CAGcast #233: Earthquaked!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]CheapyD talks life in Tokyo during the quake, Ship talks Homefront, and Wombat just talks. We've also got the latest industry and shopping news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more!

[podcast]142[/podcast]
Download - 78 minutes, 47MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Glad to see you're okay enough out there to make a CAGcast Cheapy! As soon as I saw the news my thoughts went to you and your family and I'm very happy to see that you're okay, I know we've never talked or anything but listening to you for years has made me care about your well-being.

Best of luck and be safe. You're the closest thing I got to friends in Japan.

Also your a trooper for helping donate so much.

Oye Cheapy, muchacho, como que una hora y despues en Raptr te dice cuatro? Ese terremoto te dejo loquito, broki, no vaciles.

Now, seriously, Cheapy sounds a bit "off", but it's understandable. As usual, great job, guys. Hope everything gets better for everyone in Japan. I'll donate some money through CAG as soon as I get paid (next week, since I'm broke after paying the bills this week).

Damn Cheapy, even in the face of disasters you bring us a new podcast? I hope you realize that you've now set a precedent, If you can make a podcast after earthquakes and tsunamis, you can NEVER miss another week. ;)
Thanks, here's hoping you and your family stay safe in the face of all this.

[quote name='Blackout']Not even an 8.9 quake can stop Cheapy D. :)[/QUOTE]

Actually they upped the estimate to a 9.0. And since the richter scale grows exponentially a 9.0 is about 450 bazillion times stronger than an 8.9. Of course that is an estimate on my part, and yes, bazillion is a real number.

Best to you, your family, and your countrymates, Cheapy. Thank you for keeping us connected to a world we see only in pictures and with people who need good karma and all the support we can muster.

Protip: If you wanna mess with Shippy, give him some Dr. Pepper.

For the DA2 Metacritic controversy, I've been loving the game and all those user reviews on Metacritic were backlash for the changes they made to the game since I doubt anyone could complete the game the day it came out. DA2 was being lambasted before it was even out in many forums. A lot of people only judged the game from the demo which was a poor representation of the full game anyway. So yea, no one gives a shit about user reviews about Metacritic. F them.

Btw, I'm shocked there was no discussion about DA2 at all except for the controversy. Maybe next week?

Last edited by a moderator:
As usual, great show. I've gotta add that I was pretty excited about getting my Cyndi Lauper tweet mentioned on the show. Good to know that you're still in a mood to laugh at terrible jokes, Cheapy.

Shipwreck- I had the exact same "Tetris" problem with Slam Bolt Scrappers! I think this game could be really great with four people in the same room. "However, it's similar to Smash Bros. in that the craziness of it all is lost over the internet.

Good to hear everything is okay in Japan Cheapy.

The part you guys aren't accounting for regarding 5% of games in 2010 being rated "M" is that another 5% were rated "T" and the other 90% were rated "E" shovelware motion games.

dissidia 2 demo (not calling it by it's proper name...too lazy to care). it's sort of square's attempt to do the case zero thing. standalone storyline and bonus unlockable content (costume for tifa).

Cheapy, you totally could have played it off as the 'swaying buildings' are popular. Anyway great show, I'm glad to hear the cheapies are safe and unscathed. I'll be looking forward to future reports from my man in Japan about the recovery of the country.

[quote name='Kung Fu ZEPHYR']Here's how you know Cheapy is going to hell --- "Don't pray for us, send money to Japan (18:08 mark)".[/QUOTE]

This had me laughing. I hate when people just send their "wishes" or wear bracelets or send texts or whatever. They do NOTHING. You want to make an effort, send money. Sounds wrong, but when it comes to something like this, or curing disease, etc...money is what helps.

Glad to know you and your family are safe Cheapy

Great podcast, Cheapy. It's interesting to here the reality in Tokyo vs the US media. They were reporting all the stores there are barren of food and water.

I have to say though, I thought your prayer comment was quite disrespectful to people of faith. I understand if you meant that prayers alone are not enough. Money is needed too, but it came off as you saying prayers are worthless and do nothing to help. Maybe most of your listeners are atheists, but some of us do believe in prayer. At least it shows that we do care about the Japanese ppl.

Wombat, the UCLA girl wasn't removed from school for her video. The video responses to it were hilarious, though. Here's the original video if you still haven't seen it Cheapy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg3tIERI-D4&feature=related

And this is the best parody I've found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zulEMWj3sVA

Anyway, it was a great show. I'm glad to hear you and your family are safe Cheapy. I live in California, so whenever a big quake happens, you'll always hear discussion from news stations about when it will be our turn. :whistle2:(

I hope the nuclear situation doesn't get any worse for Japan.

Wow, that was pretty classless of Lisa G squeezing in an iPhone app plug during an interview about the earthquake. And why the hell did she want to hear the television?

[quote name='Kung Fu ZEPHYR']Here's how you know Cheapy is going to hell --- "Don't pray for us, send money to Japan (18:08 mark)".[/QUOTE]

I know, right? I wish doctors would stop relying on surgery and medicine and would just start praying more.

Not to be crass or tasteless but I was surprised when everyone said what they had for problems Ships says tornados, Cheapy says earthquakes and Wombat says nothing or snow. Did you forget about the terrorists? It just seemed like the thing Wombat would say and he didn't.

Cheapy I'm very happy you guys are safe!

