NEW PSP what to get RPG-wise

Lonedragon87

CAGiversary!
Just bought a psp recently due to the price drop. Am a big rpg fan. Saw a ton of rpgs for psp. Any ones you guys recommend?

1. Crisis Core
  2. Crisis Core
  3. Crisis Core
You may not want to play it first though. If you do, all of the other PSP titles will look like they have awful graphics.

I really like Crimson Gem Saga and the Ys series. If you've never played the original, then Lunar RPG is a nice remake, as well. Persona 3 Portable is also highly rated. There's really a lot to recommend, so you might want to provide more specifics on your rpg tastes (for instance, hardcore dungeon grinders and strategians go gaga for Disgaea series and similar-type games from NIS ...but I'm a casual player and can't get into those.)

What kind do you like? Action RPG? Turn-based?

Turn-based:
Persona 3 Portable
Hexyz Force
Crimson Gem Saga
Brave Story: New Traveler
Valkyrie Profile

Action:
Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Not sure if Infinity is being localized, I'm guessing it is)
All the Ys games (Ys Seven being the best)
Crisis Core
Birth By Sleep
Star Ocean 1 and 2

Strategy:
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Disgaea
Jeanne d'Arc
Valkyria Chronicles 2

bought crisis core and valkyrie profile. Love a good turn base rpg. It sucks that these days those type of games dont make it anymore. I know there are a few expections but nothing like the greats

[quote name='Lonedragon87']legend of heroes any good?[/QUOTE]
Stay far far far away from the Legend of Heroes games already out. They're horrible, among the worst RPGs on the PSP.

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, which comes out late March, is the first game in a new LoH trilogy that's already been released in Japan and that entire trilogy is supposed to be amazing.

In short, anything before Trails in the Sky, pass.

Trails in the Sky and the next two games in the trilogy, buy them when they come out.

played lunar on ps1 never did beat it. star ocean are a must played 2 on ps1 a lot but never did beat it. Main reason i bought a psp was for rpgs is the main place where they are. Did ever release suikoden 1 or 2 on psp? I know suikoden 1 is on ps netowork i dl it.

[quote name='Lonedragon87']played lunar on ps1 never did beat it. star ocean are a must played 2 on ps1 a lot but never did beat it. Main reason i bought a psp was for rpgs is the main place where they are. Did ever release suikoden 1 or 2 on psp? I know suikoden 1 is on ps netowork i dl it.[/QUOTE]

They released a UMD with both Sukoden 1+2 on it for PSP in Japan but never in the United States :(

Ys Seven, Ys: The Oath in Felghana, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Knights in the Nightmare, and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII are the reasons I got a PSP some months ago. I've only had a handful of hours of free time thanks to college, but Ys Seven is next on my list.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Half-Minute Hero is the best thing to happen to JRPGs in a decade, if you ask me. Give that a try.[/QUOTE]

This is the answer you are looking for.

Surprised I haven't seen this mentioned, but if you like action RPGs it doesn't get much better than Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. Even if you aren't a KH fan (I wasn't), the game is just incredible.

Jeanne D'arc is definitely my favorite PSP RPG, and one of my favs ever. Great combat interface, story, and characters and cutscenes. Another good one that wasn't mentioned is Tactics Ogre.

The PSP has a really impressive RPG library, I'd even say it has the best overall of any system right now, especially when you factor in the support for PS1 games.

Action RPG:
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core / Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep / Ys: Oath In Felghanna & Seven / Either Star Ocean game (2nd Departure is better)

Tactical RPG:
Jeanne d'arc / Final Fantasy Tactics: War Of The Lions / Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together / Wild Arms XF (Lame story, REALLY hard, GREAT battle system) / Valkyria Chronicles 2

Traditional Turn Based RPG:
Persona 3 Portable / Upcoming Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection / Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth / Lunar: Silver Star Harmony

That should be a good jumping off point.

i have a PSP, and love RPGs, but have yet to purchase one for it...thanks to the OP for making this post, and for everyone who made suggestions. looks like i need to get some gaming cash!

Don't forget Square has 3 new RPG's (2 action based and 1 remake) coming out in the next month all for $30 MSRP:

3-22 FF Dissidia 2
3-29 The 3rd Birthday (ie Parasite Eve 3)
4-19 FF IV: The Complete Collection (FF IV and FF IV: The After Years)

Are people just completely ignoring my post? They keep saying "One that hasn't been mentioned.." and then mention something I already posted lol.

Psp Is by far my favorite choice of systems when it comes to Rpgs… Crisis Core is amazing. Valkyria Chronicles 2 is stunning. And I can’t wait for the 3rd birthday. As far as traditional turn based goes… The classics are the best and there is a ton of remakes like Valkyrie Profile and the soon to be released Final Fantasy IV. But where I spend my time and money is on the psn classics. Final Fantasy 7-9 and Xenogears are where its at!

It's already been posted, but I highly recommend Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. Easily a top 5 RPG of all time for any console.

