• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#31 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

Shipwreck,
There is an app on the PS3 you can download called Adhoc Party. It fools the PSP into thinking there's PSP's in the same room as you, but it allows you to play the ad hoc mode of PSP games online. It being a Sony app though there are two minor-major issues:

You have to connect your PSP to the PS3 with a USB cable and you have to be using a wired broadband connection (wired into a router is ok) on the PS3 instead of wireless.

The interface is god awful and confusing.

Once you get it working though its great, no lag. CAG Joe2187 and I played VC 2 with no problems. If you want to try it out sometime, I can send you my list of PSP games and we could play something, or just put it up on Twitter and I'm sure there are others that will do it with you (you have to create a "room" inside the app and you can have up to 20 people in that room.)

Cheapy/Wombat,
I also keep my wallet in my front pocket to avoid getting stolen/sitting on it. I usually wear Dockers so the pockets are bigger. I have my wallet/keys in my front right pocket, and my IPhone & Zune in my front left pocket.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#32 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:31 PM

I'd like it if PS3's cloud saving could hold my mandatory installs, because it sure ain't my gamesaves that filled my hard drive.

Wombat, maybe it's intentional that you haven't seen much advertisment for Crysis 2 where you live because it's about a pretty obliterated New York City. Then again, when have video game companies ever been sensitive with their marketing?

Have you guys visited vgchartz.com? They post weekly sales charts. They even split 360 and PS3 sale numbers. I don't know where they get their figures, they could be making them all up. According to them, Homefront's first week was better than week one & two for Dragon Age 2.
Homefront's long term sales aren't really the key to their profit strategy. If you've played the game, you know it's set up to be very episodic. They invested the marketing and initial setup to establish a franchise. They'll probably try to milk it every year like Call Of Duty.

Oh, and Cheapy, I sent you a friend request on PS3 two and a half years ago. Perhaps if you can get around to denying it, it might free up a slot to let someone else you actually want on your list.

P.S. Chiropractors warn against back-pocket wallets, because it unbalances your posture and screws with your spine alignment. Unless you have an equal sized wallet in both pockets, I suppose.

#33 tigstah

tigstah

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

people still carry a wallet. really.
i have my cash and cards in my front pocket with a money clip....problem solved.

another good show gents...:applause:

#34 Jrittmayer

Jrittmayer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:07 PM

Cags on news :D :D :D

#35 TooMuchCoolness

TooMuchCoolness

Deep Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

Wombat sucks.

#36 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

Regarding Cracker Barrel me and my wife had a conversation about racism at Cracker Barrel; Because there's a seeing in the front of the store saying that they accept all people regardless of their race. Here in Miami, there are two cracker barrels I've been to both of them several times and I've always been treated really well. Sometimes it takes getting sued to get companies to get their act together. I just hope they aren't spitting in my food.. but damn those Pancakes are so damn GOOD!!!!
Posted Image

#37 Gennolli

Gennolli

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

The 'e' in eBay does not stand for Electronic. They wanted the domain echobay.com but that was taken.

http://en.wikipedia....ins_and_history

#38 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:29 AM

You guys didn't know Cracker Barrel discriminated against people? There's a racial slur in the name for crying out loud.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#39 Gimgak

Gimgak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:02 AM

Awesome, listening now

#40 Rxanadu

Rxanadu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:03 AM

First thing I thought of with the opening song was SpeedGrapher's original theme song sequence. Is that weird?
Posted Image

#41 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:10 AM

You guys didn't know Cracker Barrel discriminated against people? There's a racial slur in the name for crying out loud.

I hate it when people call me 'Barrel'. Words can hurt like a fist.

#42 AriesDog

AriesDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:11 AM

Just wanted to fact check what Wombat said about the Zune. All the "Zune Is Dead" stories originated from one Bloomberg News article quoting an unnamed source. Here's the facts. Soon after the Zune HD was released (to a lot of positive reviews) they said that it would probably be the last dedicated Zune device. Going forward, Windows Phone 7 devices would be the new Zune devices. They outlined these plans 18 months ago! This was not news!

Zune, the music and video service, and Zune Pass, the music subscription service, continue to be available on Zune devices, Windows PCs, Xbox 360, and many, many models of Windows Phone 7. Just four months ago Zune expanded from U.S. only to international. It's not going away anytime soon.

Bonus Zune Fact: CAGcast is currently ranked #44 on the Entertainment: Games podcasts rankings in the Zune Marketplace.

Edited by banodyne, 31 March 2011 - 01:38 AM.
Added bonus fun fact

#43 codenamelenny

codenamelenny

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:23 AM

Good podcast, it's cool that you mentioned mute crimson. I am friends with apoxxle and was a tester for the game.