Cheapy, don't worry about money not coming to japan. CCP the makers of Eve online is doing Plex for good: Japan.

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=876

basically, what they are doing is using the In-game money of Eve, converting it into real life cash and donating it to the people in need. This would be the 3rd time that CCP and players of eve online helped the real world.

I just wanted you to know this, and I hope if you could tell your listeners to help push their mmo developers to do the same thing. well... that's if they have a currency trade for real to ingame money deal.

If things get worse, Cheapy should definitely come back to Hawaii. Then, invite Wombat and Ship, and have a "LIVE from Hawaii CAGCast." Ok, it doesn't have to be live, but having the 3 together at somewhere besides E3 is always a treat.

I must say, I kind of thought you may not make it this week because of the quake. But when I actually saw CAGcast downloading this morning I smiled and thought, "Hell Yeah... these guys rock." And just to be clear, its not like I really needed to hear you talk about games... its just the personalities, CAGcast is part of the weekly routine. Thanx guys.

My wife is a nongamer for the most part, she'll play with me or the kids on occassion but she'd rather sit with a good book or if I am playing a cool story based game she will watch, for example she likes the Mass Effect story. She has finished Super Mario 64 but that was before we had kids. I listened to this weeks cagcast and I hoped that I got exactly what I did get which was an intelligent detail of what happened as you remembered it. I came home and told my wife who was interested because I mentioned Cheapy's tweet that he was ok and she asked to listen to her first cagcast. She really enjoyed it and she was done when it got to games but we wanted to thank you for giving us such detail. I think the strongest earthquake I ever felt was maybe a 4 and the most frightening thing I experienced was while I was traveling for work down in Nashville in April of 1998 and a tornado ripped through I went underground in a dirt mine and I got to see the inside of a funnel. felt like it lasted forever but there is no aftershocks from that experience, we were just happy that the funnel missed the river that was 100 yards from us or we'd probably be dead. Anyways, most important thing is your wife and child are ok prayers and money are going towards Japan.

[quote name='4thHorseman']This had me laughing. I hate when people just send their "wishes" or wear bracelets or send texts or whatever. They do NOTHING. You want to make an effort, send money. Sounds wrong, but when it comes to something like this, or curing disease, etc...money is what helps.

Glad to know you and your family are safe Cheapy[/QUOTE]

Wow! . . . . HAHAHAHA!!!!....I didn't think anyone would actually quote my post. It was meant to be a crack at Cheapy since his first plea for help was asking for money. I'm not denying the fact that sending money to Japan would be VERY helpful (My wife and I donated to the red cross earlier this week - they matched 200% of our donation) but praying for them would also be helpful even though you might not think so.

The fact of the matter is that I'm not looking to question or judge anyone's faith or religion, but for those of you who think money is the only way to solve anything, I'll be praying for you ;)

I'm glad to hear you and your family are ok. It's refreshing to hear a first hand account of what happened rather than the stuff you hear on the news.

Thanks for taking the time to put the podcast together, Cheapy. I know you must have a lot going on right now.

[quote name='Kung Fu ZEPHYR']Wow! . . . . HAHAHAHA!!!!....I didn't think anyone would actually quote my post. It was meant to be a crack at Cheapy since his first plea for help was asking for money. I'm not denying the fact that sending money to Japan would be VERY helpful (My wife and I donated to the red cross earlier this week - they matched 200% of our donation) but praying for them would also be helpful even though you might not think so.

The fact of the matter is that I'm not looking to question or judge anyone's faith or religion, but for those of you who think money is the only way to solve anything, I'll be praying for you ;)[/QUOTE]

*shrugs* I don't see what's so crazy about thinking the way I do. I've never had a wish or prayer build me a house.

[quote name='4thHorseman']*shrugs* I don't see what's so crazy about thinking the way I do. I've never had a wish or prayer build me a house.[/QUOTE]

qft

hey Wombat I was watching aznlibrary
and I think you have it a bit backwards. She kinda starts out a touch racist and then gets to her more reasonable argument at the end. not to imply that it matters all that much.

anyway thanks for a great show guys sure you could have been talking down nervous relatives instead.

[quote name='4thHorseman']This had me laughing. I hate when people just send their "wishes" or wear bracelets or send texts or whatever. They do NOTHING. You want to make an effort, send money. Sounds wrong, but when it comes to something like this, or curing disease, etc...money is what helps.

Glad to know you and your family are safe Cheapy[/QUOTE]I can not like this response enough. Prayers and well wishes are for those doing them, not the victims. It used to bug the hell out of me when ornate yellow ribbons were the fad. I would see houses with their whole front yard decked out in that. If people sent that money to the USO or veteran charities it would do so much more.

[quote name='Wolfkin']hey Wombat I was watching aznlibrary
and I think you have it a bit backwards. She kinda starts out a touch racist and then gets to her more reasonable argument at the end. not to imply that it matters all that much.

anyway thanks for a great show guys sure you could have been talking down nervous relatives instead.[/QUOTE]

A tad racist? She was racist from the beginning to end. 100%. That's like saying Charles Manson was a tad of a serial killer.

I think cheapyd is telling us to pray for the dead, and injured and donate money to get Japan back to recovery. That's all, don't interpret it any more than that. This is after all a gaming podcast and not 20/20 with Barbara Walters.

bread's done
Back