(DEAD - up to $15.99)Eternal Sonata PS3 - $9.99 FS with Prme - Amazon

Finally, the correct price for this game.

Not a bad game IF you're in love with the JRPG genre; but if you're not, stay far away: this game is as boring as sin. Super linear with way too much childish melodrama, slow pacing, and way too many cut-scenes. Battle system is slightly unique, but not enough so to carry the whole game. Minimal amounts of gear and character building round out the entire package of "meh".

Like I said: good game IF you're in love with the JRPG genre; anyone else--including people on the fence--can find much better ways to spend their gaming time and/or get their JRPG fix. People seem to put this game on a pedestal b/c of the lack of good JRPG's these days, especially on the PS3. It doesn't deserve to be on a pedestal.

Just my two cents, though I'm sure people will be flaming the hell out of me.

[quote name='AwRy108']Finally, the correct price for this game.

Not a bad game IF you're in love with the JRPG genre; but if you're not, stay far away: this game is as boring as sin. Super linear with way too much childish melodrama, slow pacing, and way too many cut-scenes. Battle system is slightly unique, but not enough so to carry the whole game. Minimal amounts of gear and character building round out the entire package of "meh".

Like I said: good game IF you're in love with the JRPG genre; anyone else--including people on the fence--can find much better ways to spend their gaming time and/or get their JRPG fix. People seem to put this game on a pedestal b/c of the lack of good JRPG's these days, especially on the PS3. It doesn't deserve to be on a pedestal.

Just my two cents, though I'm sure people will be flaming the hell out of me.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played the game yet (I do own it), but I been feeling "meh" about JRPG's since I bought my PS3. I bought it at $20 but I am sure it's easily worth $10.

*No* Trophies in the PS3 version of this.

$10 is my pricepoint, but my backlog says I'd never get a chance to play it. :(

That is indeed a good price for a console JRPG. Dam, I bought this when it was $20 few months ago and I still haven't played it yet. I wished I had waited on this. :wall:Yeah, so much for the game being "out of print" and likely hard to find.

I got this when it was $30, since I bought into that out of print reasoning (not falling for that again). It reminds me at bit of Tales, and I got it for that reason. I can't say it was worth that amount of money, but for $10 that certainly is a deal. It's not a bad game, even if the story may be odd or incoherent at times.

I bought this last month for 16.99, thinking it wouldn't get any lower from Hubbagames. Dammit! 9.99 is a no brainer.

It's a good game for $10 but I hope you like characters that are longer winded than Hamlet.

I really should finish this game. I'm right near the freaking end!

I finished this for the 360 long ago. If you are a fan of jrpg's then get it. If you only buy the good jrpg's, don't bother. This game starts out fun and it is quite charming with the beautiful art but that only lasts so long. There are a couple of dungeons that are simply long and annoying. One towards the begining is a maze and most people will probably use a walkthrough on it. This game makes you wonder why jrpg's stick to the 'save points' when we all know that modern consoles are capable of saving anywhere in games.

This quickly introduces the typical 'evil empire'. The game becomes a boring chore to get through about halfway through. After forcing yourself through the middle part of the game, the over-all empire story is tied up in a confusing package and that story plot is quickly abandoned...the ending is fine. If you have seen any anime series with a wtf ending then you know what to expect.

Non-jrpg fans will hate this game. As a jrpg fan, I thought it was alright and well worth $10 but don't expect the game's charm to be enough to make the entire experience enjoyable. For a fan, it's worth a play through. You have to play through it twice to do everything. I couldn't bring myself to play it again.

Decisions, decisions. I've thought about getting this game for a while, but I'm still trying to work though my backlog. I'm starting to come to the realization that I won't get to play all the games I want to, but I'm still a sucker for deals! . . . And JRPGs!

i had a feeling one day this would hit 9.99, good thing i waited for a while and i just recently beaten Star ocean 4 so in for 1!

Bah picked this up at the AWD for 12.99 couple weeks ago Haha go figure. While the story may seem childish or melodramatic the art style is wonderful. I would say worth $10 easy.

[quote name='AwRy108']Finally, the correct price for this game.

Just my two cents, though I'm sure people will be flaming the hell out of me.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%. I'm not a massive JRPG fan, but I have played and enjoyed my fair share the last couple of generations. This one was definitely not one of them. The childish melodrama was the worst aspect of the game. Going in, I was intrigued by the concept behind the story, but the script was just so god awful that it killed it for me.

[quote name='wilflare']is the co-op engaging enough for play?[/QUOTE]

I could be wrong since I haven't played co-op, but this game is a turn-based game. I don't know why you'd need/want co-op.

Thanks Op. I picked it up earlier today with Bioshock 2. Threw a $3 item for free shipping. Been waiting a while for Eternal Sonata to drop this low.

I picked this up earlier today when the deal was originally posted. Thanks for the heads up. I've been wanting to embiggen my PS3 library and this has been a game that has eluded me for years.

[quote name='Mastastic']I've been wanting to embiggen my PS3 library...[/QUOTE]

You've certainly embiggened my vocabulary. Although, all these years of exposure to late-night TV infomercials that promise embiggenment, you'd think I'd be familiar with the term by now.

I'm really skeptical I will like this game, but given the disdain with which our pastime is viewed by the culturati, any game that includes Chopin deserves a purchase- err, to be boughten.

bread's done
Back