBomber delisted. Does anyone at MS have any idea what they're doing with WP8?

#2306 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

When migrating from WP7 to WP8, Wordament and AlphaJax will keep your progress/stats in tact.

Does anyone know of any other XBL WP games that will do the same?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2307 Dagolara

Dagolara

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

When migrating from WP7 to WP8, Wordament and AlphaJax will keep your progress/stats in tact.

Does anyone know of any other XBL WP games that will do the same?

Wordament did for me, I don't play AlphaJax so that I don't know.

#2308 Dustinator

Dustinator

Why hello.......

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:25 AM

I might get MonsterUp when it's discounted. Not in any rush to get more games for my phone, but if it's 99 cents......eh, why not?

Wish I could get the Dredd game. I'm stuck with my Arrive till June 2014 :cry:

card.png

ibaJdAH0jhAOUN.gif

#2309 thejnc

thejnc

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 02:32 AM

Got Crimson Dragon and Dredd. So far I love them both. Dread has much easier controls than the Gun Bros. game.

#2310 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Updated the OP a bit. Working on a best and worst games of the year article now. Any suggestions? The entire year's releases are listed in the OP.

nCogNeato, I can't think of any other games that use cloud saving. Gun Bros maybe?

-Paul Acevedo