* * * * * 3 votes

Windows Phone & Windows 8 Deal Thread

wp7 wp8 windows phone windows 8 windows rt xbox live red stripe deals

• Please log in to reply
4003 replies to this topic

#2641 MfMonster

MfMonster

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

Just got a Windows 8 phone for work. It's the 8x. Can anyone recommend some apps? Thanks!

I included the applications/games I use consistently.

General apps I like include Photsynth, Metrotube (best youtube app!), Outsider (Liquid Daffodil has a list of great apps), Fantasia painter, USA Today, ESPN, Cowlick!, Amazing Weather, gmaps pro, Pinterest Pro, Hey DJ, Netflix, Crackle, VEVO, Dictionary, NotePlus, Betty Crocker, AllRecipes, easyRing & Music, Free Ringtones, My Live Tile (you can create your own live tiles), Myxer, Pocket Recorder, Store Deals, Translator, WPCentral, and STOP the Music.

Games I would highly recommend would be Mirror's Edge (on sale this week), Gravity Guy 2 (exclusive on wp8 currently-and a GREAT game. Much better better than Gravity Guy), Skulls of the Shogun (exclusive), Crimson Dragon: Side Story, Little Acorns, Lets Golf 2, Plants vs. Zombies, Wordemic, Dragon's Blade EX, Suvivalcraft, CastlMine, The Path of Kara, MonsterUP Adventures, ARMED!, SNES8...

Out of the long list there are some true gems.
VampirePrincessMiyu...

#2642 MfMonster

MfMonster

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

yes sir.

Pauls original article said it was both. Just read another article on WPcentral by George ponder , he said in a head scratching move on microsofts part they decided to release only on WP7. Maybe an 8version is coming but nothing was mentioned.
won't let me leave a link or I would .

what a load of crap...still got time to return my Lumia for an iPhone or Droid.

^Hmmm...that's pretty stupid of Microsoft. Fits their M.O. perfectly.

Isn't Square Enix the dudes at fault?

I have said it many times but despite some stumbles I prefer my WP8 device over my ios and android devices. My needs and wants are different others and it it totally personal pref. Having ios and android devices too I always find myself going back to my WP8. To each his own.

Edited by MfMonster, 28 March 2013 - 01:48 PM.

VampirePrincessMiyu...

#2643 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

"Mr Neato" if you're nasty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Is Mirror's Edge still free for Nokia owners?

I'll be upgrading in a few months, and may end up with a Nokia. If so, I'd rather just wait & get it free than buy it now.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2644 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

Munky blows goats. I have proof.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

Isn't Square Enix the dudes at fault?

I have said it many times but despite some stumbles I prefer my WP8 device over my ios and android devices. My needs and wants are different others and it it totally personal pref. Having ios and android devices too I always find myself going back to my WP8. To each his own.

Yeah Square Enix probably deserves some of the blame too.

tylerh1701.png jTZR76M.png

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#2645 Feeni

Feeni

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Just played Temple Run for the first time ever last night with no previous knowledge about it and I have to say I wasn't impressed. I'm kind of surprised by all the hype it's getting. Maybe it's because I played Mirror's Edge first (that is the closest comparison I can think of, just side scrolling instead of over the shoulder) but ME is so much more fun. I found the controls in TR to be pretty unresponsive. Not sure if it is like that on all platforms or not. I actually think I'm going to uninstall TR. If it were a live title I might hang onto it a bit longer but I don't see the need when I already have Mirror's Edge.

#2646 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

Just played Temple Run for the first time ever last night with no previous knowledge about it and I have to say I wasn't impressed. I'm kind of surprised by all the hype it's getting. Maybe it's because I played Mirror's Edge first (that is the closest comparison I can think of, just side scrolling instead of over the shoulder) but ME is so much more fun. I found the controls in TR to be pretty unresponsive. Not sure if it is like that on all platforms or not. I actually think I'm going to uninstall TR. If it were a live title I might hang onto it a bit longer but I don't see the need when I already have Mirror's Edge.

I have Temple Run on my other devices and am not a fan either. It appears to be one of those apps that may have a following and the "journalists" found it a means to discount WP for not having it (until now, but it will be replaced with another). Like another mentioned, subjective as some love the game. There is a list of games on ios that is not on wp that I think are much better games.

Gravity Guy 2 is AWESOME. I was not a huge fan of the first because, well, I totally sucked at it. Gravity Guy 2 kind of resembles jetpack joyride...sort of. Anyway. I very rarely buy a game at full price but since DOTW is on hiatus and this is currently wp exclusive I figured I would support it. Well worth it.

#2647 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:44 PM

Is Mirror's Edge still free for Nokia owners?

I'll be upgrading in a few months, and may end up with a Nokia. If so, I'd rather just wait & get it free than buy it now.

?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2648 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

^I don't think so.

http://www.windowsph...e-download.html

Check out my CAG Blog! NEWEST POST (6/27/14): E3 Wrap Up - Nintendo & Final Thoughts

#2649 Feeni

Feeni

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:30 PM

No, it was free due to a pricing error. I have also heard that those who got it free and then uninstall it have to purchase it to redownload.

