The March Madness 2011 Thread

dmaul1114

Banned
Didn't bother with a season thread this year as it floundered last, but the March Madness period got a decent amount of posts last year--so here's this year version.

Brackets were announced around 6 pm, and here's a link to them:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket

Tough draw for my alma mater--WVU. 5 seed and get UAB or Clemson (play in game) in the first round and then probably Kentucky. Then overall #1 seed Ohio State if they manage to get through those two games.

Notable snubs this year were Colorado and Virginia Tech. Lot of bitching over UAB and VCU getting in over those two.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Didn't bother with a season thread this year as it floundered last, but the March Madness period got a decent amount of posts last year--so here's this year version.

Brackets were announced around 6 pm, and here's a link to them:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket

Tough draw for my alma mater--WVU. 5 seed and get UAB or Clemson (play in game) in the first round and then probably Kentucky. Then overall #1 seed Ohio State if they manage to get through those two games.

Notable snubs this year were Colorado and Virginia Tech. Lot of bitching over UAB and VCU getting in over those two.[/QUOTE]

I think the play-in games this year might actually be worth watching. I also like how they didn't just give the winners of those to the #1 seed. However, I am surprised that they only gave two games to two brackets, as opposed to one each.

I really hope Kentucky can make another good run, but I don't think this is the year for that team. I wish they would've pulled out some of those nail biters, where they lost 6 games by 13 points. Only one game that they were outclassed and that was UConn. They caught fire at the right time of the season, but I don't think that will carry them too far. Would love to see them make it to Newark or further, but I'll be happy if they start off with a win and look good. Then I will go game by game.

Definitely, not going to be an easy road to Houston potential match-ups of George Mason, Kentucky, Syracuse/UNC then Final Four could be Duke/UNCONN/Texas with the final probably Kansas. However, I think this is the year so Buckeyes all the way baby!

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Definitely, not going to be an easy road to Houston potential match-ups of George Mason, Kentucky, Syracuse/UNC then Final Four could be Duke/UNCONN/Texas with the final probably Kansas. However, I think this is the year so Buckeyes all the way baby![/QUOTE]

I don't think UCONN is going to make it.The team is full of freshmans,and sophomores with Kemba Walker leading them.If he has a bad night then there mostly likely going to lose.I think the final four will be Duke/Kansas/UNC/and BYU.

[quote name='JStryke']I'll be cheering for Morehead. No particular reason. I just like chanting it. :razz:[/QUOTE]

kentucky-girls-love-dick.jpg

No way Duke gets to Final Four. They are too one dimensional this year. My team (FSU) and VTech both easily exposed them.

My final four picks are Ohio St, UConn, Kansas, BYU. With Ohio St beating Kansas in the Final.

I feel bad for Virginia Tech. They really got screwed.

UConn's my team but they are going to be tired from the 5 games in 5 days thing. They have to be. If they can get by the first and 2nd rounds though, watch out!

Look for Belmont to pull and upset. And Richmond. Probably a bunch more too. Now I need to go pick my bracket :)

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Is there going to be a CAG March Madness this year?[/QUOTE]

I'll make one now, and post info shortly.

I'm happy three teams from my state got in Michigan, Michigan State, and Oakland. I hope Oakland has a good run. I love how all these folks think Ohio State is going to win when have one of the shortest benches in the Nation all they have to do is get in foul trouble and its over for them.

Really hope BYU makes it to the final four. I'm nervous without Davies though. But hell, when Jimmer's busy dropping 52 I don't think they seem to notice too much.

Rooting for them and Texas this year, but they get a tough draw against dook in the sweet sixteen. Not sure who I want in that matchup. I always end up picking my teams to do well and getting burned every year haha. (Remember Syracuse vs UVM a few years ago? 06 maybe? had cuse in the Final 4 and they got upset in the first round lol)

I'm pulling for Notre Dame, but its going to be hard for them to get to the Final 4.