[quote name='gutter2d']It's already been posted, but I highly recommend Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth. Easily a top 5 RPG of all time for any console.[/QUOTE]

It really is. The story is beautiful, and it stays "mostly" true to the Norse Sagas. The gameplay takes some time to wrap your head around, but a 2nd play could be wildly different from the first, so a better replay is always a welcome option!

[quote name='Lonedragon87']cant wait for FF4 collection[/QUOTE]

ya! can't wait for this either, hopefully it goes up on PSN for us Go'ers!

[quote name='JSiggy']ya! can't wait for this either, hopefully it goes up on PSN for us Go'ers![/QUOTE]
Don't get your hopes up. It seems like a complete crapshoot trying to figure out which SE are gonna be put up on the PSN.

[quote name='TraBuch']What kind do you like? Action RPG? Turn-based?

Turn-based:
Persona 3 Portable
Hexyz Force
Crimson Gem Saga
Brave Story: New Traveler
Valkyrie Profile

Action:
Phantasy Star Portable 2 (Not sure if Infinity is being localized, I'm guessing it is)
All the Ys games (Ys Seven being the best)
Crisis Core
Birth By Sleep
Star Ocean 1 and 2

Strategy:
Tactics Ogre
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
Disgaea
Jeanne d'Arc
Valkyria Chronicles 2[/QUOTE]
Very good list of choices, I think. The only games I feel were left out was probably Wild Arms XF (pretty challenging at times though) and Sid Meier's Pirates.

Like others mentioned there is some stuff to look forward to this month.

PSN also has Grandia, Suikoden, Wild Arms and Vagrant Story, with Threads of Fate, Parasite Eve, and Legend of Mana on the way, if you're interested.

Honestly, there are so many great RPGs on the PSP I really could not give two shits about the NGP at this point.

[quote name='RabbitSuit']
  1. Crisis Core
  2. Crisis Core
  3. Crisis Core
You may not want to play it first though. If you do, all of the other PSP titles will look like they have awful graphics.[/QUOTE]

Probably the Best Game on the PSP, in my opinion of course

i played star ocean 2 on ps1 and loved it had 80 hours in it but couldnt beat it due to a very hard final boss. i bought valkyrie profile already for my psp cant wait to sit down and start playing it.

Very different. Both are very good however. Get Star Ocean first if you're in the mood for an action RPG, get Valyrie Profile first if you want a turn based game right now.

[quote name='TraBuch']Well, they're completely different games..Do you want an action RPG or a turn based RPG?[/QUOTE]

Doesn't really matter to me

[quote name='Cheddahz']Doesn't really matter to me[/QUOTE]
I mean..It's not exactly easy to recommend one over the other when they're completely different games. Star Ocean's a great ARPG and Valkyrie Profile's a great turn-based.

Valkyrie Profile IS a lot harder to get into though. It takes a lot more effort to actually be good at the game and it's more of a grind. You can jump into Star Ocean and play bits at a time, but Valkyrie Profile requires a lot of time.

[quote name='TraBuch']I mean..It's not exactly easy to recommend one over the other when they're completely different games. Star Ocean's a great ARPG and Valkyrie Profile's a great turn-based.

Valkyrie Profile IS a lot harder to get into though. It takes a lot more effort to actually be good at the game and it's more of a grind. You can jump into Star Ocean and play bits at a time, but Valkyrie Profile requires a lot of time.[/QUOTE]

Alright thanks, look like I will be picking up Star Ocean, as I usually play my PSP at school or the bus for tennis matches at differents schools, and from you what you say, I can play a little of it and not lose track

Thanks

If you don't have it, I'd strongly recommend Ys Seven over Star Ocean. It's also an ARPG, but it's better and you can save anywhere (Except for in battles obviously).

[quote name='Lonedragon87']ended up buying legend of heroes 1 and 2 i know there supposed to be bad but am trying anyway.[/QUOTE]

where did you pick up legend of heroes 2? Thats hard to find at a reasonable price. I dont know what the deal was with it. 1 and 3 can be gotten for pretty cheap but 2 is kinda high, especially if you want it new.

Anyway I bought a psp around XMAS for mainly just all the RPGS. a lot of the good ones have been mentioned already, but i want to give a +1 to jean de arc. I meant to play it just for like an hour to make sure the UMD worked, i wound up putting like 8 hours in before i said screw it i dont have time to playt horugh this whole game now.

Its really fun

also huge +1 to Lunar: Silver Star Harmony AWESOME remake. I need to buy a 2nd LE copy to keep sealed. Im actually importing a lot of UK games right now because they get cool limited edition models
Tactics ogre special edition
3rd birthday twisted edition
Final fantasy IV complete collection LE
Dissidia 12 legacy edition
lord of arcania slayer edition
persona 3 portable collectors edition

I picked up Birth By Sleep; Has to be one of the best RPG's I have played on a PSP and probably my most favorite Kingdom Hearts game

bread's done
Back