#2650 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

^I don't think so.

http://www.windowsph...e-download.html

No, it was free due to a pricing error. I have also heard that those who got it free and then uninstall it have to purchase it to redownload.

Thanks. One more game for my backlog. ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2651 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

Sorry I'm behind on my GDC news posts. I stayed at a hotel with the worst internet imaginable, and it put me way behind. Here's a couple of WP-specific articles:

Qualcomm GDC interview spills the guts about WP's guts

Hands-on with the MOGA Pro Controller and WP at GDC

We've posted several Windows 8 articles from GDC too - follow the GDC tag to find them.

-Paul Acevedo
Editor, Windows Phone Central, iMore, and Android Central
Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo

#2652 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

So, I already have Mr. Jim, but I believe Earthworm Jim it is either on sale or it is now priced at $.99 cents. The game is ok, the controls are the only issue I have with the title. For nostalgia a dollar is good in my book.

Enjoy.

#2653 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:21 PM

Hands-on with the MOGA Pro Controller and WP at GDC

Thank you, Jeebus!

I'll wait to see the full list of compatible games, but I think it's a safe bet I'll be buying one. :bouncy:

So, I already have Mr. Jim, but I believe Earthworm Jim it is either on sale or it is now priced at $.99 cents. The game is ok, the controls are the only issue I have with the title. For nostalgia a dollar is good in my book.

Controls may not be an issue if they add MOGA support. ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2654 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

Enjoy.

Thanks. Luckily I got that one for free a while back.

#2655 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

Thank you, Jeebus!

I'll wait to see the full list of compatible games, but I think it's a safe bet I'll be buying one. :bouncy:

Controls may not be an issue if they add MOGA support. ;)

nice thought! :D

#2656 GunstarRed

GunstarRed

The Rated 'G' Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Gerbil Physics, Z0MB1ES (on teh ph0ne), and as stated earlier Earthworm Jim HD are all currently down to $0.99. Might be the new deal of the week.

#2657 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Microsoft Studios sale marks down 6 Xbox WP games - Lasts through 4/08

Also, the DOTW comes back tomorrow! It will be a game that's been on sale several times already, but let's be glad it's coming back at last. :)

-Paul Acevedo

#2658 nCogNeato

nCogNeato

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:23 PM

Also, the DOTW comes back tomorrow! It will be a game that's been on sale several times already, but let's be glad it's coming back at last. :)

:applause:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2659 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

Guh...I already own all 6 of those. I don't think ilomilo has been on sale in quite a while, so some people may be happy to see that one marked down.

In for Sims 3 for $4.99 tomorrow! Nice to see DotW coming back though, I guess the guys in charge of WP over at MS are finally back from their 3 month vacation.

#2660 Wrong

Wrong

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

What is the game? Or do I just need to wait until tomorrow?

Really glad Zombies is on sale. I love the XBLIG version and even with the wonky controls the WP version is a great pick up for $1.

I thought it was kinda weird the WP version is $3, but the song says the game cost $1. :)

Edited by Wrong, 02 April 2013 - 10:36 PM.

#2661 cancermatt

cancermatt

CAG @ 360Voice.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:52 AM

That MOGA controller looks interesting, if only it was backward compatible with older games, I'd be in. Otherwise, I may hold off for a long time (or skip) until it's worth the purchase price and a lot of games support it.
Posted Image

Please CML: Thanks! :)

#2662 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:01 AM

is there any type of WP7/8 that I can buy without a service plan? I'm kinda an achievement whore...

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#2663 MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad

To the Moon!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:31 AM

is there any type of WP7/8 that I can buy without a service plan? I'm kinda an achievement whore...

You could find a used or unlocked nokia device. Ebay, craigslist? You can probably get a wp7 device on the super cheap. You will miss out on wp8 games but would be a start.

#2664 FlamedLiquid

FlamedLiquid

The Kersed Sowl

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:09 AM

Nokia keeps pimping out the exclusives. 2 more Nokia exclusives:

Vampire Rush $2.99
Storm in a Teacup $2.99

My DVD Collection: http://fiamedliquid.dvdaf.com/
rm8ylt.gif

#2665 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

I bet you really wanted some impressions though!

Glass half full: Nokia brings Vampire Rush and Storm in a Teacup to Windows Phone

-Paul Acevedo

#2666 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

Picked up Gerbil Physics, only one on sale I didn't have.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#2667 voormis

voormis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:12 PM

Haven't read through everything here but is $2.99 the new price for Hydro Thunder or is this on sale currently?

#2668 tylerh1701

tylerh1701

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

On sale this week only.

#2669 eastx

eastx

The Fighting Bomber

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

Amazing Alex and Ms. Splosion Man arrive, won't run on the same phone

-Paul Acevedo

#2670 voormis

voormis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

Seriously, I do my best not to complain. However, why does it seem like EVERYTHING released on the Windows Phone lately has had SOMETHING wrong with it or some type of let down.

Yay, we finally get Temple Run.....oh, with no achievements. Ooohhh, we finally get Ms. Splosion Man....oh, for WP7 only. Oooohh, we finally get an Instagram app that can upload pics....oh, you can't browse Instagram. Yes, Chaos Rings.....if I had an older phone.

Jesus H...