I have Utah State causing some upsets, biggest getting to the elite 8 by beating Pitt.

The only other upsets I have are Richmond over Vandy, and Belmont beating Wisconsin.

So will CBS no longer cut away to games in progress? I get the impression they aren't going to show me any of the Butler game, they keep mentioning "True TV" as if I am able to tune in such a channel, were it to exist. Why not put the games on Oxygen ffs?

They wound up going to ODU/Butler with :36 left. Cutting it a little too close IMO.

I know they've got them all covered through cable, but in the past CBS would hop around and show the really good, close games as they were in progress. That's changed, a little. Guess they gotta bump up those True TV numbers.

That's because they've got other networks covering those games, so they don't need to constantly switch between games unless their current game is over early.

There are 2 versions of TruTV on DirecTV. It's not an uncommon channel.

I picked Clemson and ODU. Damn. Bill Plaschke's bracket is fucked now, too.

[quote name='dothog']They wound up going to ODU/Butler with :36 left. Cutting it a little too close IMO.

I know they've got them all covered through cable, but in the past CBS would hop around and show the really good, close games as they were in progress. That's changed, a little. Guess they gotta bump up those True TV numbers.[/QUOTE]

I think it's much better this way since now with cable or satellite you can watch all of every game.

Add in online streaming if you have broadband and you can have 2+ games going at all times.

Love it personally. Sucks if you don't have cable/satellite, but that's the norm. If you're a big sports fan, having cable or satellite is a must.

[quote name='Matt Young']There are 2 versions of TruTV on DirecTV. It's not an uncommon channel.
[/QUOTE]

It's just the SD and HD feed. I think the added the HD feed just for this as I don't recall having Tru TV in HD before I checked today.

WOW @ Morehead!!

Also if anyone wants easier or like me and quit cable for online tv... CBS.com streams all the games live. I watched Cards lose while watching UK on the big screen.

Louisville was never really in that game. Morehead played their hearts out and it showed.

Wow nice job Temple another exciting game in the books.

[quote name='themaster20000']Very good start to the tournament.Every game has been really good so far.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, the Clemson vs WVU game was really good too until the end when Clemson kept turning the ball over.

Clemson choked big time. They were up about 10 nearing the end of the first half before letting West Virginia tie it up and then go up by 10+ for most of the second half until the end.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Holy shit Princeton just tied it with 34 secs left!

Edit: Kentucky up by two with 2 secs left!

Kentucky narrowly escapes a huge upset.[/QUOTE]

Damn, would have loved to see that upset since WVU gets the winner.

Oh well, just have to knock UK out of the tourney for the 2nd straight year!

That was a great game. I knew they'd come ahead when they went on a tear with three point shots to tie and get the lead in the middle of the second half.

According to Stat Boy, the record for most games decided by two points or less in one day is five and we're already at four with eight games left to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kept telling myself if not for playing Louisville, I should have picked Morehead and I was tempted too regardless. Should have gone with my heart on that one.

And of course my cinderella (who I had going to the elite 8) decides to lose. Badly. Meh.

Come on no one was going to pick Morehead St. That was a super reach.

Louisville to me is the only upset so far in the tourney. Every other win was expected in my eyes. It was great though to see these games close.

"For what it's worth, I wanted to pick them just because I love their name."
- every secretary who wins the office pool

UK game was way to close for comfort! Bounce back game versus WV I hope. Although I have um losing to OSU in my pools.

UCLA bracket buster in the works as you know everyone loves MSU come tourney time. Not sure if they did it every year but i'm enjoying the streaming of every single game on cbs.com. Big screen + lap top ftw

[quote name='$hady']UCLA bracket buster in the works as you know everyone loves MSU come tourney time. Not sure if they did it every year but i'm enjoying the streaming of every single game on cbs.com. Big screen + lap top ftw[/QUOTE]

I didn't buy Mich St. They look so unimpressive all season. It is not the same team as last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAUVV8BXwlI

bread's done
Back