#44 WhipSmartBanky

WhipSmartBanky

Bring on the free hooch!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:15 AM

:rofl: I love those suggestions! You're totally going to regret saying it because now I'm going to do it.

You watch.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#45 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:21 AM

Nice CAGcast, guys - moved really fast.

Cloud Saves...why would we want 'em? In case our system takes a crap. My PS3 sank while streaming some video two years ago - just stopped, took a huge dump and needed a complete re-install. My 60%-ish completion on Demon's Souls was kaput. Of course I back up that sucker now, but a Cloud Save would've totally saved the day.

Crysis 2 - man, totally down with that one. The multiplayer demo was terrible, glad to hear all the feedback is positive. Can't wait.

Dragon Age 2 - it's an odd beast. I have a love-hate relationship with it. I want to love it and am actually enjoying the story (about midway through Act 3, I'd guess), but kinda hate playing it - it feels like one huge fetch quest. The fighting has lost its strategic edge, which was what I really enjoyed about it. Ah well. Guess I'll finish it and get back to Dead Space. =)

#46 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

I'd like it if PS3's cloud saving could hold my mandatory installs, because it sure ain't my gamesaves that filled my hard drive.

Wombat, maybe it's intentional that you haven't seen much advertisment for Crysis 2 where you live because it's about a pretty obliterated New York City. Then again, when have video game companies ever been sensitive with their marketing?

Have you guys visited vgchartz.com? They post weekly sales charts. They even split 360 and PS3 sale numbers. I don't know where they get their figures, they could be making them all up. According to them, Homefront's first week was better than week one & two for Dragon Age 2.
Homefront's long term sales aren't really the key to their profit strategy. If you've played the game, you know it's set up to be very episodic. They invested the marketing and initial setup to establish a franchise. They'll probably try to milk it every year like Call Of Duty.

Oh, and Cheapy, I sent you a friend request on PS3 two and a half years ago. Perhaps if you can get around to denying it, it might free up a slot to let someone else you actually want on your list.

P.S. Chiropractors warn against back-pocket wallets, because it unbalances your posture and screws with your spine alignment. Unless you have an equal sized wallet in both pockets, I suppose.

See cancellation of Disaster Report series and indefinite delay of Motorstorm: Apocalypse for sensitivity.

VGChartz numbers are HIGHLY questioned around the net. If you mention them on NeoGaf for example, you're permabanned.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes, Stitcher Radio, or YouTube.
42869.png

#47 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:31 AM

My interest in XBL Indie Games are ruined by the limitation of the MS points system. Indie devs are complaining about user ratings that are screwing them over now.

I keep my wallet in my front pocket because it's harder to swipe and it's better for my tailbone/spine. My DS and PSP fit in the other pocket just fine, so I can't imagine how small the pockets of complainers must be.

The cloud saves are for storage, so you can keep locked or important saves stored safely without fear that a dead system or accident will cause them to lose their saves.

I'd love to see Zune Marketplace be removed from the dashboard, as it's ruined the video library and marketplace, though deleting made it possible to find the few videos I had on my hard drive.

Decent show.

As usual:

The current link dump is far too inadequate for what is actually discussed on the show and does a huge disservice to the people that want to be more informed about those topics. You talk about more news than is listed in the OP and just causes people like the one a few posts up to ask for more details. Then there are the games you talk about in-depth but only mention the name once at the very beginning, so they need to be listed so those of us that miss the name don't need to listen multiple times to figure that out. Finally, there are just the random websites you talk about that also need to be linked because of the large amount of people that can't tell how Raptr is spelled from an audio aspect. As it is, the link dump is a disappointment.

I also wanted to mourn the death of the CAGbag, which has been neglected by Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck for long enough that the thread might as well be locked and the link removed from the OP because you guys never use/support it any more. You only support the people that follow you on Twitter and ignore those that actually use/support the site that gave you guys the opportunity to even do a podcast in the first place. You'll never get to 100,000 downloads without fostering the community that you blame for the CAGbag's death. You ignored them and they stopped asking questions.*

*Added dramatic tone for the purpose of getting this concern noticed.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#48 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 31 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

100% of all questions from the last show were from the CAGbag

#49 volt1up

volt1up

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:01 AM

My interest in XBL Indie Games are ruined by the limitation of the MS points system. Indie devs are complaining about user ratings that are screwing them over now.

The cloud saves are for storage, so you can keep locked or important saves stored safely without fear that a dead system or accident will cause them to lose their saves.

How the Fuck did none of them understand this? Im not reallly sure what the hell Ship was talking about, streaming what at work? Your saves? wtf

Sidenote: I noticed something really annoying about the Xbox indie games, you are locked out of them (can't launch them) if you dont sign in to xbox live. Not a problem most of the time, but when it is, it is fucking annoying.

#50 drkshr

drkshr

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

I definitely enjoyed this weeks CAG cast, thanks for taking the time to do it up. Filled with lots of laughs.

#51 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:09 AM

How the Fuck did none of them understand this? Im not reallly sure what the hell Ship was talking about, streaming what at work? Your saves? wtf

Sidenote: I noticed something really annoying about the Xbox indie games, you are locked out of them (can't launch them) if you dont sign in to xbox live. Not a problem most of the time, but when it is, it is fucking annoying.

I was talking about Amazon's new cloud service and streaming content like videos and music. I didn't make myself clear on that during the show.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#52 wayno187

wayno187

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

No offense, cheapy, but I think you and Howard Stern are the only married people who use condoms. There are so many other forms of birth control that don't completely ruin the feeling. Hell, even my wife hates condoms. And don't give me that "holding out longer" bs, who are you trying to impress at this point?! Just pull out, dude!
Posted Image

#53 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

Resident Evil 4 is also my favorite shooter of all time, Wombat, and that's actually a widely held opinion (Edge ranked it the 4th best game of all time a couple of years ago) so don't worry about Cheapy's taunting or Shipwreck's wrongness.

http://www.next-gen....today?page=0,10

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#54 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

yeah marriage & condoms? I hate condoms. Is that a Jew thing? LIke the little hats you have to wear? I suppose you need Kosher Condoms too? Tested out on a real cock that doesn't spit out its cud. Forgive me I don't know the Jewish customs in much detail.

I don't even know where the CagBag is so I never post questions to it. Besides isn't this show thread the same thing? Never understood why there is another place to ask questions that get read on the show. Why not the show thread? OR do they get answered elsewhere too? Maybe a link would help. A link in this thread.

If you want folks to use parts of the site or at least try them then you need to do some advertising on your own site once in awhile. Reminder advertising. But yeah I mostly just listen to the show and check for deals. No time to do all the other stuff. Not my cup of tea either. I'm not that nerdy.

Oh and I say with the wife shoe and clothing blob that grows everyday....well you need to be pro-active. Take a pair of shoes or an article of clothing every week that she hasn't worn in 3 years and sneak it down to the basement into a locked container marked "nerd stuff." This will be gradual enough of a process that there will be minimal collateral damage.

#55 Walt Jay

Walt Jay

Gamerscore Whore

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

Good show guys -- I think Wombat should do an Xbox Indie Game of the Week segment. Like the monthly thread on NeoGAF, hearing suggestions of what to check out would be helpful since it can be difficult in finding the good stuff.
Posted Image

#56 GOTA

GOTA

Posted 31 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

Great CAGcast this week. Those comments about what happens when your love interest moves in during Dragon Age II were priceless.

#57 nateeasy29

nateeasy29

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

I think the cagcast needs a new sponsor

#58 Falion

Falion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

Oh man... Cheapy's "Dragon Age housewife" voice had me rolling with laughter. :D

#59 Darknyss

Darknyss

Trophies 4TW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

I don't even think Sony's service should be referred to as "cloud saving". To me, it's more like an online file locker. If the games were reading and writing to the cloud, my opinion would change.

The whole process is fairly tedious/cumbersome. While it does have some uses like backing up locked saves or making it easier on those with multiple PS3s, it's essentially the same as plugging in a USB stick and copying the file.

I know Sony has said that in the future devs will have the ability to save automatically into the cloud. I'd definitely take advantage of this; however I am still skeptical, because if any other PSN features (i.e. game invites, YouTube support, custom music playlists, etc) are an indication, this will not be consistent and be left up to the developer to incorporate.

That's one of the most frustrating things about PSN -- lack of standardization!

Cheapy: I whole-heartily agree about the MobileMe saving for iOS. This MUST be implemented. I don't have an iPad yet (will eventually) and would be pretty bummed if I couldn't pick up where I left off on the iPhone.

Ship: I too kinda shrugged at the amazon announcement. Though it was mainly due to me being so tied to iTunes/iOS. That said, if (when?) Apple does something similar, I think it would be very useful. Putting music in the cloud frees up a lot of space for other stuff on the device while still making it accessible on 3G or WiFi. It could also mean we'd be closer to wireless syncing. Plugging in that USB cable can get annoying.

#60 walterqchocobo

walterqchocobo

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

Yay--CAGs on News is back!